Camel 31
Years ago

Boomers v Argentina (spoiler)

I thought they were gonna catch up and make it 1 game all, with the decider being played in ADL.

Topic #23223 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yer schattman really lit it up i think if they had more defensive and offensive prensence in the paint they would be competitive

Reply #280728 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah, it was a good run by the Argentinians late in the game to make it look respectable. Scatman only got it going once the Boomers switched off though.

I've changed my view of this series now that I've seen just how bad a team Argentina sent. We needed better competition to really test our fringe players and see if they have what it takes. This mob would struggle to beat some NBL sides.

I hope Larry Sengstock makes it clear to the Argentines that sending a C grade team with no big men to Australia is unacceptable. It will help if the Boomers send them home with a 50 point loss in game three, just to really embarass them.

Reply #280750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not nbl sides, they would struggle against seabl teams.

Reply #280758 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think a well drilled NBL team would wipe the floor with both teams, given they are still getting to know each other. No doubt the Argies improved their execution at both ends and particularly their intensity as the game wore on, so hopefully there will at least be a bit of spirit in game three.

Reply #280766 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Just remember the Argentina team landed here Friday at 6am in the morning..

I dont care who you are, your going to play terrible with jet lag and hardly any sleep(lord knows I never can sleep on planes).

So while we saw a big improvement in game2, I still think there a little better then what we saw(even if they are the B- team)

Reply #280798 | Report this post

The Champ  
Years ago

interesting thoughts from browny
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/world-cup-2010/boomers-brown-happy-with-his-problems/story-fn4l4sip-1225885606719

If he is thinking of Wortho for the 4 spot, I think he could be in a bit of trouble.

Looks like it'll go down to the wire with Martin & Gibbo for one of the last spots.

Reply #280882 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Man that worries me, and that was always going to be a concern - that Brown would have to learn the lessons Goorjian leanred all over again, especially with no assistant carrying over.

Neither Ingles nor Newley can match up on James, Anthony, Kleiza, Nocioni, Khryapa or even Mika Vukona in the three spot. Worthington has good size for an international three, but can only pa=lay the four if a favourable matchup presents itself.

Hopefully a few games against decent opposition in the leadup will set the coaching staff straight.

Reply #280902 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Argies had a go at it last nite. But the single most important force was Mills with some little gems and masterwork.

Reply #280937 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Paul, I agree that Ingles and Newley can't guard the top rung of threes at international level. But what is Brown going to do? As far as I know there is no-one out there who has stepped forward, so we're just going to have to make do. Maybe Bose can be the guy down the line, but he obviously didn't impress Brown enough to make the roster for this Argentina series, so he must be a long way off what we need.

Reply #281015 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:39 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754