E
Years ago

Rumour: DeVries to be cut, injured?

I Have heard that Troy Devries may be cut SOON due Injury.

Has anyone else heard something along these lines?

Topic #24468 | Report this topic

SRT070  
Years ago

I have heard about his injury and that it has been negatively effecting his performance but this is the first ive heard of him being cut.

Reply #298673 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I hope not, I like what he brings, but I guess if he is injured and not likely to recover to an acceptable level within the next month or so then they should look elsewhere.

Reply #298687 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

I agree with you No Deal, i think what he has brought has been really good and it would be worth keeping him but not at the expense of not playing for a while. hope he recovers and comes good. it would be great to see him on the court with shannon it could be something special.

Reply #298691 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Reply #298695 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Seems unfair to cut if he is injured

Reply #298697 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

I've heard he's a big chance to go. But I've heard nothing about an injury. The new guy maybe around already.

Reply #298698 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Hope that they aren't going to cut him. He's worth the money IMO.

Reply #298700 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Jack it depends on the severity of the injury. if he is injured enough to be out for half the season then it would be worth replacing. if its a matter of 2 or 3 games then id stick it out. i think the sixers will keep him and see how the partnership of him and shannon go.

Reply #298701 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wow. I would be sad to see him go because he has such a high bball IQ, but he has only been ok this year when you consider his main weapon, his shot, isnt working. If this does turn out to be true it would certainly shatter the train of thought that SOS werent up for changing imports!

Reply #298702 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Fellow Import Troy DeVries, whose form also has fallen away since a positive start, is carrying hip and hamstring-like injuries - (From Nagys Winder article on Monday.)
' A professional athlete is hardly ever going to be 100%' Clarke said (in that article).

Top scorer and runner up POTW on debut, but playing like an injured man, now.

Reply #298703 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

If he's cut due to injury would his contract be paid out by insurance or would SOS be wearing that as well? I can't imagine they'd be keen to foot the bill for 2 replacement imports.

Reply #298715 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Missed that injury report. Never heard Marty come out with a comment on a player's injury/illness before.... (But since I missed one I could be wrong)

Reply #298716 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

in Marty's interview after tha game friday night he did metion DeVries playing with an injury...

Reply #298719 | Report this post

Roger Murdock  
Years ago

Any thoughts on Eddie Shannon ?

Reply #298723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If this does turn out to be true it would certainly shatter the train of thought that SOS werent up for changing imports!"

Since SOS have come in up until this past weekend it was a bit more than a "train of thought". Remember Cortez Groves last season? who you said paul would be a great signing?

Reply #298726 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Great signing, no. Solid role player for the team - yes. But I was wrong on that one.

It would be just a train of thought if they or the coach were thinking the team was on the verge of the playoffs (which amazingly they were until Gilchrist got injured despite how ugly some of their basketball was) so we wont change anything.

Reply #298729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Solid role player? I know it's your job and all but you were pumping the guy right up. Your quotes on Cortez Groves just before/after he was signed:

-"Groves 2008 season, along with most Dragons that year, was tainted by Heal's inability to coach a young side.

Groves can play."

-"Heal had no system in 2008. And Groves fitted in fine in Goorj's system."

-"Former league leading scorer Groves? Terrible option."

-"In top form, Groves is certainly at a similar level to D Smith, Ere and Hodge, and well above Darden, Grizzard etc.

I understand concerns about him because he had a poor year under Heal at the Dragons, and then had average numbers and a season-ending injury under Goorjian.

But as someone who saw a bit of him play last year, he looked really good. In excellent shape, playing really good d, and sacrificing his game for the team. With a bigger role with Adelaide, and the new tricks he learned under Goorjian, he and Gilchrist could be a real, athletic handful for opposition teams."

-"Hill is undersized for a small forward. There is more to consider than listed height. But I think he has an advantage at the other end, and I suspect Gilchrist and Groves will be able to cover some defensive situations too."

-"Agreed. Undersized isnt always the end of the world!"

-"One thing Adelaide and Cairns (and maybe Perth) have shown, you can drastically cut spending and get just as good a team."

Reply #298745 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

paul, I think you have a stalker

Reply #298747 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

' Devries connected on a couple of trademark triples
which could give him a stay of execution.. Perhaps. '
(From Botis last game report)

Reply #298749 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Geez, i hate to sound ruthless, but for the sake of this season, i sure hope Devries is fired. We need an import combo with a killer blow in them, I suspect with Shannons quickness, we are half way there. The rumours of this Brown guy have been swirling, if they go down that path, we could be seeing a very succesful second half of the season!

Reply #298755 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I really like what he brings, he has range, is heady and is one of the only players on the teams that can create his own shot should he need to while the clock is running down. I guess it just depends on the severity of his injuries. As mentioned above, 2 weeks off i can live with, a month or more they need to look at their options.

Reply #298757 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Wow, looks like somebody has been waiting to catch you off your game there paul!

Reply #298762 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

This would be a mistake I think. With the right PG Devries could really shine. I would like to see him in a couple of games with Shannon before any decision was made.

Reply #298763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard this as more than a rumour from loose lips at the last game.

Reply #298766 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

The source of this rumor told me on friday nite that Winder was going to be sacked and that they already have found a replacement.

i'd say its a pretty reliable source.

Reply #298768 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Skud, I agree with you. Devries' deficiency until now could well be because of Winder as PG. Unless his injury is serious, it would be premature to release him now without seeing what he will bring to the team under a different PG.

Reply #298769 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

E, im assuming they plan on giving him a bit of a fighting chance though yeh? as others have said id want to see him with shannon first if he is good to play

Reply #298776 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I wonder if Winder hoisted his own petard.

That is , I wonder if Winder played reasonable and DeVries struggling with injury, would they have moved on Devries , Saturday.

Reply #298780 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yes, a little bit stalky!

But those quotes are what I thought Groves would bring once he got back to full swing from his injury - a part of the team system, solid defence, an extra ball handler, someone who could hit the open jump shot (40% threes last year at Dragons) and use his athleticism to create shots late in the shot clock was low.

Like I said, I got that wrong!

Back on topic, if the rumour is correct I guess the next thing is to find out who the replacement is. If you look at NZ, Wollongong, Perth and Cairns they have strong local talent and at least one of their imports is just a role player.

For teams like Sydney and Adelaide who dont have the local talent, they have to rely on two imports who can be very good players and that is tough to come by.

Reply #298781 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Its no longer rumoured its confirmed. in todays tiser its stating that Devries is on thin ice. its particularly in relation to his last 4 games where his rebounds assists and points have declined from his opening games. he is now on a different training regime as he has a hip/core injury. Clarke said they intend on getting him back to 100% and hope that his game form comes back with it too

Reply #298801 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, easy to pull someone up with the benefit of hindsight when they've been man enough to put their name to it and take that risk. Easy to find claims by almost anyone that look silly down the track - I thought the Hawks were going to be really poor last year as just one example, and thought Groves could've been good at one point too.

Reply #298816 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

I love an Anon quoting someone from 12 + months ago.
I'll quote some of Anon's less than brilliant statements over the last twelve months.....but there are so many, I wouldnt know where to start. :)

Reply #298826 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Check outside your window Paul.

Now under your bed....

...and in the backseat of your car.

Ever vigilant.

Reply #298861 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Long handled mirror for under the car too.

Reply #298866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stalking lol I've got a good memory and remembered him talking up Groves and continually making excuses for his play at the Dragons. I just pumped Cortez Groves into the search function here on the left and within 40 minutes, there you go.

I know some on here have vested interests so it doesn't surprise me to see the usual suspects fall into line behind paul. I don't know the guy personally, he might be a top bloke but one thing I hate whether in pro sport or politics are spinners. Professional PR shills designed to massage the messages and generate/manipulate the debate.

Spinners are always selling it's up to you if you want to buy it.

Reply #298912 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

You spent 40 minutes searching for Paul's comments?

Reply #298914 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Spinner versus anonymous hater cage fight!

Reply #298916 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's funny that some of the so-called 'haters’ think I spin because I don’t bag out the Sixers or the NBL.

I don’t get paid by BA or the NBL, what I write in my articles is my honest opinion. I have seen a lot of basketball in different countries and followed many players and I actually believe the NBL is a very good league by world standards and the current administration is doing a solid job! Incredible I know.

Reply #298919 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm a spinner, Paul's just an optimist!

Reply #298923 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

And I'm learning to be a cage fighter, so we've got it ALL covered.

Reply #298925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

paul, again more spin. Who says you "have" to bag out anything? The issue is you talking anything & everything up. As I've shown. It's got nothing to do with being "wrong" we all make predictions that pan out or not but yours are always overwhelmingly positive.

Why? It's your job. Yes, you might not get paid by the NBL or BA but you do get paid by FIBA. It's no coincidence you appeared on the scene around the time the NBL was taken over by BA which is under the umbrella of FIBA. I'm not interested in what you write in your articles that are put on the NBL's website, never read one of them never will. The issue is your spinning both on here and Oz Hoops.

Who said the NBL wasn't a good league or the admin were not doing a good job? Why the strawman arguments?

Reply #298929 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

First time you've encountered a happy person who sees the bright side? Never watched Andrew Gaze commentate with that endless grin?

I checked your posting history - you're like the polar opposite: almost everything you've posted is sour and bitching. Just a hater, or been wronged by someone in the past? Sometimes people would get a happier response by asking Daniel Eade about the change to 40 minutes.

I'm all for being realistic, but you're going beyond that.

Reply #298931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac,

You wouldn't have a clue about how positive I am about the NBL & the sport in general elsewhere. So don't presume you know what I'm all about throwing around childish crap like "hater". How in any way has paul wronged me? Read what I've written not what you think I've written.

I can't stand spinners.

Reply #298935 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Well then, I appreciate that you save your best for the readers here.

Reply #298939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah, just the spinners.

Reply #298940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Free to air tv, major sponsor, advertising this time around, great quality basketball. Things are looking up, while the A-League is starting a downward spiral.

Stop hatin' beyond the facts

Reply #298943 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Just for clarification of anyone who is still interested in this strange discussion, I am not an employee of FIBA (as nice as it would be to have basketball as my job), and the only time I have any obligation to them is in the 3 weeks surrounding tournaments when I contract my services to them.

So no, it is not my job to get on little known forums (sorry Isaac) and 'spin', and it is rather ludicrous to suggest an organisation that has less than 50 employees but still has to look after the world's second biggest sport, played in 213 countries, would pay someone to do so.

Reply #298969 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Isaac - what's this using my name in vain!!!

Reply #298976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone doesnt like you spinner!

Reply #298986 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

hasnt this thread spun out of control, pardon the pun. as previously said, only a thread on hoops could go from a discussion about devries, to sacking brad hill, to then bashing paul about his prediction in 2009/10 about how cortez would do, to who gets paid by who which is why they say what they say.

I love Hoops!

Reply #299010 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Spinner - and you're not much of a spinner in this context either! Confusion reigns.

Reply #299012 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:48 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754