Isaac
Years ago

36ers development squad against State U20s

In a rare treat for Adelaide 36ers fans, some of the best young and up and coming talent will be on show in Sunday's curtain raiser.

Game commences at 2.35 pm so arrive early and you will have the opportunity to watch some young stars strut their stuff.

The 36ers squad will include Tom Daly, 7'4" Sam Harris, developing big man Jan Warbout together with a number of young ABL stars including North’s Josh Bond and Rhys Elliott, Norwoods Ben Howell, Forestville’s Trent Fildes and will be coached by Tracy York and Paul Arnott.

The inclusion of young Boomer squad member Hugh Greenwood, who has been in Adelaide training with the 36ers for the last 10 days gives this contest some added flavour.

The State under 20’s will be coached by Tony Casella and has an exciting balance of skill, size and athletic ability. The team comprises of Hadyn Barns and Jack Madgen from Eastern, Daniel Carlin from Centrals, Codey Ellison from Southern, Nathan Spehr and John Marriott from Sturt and Ryan Gardner, Peter Hooley, Lachlan Prest and Isaiah Omamogha from South Adelaide.

With the National under 20’s Championship just weeks away, expect a fierce contest between two very talented squads.

Be early, enjoy these future stars and get warmed up for the 36ers huge clash with reigning NBL champions the Perth Wildcats.

Doors open 2:30pm

U/20 Tip Off 2:35pm

36ers Tip Off 4:30pm

Topic #24786 | Report this topic

The Brad  
Years ago

Shaun Bruce will also be playing for the Sixers Development squad.

Reply #304529 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Where's Adam Doyle at???

Reply #304542 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Doyle not good enuff?!?!

Reply #304550 | Report this post

Phobos 46  
Years ago

Good luck Tony Casella - a true architect of the game.

Reply #304566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he wasnt much of an architect last year when 17 points up against victoria in the grand final at 3/4 time and managed to lose it by not calling a time out and settling his team down!!

Reply #304579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good work anon.

Where you even at the game?

The best coach in the world wouldn't have been able to get a win in that game under the conditions the SA team had to play under.

Reply #304600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah i was at the game, and blind freddy new that a time out when victoria got it back to 10 points might have been a good idea

Reply #304608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wasn't at the game so please enlighten me, what conditions were SA playing under that VIC wern't?

Reply #304612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA must have had a home court advantage

Victoria also had a real coach

Reply #304619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The umpires.

I've never got on the umpires....never, ever. But some of those fourth quarter calls were amazing.

Reply #304623 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I wasnt there but Coaches get too much pressure from 'other hierachy' at the wrong times........Just let them coach

Reply #304626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Victoria had three refs.

All these gutless wonders on here talking smack. I'd like to see you get a team 17 points up against that Victorian team in a final.

Reply #304633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the refs had nothing to do with it, any coach that blames the refs, did the refs make corey maynard lose it and get a tech foul at a crucial stage in the game i dont think so, that would have probably been an ideal time to call a time out and calm not only him, but the rest of the team down, and give some direction.... just my opinion

Reply #304637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

corey maynard got a tech foul? thats news to anyone who was actually at the game

Reply #304664 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

why is greenwood training with the sixers??

isnt he going to college? is he not expected there yet and wants to keep sharp? although i thought he was not from adelaide so that would seem weird, unless he kept in contact with marty maybe and asked him although ild be surprised if he couldnt do that in his hometown..

Reply #304669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

phil, he is from Tassie, cant really train with an nbl team there.

Reply #304671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon 4664 you obviously went to get an icecream at the 6 minute mark of the last quarter

Reply #304674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That wasn't a tech, but rather an unsportsmanlike after he got smacked and retaliated down the other end.

Reply #304675 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

phil, 36ers want to keep tabs on him, perhaps have him eventually play here, etc.

Reply #304676 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

ahhh tassie boy, he is off to college though right? heres hopeing if he does come home he comes and plays for the sixers.

Reply #304677 | Report this post

Nolan Harcourt  
Years ago

#304579 ....... you idiot.

A game has never, ever been won or lost on a coach calling or not calling a time out to break a run. Teams that think it can will lose a lot more than they win.

All a coach can do is instruct and motivate. Beyond that it is up to the players. And I am sure Casella wasn't telling his players to give up the lead.

Reply #304678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

greenwood is good mates with creek too, prob another reason to stay and train

Reply #304680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greenwood is going to College.. just training with the 6ers for the reasons above.. Except for "keeping tabs on him" he is a massive tallent - dont expect to see him play in the NBL after college, unless he gets homesick. Not saying he is better than the NBL.. well yeah I am.

Reply #304684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nolan Harcourt you obviously have never watched basketball at an elite level where coaches call time outs to stop opposition runs.

hate to have you as a coach

Reply #304685 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

yeah i was wondering how good greenwood is? are we talking he has the potential shot at end of draft or maybe making nba or more expected to be a solid euro guy or just a top nbl player?

obviously no crystal balls we are just going on potential here.

Reply #304686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mate, did you see all the no-calls before that Maynard unsports-man like? It was incredible. If someone could post the video it might shut you up.

What's the probelm anyway Anon, got cut from the team huh? Wasn't good enough to make and have a grudge?

Reply #304687 | Report this post

Nolan Harcourt  
Years ago

Reply #304685

I am not saying coaches don't do it, just that it doesn't work.

Your opinion of what a coach can do is inflated I am afraid.

Opposition runs are only broken by good defence and not turning over the ball. The timeout is irrelevant.

Reply #304688 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'687, a rival coach would be my guess.

Reply #304690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bruce is from victoria why is he playing

Reply #304765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

victoria 2010 under 20 mens champions! .. bad luck S.A all the calls in the world would not have won you that game

Reply #304832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You know you're doing something right when nobodies bag you on hoops.

'Jealousy and envy coming' from my enemies'- Tupac

Coach Casella obviously doing something right.

Reply #304834 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

After last night's performance, I think the Sixers should be playing the curtain raiser to this game!!!!

Reply #304835 | Report this post

Croweater  
Years ago

What are peoples prediction for tomorrow nights curtain raiser? And as stated above why is Shaun Bruce playing? Isn't it a Adelaide development group and his playing seabl in Victoria for ballarat. I don't mind that he is as will be good to see him play again. He was a solid junior for Vic country.

Reply #304924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably half the guys usually in the devlopment squad are playing for the state team so they need a few ring-ins.

Reply #304954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No state players in the '36ers Development Team (misnomer). You have 2 geniune ‘development players' one of whom is getting NBL court time and both of whom have been training 24/7 with the Sixers for several months. The rest are too old for the U20’s national comp and most have been on ABA playing lists for a couple of seasons - hardly sixers development players and certainly not state players (most of the state kids are only 18). Don’t know how the Vic gets to participate over other SA developing juniors like Doyle who would have loved the opp.

I hope there won’t be too much slagging if the state team struggles a bit. This is only their first or second scratch match and some of the kids are new to the nationals scene. It will, tho, be a great opp for them to match up with older, more seasoned players at a crucial stage of their preparation. Just don’t beat it up into something it's not!

Reply #304975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doyle has never achieved anything and while his mates on here love to talk him up he is too small and too limited to ever be more than a good Youth League player.

Hooley is actually in the extended 36ers squad but will be playing state so there is an Under 20 state player in the group.

What's the big issue with Bruce playing one practice game?

You guys seriously need to get a life.

Reply #304978 | Report this post

Jarred  
Years ago

sixers development team won by 15-20. Under 20 state team did well to keep it close I thought.

Reply #305133 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Who played well? I was hoping to get to the game and then got distracted at the Port Dock Brewery.

Reply #305269 | Report this post

U20s got to within 8 at one stage after being down 20 at 1/4 time. Spehr went off early with an ankle injury and Marriott was KO'd behind play in the 3rd. Hard to imagine an accidental elbow to the temple to a 207cm lad by someone much shorter!!!!

U20s did better than I had expected. Vics, don't sell us short yet for Maitland, this group is OK.

Reply #305280 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

considering no Carlin for the game if they get tuff and want it bad enough will do ok.

Reply #305283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"better than expected"

There was no contact at all on John Marriott. I'm pretty sure that the State coaches would of had a bit to say if there was.

Reply #305297 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754