Isaac
Years ago

The NBL's young Australian player rule

Heard word of this the other day but I think Boti is the first to make it public:

WHAT the . . .? Basketball Australia boss Larry Sengstock said the NBL would revisit its controversial compulsory under-23 player rule and he was true to his word.

Making it an under-24 rule works well so what the smell is NBL ops manager Chuck Harmison doing altering it to 24-and-under?

In effect, Brad Hill last season could not qualify but next season he could? Is the Chuckster feeling heat from Perth and Townsville so there's a slight adjustment to the slight adjustment?

The Wildcats have signed seven players and my (e)mail is they thought Stephen Weigh would qualify under the rule, clearing that roster stipulation. He doesn't.

Neither does Ben Allen, who has joined Townsville. And wham bam, thank you ma'am, the rule has a sudden amendment which now qualifies them as 24-and-under.
Here's the full article including mention of various other NBL things.

Topic #22832 | Report this topic

quasi  
Years ago

If this has only just been announced, it's a bit late in the day isn't it, with many clubs already well into their signings for the coming season? Goes to show which clubs are able to throw their weight around with the NBL board.

Reply #275178 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

24 and under is better than u23.
Now sixers have got three 24 and under but wished they'd told us sooner

Reply #275181 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Boti needs to be part of the solution & not part of the problem! Larry & Chuck are doing great work so get the chip off your shoulder buddy...

Reply #275187 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

orbit, adjusting rules on the fly after teams have made recruiting decisions based on the previous rule change is not a great 'solution' at all. IMO, Boti and wronged clubs are right to draw attention to something like this. The old NBL used to let clubs get away with junk, flaunt the cap, etc. The new NBL needs to pick their rules and stick to them to build a strong, genuine brand.

Reply #275193 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

like it this way. never really liked U23

Reply #275196 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just heard that the rule is standing as a date of 1-APR-1987 and that Weigh and Allen won't satisfy the YAP requirements. Not entirely sure, but I suspect that the NBL had said "under 24", then possibly clarified it as "24 and under", a couple of clubs thought that their signings satisfied that, but the date tabled by the clubs is the concrete point going forward.

Reply #275199 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

If it's 1/4/87 - then Weigh misses out by about a month. Dowdell by about a week. Can't see Allen.
Johnson who at 3/4/88 ok for this year but might miss next year by 2days.

Reply #275205 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Was 31/12/86 last season. Now 1.4.87 this season
So they've given us another 90days only.

Reply #275213 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Actually, Camel, your maths is a bit off. If they were to keep the rule exactly as last year, i.e. an under 23, then the date would have moved forward to 31/12/87. The NBL has moved that back to 1/4/87, therefore giving us 9 months extra. We aren't getting an extra 90 days, we are actually only losing 90 days.

Reply #275220 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Isaac, if its a valid point then the boys will look at it. Constantly sooking gets no one anywhere. They are taking baby steps to build something solid for the future. The'brand' is what drives them.

Reply #275225 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ooops - now I get it, Gazza and thanks.
I was also having trouble reading points cap rules,
which Isaac said are pretty clear.
I hope my brain is working a little better than this tomorrow

Reply #275233 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Orbit, it's no different to Rudd handing out the stimulation package to half your family and then you missing out....I bet you would be kicking up a stink if that occurred to you?

The point isnt whether it is better or not, you can't just change it willy nilly as it isnt a fair playing field for all clubs.

What if the Sixers really wanted to sign Allen as their YAP and he wanted to come but as he was too old they didnt have a place for him, then the rules get changed and another club picks him up as their YAP...hardly fair if you asked me!

Reply #275235 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Maybe Boti (like me) and some clubs were a little confused over the change in title to 24 and under and the rule wasn't changed at all.

Reply #275239 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

But it is not '24 and under'. It only applies to people who were under 23 three weeks ago, which will be about 23 and a half by the time the season gets started.

That sounds like an 'under 23 and a half' rule to me.

Reply #275259 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

This should have been defined precisely before free agency started. Clarifying it after free agency starts is just asking for trouble.

If it is a birthdate of 1 April 1987 or younger for this year, sounds like Boti is wrong. As XY says, that means the oldest you can be by the time the season starts is about 23 yrs 6 mths.

Making it 1 April every year sounds about right to me though, because by then the college season is basically finished (unless you make the final four maybe) and it is clear to NBL clubs whether a player is eligible before free agency starts.

If my calculations are right, this basically means that an Aussie who starts at a US college no later than about age 19 and a half should still be able to qualify as a youth player in the NBL after a four year college career?

Making it 1987 for this year's FA should be okay as long as most Aussies who head to college in the US start by about 19 and a half. If that were the case, then you'd generally only be excluding the guys who red-shirted for a season.

BTW Allen's DOB is 30 Dec 87, so he will qualify this year.

Reply #275296 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

orbit, that sulking gives them feedback and helps steer the process.

Reply #275328 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

Its on the fly manaement

Reply #275546 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:08 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754