Croquet anyone
Years ago

New NBL play off format

I know it is traditional to have a best of 3 series in basketball but I would like to see the NBL show some initiative and have all 10 teams in a play off format and use the NCAA format where every game is a knockout situation. How exciting is it when a Cinderella side come out of nowhere to make the final four. If everyone knew where the goal posts stood and the NBL said this format for the finals would be used for say the next 10 years then it may just work and bring some life back to the NBL.

This is just an idea that seems to work in the college system so why not try it hear.

Topic #2273 | Report this topic

coach k  
Years ago

I don't think single eliminaton games will work for a professional league. It work's for the NCAA cause there are so many teams - 65 in the tournament.

Reply #25638 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

what would the point of the season be?

Reply #25646 | Report this post

cameron  
Years ago

maybe stick to croquet.....and get an idea. ridiculous suggestion...by the way in case you had not realised how little idea you have....as long as hunter are still in the league..there are actually 11 teams.

Reply #25650 | Report this post

Croquet anyone  
Years ago

Good to see you have the ability to think laterally Cameron

The NBL needs something to help lift it's image and to grab the consumers imagination and if something as simple as a different playoff format could increase exposure to the league, then that would be good thing for clubs.

Instead of telling people "to get an idea" why don't you try and think of a better alternative after all this is a basketball forum and it doesn't imply anywhere that people are not allowed to think creatively for the betterment of the game.

I only ever said it was an idea not the perfect plan that will take the NBL to the promise land

Reply #25654 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

its a really bad idea that makes no sense.

why have a season at all, when everyone is in a knockout tournament at the end anyway?

this year's format was OK, just get rid of the 3 and 4 teams playing in a knockout QF. Make it a 3 game series.

Reply #25661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"croquet anyone" you are ridiuclous

Reply #25663 | Report this post

Hill  
Years ago

worst idea i have ever heard

Reply #25664 | Report this post

mathias jade  
Years ago

Its not a bad idea with the lower teams but the point of finals is to see the best team not whos best on the day. If a grandfinal was between 7th and 8th because they had the luck thatd be a pretty bad grand final

Reply #25677 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Croquet anyone, that's the same as suggesting that everyone should rely on winning the lottery for their livelihood as luck alone is going to help you instead of working hard to earn it. If teams have worked hard all season, they don't want to throw it all away on a single elimination game. Winning the grand final should be a privilege for a team who has worked hard and made good progress throughout the season.

Reply #25685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats a cinderella team?

Reply #25689 | Report this post

Keefy  
Years ago

And anyway, why have a top 8 when there are only 11 teams in the league

Reply #25706 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Croquet, I have seen some ridiculous things posted on here (god knows Ive posted more than my fair share)..but that takes the cake.

Let's paint a picture......

Hunter beats Brisbane
Hunter then beats Townsville
Hunter then beats Wollongong
Hunter beats Sydney in the 1 game elimination Grand Final, so the team who only just managed to scrape into the finals needs just 4 games to take the championship??

If you play, or have ever played, how would you, as a player, fell if you have slogged all season, watched your team be successful and stay towards the top of the ladder all season, to get knocked out in a 1 game grand final?

Smacks of a social league rather than a professional league.

I still go with my previous suggestion that with a current 11 team situation, it should be top 6, with elimination finals being 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5
1 and 2 still get automatic entry to semis.

Reply #25709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Other than revenue raising why does BBall have to have best of 3, 5, 7 or whatever you want in the finals?

If the 'a team can get lucky' arguments are correct then shouldnt the Superbowl be a best of 3 - or the AFL Grandfinal? What about the 100m sprint at the next olympics?

Reply #25715 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Might be crowd preference? I prefer a three-game series for anything but a low-placed elimination final.

Reply #25720 | Report this post

Croquet anyone  
Years ago

Well thank you for allowing me fifteen minuets of your time. I will leave now.

BTW, a good team will always beat a crap team no matter what the system and upset will always happen as well. Finals upsets is such a cliché because they happen

Reply #25722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Croquet - I will again challenge that statement.

Think back to the Semi Final that Adelaide lost to Wollongong because of "that foul" and those "free throws".

Wollongong was not the better team. They purely were the lucky team (I'm not going to debate the call or anything - thats been done to death).

Adelaide's last championship - I dont think they were the best team in the play offs, but the cards fell their way at the time.

Luck plays a part of it all, and therefore the 3 / 5 game series dilutes a bit of that luck.

Reply #25729 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

Gee, "Croquet anyone" got battered from pillar to post on this one. I will put my suggestion up so you can do the same to me :-)

I like the eight team finals, but would prefer to have all three game finals with 1v8, 2v7, 3v6 and 4v5. ie same as NBA conference from last year (this year is a bit different I believe). Winner of 1v8 plays winner of 4v5 etc.

I can't see it happening, but I still like the idea.

Reply #25753 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I like that idea too, but it still has to be played in a series format. 3 games for quarters and semis, and 5 for GF.

The season determines who has home court advantage throughout. Simple, but it makes sense. Also, every team then gets a home final giving ALL fans exposure to finals ball and clubs the extra money the ALL need.

Reply #25754 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Just got here to read this... HA!..I think "croquet" should change his/her name ... start again. Think before you post.

Why would you bother fielding a good side all year round for nothing if you could just turn up in finals ?

For anonymous: a cinderella team is a 'lucky' one, to my understanding .

Reply #25757 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

A cindarella team is what the guys from Queer Eye called their social league team.

Apparently they get called for lots of hair-pulling and slapping fouls

Reply #25779 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

and they like to go back door!

Reply #25780 | Report this post

Rex Hunt  
Years ago

... and take it hard to the hole

and how about their defence:
- good on the split line
- nobody ever flops

Reply #25784 | Report this post

theadvertiser  
Years ago

...lots of shooting ?? hanging on the rim ?

Reply #25785 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:34 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754