The Situation
Years ago

Sixers fan throws beer can, hits 10 year old boy

"The club has issued a statement of apology to a 10-year-old Blaze fan struck by a can of beer thrown by a 36ers' supporter after Sunday's game.
"Our board is meeting later this week and will discuss the incident and if we will take any action."
The boy's father is expected to press charges.
The fan is believed to have travelled in a group to attend the game at Gold Coast."

Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if the beer can thrower was someone who posts here frequently, probably someone who complains about other teams fans too.

Topic #24964 | Report this topic

phil  
Years ago

sounds like the guy is a bit of a knob. pretty simple, but lets not blow this out of proportion like it was endangering life or something sinister. ( im assuming it was an empty can?).

Reply #308166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow phil,

A grown man hitting a 10 year old. No serious.

If the 36ers dont ban him then Im not taknig my kids to the games anymore thats for sure.

Reply #308169 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Situation, where's this taken from?

Not sure that you'd press charges unless the can was at least partly full? They were probably aiming at the 36ers...

The official 36ers road trip is in March so not sure who this group was?

Reply #308170 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

http://bit.ly/hVajSK

I'm sure the can was empty, but throwing someone at something is just gutless.

Reply #308172 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

(Mod: Unnecessary.)

Reply #308174 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Isaac this was on Boti's article which is on adelaide now. Sixers also want a please explain with the poor performance as of late from the sixers.

Beer can throwing is pretty pathetic no matter who did it. top notch maturity there from the situation. because he threw a can of beer he must be someone from this forum. you should be a cop!

Reply #308175 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Find out who it was and kick them out of the Dome.

Reply #308176 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Disgraceful beahviour, no matter what team you support.

The situation, whilst this topic is newsworthy, and will be a thread that has a lot of traffic, why would you troll and state that "I wouldn't be surprised if the beer can thrower was someone who posts here frequently, probably someone who complains about other teams fans too"?

Unless you actually saw the event, or it was you personally, why even go there??

Reply #308177 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Not only kick them out of The Dome but from any NBL facility for several years.

It doesnt matter if it was empty or full, it was throwing a projectile, which means Dad can press charges if he so wishes. The GC Convention Centre (if that was were they were playing) could have detained the guy and called cops if they wished as well.

Poor form, and the guy should be ashamed of himself on several levels.

Reply #308179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't see them taking any action - I was sitting right near the opposition tunnel when the Hodge incident happened and witness 2 people throw beer cans (not empty ones). The security gurads saw who did it and no action was taken.

I've also seen other incidents and while I saw someone ejected, they were back the next week.

Reply #308183 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

this is the kind of publicity the NBL does not need. they are trying to attract families, and if they want it to remain safe for families you need to kick this scum out.

Reply #308184 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

"I'm sure the can was empty, but throwing someone at something is just gutless."

Agreed, with the exception of midget tossing.

My brother once accidently fumbled a can from a corporate box into the stand below. The nice man it fell on below was kind enough to return it to him.

Throwing one intentionally is rather stupid, regardless of the intended target. Deserves a ban from the Dome.

Reply #308185 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

The reason why I said that is because in the past few weeks, anything that I've said about poor sportsmanship has been met with "oh well, I got spat on by a perth fan once but i suppose you condone that" or other spurious allegations about racism etc. You're right, I have no idea, but I thought thats the way this forum worked.

Reply #308186 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

i just hope they are NOT considering banning alcohol in the stands like they did at the footy. no point going to the game to have a beer in the bar and watching the game on the tv.

Reply #308188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its exactly how it works.

You make totally unreliable statements, and people let you know how dumb they are.

Everyone goes home happy.

Reply #308189 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

The only worse thing than having no beer is having mid-strength only. I'd rather go without.

Reply #308190 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

which stadium has this mid strength?? so i know where not to visit

Reply #308191 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I think they did for a year or two in Perth, when the Cats first went back to Challenge. Then they tried a new tactic - serving warm full strength of a brand that no one has ever heard of. Its only slightly better than mid.

Reply #308192 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

isnt this why cans and glass bottles aren't sold in stadiums anymore. not saying it is a bad incident but if the stadium is selling these items it was going to happen eventually.

Reply #308193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry but sums up a lot of supporters at the 6ers basketball now. Nothing like it use to be in the old days.

Reply #308194 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

I'm interested as to what constitutes an "Adelaide fan'.

Was he wearing a Sixers singlet? Was he barracking for the Sixers?

"The fan is believed to have travelled in a group to attend the game at Gold Coast". From where? Brisbane? or Findon?

To me the only way this story carries any weight is because the Sixers hierachy KNOW WHO IT IS.

"The board is going to meet....and discuss if we will take any action.'

You can't take action against someone you don't know.

They know who is, so it has to be simple, ban him from the Dome and wherever else they can.

Reply #308195 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

They def were a group of Sixers fans where from though who knows, I think there was 6 guys all up. 5 had Sixers singlets of varying vintages and 1 guys had a Crows guernsey. They were charging hard on the beers and from what I saw were vocal and getting into some banter with the crowd around them. They were noisy and getting right into it, good on them for that it adds atmosphere at the game, hell if you got told off for yelling out smart arsed remarks Id be in trouble every week.

At games end there was a scuffle with some Blaze fans, I didnt see what caused it but it didnt seem to bad, but if someone actually threw a can then thats clearly not on and some action needs to be taken.

Reply #308196 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Some people are just idiots

We went to a Sixers vs Townsville game at the dome. My wife follows Townsville and I follow Sixers. Townsville ended up winning the game by 1 point to which my wife was cheering. Suddenly we had a grown woman behind us kicking my wifes chair. I asked what the woman's problem was and almost got jumped by her boyfriend. Funny enough was the fact that as they were walking away they told us to go back to townsville. We live in Adelaide

Some people are just idiots

Reply #308199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I kicked her chair because she was ugly.
Go back to Townsvelle hippy!

Reply #308204 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

SOS may have been informed by the Blaze/venue security as to who did it.

Reply #308205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Horrible thing to happen, was the boy injured? Ban the guy for life.

Reply #308211 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I'd be more than happy if this person was banned for life. It is a family event and this sort of rubbish might just keep some people away. It also bring cause for alcohol to be banned at sporting events which would truly SUCK!!!

Reply #308213 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Attending an Adelaide United game for the first time on Friday night after 18 odd years as a Sixer season ticket holder was an eye-opener.

Cops and security had to separate rival fans who were throwing flairs, coins and full bottles at each other :S

Reply #308221 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

throwing coins?? sounds like a good place to find money for a free beer

Reply #308229 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

"The boys father is expecting to press changes...."

Since when can he do that? He can't press changes. Has the matter even been bought to the attention of the police????

Bogan effort, but I'm smelling a storm and tea cup event...

Reply #308231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good to hear some fans getting into the game.. unfortunate it resulted how it did though.. hope the kid is okay

Reply #308233 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

Terrible thing to happen. Totally agree, if they know who threw the can, ban the person from the Dome. On the other hand, The Situation sounds like they have a major chip on their shoulder re the 36ers and the people on this forum. Whilst I'm not advocating some of the things that a few people write, it is a 36ers forum. If you don't like what some people write, don't read it! Otherwise, quit painting all 36er fans with the same bogan brush!

Reply #308237 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm waiting for "Wildcats player throws basketball at 29 year old man's face."

Reply #308238 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

@quasi

I've already explained why I said it, and I haven't said anything about "all 36ers fans", or even the 36ers. Not sure why you even said that.

Reply #308239 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

not condoning the throwing of the can at all but i was at the game and bumped into a few of these guys before the match, (dont know them at all!) just for the record seemed like great bunch of guys who really did add to the atmosphere of a game!! good to see them supporting the sixers like that at an away game!! (i think they were persoanlly reposnible for a few missed GC free throws!!) maybe one or two of them just had too much to drink and did a silly thing, i am sure there was no malice intended!!

like i said i was there and i agree that they were probably trying to hit the sixers players with a can if anything!! ha!!

Reply #308241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they were probably just like the sixers and missed there target. highly doubt any person would hit a 10 year old kid on purpose

Reply #308242 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Unfortunately, things like this happen from time to time and sort of incident is ugly. Let's hope it is not the start of something.

Have we confirmed that it was a beer can? Not a softdrink can, or plastic bottle?
It actually shows that the stadium managers have not undertaken a proper risk assessment. There is a reason why beer at the Dome is poured into a cup. How intoxicated were these spectators? Should they have been served beer?

I would also question the actions of the security staff not after the incident, but leading up to the incident. Good security staff sniff out potential trouble and take action prior to it getting out of hand. Were there any warning signs prior to the incident? What was the ratio of staff to patrons? Were they evenly and strategically spread around the arena?

It sounds like the boy is not injured, which is fortunate, but he has a story to tell in the playground this week.

Reply #308246 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Slightly unrelated but strewth, Gold Coast threw a big can of beer at us during the game. Strewth, it was awful to watch.

Lucky they didn't throw it at my kid .....

If Sixers know who it is, they should act and act hard. Pretty low act.

Reply #308256 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, Blaze venue security should have been more pro active in confiscating cans whether full or empty. They are not safe in a crowd and alcohol sold should only be in plastic cups. Prevention is better than cure.

Reply #308259 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

I was there on sunday sitting behind the group of 6er fans in question. They were actually really getting into the game which was good to see as usually it's just our fans and nobody else.
There was a GC fan sitting closer to the court yelling back to the 6er fans all through the game and the banter was heated but harmless.
(I didn't see anything get thrown though)
However, after the game I saw some old guy come charging up the stairs abusing a guy in a 6er top about something (must have been about the throwing of said beer can)
He must have been having a crack at the wrong guy though coz this 6er fan was just yelling back at the old guy saying "I don't know what you're on about, check the fkng security tapes". A couple of 6er fans came bolting over saying "sorry mate" to the old bloke who was still going off his head at a few of the other 6er fans. I have no idea who did it.
My mate and I just watched on as heaps of security and GC/6er fans came rushing over.
Good to see some passion back into the game apart from the obvious 'Situation'.
Although I don't think anyone should throw anything at anyone at sporting events, I agree that it was probably not intended for the 10 year old kid to get hit - you're right he was probably aiming for the 36ers players and missed!
Anyway, glad we smashed them and have knocked them out of the finals race.

Reply #308269 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I only mentioned full/empty because a few of us were trying to guess. I have assumed that cans were served by bars at the game in which case security wouldn't really be confiscating them.

Reply #308272 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

No security wouldn't confiscate them if they are sold at the bar. If that is the case, Blaze club will need to review what they sell in their venue. Its not making excuses for poor behaviour of fans but so many venues have seen the danger in them so why would the Blaze be any different. I don't buy alcohol at these venues but I have never seen a beer can at the Dome. At some venues where I have bought water, they actually give you the bottle without the cap.

Reply #308274 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

Well I regularly buy a can of JB Cola and this does not get poured into a plastic cup. And yes that is at the Dome. But then I do not throw it!!!!!

Reply #308283 | Report this post

Blazefan  
Years ago

Interesting that there has been no mention of this on the Gold Coast side of things.

I thought there were two groups of Sixers fans sitting in separate 'boxed' areas along the same row. The reason I say 'boxed' is that they are normal seats with a narrow wooden bench in front to place your drinks on.

Like other posters have already said, I had no problem with these guys at all and noted they were still supporting the Sixers, right up to the final buzzer.

While Statman might know this better than me, you can buy cans in the lower circle from the bars inside the exit doors. At all other bars outside the exit doors you have to transfer your canned stuff into plastic cups before you can come back in.

While obviously an isolated incident, Blaze and/or GCCEC management may now have to stop this arrangement. You could be sure that Trilby Missos and the like would be queuing up for some work if this happened again.

Reply #308294 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

The sixers fans in question had bought tickets in the corporate area - this us how they got cans rather than plastic cups of beer

Reply #308297 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

The bloke is a Sixers' season ticket holder so obviously comes from here.
Board know exactly who he is as the trip was arranged through the club.

Reply #308304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The sixers had nothing to do with the group and the person involved has contacted the club, his fate is to be decided by the board and the police.

I'm sure the guy knows he is stupid

Reply #308305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This season ticket holder should be banned from the Dome and other NBL venues.

Reply #308311 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If he has come forward and some lenience is warranted (*if*), have him sit out the season and do some sort of community/charity service like clean out the Pump Room or assist Dan Hughes in patrolling the Dome looking for anyone who might be happy.

Reply #308313 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Have him sit out the season? I thought you wanted him punished...

Reply #308317 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

The Sixers had a lot to do with this group.

Reply #308318 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Sit out the season AND patrol the Dome?
I know you're making a joke Isaac but I get the feeling you don't go on regular outings with kids.

Reply #308322 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, I don't go on regular outings with kids. But I do drink my beer out of a cup at the Dome.

I've revised the punishment: go to the remaining home games (Situation is correct - that's much worse), and have to patrol the Dome with Dan Hughes. And eat a Dome hot dog.

Reply #308333 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dunkin' Dan on OzHoops:

The Perth fans on Friday were the target of a couple of empty plastic cups thrown by some tard near the back, one of which bounced harmlessly into the group, with the other falling well short and landing in a family of Kings fans. That sort of stuff barely registers, but I guess it also vindicates the stadium policies of not allowing bottles inside.
It's an epidemic!

Reply #308343 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Did the 10 year old get hurt? This seems to be an irrelevant point.

Reply #308436 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

A life ban... Are people freaking serious.. People murder and rape others and rarely get a life ban from society and you're callin for this bloke to never attend a game of basketball at the Adelaide Areana/Dome ever again..

Dumb arse pegged a can that may or not may have struck a 10 year old, that's it. It was an act of stupidity that's it.

Make him hand in his season ticket for the rest of the season and that's about it...

Out of interest sake, how do people propose the life ban be enforced???

Reply #308540 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not many games left this season. I'd go for the community service angle - get the guy to do something useful like collecting for charity at the games, volunteering himself out to a charity, etc.

Reply #308570 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

How do they enforce that??? He could just turn around and tell them to shove it. The club has no authority to make him do anything.

The best the club could do is to terminate his season membership for the rest of the season and if they want to be harsh, make it a permanent ban.

What would happen if he mate bought him a ticket to attend a game???

Reply #308624 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think he has contacted them about it (just going on what someone else has mentioned) and might do that voluntary as a regretful penalty.

Reply #308625 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:12 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754