Lexus
Years ago

Top 12 ref prospects to challenge Nbl/Wnbl panel

On a good news story, BSA have over the past twelve months worked hard to improve the umpiring in the ABA and have 12 young umpires who could work there way in to a spot on the Wnbl/Nbl panel in the future.

Nathan has done a great job working with these young guns and this is the future

Here is my top 12 in order - because I live in the country, I have not had the chance to see them all recently so would be interested in others opinion

let's keep this positive because we have come along way

1.Nikki Ireland
2 Nic Davel
3 Brett Johns
4 Mark Frost
5 Brett Foster
6 Ian Domeika
7 Vanessa Devlin
8 Daniel Troy
9 Jarrod Cresp
10 Vargha Zare
11 Luke Smith
12 Sheree Miles

Topic #22828 | Report this topic

Outsider  
Years ago

I agree Lexus that the future of refereeing is looking brighter, and a lot of that is due to the amount of work that nathan has done in his new role.

The order you have put them is a bit odd though, because you put some more senior referee's such as daniel troy, jarrod cresp and Vargha Zare over some of the first/second season referee's such as brett johns and Brett Foster.

Also i think you will find that Vanessa Devlin is at the top of that list although has not refereed for a long time due to an injury.

The job that nathan has done is great although we also have to recognize the jobs done by the national panel referees such as Phil Haines, Andrew Filmer, Benn McDonald and Nathan Durant, aswell as Nathan Wieland obviously. These referee's are the senior referees and have helped develop the junior referee's through their first games of ABA.

Ok, now for mock order, I know some may disagree but i am basing this on my opinions on the referee's and also on the experience that they hold, as well their future potential.

1. Vanessa Devlin (Women's Grandfinal 2009)
2. Daniel Troy
3. Vargha Zare
4. Jarrod Cresp
5. Nikki Ireland
6. Mark Frost
7. Nick Davel
8. Luke Smith
9. Brett Foster
10. Ian Domeika
11. Brett Johns
12. Sheree Miles

I admit i have not seen the last four doing ABA games although have seen them a few times for friday night juniors.

The future of refereeing is not as bad as people make it out to be, and with all the negative bashing of referee's it is a blessing that there is still some out there.

Reply #275119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nikki to 12 and just about right

Reply #275121 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Thats 12 referees that are at a decent level

butt there are more then 6 games of basketball in this state per week

Who are the other referees who are on the way up that are making the future of umpiring in this state so bright?

Reply #275129 | Report this post

Lexus  
Years ago

I believe Nikki,Nick & Brett all have the potential to get to the top level. Certainly not saynig the other guys are not good just working my top twelve based on those with the best chance of making it to the top.

IMO, of course

Reply #275139 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

IMO i think Ali from Pasadena rec centre is one of the best refs going round, especially if he thinks you are the "GOLDEN BOY"

My vote is to upgrade Ali from Wed nite D Grade games to the ABA asap.

keep going*

*insert indian accent here

Reply #275161 | Report this post

A Grandfinal does not make a Ref a great one.

(As a Grommy, Came 3rd in the B's footy medal, polling 4 B.O.G's)... the guy who won it polled in every game. Consistency is the name of the game!

Daniel Troy
Jarrod Cresp
Mark Frost
Nick Davel
Brett Johns
Nikki Ireland
Vargha Zare
Vanessa Devlin (partly due to injury)
Luke Smith
Brett Foster
Ian Domeika
Sheree Miles

Not only do you need to ref the game well, but you also need to "sell" yourself in terms of interest in the game. IE - Doing a fill-in for U10 D3 means you still need to be engaged, watch the game and make the baseline.

Overall, the standard is improving and well done to those involved. Onwards and upwards.

I think we all should remember that without people refereeing, we wouldn't have a game, but the game is more important than any one person.

Reply #275166 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Is there a fantasy ref competition somewhere that I can join?

Reply #275184 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Bad jokes aside though, glad to hear that there are some good up-and-coming refs.

Reply #275185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More up and coming refs in the ranks means they all need to work harder to progress and or maintain there spots, thus meaning hopefully a higher standard in general.

Reply #275191 | Report this post

concerned  
Years ago

where is john lawrence :P

Reply #275230 | Report this post

:S  
Years ago

lol

Reply #275291 | Report this post

Lenovo  
Years ago

My thoughts:

1. Vanessa Devlin
2. Daniel Troy
3. Vargha Zare (when his head isn't up his arse and thinks that people are there to watch him)
4. Jarrod Cresp
5. Nikki Ireland (when she isn’t making out with Mark)
6. Mark Frost (when he isn’t making out with Nikki)
7. Nick Davel (no where ready for ABL)
8. Luke Smith (GO THE POWER)
9. Brett Foster (nowhere ready for ABL)
10. Ian Domeika (nowhere ready for ABL)
11. Brett Johns (Heaven help us) always remember reading an article that they interviewed him where he said he never had problems with players cause he just techs them straight away.
12. Sheree Miles (HELL NO!!!!!)

Also forgot Daniel White same as Vargha though (head way to up his own arse)

The only reason that some of these guys are doing ABL is because they are really short on experienced, quality referees at that level.

I do agree with E though. WE WANT ALI :)

Reply #275295 | Report this post

Outsider  
Years ago

Lenovo,

Instead of saying no where near ready for aba, why dont you highlight your reasons as to why so that other people can get an understanding of what you are talking about.

saying there not ready is all well and good but atleast include why you think this.

Reply #275302 | Report this post

6ers Fan  
Years ago

Simple really, not enough experience, not enough skills to handle games at this level, pushed through far too quickly due to a lack of more experienced referees and numbers being low. Whilst there have been certain measures taken to teach younger referees the skills they need this will take time and its time the game at ABL level doesnt have. Therefore there have been referees put onto games way before they should be. Fact.

Reply #275312 | Report this post

:)  
Years ago

why can't we all just get along :(

Reply #275329 | Report this post

Lenovo's thoughts are his thoughts... I don;t necessarily agree, but...

Reply #275332 | Report this post

Gravity Man  
Years ago

Just ask the referees coordinator on wed night to mention a few words to District Referees coordinator,this Golden boy is a LEVEL 2 Referee as i speak so introduce him to ABL and District Games...

Reply #275414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nic Davel Should be the number 1 prospect

Reply #275421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hell no. He's not good enough for abl or district games!!!!!

Reply #275430 | Report this post

Gravity Man  
Years ago

give the indian a chance he be good for the league,i will speak to the coordinator this wednesday

Reply #275431 | Report this post

Lo 47  
Years ago

No he's a social ref.

Reply #275435 | Report this post

:)  
Years ago

he's good

Reply #275657 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:46 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754