Isaac
Years ago

Hawks sign McLeod 'for life'

Illawarra sporting icon Gordie McLeod has effectively become a Wollongong Hawk for life.

Yesterday the Hawks announced the NBL coach of the year would remain with the club on "a multi-year agreement" - a strong indicator that the 1980 Olympian will have the job for as long as he wants it.

Guiding Wollongong to the 2009-10 grand final series would have given McLeod extra clout at the negotiating table.
Full story

Topic #23140 | Report this topic

pwned  
Years ago

old news. that was announced last week

Reply #279575 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

But good news nonetheless for both Wollongong and McLeod, although I am always a bit sceptical about these long-term arrangements...they just never last!

Reply #279583 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac, it might be old news but I didnt know of it yet!

Reply #279588 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Didn't work for the Blaze and I'm not sure how well it's gone for the Tigers either.

Reply #279589 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

2 titles and 4 grand finals - a year or two down the bottom is worth it for that.

Reply #279595 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I think that they trust Gordies judgement as he will step aside if they stop winning. I think it gives great stability to a club that needs it.

Reply #279602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think melbourne's record speaks for itself. I can't think of many teams in recent history who played in 4 consecutive grand final series and took out 2 titles.

Reply #279663 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Paul and anon, was thinking of this year just been - there were some rumours of things being very unsettled in Melbourne. Aware of their success prior to that. (Which of those seasons came after the "He has the job as long as he wants it"-type release from Seamus? Can't remember.)

Reply #279667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not 100% sure but I think it was after the championship in his first season as coach - it was pretty early on from memory.

Reply #279688 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

There was a lot of player unrest at the Tigers this past season, and a lot of it had to do with how the coach handled all of his "stars" and the lack of court time some players were receiving. the number of players that left after last season is probably testamoutn to that.

Reply #279692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seen him play? Dudes got skills.............definately NBL First team standards, McKee will be forgotton!

Reply #289978 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:10 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754