Anon-e-mouse
Years ago

Training over Xmas?

What clubs continue to train over the summer holidays and to what extent? Would like feedback on whether this should be a time of rest or should it be the precursor to getting ready for the long basketball year ahead, Does having time off and not touching a ball for 6-7 weeks cause any issues when getting back into games?

Topic #24631 | Report this topic

Skud  
Years ago

Way back when we used to have a break, but I would play Bball so often with my mates in the front yard it never affected us anyway

Reply #301804 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

Don't forget that coaches are volunteers who give up valuable time for a sport they love. Many also have a family and feel that they owe them some time, espec at Xmas when many families get-together and/or go away. This is the only real break from 12 months of coaching.
I don't think many teams would re-commence training only a few days before the games start again, but more likely at least a couple of weeks out.
If you feel that you and your team will get 'rusty', perhaps talk to the coach about Starplex Carnival, or, as Skud mentioned, get some of your team together for 2 on 2 or something.

Reply #301806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some aba teams are training during the break but they players should also be helping themselves if they want to improve there fitness

Reply #301885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its up to you. if your committed enough to your game and doing well you will continue to train and work hard. gets hard though on the hot days, gotta get in early or later at night

Reply #301886 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Teams that regularly get beaten by 100 points or more SHOULD be training everyday of the holidays- concentrating on the basics like shooting and defending.

Other junior teams like Forrestville and Sturt should be taking a break because they have earnt it.

Reply #302099 | Report this post

Imnoballer  
Years ago

2 years ago my sons team got some new bottom age players - one parent was a personal trainer who got the boys to start training for fitness just after Xmas - by the Eltham tourny they were well ahead of their rivals and it showed.
last year his coach asked them to do it again but a few players declined, those that declined were well behind in fitness by season proper and ended up spending more time on the bench than the others who were fit.......

My personal opinion is that there is no off-season when you play Championship (Vic) or Div 1 because you want a Basketball future.

AFL is an example of pre-season training - those that do succeed, those that dont FAIL.

Reply #306858 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:04 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754