Jack Toft
Years ago

Women’s ABA Teams Bottom 5 wrap up

Season over for 5 teams, so let's wrap up how they went.

10th - Lions (0-18)
The cupboard is well and truly bare and has received yet another wooden spoon. Last round was a heartache. Basically up by 1 with one play left and South stole it like Mike Rann at the last election. Lionesses improved significantly over the season and needed a few more games to snare a win, were still losing games, but no-where by so much. Huge difference between first 7 games and last 11. Amber Land the obvious star and Lions should be looking at moving up several notches next season if they get on top of turnovers – 485 for the season is way too many. Mail is that Amber might snare a Lightning gig, which usually means a transfer in on the cards as we can't have the talent evenly spread can we?
9th – Warriors (4-14)
In a position where they could have potentially won half their games and played pretty well against the Sabres both times. Shooting poorly from the field won’t win matches and they need to work on that while the lighting at St Clair gets upgraded. Got stuck in the St Clair swamp and lost 7 of their last 8 games. Stumbled through this season and if a plan for next season is not hatched, all teams should mark a "W" when they play them next season.
8th – Panthers (6-12)
Johnson a cut above the rest of the team and Charlie has relinquished her title as turnover queen. Once again, shooting % too low has resulted in low scores so plenty of time in the off season to practice between fire drills at the tin shed. Wheels fell off in the second half and recorded the worst loss of the season at Wayville. The Eagles are still trying to mop the blood off the court in between flooding and might even send a bill for cleaning. Panthers halcyon days were in the '60s, which if you can remember them man, you weren’t there or didn’t smoke enough.
7th – Mavs (7-11)
A fresh team this year and the girls have played with all the confidence of a teenager with a fake ID this season and would be disappointed with finishing 7th. They featured in 7 tight losses which if gone their way Hoops would be full of ra-ra posts letting us all know who good they are. Madgen the conspicuous standout in the team and the best player not playing finals. Shot 38% from the field and did everything right except win away from home - scoring dropped by an average of 8 away from the lofty heights of the Mount Barker Rec Centre. If this team sticks together, watch out next year, these girls will be like cougars at the Grand Hotel on a Wednesday night – after fresh meat.
6th – Rockets (9-9)
Their roster is full of quality and it’s hard to pick a bad apple in the roster to play the blame game. So why aren’t these girls in finals? What could they have done better this season? These girls will be asking themselves the same question over a pineapple cruiser. Simple answer is this season had 7 teams fighting for 5 spots. There were 4 games they could have won, but they might have just ended up Eaglebait in the finals. At least they will be able to barrack for the boys.

Using the rule of one player per team and all positions to be filled, my starting 5 from these teams is: Madgen (EM) (C), Land (CD) (F), Hill (NA) (F), Johnson (SA) (G), Brown (WW) (G).

Mens to follow later in the week

Topic #23425 | Report this topic

anon  
Years ago

Rockets women failure.. maybe have a looking at the coaching staff

Reply #283682 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Rockets women failure.. maybe have a looking at the coaching staff

Reply #283683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

please explain?

Reply #283688 | Report this post

Rhea 26  
Years ago

Maybe that the coaches were starting both their kids?

Reply #283690 | Report this post

rocket  
Years ago

Good report Jack Toft,
keep up the good work

Reply #283703 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

maybe its because the coches kids earnt their spot in the first five.

Reply #283712 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

maybe its because both the coaches kids earnt their spot in the first five?

Reply #283713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only the two coaches concerned would believe their kids earnt starting five spots it maybe why north aren't in the finals - as Jack said, talented team has to be a reason why they didn't make the 5

Reply #283723 | Report this post

mckay  
Years ago

I'm the daughter of the coach and if my dad wanted to favor me he would have started me 4 years ago when he started coaching. However, I sat on the bench for 3 years and earnt my spot just like everyone else.

Reply #283752 | Report this post

woot  
Years ago

Re Eastern, the team won't stick together because Madgen won't play another game under their current coach, which I'm sure isn't a surprise to anyone. Looks like Eastern will be roughing it out with Centrals and Woodville next season.

Reply #283754 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

probably because you were only 12, 4 years ago.

Reply #283757 | Report this post

mckay  
Years ago

its really lovely how you will share your opinion but not your name. grow some balls.

Reply #283761 | Report this post

woot  
Years ago

If I were you, I wouldn't put my name to "grow some balls". Charming.

Reply #283766 | Report this post

mckay  
Years ago

rightio. i just think its funny that people who probably dont even know me or have any idea about how our team works will say things and not post their name.. i have no issue with people posting things about me and giving their opinion if they would just man up instead of saying it anonymously

Reply #283768 | Report this post

woot  
Years ago

I guess that's the beauty of a forum, isn't it sweetheart?!

Reply #283770 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Woot - Somehow, I think she would be the one needing to grow some to get a game anywhere else.. daddy wouldn't be there to dish out the minutes i'm afraid.

Reply #283771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon,Woot,

Life isn't fair at times is it. Everyone seems to get a helping hand to get on with their life but we miss out. Maybe or maybe not she got a helping hand but at the end of the day she has retained her minutes by performing on the court.

Look at the stats for minutes played and they are in the top two or three for the team for about 22 minutes played. If the performances weren't there then complain but I think you have nothing to complain about!!

Reply #283800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

in all honesty irrespective of who the coaching staff was, to have a talented team and to finish 6th is not good enough. I guess if you compare Mark Williams to North perhaps the coach hasn't got the best out of the players. No reflection on Mike he was a fantastic player but perhaps a change on coaching staff may see this talented team rise again. This is in no way disrespectful to the coach. Three years now and they have not fired....made the GF first year then slid down...where is Mark Wallis he can spark them

Reply #283802 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

Maybe losing a top quality centre who was replaced by a princess who didn't last many weeks into the season would have as much to do with results than the coaches daughter getting preferential treatment.

Reply #283806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

by the sounds of it the team were better off w/o her...what i have seem the teams is good just needs pushing and I think a coach change is on the cards time to look and turn it around

Reply #283810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marc wallis spark them, yeah right. Former players hated his coaching and likened him to a spoilt brat. give me Max any day.

Reply #283847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

clearly you didn't play for mark. easily one of the best coaches i ever had. PERSONAL experience...

Reply #283863 | Report this post

Dione 41  
Years ago

Mark Wallis won a championship.

Mike McKays team have finished lower evry year.

Reply #283874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dione - I could have coached that team to a victory - was stacked with so much more talent whereas the current team minus Jo and Tania would probably all be U23's and most of them U20.

Reply #283877 | Report this post

Gemima  
Years ago

Yeah I'd take Wallis any day. And that princess who left a few weeks into the season.... well that just leads to the same questions already flowing - how well do the North coaches manage and communicate with their players? Hmm

Reply #283897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give me Marc Wallis any day, Mike doesnt know how to communicate with his players, he is to worried about his self. past experience! Few years back i had a serious injury, Mike didnt even attempt to call but Marc not even coaching rang to see if i was doing ok! And kept in touch.

Marc may have been an ass of a coach but was a good coach and got the best out of players, when you hit the court it was baketball but off the court he is completely different. Mike on the other couldnt give two shits about ANY of his players this is including is daughter...

Reply #283913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gemina makes a great point that goes back to JT original comment about North and them being a talented squad, besides an aging hill and Dhu they are pretty young and not that talented, compared to north sides of few years ago there is a massive drop off, the coaches kids playing is irrelevant, as there is no one else in the squad who deserve them more

Reply #283924 | Report this post

Vesta 27  
Years ago

The question then is, why has the talent dropped off so quickely. And I would suggest that it would be both coaches daughters. Mansfield is shooting at 20 something percent for the year but manages to start. And McKay has been getting minutes for years and only scores cause she can shoot when she likes. Got ripped apart at the defensive end on Saturday.

Reply #283935 | Report this post

Detroit  
Years ago

Yet another anonymous poster just stirring the pot.

Seriously whats the point of having a go at somebody in that manner, do you have nothing better to do with you time than this pathetic jab?

Anyone who posts as anonymous has two heads and six fingers, and this came from an anonymous poster!!!!

Reply #283947 | Report this post

Gemima  
Years ago

Ouch... It's getting personal.

Anon your right... there was no one else on that team... not an obvious player .. that should have been starting ahead of the starters. And to be honest Shannon has thrived with the opportunity she has been giving, top scoring a number of times.

What was missing in that teamw as communication between coach and player, player and coach and probably player and player. Without an open communication line things fester and team morale declines quickly - perhaps the reason for a loss of players over the past few years.

Guess what... there will be another season and one after that for North to get it right! yay

Reply #283951 | Report this post

woot  
Years ago

Detroit, I always find it amusing when people such as yourself post stuff under 'Detroit' or whatever other random name you like have a go at people posting under 'anonymous' because they are not revealing themselves. I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure I don't know anyone in the basketball community named Detroit, so who are you?

Reply #283967 | Report this post

Detroit  
Years ago

Ha Ha i already knew what your response was going to be as soon as i posted!

Im not sitting here taking shots at people like our anonymous friend :)

My anonymous comment at the bottom of my post was simply a bit of fun in reference to anonymous line of "put some pressure on her, and she doenst shake your hand at the end of the game. And that came from a parent!!!".

(Note i cant actually find the original post now.....)

Reminded me of the "friend of a friend told me" type of scenario.

Oh and me posting under Detroit, thats the beauty of a forum, isn't it sweetheart?! :D

Reply #283976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isn't that like you being under anonynmous, having the name detroit? beauty of forum sweetheart ;)

Reply #283994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great club in decline - so sad. Nepotism does not pay. Just about time to wake up on ALL LEVELS. Most of the good kids have already left and play somewhere else. No back up plan - that is all they have. Just look at their junior results. The only team with results is Marc Wallis's U14 girls (surprise, surprise). Prepare for mediocre for years to come.

Reply #283997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I coach my daughter and have done for a number of years. Can be tricky. In an effort to be seen to be fair, inevitably you end up being more than fair to others and less than fair to your own. (that has been my experience anyway) Despite my best efforts i am probably harder on my daughter than i am to other people's children. Fortunately we still have a healthy relationship. I dont know the coach/es in question so i am in no position to comment, however i can say that it can be a tricky balancing act coaching your children. That said, at state and national level i make sure that i remain well clear of the selection process so that my daughter does not have to face "the slings and arrows " i see on this post.

Reply #284004 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Been interesting reading this thread and the various comments about the Lightning and the perceived issues there which are similar. Coaching a partner or child is an extremely difficult scenario as no matter what you do, no matter how talented they are, some one will always come up with perceived bias.

In the olden days, I coached several female teams in monor leagues, some with my then partner playing in and others she didnt. The main issue is that a Coach has to make the difficult task to isolate themselves from any personal relationship when they are at a game. I found I had to coach a female team different to a male team as they needed to be approached differently to their male counterparts. Most female players in my experience need to be treated as individuals, what works to encourage one, will not work with another. Some take personal feedback different to others as well. There are of course other factors unique to females that have to be understood and taken into consideration when relating to them.

However, whether male or female, it is the ability to get the message across in such a way that the players are open and responsive that is the most important. The players must want to play for the coach and their team mates.

From a distance, it appears that this is a contributing factor to several of the female teams that are regularly mentioned in this forum.

Reply #284008 | Report this post

woot  
Years ago

Ushiro, some valid points. There is not one coach in the comp (besides probably Sharon Symons) at the moment that I would play under. The standard of coaching in the ABL has nose-dived - pretty sad really.

Reply #284013 | Report this post

Gemima  
Years ago

Ushiro
"However, whether male or female, it is the ability to get the message across in such a way that the players are open and responsive that is the most important. The players must want to play for the coach and their team mates."

HERE HERE!!

Reply #284018 | Report this post

Vesta 27  
Years ago

I would think that Bec Lock would be a starter in front of either coaches daughter. Considering she is the leading 3 point shooter in the competition and scoring more than both.

And starting 2 point guards against a big Sturt line up made little sence.

I would also suggest that players have moved clubs and/or quit over the past couple of years, including this year, giving the coach little options.

Reply #284038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well well well.....have a look at this. You talk about North ABA girls and all I read is about the troubles....does this show that the girls are not happy with the coaches...reading this its obvious they do. For North to rise again needs to move on the coach and his assistant. North were once a power house now look...who is responsible...I know let's ask Barry Mansfield WHY??? I agree the girls are very talented bu this post tells us all why...bye coaches

Reply #284071 | Report this post

Ceres 98  
Years ago

Interesting Ushiro's camparison to Lightning. Perhaps the North women have had a problem (and maybe still do) over the last few years not dissimilar to the Lightning - agreed coaches aren't perfect, but perhaps it might be more about players who are not willing to play for the TEAM or the coach but are more interested in playing for themselves. No amount of communication by coaches or players with these "me " centered players will get them to play TEAM basketball unless the team revolves around them. Maybe the the Lightning have solved their problem with the departure of the coahes but the learned hoopsta's on this forum suggest the problem may still exist. Maybe North's problems have moved or maybe a change in coaching staff is neeeded or perhaps both, time will tell.
The strategies of coaching - there are so many experts - if only coaches had a direct communication to all the "very intelligent" and "all knowing" x players and parent coaches on the sideline it would make their coaching much easier. Today's generation of parents have way to much to say and and are ruining, certainly junior, basketball.

Reply #284077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

QUESTION: "Hey Goose - North aren't the only club with the "me me me" attitude, are they?"

ANSWER: "No Maverick, they not."

Reply #284079 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

Damn , are all those SA anon posters claiming an unfair advantage re parents coaching their children still around here ??, They were singing the same song about Gaze putting his no-hoper 19 year old son into the Olympics in the 70's.

You really have to be rather pathetic at a personal level to target the child when being critical of such relationships. In every case I have ever seen, arguable favouritism or not, the kid usually works their ar$e off a lot harder than the rest of the players, particularly at a higher level.

I also rarely hear coaches with any coaching talent or respectable coaching history themselves accuse other coaches of favouritism of the coaches' own kids, unless they have kids in that team as well.

In which case they are speaking even more as a parent than the actual coach is, at least the real coach has to try to win some games.

Reply #284210 | Report this post

not fair  
Years ago

TIME COUPLE WOMENS MOVED ON - but bet one will maintain the longest losing record.

Reply #284250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack time to retire after a wrap that has to be your least thought out!

Reply #284296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a poster who has both dished out and copped it (in terms of having my ideas etc shot down) I'd advise the above poster to take a look at him or herself because personal, offensive attacks on anyone are a low act. Have your say on their coaching style or ability but keep the personal and repulsive crap to yourself.

Reply #284462 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I have to say this is the most disgusting link I have read. Especially, Anonymous at 15.52.29 - how DISGUSTING ARE YOU to attach these coaches - YOURE A disgusting Joke - and hopefully you do not have children playing

Reply #284499 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

apologise before someone else points it out - should reat attack

Reply #284500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

again it shows that the coaches have to walk away...its time...its nasty you posters cant keep to the facts instead you attack people and at times volunteers who put in countless unappreciated hours...look at yourself....stick to the facts. The coaches have to go but that is not a failing of the people privately...they have tried simple as that. Mike is a smart man or I think he is...very talented and wore the Australian jumper with pride for your pleasure, dont ever forget that. He will walk away knowing he has tried and what is wrong with that...Mike thanks for the years of pleasure you have given all us basketball followers...pity we cant turn the clock back...three point swish...bloody beautiful

Reply #284502 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:31 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754