Rev Grady Jackson
Years ago

One Club Players

Let me start by saying that as a man of the cloth, I am looking for some conversation on a topic that is talked about in sports circles the world over.

The first part being:

1. How many current ABL players are with the club that they first played junior basketball with ?

AND

2.When looking at the team rosters for the 2010 ABL season, what is the breakdown of players according to the club they first played junior's for.Eg. player X currently at club A began playing with club B.

Peace be with y'all

The Rev.

Topic #23009 | Report this topic

Clem Scott  
Years ago

This will be a hard thread to answer Rev. as it will show peoples hand as to which club they may be associated with. A very interesting topic though and I also would like to know the answer to your question.
I do know Jim Marcos started with West.

Reply #277894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of the good players tend to be one club players

Reply #277899 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

OK, let's spin this one around. If 85% of players play for one club, which player has played for the most number of clubs?

I can think of a former player who played for at least West, North and Centrals.

Reply #277902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 899, I dont think your statement

"Most of the good players tend to be one club players"

is correct, you will find most of the best current players have played for more than 1 club, it is the direction of the sport, go where you are needed or can be developed. and in some cases where you get paid.

examples from the womens league:
Erin Phillips
Sam Woosnam
Rebecca Duke
Jess Mahoney
Kerrin Webber
Amanda Williams
Tracey Beatty
Brooke Sidebottom

Reply #277920 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

From the men's side, players who have more than one club at the top of my head are:

Daniel Cioffi
Ryan Kersten
Brad Gerlach
Brad Sullivan
Jordan Dodman
Pero Vasiljvic
Luke Mapunda
Gary Birmingham
Zane Reeves
Daniel Wilson
Mark Fuller
Darren Ng
Jacob Holmes
Neil Motteram

I'm sure there are plenty more..........

Reply #277922 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Reverend, it's nice to hear you're still around the traps. We should get you, myself and Jamaal back together and have a Pisces reunion. Good times.

Reply #277971 | Report this post

Rev Grady Jackson  
Years ago

Moses it's good we dare to dream ! I guess I was trying to look for answers to a question that was raised by some of my loyal followers.
To Clem Scott I dont think it shows your hand when anwsering as I kind of know players go where the money or promises are, but if a parent of a junior is look for pathways from junior to senior level competition, are clubs providing this as a way of getting juniors to stay loyal??? and not throw away many hours of player development. You cant stop this from happening but are we giving all our junior players the right message ??
I do believe it is a dog eat dog world but does it hurt to provide a little ray a sunshine ??

Peace be with y'all

The Rev.

Reply #277984 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

You forgot Brett Maher from that list.

Reply #277995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shay Bayly.

Oh, er, no... sorry, my mistake.

Reply #278017 | Report this post

Team Player  
Years ago

Maher started at South not Sturt

Reply #278024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did Daniel Wilson get in that list lol.

Reply #278081 | Report this post

nix 83  
Years ago

To the above poster, the list is of players who have played at more than one club. Dan Wilson gets on the list because he's tried most clubs :)

On a similar note, what about coaches who have been around a bit? I can think of a few, especially in junior ranks.

Reply #278109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniel Wilson plays?

Reply #278120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dougie playing his 200th ABL game for the eagles tonight! Not sure how many he has played all up, u would think he would have played close to 100 summer div 1 games so is prob around 300. With at least 150-200 reserve summer and winter games under his belt. Which puts him around 500 senior games!!!

Great acheivement Dougie. Good luck tonight!!!

Reply #278447 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Does his still deliver pizzas?

Reply #278448 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:29 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754