LC
Years ago

3-on-3 Basketball...an Olympic sport?

According to the sport's governing body FIBA, "a slimmed down three-a-side version of basketball could be on the Olympic program as early as the 2020 Summer Games."

"Three-on-three, which is played over three periods on half a court with one hoop, will make its debut at the Youth Olympic Games in Singapore in August."

"It's not an alternative but it's an add-on and we will have it at the Olympics in 2020/2024," the International Basketball Federation's (FIBA) Patrick Baumann said.

FIBA Link: http://linky.com.au/1uagl

Whilst I'm all for promoting basketball, and three-on-three basketball is essentially the same game with one hoop and less players (unlike Slamball whcih for me is totally different), I can't see how this should be an Olympic sport myself.

Maybe look to include it in the Summer X Games or something like that - you know, promoting street ball etc, but come on, not at the Olympics surely?

Topic #23011 | Report this topic

dingo  
Years ago

as long as it doesnt replace normal ball in olympics im all for it.

Reply #277900 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

They should get on the Slam ball wagon because that is exciting and people want to play it

Reply #277907 | Report this post

helium  
Years ago

lol at slamball, people want it yet its pretty well dead from what I understand. Last comp was in 2008 and no real plans for the next comp that I have seen

Reply #277913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it was boring, after you get over the dunks there is no depth to the game. I'm not really for a 3 on 3 either, stick to complete sports, no 20/20 or the like.

Reply #277923 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

who's gonna be be players? AND1 kids?

Reply #277924 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:29 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754