Rikrok
Years ago

LeBron James number change

I'm just thinking out loud here folks but do you think the change to number 6 had anything to do with James heading over to his hero's former team that may have retired said hero's old 23 jersey??? just saying!!

Topic #23070 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

Well, wait until he ACTUALLY heads over to Chicago first =P

Considering for Chicago, the "23" jersey is retired, it would be ludicrous to even think of giving it to him. When a jersey is retired for a team, it shouldn't be taken down for a newcomer to wear.

On the subject, I remember years ago seeing Pearce, Mackay and Green's singlets hanging from the rafters at the Powerhouse. What ever happened to them?

Reply #278650 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

LeBron came out and stated that every club should retire the number 23 jersey in honour of Jordan and even though he didn't think it would happen said that he would not wear the number 23 jersey as of next season out of respect for MJ.

Reply #278659 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

It's all a marketing thing. If you wear number 23, you can't be marketed as effectively as a brand because 23 is always associated with Michael Jordan.

Reply #278661 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

the orgiginal questions is a great one and i think has some real merit, chicago has to be the front runner in the free agent race!!! also the point about the marketing factor is definetly the case and was the first thing i thought of when he made this announcement!!

Reply #278662 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

What Panther32 said - LeBron announced that he would be doing this ages ago, probably around midseason. Agree that marketing was probably always a factor.

Reply #278664 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Actually, if you want to over examine the number change, a player only has to submit an application to the league to change numbers if he is staying with the same team. A player can feely change his number if he is traded or signs with a new club.

So based on this info, Lebron would be staying in Cleveland. But Lebron knew this would stir things up, so it means very little at the moment.

Reply #278666 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I believe the Miami Heat retired #23 as respect to Jordan around the same time Lebron first came out with this requested many months ago.

Reply #278667 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Yes Champ this is true.

Reply #278669 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Also, LeBron has just told Larry King in an interview that Cleveland "has an edge" over the other teams in free-agency. So I agree with ss - wouldn't read too much into the number change in terms of where he'll sign.

Reply #278671 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Of course he would say that.

Reply #278686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its just about money, kobe changed his number and is still on top of the most jerseys sold list. lebron just wants to catch him.

Reply #278693 | Report this post

Chucker  
Years ago

Miami retired the #23 about 7-8 years ago, when Jordan retired the from the Wizards. They have also retired #13 for Dan Marino of the NFL Dolphins. Half of their retired #'s never even played for them!!

Reply #278703 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Marty, they were put up there as 'honoured' but then the numbers were reused (Farley, Rogers, etc). Eventually, it was noticed that this looked a bit wrong so it was outlined that there were retired numbers and the others were honoured rather than retired from use. Bit awkward, but probably the best idea.

Reply #278708 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

I think the NBA should retire the #6 in honour of Andrew Bogut

Reply #278895 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:58 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754