Flinders80
Years ago

Where have the nicknames gone

Whilst watching the last NBL on one hd I actually had to agree with Steve Carfino in that is not enough nicknames in the league. I wonder if the nicknames left the sport right around the same time the sport left FTA.

Leeping Leroy Login
Alabama Slammer

I cant remember the others. Can people post some of these ones from yester year.

And also can we possibly start some new ones

Topic #24309 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

So Luke Schensher isn't called "Big Red" or Oscar Forman isn't "The Big O", or Darren Ng isn't "Ninja".

Granted the last one seems more like a racial slur than a decent nickname, but they do exist.

You'll probably find unlike the NBA, that half the people in the league don't really want a Nickname, so you need to force one on them.

I'd like to call Shaun Redhage "Nudge" because he's always nudging people with elbows and shoulders.

Need to call Luke Nevill "Lurch", because he's always sporting that "You Rang" look in-game.

Reply #296448 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

I like those

Now we just need One HD to start saying them. Especially like the reference to Lurch but cant see steve carfino working that one in. Would love him to say

"Big Red sends that out of here"

Reply #296449 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Hodge is a wanker, does that count?

Reply #296452 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Certainly does! Anything is better than 'Da Jules of Harlem on his way to stardom'. :/

Reply #296472 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Yeah - I miss hearing nicknames like "Twin Air"

Reply #296490 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

My favourite was always 'The Real Deal' John Rillie...

Steve Carfino used to drop that name in his commentary whenever JR started hitting it from outside

Reply #296495 | Report this post

curtleyAmbrose  
Years ago

Very few imports stick around for years these days (i have no stats to back this up, but it's a hunch) and maybe that's one reason. Also the top 10 Aussie players are playing outside of Australia wheras in the good old days the core of the top Boomers team was in the NBL.

Reply #296496 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

What about SideWinder (though he hasn't really earnt it yet) and Shiny Brasswell?

I like Big Marty's nicks for Redhage and Nevill too.

Reply #296514 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems we've gotta Creek now. A Hillbilly. We've got Balls. Coach Carter, Commander Clarke, Medicine Man,
Bring it Home. A DJ. Howdy Neighbour.

Reply #296516 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Don't take this too seriously.....

"Silky" DeVries, "Slamming" Sam Harris, "Wolf" Creek, "Dangerman" Dodwell, "Rocket" Rhyss Carter.

Wollongong:
Saville "Road", "TB" "Beer and Skittles", "Door" Matt Campbell, Larry "the Lounge Lizard" Davidson, Zac "Bieber" Delaney, Daniel "Stargate" Jackson, Tyson "Ink" Demos, Gary "Gerbil" Ervin, "Grouch" Forman, "Groovy" David Gruber.

Thomas Abercrombie "and Fitch"
Matt "Feather" Burston
Julian Kazzough "Gesundheit"
Kirk "Spenda" Penney
Corey "Nikki" Webster

Reply #296522 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Jameer Braswell.
Can't believe how similar they are!

Reply #296600 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:07 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754