Isaac
Years ago

Bevo wants U24 rule dumped

Championship-winning Perth Wildcats coach Rob Beveridge has urged the NBL to scrap the development player rule, claiming it has no place in an elite competition.

Each club must have at least one Australian or New Zealand player under the age of 24 on their list, with the age limit lifted from 23 last season.

But Beveridge, who guided the Cats to their fifth NBL title last season, claimed the rule was unnecessary.

"I totally disagree with the rule," Beveridge said on Wednesday.

"This is an elite competition, it's not a development league.

"I understand why they brought the rule in, however, I don't like the rule.
Full articleMakes a good point about them having a young team but the clubs did vote in this rule.

Topic #22923 | Report this topic

The Banker  
Years ago

Good Call from Bevo, if they want a development league then they should start one, 1 team per state and have 10 of the best 18-24 years who are not on NBL rosters much better then forcing a guy to sit on the bench of an NBL team because he isnt quite upto the standard of NBL.

Reply #276582 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

With the NBL still looking at the D-League options, this rule may eventually be scrapped if it gets up in any case..time will tell.

Reply #276589 | Report this post

flinders80  
Years ago

How would any state be able to afford a d league. It costs a lot of money to fly around teams and put them up for the night. I think the league would be great. Would love to see the likes that played in the U20 Nationals GF in a d league. It would also give some up and coming coaches a chance to prove their worth before gaining assistant gigs or head coaching gigs.

There could be a way if the NBL put in the contracts of every NBL player that 2-5% of all player payments must be directed to NBL D league.

Players get $150K and gives $7.5K back to d league

Reply #276599 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I doubt players would appreciate a further tax on their salaries. This would also make it harder to get imports.

I think a second-tier competition should be marketable and viable. But the finances would need to be worked out.

I would structure a second-tier league like this:

1. Under 26 league only.
2. 6 teams: SA, WA, VIC, NSW, QLD and AIS.
3. ABL-sized salary cap.
4. 15 week season at same time as NBL, each team playing once a week (each team plays each other three times).
5. Play all games on weekends to allow players to hold down week day jobs.
6. Preferably play all games as curtain-raisers to NBL games.
7. Put in place rules to encourage transfers/call ups to the NBL in season for injury waivers etc.

I would go watch those games with interest. The only question is how to pay for it all?

Reply #276618 | Report this post

flinders80  
Years ago

No player payments, then you could add a AIS team in the league

Reply #276641 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The AIS already play in a league where there are match payments, some teams spending well into 6 figures.

Reply #276645 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Of course Bevo wants it scrapped, coz Perth stuffed up, and don't have the U24 covered. Last year, we missed out on a decent U23, and we wanted it scrapped, did anyone shed a tear for us?

Reply #276659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it might save a team having a zac delaney on their bench.

Reply #276677 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I thoroughly agree with Beveridge. NBL level is not the level you should be developing a youngster. I don't know if the Academy team still exists in Adelaide as I haven't heard much about it lately, but that was a good place to develop the youngsters to the next level. It doesn't have to cost a lot of money for them to travel interstate to compete. How about 3 or 4 games a year against the same state's NBL team? That way it gives them an idea of what they have to strive for. Also how about just having 3 or 4 or your state's best development players just being part of the NBL team's training squad without actually holding a spot on the team? How about they do this whilst also studying in Uni to become Physical Education teachers so at the same time they also have a long term career option?

Reply #276681 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

My understanding is that the Academy team still does exist

I have a feeling it is slightly different to what it was when it was started but same idea is behind it

I think

Reply #276684 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

Bevo's owner has money to spend

Reply #276719 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Academy still exists. They played a couple of pre-games last season.

Reply #276725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why not have a d-league before the main games??

6 teams - 10 players per team, made up of 6 under 24 players and 4 veteran players, no imports

play all the games before sydney, melb and adelaide fixtures to keep costs down

would be a good platform for up and coming talent as well as exp vets trying to get back into the main game for the next season.

then you could hold a draft type selection for the next season with the lowest team getting first dibs on the top young players

Reply #276792 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:22 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754