TP
Years ago

New commercial for NBL on One

Check out the new NBL commercial here (sorry, dont know how to embed video).

I'm all for promoting the NBL, but I'm a little disappointed that they've taken the "cheesy" approach on this one.

What are people's thoughts?

Topic #23742 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like it, think it's quite funny.
Better than a reel of b-level highlights that can't compare with the NBA.

Reply #288391 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

i didnt mind it. could have been a bit better but still entertaining. atleast NBL is finally getting some advertising now.

Reply #288393 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Reply #288399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In a way I like it and in a way I don't. Would have been nice to see some actual game highlights and promotion of the players which SHOULD be household names. On the other hand I quite like the "live in your home" theme and the ad is quite entertaining. Raw highlights and action to get fans in would have been better.

Reply #288410 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

I dont like it. I wish they had struck a deal with the Gruen Transfer and come up with something good.

Reply #288418 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

one problem is it doesnt really highlight the atmosphere in the games or how entertaining they really are. hopefully they have a series of ads and this one of them and another will have more in game highlights.

Reply #288425 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon '410, I kinda agree. There's something a bit weak when it features players that almost no one will know, but the basic theme isn't awful (even if it means there's no real NBL action). Certainly finishes stronger than it starts (a kid missing a shot by miles, hitting a gnome (who under 70 has one?), and then ringing a physical bell (again, who has one?)). Was at the pub just before and saw it on TV so it's now live.

Reply #288426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would there have been an issue getting footage due to Fox having broadcast rights last year?

Only footage Ten could have show would have been mid 90s.

Reply #288429 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

Good point #288429. I think some crowd reaction shots would have brought in some atmosphere and some footage of some more recognisable players, but #288429 makes a good point, which is probably why there is no game footage.

That said, I will take an average ad over no advertising any day.

Reply #288441 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I don't mind the concept at all, and like another poster stated, I hope it is the first of a series that hones in on a few stars/Boomers in an attempt to make them household names and put some faces against the NBL like there was back in the Gaze days...

Reply #288443 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

i like it it makes it look fun, not just a cardboard cut-out 'come to the basketball' ad. it will get peoples attention more than showin a few highlights an the normal bball spiel, good work NBL/ONE HD

Reply #288458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They also was filming the trailer for a new movie.

Taj McCollough male Giggilo 2! The bedroom Chronicles

Reply #288476 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Brilliant!

Reply #288489 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

It's easy to criticise isn't it.

I think it gets the point across well - "NBL back on free to air" (as it explicitly says so). Remember that it's more of an ad for One HD and to get people watching than it is an ad to get people to basketball games.

In regard to the "promotion of the players which SHOULD be household names" argument - realistically, your average Joe Punter is going to know f**k all players these days, the biggest name on that ad is the commentator (Gaze). Getting basketball back on FTA is the first step to rectifying this, otherwise you're jumping the gun a bit.

Reply #288506 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I wonder if they live in fear of players used in promotions moving on from the NBL? (Then again, they had to pick one King at least and should have an import presence.)

With more time and confidence that players would hang around, those players in action could've paused mid-flight and had a name/nickname/accolade pop-up.

e.g., Lisch being finals MVP, Ballinger, captain and x-time club MVP, Taj a new face in Sydney, Schenscher (more recognisable than Hinder who I think I saw in there?), Abercrombie (something about the age at which he was named to the Tall Blacks), etc.

Probably the best creative work to come out associated with the NBL for a fair while?

Reply #288509 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

They should have put in Abercrombie's dunk against Wollongong in the ad.

That would have been great. Everyone loves to see dunks.

Reply #288567 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Definitely the best creative work to come from the NBL in a very very very very very long time...

Reply #288568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a cracker of an ad. Compared to what Fox have done over the past few years it's miles ahead. Talk about whinging for the sake of it. Well done ONE HD! Massive step in the right direction. I have a physical door bell and my mum has gnomes...

Reply #289249 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:23 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754