Anonymous
Years ago

AJ Ogilvy to enter Draft

Looks like AJ might be dropping out of school early..

Wise move?

Topic #22718 | Report this topic

orbit  
Years ago

No where near good enough for pros. He would be an average nbl player.

Reply #273572 | Report this post

Nard Dog  
Years ago

Why aren't these cats finishing Uni to gain a degree etc?

Reply #273573 | Report this post

Shackle  
Years ago

Money. Maybe his agent has gotten word that a few teams are willing to draft him. But agreed not a player that will make much impact in th NBA. Maybe thinks worse case take that big body of his to euro land

Reply #273581 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The only benefit AJ has in entering this draft is there is a lack of centres, and he does has a decent back to the basket game (somewhat of a dying art in the NBA). His best year was as a freshman and hasn't done much over the last 2 seasons.

Unless he flukes himself into the 1st round or gets a deal like Patty Mills he won't be seeing any NBA money. Best case, bottom of the 2nd round.

Reply #273584 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

After following AJ's progress throughout the past 3 years, I think there may be a few factors coming into play that have contributed to AJ making this decision.

After an amazing freshman season playing alongside SEC player of the year Shan Foster, his production has dropped off each year. Firstly, last season he battled injuries nearly all season long, and this season got off to a bad start as he battled to overcome a concussion to commence the season. He was alwaysplaying catchup from that point on. Also, the emergence of both Beal and Taylor took some of the focus off his game, thus he started to receive fewer touches. But I also think that the coaching of Stallings had something to do with this as well. In games where Vandy lost in close one's, Vandy rarely looked to the big fella. However in the close wins, they went inside to AJ and he delivered 9 times out of 10. He had some standout games scoring wise, but also some lower points, but for me this is because he was not getting the touches. AJ was therefore starting to be branded inconsistent, IMO in most cases this was unfair.

His minutes per game were well down on the past 2 seasons as well, and I think that everything combined together in not getting touches, his minutes being reduced, and some potential frustration with his coach may have played a part. Also, if AJ were to have another 'inconsistent' season as a senior, his stocks could be damaged even further.

So is nominating for the NBA draft the best thing for AJ? I really can't say. However he must have heard some positive things to nominate so early, and coupled with the fact there are not too many standout centre's that are likely to nominate for this year's draft increase his chances of geting drafted. His agent thinks he will go late first round, however I doubt he will unless he really impresses in team workouts. I can definitely see him getting picked mid-second round.

Vandy Link: http://linky.com.au/smfg3

Reply #273585 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont think NBA teams would look at AJ as a centre with his lack of physicality. I agree LC that he didnt get the ball very much in the games I saw. If that is coaching then he might be right to leave given it prob wont improve next year.

I suspect he will be in the NBA D league next year though if he does declare, and will quite possibly be playing for the Kings the year after, as he also lacks the physicality (or alternatively a money perimeter shot) to land a really good Euro contract just yet.

If he can improve that side of his game though, he has great potential.

Reply #273596 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Once again I agree with you Paul.

For mine, his weaknesses are his lack of physicality (or apparent unwillingness to be physical) and hence his lower than expected rebounding numbers for a guy his size. Also, his inability to defend outside the key holds him back.

His major upside though is his great post play and myriad of moves, he has great touch for a big man, and has an uncanny knack of drawing contact and getting to the free throw line. He can also has a decent range for a big man but with the Vandy set up and personnel he never got a chace to show that this past season.

A predition of a D-League roster spot for next season is more likely than an NBA roster spot at this point in time. I'm not sure he will be back in Oz quickly though, as his type of game would flourish in Europe IMO and hence the cash thrown at him may be too much to ignore.

Time will always tell I guess.

Reply #273601 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Also don't forget the potential NBA lockout next year as well for one of the reasons contributing to decision to declare.

AJ's problem is his health, he's been battling foot issues for the last 2 years and really hasnt been able to play at 100% for a long long time, and its abit hard to play physical when stepping on your foot feels like stepping on broken glass alot of the time.

Reply #273611 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

'Also don't forget the potential NBA lockout next year', please explain.

I think he'll be as good in the NBL as that point guard who played 1 year for 36ers & then fled. 4got his name.

Reply #273616 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Is he possibly doing the 'testing the waters' thing before pulling out of the draft and coming back for his senior season?

Reply #273617 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

This is not a testing the waters thing as he has hired an agent. He will not be going back to college.

Reply #273618 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

The potential NBA lockout.. as in no NBA season after next years when the players go on strike.

Which means there is no draft next year and theres no contracts for seniors out of college, its one of the reasons so many kids will be declaring this year, alot more have declared right now compared to last year.. of course some of that is to do with the reduced time to remove your name from the draft, but the lockout is looming over everyones head right now and some kids will jump the gun and go now just in case.

Evan Turner/Cole Aldritch decisions have been partly due to the lockout hitting in there senior years I believe.

Reply #273630 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

sircreate, there still would be a draft in any potential lockout.

Reply #273636 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Good luck to the big fella. Its going to be tough for him to realise his dream of playing in the NBA from here, but I don't think he had a lot of choice. He was clearly not growing as a player at Vandy and I doubt a transfer would have been worth it.

I still think he can become a very good player, but he desperately needs the right coach/ trainers to get his body and game to the next level.

It will be too late for the draft, but perhaps his best shot is to work his butt off to get into the Boomers rotation and get noticed at the World Championships. Maybe could be enough to convince an NBA team to sign him as a project?

Reply #273639 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

he might be failing school? if so he will be ineligible for DI basketball.

this was the case for Patty Mills. that was the primary reason why he entered draft last year.

Reply #273703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No LA boy it wasn't why patty elected to enter the draft. Also no chance ogilvy is failing school. Why say things you have no idea about?

Reply #273707 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Here is video of AJ's press conference announcing his intentions:

"Based on what his agent said, he feels that he could move up the board during pre-draft workouts, which helped him make his final decision. He's been told he needs to improve on his explosiveness and conditioning. If he doesn't get drafted, he plans to play in Europe, but wants to pursue his dream to play in the NBA."

Reply #273711 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

LA Boy is sortof right about Patty

It wasnt that he was falling school so much, its the fact he stopped going to classes after he declared, he went to work out after work out, went to Europe for a tourney, and pretty much ruled himself out of being eligble for the next season unless he worked his butt off to catch up over the summer.

As for AJ I doubt grades are an issue with him, you have to be a pretty smart guy to get into Vanderbilt and maintain your grades over 3 years, the fans there are pretty down on him and he's caught alot of flack from them so personally I wouldnt want to go back either.

Reply #273713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pat stopped going to class after he declared. That's not really a problem. To say he was failing which is why he declared is completely false though.

Reply #273735 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:09 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754