Isaac
Years ago

NBL schedule released - tip-off Oct 15

Basketball Australia has released the schedule for the 2010/11 National Basketball League season, with the Sydney Kings scheduled to make their highly-anticipated return to the NBL on the same day the competition begins play on Friday 15 October.

The Kings, who will return to the NBL after a two-year absence, will face long-time rivals the Melbourne Tigers on the road in a classic Sydney-Melbourne confrontation on Opening Night at the State Netball Hockey Centre (AKA 'The Cage').
Download the schedule (PDF)

Topic #23048 | Report this topic

dingo  
Years ago

it appears a very tough draw for the blaze:(

Reply #278277 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Sixers will need to be on the ball from day 1, none of this sloppy start.

4 of the first 5 games are at home and we want to be sit minimum 3-2. Home games are Perth (premiership hangover year?), 'Gong, Sydeney, and New Zealund.

Only other thing are the Friday games: 12th Nov and 3rd Dec is when district is still being played (another (you know who) forfeit coming up?). 17th Dec should be in school holidays and 18th Feb, 4th Mar and 18th Mar look like district is in full swing.

Reply #278280 | Report this post

AA  
Years ago

Previously BSA has postponed district games on Friday nights when the 36ers have been playing.

Reply #278289 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

In past the past the games were played on the sunday morning instead

So really that so be planned for when BSA do the programs for summer

No excuses for BSA

Reply #278290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes! Friday/Sat/Sun games, less of those horrible Wednesday night games!

Reply #278293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BASA used to postponed games. BASA used to own the 36ers.

BSA has never postponed games. BSA do not own the 36ers.

Reply #278295 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Love to be a fly on the wall in the discussions between BSA and Sixers. Surely there would be a meeting or four called

Isaac, you're our IT man in the inside, can't you set up a webcam?

Reply #278296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hate Sunday games - not sure if I'll be renewing given there's 4 Sunday games and only 2 saturday night games.

Reply #278298 | Report this post

AA  
Years ago

278295 BSA has postponed games before.

Reply #278305 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Sunday games are pathetic actually!

Just look at the forfeit rates. For normal round games, possibly 1 per 200 games played. For "catchup games", reckon it would be 1 in 30. Just go back and look at last season and the teams who forfeited. I would suggest it was because many of them play another sport on a Sunday morning.

While a majority of players at some clubs have decided to play only basketball, I reckon there is a high proportion of players at the more "working class" clubs who also play footy as well.

Reply #278309 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The schedule looks pretty good to me. Starting well after the end of the AFL/NRL season (this has always been a big criticism of the draw), and I like Sundays and Friday night games.

I can remember one year where there was a home game every Saturday night in December plus New Years Eve, and I could barely make any of them.

Reply #278310 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The season used to start in October and finish in April. However this was abandoned in favour of an earlier finish date due to footy codes.

Hopefully ONE will support the end of season strongly so it doesnt get lost.

Reply #278312 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Wow, very different schedule to any I can remember in my 10+ years of being a season ticket holder.

Only 2 games on Saturday night, Friday night has been targetted with 8 games, we get 4 on Sunday and then 1 on Thursday, which I can't remember ever happening.

I wonder what the reasoning for the change in scheduling is - obviously One HD has something to do with it... In my experience, the biggest crowds at Sixer games have generally been on Saturday nights, with Friday nights following close behind.

Reply #278313 | Report this post

Your Mum  
Years ago

cant believe only 2 saturday night games. I like to drink at games and saturday night games were great as I could have a bbq before the game and continue drinking after. Ill be attending less games this year it looks like.

Reply #278315 | Report this post

helium  
Years ago

haha your not going to go because you can't drink, I think there might be other issues you need to look at mum.

I actually prefer Friday night games, because there are less parties on Friday nights to attend, but town is usually pumping on Friday nights, so when we win can always head into town to continue the celebrations.

Reply #278317 | Report this post

True Supporter  
Years ago

Schedules will never suit everyone but I think fridays are great you still get all weekend and look at the success of twilight footy on a sunday and gues what "your mum" the bar is open fridays as well.

Regadless of when they play I will be signed up because this team deserves it, maybe you could all stop being season ticket holders again and then complain because there is no game ever because the team can't make money and they shut the doors.

Bigger picture people stop being selfish and be true supporters, I travel an hour to be there, bistro before then game then the city and still have my weekend....awesome.

Why punish the club for the NBL's schedule ???

Reply #278318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can everyone who is not going to renew there season tickets this season please let the club know so I might be able to get better seats

Reply #278324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many juniors play on Friday nights!! All these young fans arent going to be able to go and we want kids involved in supporting the NBL! So we put Sixers games on the same night most of them play??

Reply #278327 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

5 minutes of analysis shows:

- there is a friday night game every single round except round 11, when friday would be xmas eve
- there is a sunday game every single round except round 11 and the last round

conclusion: Ten/One HD are broadcasting fridays and Sundays same as Fox insisted on Wednesday's - the schedulers have provided Ten/One with a range of choices as to who they cover.

if the 36ers want to be on TV then they have to be available for Fridays and Sundays, same as if in the past they wanted to be on tv then they needed to put up with Wednesday.

- Adelaide and Perth are more aligned - four times a team plays in adelaide on Friday then goes to perth for sunday
- it happens in reverse once
- there are a couple more times where perth say plays at home friday then comes to adelaide sunday or vice versa

Reply #278328 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I totally agree. Many District juniors will be unable to go.We went to nearly every home game last year. If it's left like this we will not be seeing many this time.As was said,kids that are playing the sport should have the chance to be involved in supporting and learning from the NBL.

Reply #278329 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Anon, thats a great principle for many sports, but if you are serious about it then the junior leagues need to be scheduled for Saturday or Sunday morning like AFl and ARL do.

Basketball will not do that because if a child has to decide between basketball saturday or footy saturday then footy will mostly win. The other reason basketball will not do it is because its venues demand games to meet venue costs - unlike footy where the number of games generally has no impact on the rent paid.

Second tier sport = second tier scheduling = second rate conflicts - it is going to happen.

Reply #278330 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

From the look, there are only 5 of 14 home games that conflict with juniors on a Friday night, leaving 9 games to attend. And if a couple of those conflicting weeks are changed by BSA (3 December, 18 Feb), it is hardly an issue.

Reply #278332 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Less Saturday night games? That sucks as I love watching b-ball on a Sat night.

Friday's are still good.

I don't like the Sunday games much.

Thursday night? Big surprise.

Reply #278334 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

The 6ers don't pick the schedule people, Ten & One obviously have the most sway. A couple of the Friday games won't clash with juniors, due to holidays and what not, and given that BSA haven't released their schedule yet, you might all be jumping the gun...

Personally, I'm a fan. Can go the game Friday night, and then still have the whole w/e.

Reply #278340 | Report this post

Purist  
Years ago

Why would BSA throw heaps of money in the drain by not having Friday night games off for the 36ers?

Reply #278344 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Paul. It's not hardly an issue in the context of buying a family or junior season ticket. if you buy a season ticket and miss one or two games because of conflict maybe thats ok. If you miss 5 then it probably makes you think twice about membership.

Reply #278346 | Report this post

True Supporter  
Years ago

Well there is the other option, if it is really only 3 or 4 games that are affected. My kids would be happy to miss playing one week to go watch their hero (Darren Ng)play. 4 games in a year is no big deal when you get the chance to see the state's and nations best play and sometimes that can mean more to the kids.
What happens if BSA move games then you get on here and complain about that, we have a fragile national team and so many people are so quick to jump off and then blame others when they look like closing.
Saving the sixers was never going to happen in 12 months they need longer than that and we need this team more than a couple of junior games !!

Reply #278350 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's exactly what I was thinking True Supporter.

Reply #278351 | Report this post

Purist  
Years ago

Disagree,

The 36ers and more so the Lightning do nothing for BSA and juniors.

Moving junior games puts a financial risk on junior basketball from forfiets and drop out from families not interested in the W/NBL being messed around.

Reply #278354 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

Why don't BSA leave those friday nights that clash free (a bye). Problem solved or too logical

Reply #278357 | Report this post

Purist  
Years ago

1. Because there aren't enough weeks in the calander for the season.

2. They would lose too much money and go broke. 5 weeks without games would cost BSA about $150k. If the NBL or 36ers wanted to pay BSA that money no problems. Not to mention compensate them for the loss of players due to some people having 4 weeks off in the middle of the season due to bye's, longweekends and other games misses.

Reply #278358 | Report this post

Purist  
Years ago

Sorry, should be about $75k lost.

Reply #278361 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

All BSA and the Sixers need to do is find a compromise solution for two of those games (Dec 3 and Feb 18) and there are only three conflict games - that is a pretty good outcome.

The Dec 3 game the Sixers dont play again that round, so make those games a Sunday morning and have the Sixers players out at games with giveaways etc. Make those two Friday night Sixers game free entry for junior association members with a paying adult.

Problem solved.

Reply #278362 | Report this post

Purist  
Years ago

What about the cost to BSA? Of lost revenue and loss of players from the sport who couldn't care less about the 36ers.

And what about club bar and canteen losses, as well as messing around 400 teams who make basketball work in this state?

Why don't the NBL and 36ers do what is best for all of basketball and play more saturday games and sunday nights?

Until they realise that they are not important in the bigger picture and that all absketball doesn't revolve around them the better of we will be.

No team in Brisbane of Sydney last year, and do you think basketball stopped at junior level?

Reply #278365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Purist, how did baseball go in the junior level when the elite level for that sport vanished in this country?

Sure there are still a few baseball clubs out there who play, but with nothing to aspire to in the country its a far cry from what it once was

Your attitude and stubborness to even consider getting 2 organisations to work together for the greater good of the sport in unfortunately all too common these days and goes a long way to why bball is in the position it has been over the last few years

Reply #278366 | Report this post

Purist  
Years ago

Baseball at National level didn't impact juniors negatively, but didn't work because there wasn't any demand for it.

Totally different situation.

Its more about each knowing what the other is doing and working around it.

But NBL thinks its the be all and end all and doesn't wokr around juniors, but rather thinks it can do what it wants and have other run around for it.

I have no problem compromise, so long as juniors are not worse off in the process. And people don't have an understanding of the impact changing games has on juniors.

Reply #278367 | Report this post

True Supporter  
Years ago

Actually Purist you may have something against the sixers and the NBL however TV controls more of the scheduling because of the money they put in and the league needs that money to survive.

Obviously your kids have you to look up to and need nothing else however most kids in sports have heroes at the elite level they want to aspire to have the right to go watch them as well.

How about we all try and support all basketball at all levels because any of these levels we lose affect us all

Reply #278368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do junior games in other cities get postponed or cancelled to make way for NBL games?

Of course not.

Could you imagine the issues with moving VJBL games for a Friday night Tigers game.

Play the junior games on the Friday at the same time as the Sixers. The Dome isn't used for juniors so it doesn't even affect court space. The impact on the Sixers crowds would be minimal anyway as most basketball families are so burnt out having a child or multiple children play the game that they don't attend NBL games anyway.

Sixer fan base isn't junior basketball families. If you don't believe me have a look around the stadium on game 1. Yeah some people will be affected but they'll just miss a few NBL games, which most season ticket holders people do throughout a season anyway.

Reply #278369 | Report this post

Real Fan  
Years ago

There was a thread a few months ago asking what % of the sixers crowd is District.
Most agreed it was 10% or less.

I cannot see 4 games being a major issue for anyone.
I suppose the biggest risk is the loss of some District parents on season ticket sales.
On the flip side, district family's already have written of their life on Friday nights, I think it would be more attractive than a Saturday for the games that do not clash.

Is there any basis for these arguments?????

Friday clashes are a big issue for district family's, I understand that.

The question is, will Friday games increase crowd sizes in real terms, I think it may.

The sixers would have some imput to the schedule but very limited.

Reply #278370 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Purist - you need to realise that the 36ers have very little to do with scheduling. I'll think you'll find that the decision was made by the powers that be at One and the NBL.

Reply #278372 | Report this post

Purist  
Years ago

Agree, but I'm sure if they told the NBL that it was going to cost them 400-500 people each game they might get some chage. I'm sure they asked, but need to make a stronger financial case. And yes agreed that the NBL are equaly ignorant of the junior sport and marketing too them.

I think you need to understand that all their Friday night games wont be showed on One, only some of them.

Reply #278373 | Report this post

Real Fan  
Years ago

Purist,
I think you need to let your dark feelings from the past go!
We all know what happened in the BASA days, that was 5 years ago, I do not see any signs of the Sixers trying to take money from Junior Basketball.
Move on!!

Reply #278374 | Report this post

Purist  
Years ago

Real Fan,

not sure what you are on about. Not saying that they Nre trying to take money juniors, just that it "costs" BSA money to not play or reschedule games, as well as decreases retention rates du eot people getting pissed of with football clashes.

Reply #278375 | Report this post

Real Fan  
Years ago

Ok, so we have no problem.
No-one has said the junior games will be rescheduled.
Some have suggested it! that is all.
So a lot of bullshit over nothing

Reply #278377 | Report this post

Purist  
Years ago

Agreed, but still shows that the NBL don't understand that they need to play around each State's necessity rather than expect other people to change for them.

Reply #278378 | Report this post

True Supporter  
Years ago

See, now why say agreed and then say that, scheduling is hard enough given most teams play in an entertainment centre and do not have the luxury of their own dome like Adelaide let alone meet TV needs (thats where the money is) and then make every state with different needs happy, that would just never work.
Understand your frustration initially but be realistic there is more to consider than you.
When has anyone in basketball made a decision 100% of people have liked, any sport for that matter, just don't take it personally it is impossible to please everyone.

Reply #278380 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Purist - shows nothing of the sort. They have to plan x games over a span of y months. They have to consider TV and other things that might compete for crowds. And they have to factor in junior basketball on top of that. No schedule will please everyone and here's one that *might* double up for maybe 10% of the audience, at most. (And that 10% isn't factoring in the importance of the advantage of getting sponsors televised on TV.)

Reply #278382 | Report this post

Real Fan  
Years ago

Purist,
I understand your concerns, and agree that Clubs or BSA should not endure a cost resulting from the NBL schedule.
I think the hard done by here is the Sixers!
I am sure they are not thrilled about potential loss of ticket holders due to clashes.

You pointed out that junior development has no relationship to the NBL, so the clash will not affect junior basketball.

I also think that Friday night from a marketing pospective for the sixers may attract more crowd than Saturday's.

What is sad, is the affect on any juniors who also are a member of the sixers. Dont know what the number is, but would be an interesting statistic.

Question is, what can be done about that?

Could some Friday games go back to Saturday Morning for 1 or 2 games, obviosly with good notice, will this affect the Clubs? Can it work for all?

Could some games be played on Saturday night?

Could the Sixers offer season ticket holders involved in Juniors a 10 game ticket?

I cannot see the harm in discussing options to help a problem that no-one can fix for the GOOD of BASKETBALL

Reply #278390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting coversation between two people 1) Junior basketball supporter/parent with little or no interest in the NBL or Sixers 2) Sixers/NBL fan with no understanding of junior basketball.

In the end neither have a fair and reasonable understanding or respect for the other side. Both think they are more important. NBL is important, getting NBL on FTA is important which is the only reason for so many Friday night games. Junior basketball is important. Juniors playing on Friday nights where they fit into the local basketball schedule best and also the family household schedule balancing numerous weekend commitments.

Simple answer. Sixers play their games on Fridays as scheduled. BSA play their junior games on Fridays as scheduled. Least amount of impact on either is to not disrupt either. I really don't see why this is an issue.

Reply #278395 | Report this post

Purist  
Years ago

Not best case for either.

Juniors should be able to go to as many NBL games as possible.

36ers should not have people not attend due to poor scheduling decisions.

Reply #278398 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

By changing the district comp it should boost the crowd numbers at sixer games due to family already have pencilled that day as basketball

and instead of children playing they will go and watch the sixers play

and most teams train on a sunday morning so by rescheduling the game on sundays instead its not taking up any more time most families

Reply #278399 | Report this post

Purist  
Years ago

But most Sunday trainings are organised around football comitments.

Can BSA organise their trainings into each persons correct time frame?

Go look at the numebr of forfiets and the number of players missing on Sundays and then at the number of kids who leave the sport because of it.

Reply #278401 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Who is playing afl in summer?

Reply #278406 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Excellent point KB3

Reply #278407 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I think the obvious solutions is for all NBL games to be played at 2:30 am on Tuesday mornings. Won't clash with anything, and everone is happy.

Reply #278409 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

*everyone*

Oh, of course except those people who like watching Premier League games on Fox. But they would only be a small cross section of the NBL viewing community and are clearly less valuable people than juniors.

Reply #278410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If round 1 started with Melbourne V Sydney on Friday night and Adelaide V Perth Sunday afternoon on ONEHD/Ten, that would be an awesome beginning to the tv coverage.

Reply #278442 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

there simply is no pleasing ppl, build a bridge get over it, do you honestly think the nbl will build there fta deal there schedule around juniors in south australia, if you do get off the whoopy weed and start coming back to earth,

will it affect juniors coming probably, is it as dramatic as no fta no its not, we as fans have been screaming about fta and now it here we pissed off cause if conflicts with a few junior matches,

Reply #278505 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I seem to recall Juniors , in Summer , play a handful of games before about 6 weeks or so of school holidays , then a few games after that. You could shift a coupla games and 2 will conflict.
They follow NBA and footy, while 10% follow NBL.
Way to go CH10 for covering basketball.
They put up round 1 on sports tonight. Haven't seen it mentioned in other media, Advertiser and the like.
ABC radio said they'd cover sixers saturday nite games, but they didn't if Serena was playing tennis and the like. Covered half of our Saturday home games only.

Reply #278507 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

Trouble is Thomo,I know 4 long term family season holders that play Junior BB and clash with friday nights .Thats 8 adults and 7 children(1 close to being an adult anyway).Thats a lot of money now not in ticket sales and the impulse buys at the Food Stalls.Also FTA advertising doesnt inspire me to purchase anything either.Also 2 dine ins at the Apollo Room(someones Birthday).Granted any of us may attend some nights but only if we choose too.
I was one wanting FTA too.I didnt imagine OneHD would flip the games around to strip the live audience.

Reply #278562 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:16 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754