hereschenes
Years ago

Mike Brown Fired

ESPN:

CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Cavaliers have fired Mike Brown, a source close to the head coach told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

The Cavaliers had a midnight deadline on Sunday to fire the coach or pay him his full $4.5 million salary for next season.

Cleveland was ousted from the playoffs two weeks ago by the Boston Celtics, who upset the NBA's top regular-season team in six games.

Brown, who had one year left on his contract, could be quickly scooped up by one of the five other teams looking for head coaches. Brown has guided the team to the postseason in each of his five seasons. Cleveland's assistants also have one year remaining on their deals.

Brown was the league's coach of the year last season when the Cavs won 66 games. Cleveland lost to Orlando in the conference finals, however, and it was assumed Brown would have to get the team closer to a championship to keep his job.

Topic #23033 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

This must be the third straight year where the Coach of the Year from the previous season has been fired in the next season.
Avery Johnson and the Mavs springs to mind as does Byron Scott and the Hornets.

Reply #278098 | Report this post

Referee  
Years ago

as a cavs fan, im happy bout this, Lbebron was basically coaching the team anyway, even drawing up plays during time-outs.
Hopefully get some one who can teach the TEAM an offense, maybe someone like Avery Johnson if he is still looking to coach

Reply #278119 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Last-ditch attempt to keep LeBron in Cleveland?

Reply #278122 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I think if the team management don;t take drastic action to improve the team this off-season, and quickly, LeBron will bolt. They have to do everything in their power, and be seen to leave no stone unturned, to retain the big fella...

Reply #278124 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

This is a good move. Lebron was certainly coaching the team and drawing plays.

This could keep Lebron with the Cavs. However the Management must do everything they can to keep the man or he will leave. Lebron really needs some core players and others who can contribute.

Avery Johnson is looking to coach, but may score the Hawks job. I think he received a 2nd interview with them. But he'll make a good coach in any team. Great basketball mind and brain.

Reply #278127 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Mike's downfall is a far-too plain name. Change the moniker to something along the lines of the following and watch the job offers roll in:

Mikey Brown
LeMike Brown
DeMichael Brown
MJ Brown
Mike Brown Jr
Mike Brown the III
Mike Brown-Curtingly
M Brown (eg P Diddy)

Reply #278130 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Had to be done really. Brown has had a fair crack and he hasn't been able to get his players to perform under pressure in the playoffs. The Cleveland team I saw against the Celtics had regressed since 2008, when they went damn close to stopping the eventual champs in the 2nd round. That team at least was tough defensively and fought hard to the end. Two years on, Cavs players still can't shoot under pressure and they are playing worse team defence.

Its not just the coach though. They have key players like Mo Williams and Antawn Jamison that will win them plenty of regular season games, but just aren't good enough when the competition heats up from the 2nd round of the playoffs onward. At a minimum, the Cavs have to find a way to offload Mo Williams and find a guy who can defend Rondo well (with help), shoot the three and handle the ball. They need to get rid of Jamison too, but I can't see who will take his contract.

Reply #278131 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Bo - you forgot JaMichael D'Brown.

I'm ambivalent about the sacking - I think the lack of a real Robin for LeBron's Batman was a far bigger issue this year. Still, I guess they gave Brown a decent shot at it. Desperation time now.

Reply #278135 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Ref & Champ; agree there, but at the standpoint that Lebron shouldn't be running the team. If your Marquee player tries to run everything, you tell him to back down or leave the court and take up a coaching position.

Mike Brown was fired because they couldn't fire anyone else; they're not going to bag half the team because they didn't perform, certainly not Lebron because they need to save face; he was the only viable option.

Reply #278136 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

In short, the Cavs recruited poorly over the last 3 seasons.

Mo was a mistake, Shaq was a mistake, keeping Big Z was a mistake.

They needed a defensive PG (Rondo was shopped after the 08 season), they needed a rebounding centre, and they needed some three point shooting.

Their best ouside threats are LeBron, Anthony Parker and Mo.

Does anyone know - what was the Cavs record against Boston, Orlando, Lakers, Spurs and Utah over the past couple of seasons? That will tell you how good the team was and whether Mike Brown had a genuine squad to work with.

Reply #278139 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Now that I think of it, changing it to just plain Le Brown might have made his star player happier, which would have counted for something?

Team owner: LeBron, we were going to fire Mike but he says he's happy to do whatever you tell him if it means he'll keep his job and you in Cleveland. Now we both know he can't coach, but I want to keep you here: your thoughts?

Lebron: I'll stay, but I want him to change his name.

TO: What?

L: I want him to change his name.

TO: To what?

L: Le Brown.

TO: What?

L: Le Brown. You know, so it's LeBron and Le Brown. In that order. I want Bill Simmons to write 'Lebron! Le Brown! Ladies and gentlemen, your 2010-11 Cleveland Cavaliers!'

TO: Let me put it to him.

Reply #278141 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Big Marty

I agree that Lebron shouldn't be coaching and with what you've said above. The fact is it's happened.

The team still needs a change and Mr Brown had to go. Too many passengers in the playoffs and drastic changes need to be made.

Reply #278145 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Terrible Bo, jussssst terrible.

This is long overdue, just to add to what the original poster said about coaches of the year, the last 6 coaches of the year (excluding this years) are all unemployed or not at the same team.

Reply #278150 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Actually, just looked it up, they are all unemployed except for D'Antoni who is now obviously coaching the Knicks. But Brown (CLE), Scott (NO), Mitchell (TOR), Avery (DAL), Hubie Brown (MEM) were all fired what...2 seasons after winning the award?

Reply #278151 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:15 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754