Years ago

Q&A with Marty Clarke on NBL site

there is a Q&A with Marty Clarke

Link below

http://linky.com.au/j80cg

Topic #22772 | Report this topic

Player23  
Years ago

Good article. Interesting to note that they may have missed out on an Aussie point guard. I wonder how they are going with their negotiations with Aaron Bruce???

Reply #274206 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I was trying to think who they were after the used the term "experience Australian Point Guard"

Reply #274207 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Maybe someone playing O.S.

Reply #274208 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

kendall, crosswell, davidson, markovic...

Reply #274209 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

It was good to see that he's been calm and collective with the answers. Good to see that his choices so far were decisive ones for future plans.

It will be interesting to see him develop Brad Hill. I'm constantly see-sawing with my opinions of him, so hopefully this season will decide which side to land on.

I agree that Bruce needs to be looked at (if not already) as he fits the bill of a true Point guard. I'm certainly still open for Gilly to play again; I think the "Clarke exposure" would be a boon.

Opinions on retaining Gilly?

Reply #274210 | Report this post

sen  
Years ago

Gilly's knee is a 12 month injury, only had the final operation 2 weeks ago, he will not be an option.

Reply #274212 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"A true point guard" is one that has lots of turnovers, bad defensive player and goes missing when the game is on the line? I didn't know the definition turned to that! :P

An import point guard would be a better option! Also I would have Brad Davidson as a backup point guard if thats possible.

Reply #274213 | Report this post

What if?  
Years ago

...Mills,Dellavedova...

Reply #274216 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Not to mention one who shoots 35.6% from the field, based on his 2008/09 NBL stats.

Reply #274217 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Just to be clear, I am of course referring to Aaron Bruce.

Reply #274219 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Interesting that Clarke was looking for an experienced Aussie point guard. Doesn't look like Gibson or Martin were allowed to become free agents, so can't have been them.

Perhaps he was looking at Kendall, or Luke Martin? He had a decent year with the Gong didn't he? Perhaps Damien Ryan if he is looking to come home? Although I always saw him as more of a SG.

Did Cairns or anyone end up signing Troy Jackson yet? I still like him as an option provided the coach can get him to stick to his role - ie, kick ass on defence, run the offence solidly and don't shoot long bombs unless you're wide open or you have to!

Do people here think Farley could get away with playing SF instead of SG? If he could do that consistently, it might be worth bringing him in as a cheap second import. I'd probably be looking for younger guys first though and come back to him if those options don't work out.

I'm guessing this other player from last year we are close to signing is Holmes? That would be okay, I guess, except we are left with the perennial problem of having an undersized PF who can't guard the Worthington's of the world. Kevin Ratzsch could possibly be a good alternative, since he is listed as 6'7 and seems a touch more mobile than Holmes. I could see Ratzsch playing at both the PF and SF slots, depending on matchups.

If Perth haven't signed Lisch yet, does anyone else think he might make a good PG? Seemed to handle the ball better than most at HSH, including Damian Martin. Also seemed to play under control and with confidence all the time. Only thing I didn't see was whether he is a good enough passer, since he was too busy scoring with ease most of the time in HSH!

This looks good to me:

Johnson Trueman
Balls Ratzsch
Farley Hill
Ng Herbie
Ryan/ Kendall Davidson

or perhaps...

Johnson Trueman
Balls Holmes
Farley Hill
Ng Herbie
Jackson/ Lisch Davidson

Reply #274220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

looool, you guys arent getting lisch.... its either perth or europe

Reply #274222 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

The other from last year's team who's situation they are hoping to resolve quickly, would have to be Cooper, Holmes or Garlepp.
Probably Holmes I'd say. Cooper surely won't be returning (hoping) and sounds like Garlepp is going elsewhere.

Reply #274223 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

From looking at transaction tracker on NBL website. Adam Gibson might have been the player they were after as he is in the undetermined category for the Blaze.

http://linky.com.au/fj15e

Reply #274225 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Please not Kendall ... even in a 6ers uniform I think I would struggle to like the guy

Reply #274227 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks Big Sexy, was still going off the earlier free agents list. Your link is much more useful.

If they were chasing Gibson then kudos to the Sixers for thinking big! Doubt GC will let him go though.

Anon, you're probably right. I'm guessing Lisch has an offer from the Wildcats but is checking out his options before signing. I'm expecting him to end up a Wildcat... but would love it if the Sixers stole him!

Reply #274228 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I thought it was weird as Harvey, Petrie and Gibson were all not on the Free Agents list but are on the undetermined list in the Transaction Tracker.

Reply #274231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the whole transaction tracker is a big fail...

Reply #274232 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

The article about Hoare signing with Gold Coast says that they now have Gibson, Goulding, Harvey, Petrie and Hoare signed.

Reply #274234 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

They have now updated the list and the 3 players I just mentioned are now on. It is a pretty good 5 the blaze have currently signed with 2 imports to come.

Reply #274236 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Sure is, they really just need a quality big and then other import is gravy.

Reply #274240 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Apparently keen on Helliwell to be big man off the bench.

Reply #274243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Helliwell while pretty much a dud is certainly an upgrade on Cooper.

Reply #274244 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"Marty Clarke: We will be inviting SA juniors in to practice through the year with the idea that in the future some of these players will represent the Sixers. Corey Maynard won the Bob Staunton Medal at this year's Under 20 Nationals and his team finished second, so hopefully some of those guys are able to make the transition from good junior players to NBL level. "

Best thing Ive heard for SA Bball in years

Reply #274251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skud, that is nothing new. Those guys all were training last year.

Reply #274263 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

Players I have heard they have or are speaking to: Lisch (is shopping himself), Bruce (Marty keen to get him on board/feeling recipricated), Rashard Tucker, Corey "Homicide" Williams, Luke Schenscher (as to are Sydney)... At least the Sixers are being active this year, we can't complain about that. I have also heard it is very much a possibility that Holmes has outpriced himself this year and could end up going elsewhere...
My team without looking at points...

PG: Import(Homicide)10/Bruce 5?
SG: Ng 7/Herbert 6
SF: Import 10?/ Hill 5
PF: Ballinger 10/Tucker 7?
C: DJ 6/ Allen ?

I know everyone is going to say Tucker is not a 4 man, but if we pick up an import at the 3 spot who can switch between 3 and 4 like a Bennett Davison then it won't really matter.

Reply #274266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holmes has a price? No one will be knocking his door down, let him walk. Bruce is crap. Schenscher would be good for the right price and I'm of the opinion Tucker would be a nice little pick up. His partner is from Adelaide too and knowing it could possibly be his last NBL gig I doubt he would screw up again.

Reply #274274 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Aussieboomer4eva, typical response from a stat watcher.

Bruce still did his job for the team and he managed to step up when needed. And considering he was in his Rookie season AND there IS an actual difference between College Ball and the NBL; he did alright.

His turnover count is "the norm" for most point guards (no different from when he was in College) and he had enough double-double games to satisfy (considering that's rare enough for a PG in the NBL.

Besides, it's only "wishing" at the moment. It's only "if" he's interested in playing.

Reply #274286 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Big Marty, I was trying to make that point during his season, his assist to turnover ratio was similar to most of the leading point guards in the NBL.

Reply #274287 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Bruce didnt understand the international style game. If Clarke could teach him how to run the show without dominating the ball he has potential. Of course, he needs to improve that ugly shot.

Reply #274293 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

He didn't like the coach he had whilst here so didn't enjoy his ball. You could tell from his first game at the Dome the kid could play. It was his rookie year, so what do you expect?
I have heard he loves Marty as a coach, is excited about potentially playing basketball again and very interested in playing for the Sixers.
I for one hope he comes back as even if we do get a import PG he would still be very valuable as a back up.

Reply #274314 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

I believe signing Bruce should be a 36ers priority at the moment, and if he does sign they would not need a PG import.

Reply #274316 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:15 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754