Isaac
Years ago

36ers vs Tigers, Feb 18

The Tigers got called out a couple of weeks ago, responded by showing up the Hawks and then really taking it to NZ for three quarters.

Adelaide were outgunned by the Blaze who could seemingly do no wrong and the club called for more intensity from the team. Going by Murray Magpie's account on the team site (yes, the mascot is writing training reports!), the team have focussed on defensive intensity at training this week.

Centrebet do favour Adelaide despite last weekend's result and have them paying $1.40. Melbourne are at $2.95. The line for the home side is -5.5.

Nevill did all the damage for Melbourne when Adelaide last struggled on the road against the Tigers and is no longer with the team. Tigers bigs are reduced to ex-36er Burston, Helliwell and PF Tragardh. PG Homicide looked to me to be playing at another level in the last two games so will be a handful if he maintains that.

I think Adelaide match up pretty well in the front court here. The Ballinger-Burston battle should be key.

Bruce is expected to play, AFAIK, meaning that the 36ers have quite the array of guards at their disposal.

Your tip?

Topic #24985 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

This is an interesting one. I think it depends which Tigers team turns up. Either Tigers will be slow and sluggish and we will beat them by 15 or otherwise it will be anyones game. Tigers are rejuvenated so I expect this one to be a close game.

Nevill did all the damage last time but Tragardh can do the same thing as he showed in his last game scoring 35.

Ill say Tigers by 5 (In the hope of using reverse psychology)

Reply #308481 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Tigers should win.

We will play small ball, get smashed on the boards and rotate our whole squad before the first quarter is up.

You don't lose like the 36ers did on the weekend without something going on within the inner sanctum.

Bring on next season..........

Reply #308483 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Trigger is easier to defend than Nevill was. We've seen the Sixers shut down the likes of Homicide, Trigger and Corletto etc. before; but now they're playing on the same team.

Tigers have decent perimeter shooters and will rely on Williams to collapse the defence to score big.

Should be a close one. I'm gonna say Tigers by 6 in the assumption this hexes them.

Reply #308484 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

anyone v Sixers.

Bring on next season....

Reply #308486 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Nice write up Isaac.

Both teams are playing for pride. Sixers season is over and the Tiggers have spun their wheels like a Sandman at Christies Beach on a Saturday night. They have the height and we have youth.

Reckon the key to winning may lie with DJ. Get him into the action early. I hope that Marty has been given him a spoonful of cement each morning. He needs to grab that feather the Tiggers will be using to knock him over and use it to knock over Burston, then Nevill.

Reply #308493 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I had serious optimism for a strong finish after the 2 perth games....now 2 games later I can't see us beating the Tigers even on our home court. Tigers by 5.

Reply #308496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep up Jack - Nevill doesn't play for Melb. anymore...

Reply #308497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last year DJ (Melb) started on Burston (Adel) and DJ dominated Burston who seemed to have no answer for him defensively.

Going on that I think it would be worthwhile taking the gamble and starting DJ on Burston this week and moving Balls to the 4 to guard Trigger.

I know this is an unlikely move but the whole small ball thing isnt working and the team needs to shake up its starting 5......throw some caution into the wind!

I'd even go so far as to bench both imports and start Creek and Daly.....but that could be pushing it?!

Reply #308499 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

Looking forward to watching Lucas Walker go at it with Brad Hill, should be a bit of showtime.

This match is a flip of the coin.

I'm gonna say the tigers in O.T!

Reply #308502 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Tigers will kill us IMO.

Reply #308505 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Out of all the games this is the one where Johnson should start.

Tigers Start with Burston, Tragardh, Greer, Corletto and Williams.

So why not try going with Johnson, Ballinger, Holmes, Hill and Shannon. Greer doesn't shoot many 3's so Holmes wouldn't have to be too concerned with that and inside he will be able to match him as well as provide extra defense. Hill will be able to drive at will on Corletto. The shot blocking ability of Johnson and Ballinger will help contain Williams penetration.

However, knowing Clarke and his lack of initiative/stubbornness he will go with the same starting 5 that continues to fail.

Reply #308508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cant see a win, tigers by 15-20 unless balls takes 20 plus shots

Reply #308511 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I think the Tigers will take this based on Williams and Triggers current form.

Reply #308513 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Adelaide will romp through, just to tease the fans about what could have been.

Reply #308517 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

497, See, DJ's feather has worked already!

Reply #308518 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Tigers should smash the 6ers. They have height already seemed better coached, are more desperate and play with passion. Adelaide are unwatchable.

Reply #308538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers by 13

Reply #308549 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Johnson, Creek, Daly, Dowdell and Bruce to start. This season has already gone to the dogs, what can you lose now. Time to be radical and experiment. See what the results might have been if only Clarke had been a bit more flexible with his starters. Bring on next season? Why? I haven't seen any evidence that its going to be any different.

Reply #308550 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Wow, wasn't expecting much optimism in this thread, but just reading it could drive a person to anti-depressives. Glass entirely empty people?

I expect the Sixers to be competitive in this one at home (where they have a winning record and have shown something most games) against a Tigers team that is still finding its feet. I am predicting a last second bucket to the Tigers will rim out, Sixers for the narrowest of escapes.

Reply #308562 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

If the Tigers hit their jumpshots they should take this one, but who on that squad can hit a J?

Sixers should take this one, play with some passion and pride and the rest should fall in place.

Good chance to give DJ some decent minutes alongside Ballinger (I know it's been tried before, but if it's the long term plan they are going to have to work it out!).

Considering this season is done a good chance to try alot of different lineups and pump some minutes into the future - Creek, Daly, DJ etc.

Reply #308567 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Tigers to win by 5. Just can't see Adelaide digging themselves out of the hole they are in at the present time.

Reply #308573 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

XY, the glass has been empty for a long time. About the same amount of time the 6ers stopped turning up physically and mentally switched on for EVERY game not just the home ones. A win tonight, and the 6ers in a way actually have more to be ashamed about and even more questions to answer too.

Reply #308579 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Kinda hard to get excited about a game with zero consequences - we're just playing out the season trying to avoid a bomb shelter repeat.

Pre game food upstairs is good though.

Reply #308580 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe not exciting, but might be interesting at least to see the starting lineup mixed up for the hell of it. Howard and Holmes off the bench. Try Shannon, Hill, Creek, Ballinger, Johnson and see what happens.

Reply #308584 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I've stopped holding my breath for a starting line-up change. Would be nice.

I'd be genuinely interested to hear Marty's reason for resisting the push to have DJ start. I know we've mentioned the 'bleeding points on D allongside Balls' bit in here.

Note to self: Never use the words bleeding and balls in the same sentence again ever. Awkward.

Reply #308586 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I'm predicting the Sixers to get over the line in this one, why? Because they are at home and it isnt televised.

I think Marty has the potential to be a very good coach but I too am dumbfounded at his reluctance to shake things up with the starting 5? It's obvious it hasnt worked, yet he has stuck with it - confusing really, but maybe he feels although it isnt good enough, it is the best and most competitive we have for this year?

I'd like to see Bruce, Carter or Daly start at the point. I think Shannon holds on to the ball too long and really given those 3 mentioned, Shannon really shouldnt be in the 6ers plans for next year so why not hand over the reigns now?

Reply #308589 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Loco, I could only take a wild stab and guess he may have done something like "Make a starting 5, rotate the players and see who wants to fight for a spot".

Would certainly motivate players to get up and do more if that's the case.

The lineup theorised earlier (Carter, Hill, Creek, Ballinger, Johnson) could be a very likely lineup next year considering the improvement they've all seemed to have.

Although DJ hasn't done all that much in the time given. He's got the talent and the skillset, just the application of it isn't working.

Reply #308590 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Agreed. I'd be looking ahead to the Aussie nucleus we're going to build around next year and see how they go as a unit for the rest of this season.

As much as I enjoy Shannon and Howard when they're on, why not experiment with the core of next year's starting five Aussies as mentioned - might indentify the gaps we'd need to plug in terms of next year's imports.

Or skip that and just start looking for gigantic, bruising, high intensity, defense and rebound focussed, block machine, Dwight Howard-framed immports now.

Reply #308592 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Loco, I'd like to hear it from him too, but surely the suggested reason is realistic enough?

Tornado, "It's obvious it hasnt worked, yet he has stuck with it" - it has won them almost half their games and the roster was rated as a 5-7th kinda team in the pre-season. Hasn't worked brilliantly, sure, but it has worked at times.

Big Marty, bit unfair on DJ who's been limited by MPG. Ballinger's points per minute is 0.55 while Johnson's has been 0.47. Second highest active scorer on the team (Shannon) is 0.36.

36ers players (sans two orig imports) ranked by PPM:

Ballinger 0.556441609
Ng 0.505599104
Johnson 0.474844545
Bruce 0.465484484
Howard 0.427250037
Hill 0.422056921
Dowdell 0.411494411
Shannon 0.364934507
Daly 0.357346179
Creek 0.354708448
Carter 0.290432646
Holmes 0.217762596

Reply #308593 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Isaac, that is all well and good to 9 decimal places, but to properly compare can you extend it out to 12 decimal places?

Reply #308595 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Was more effort to restrict it to fewer decimal places in Excel than just leave it!

Reply #308596 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Time for Clark to work out who he wants for next year and give good opportunties those a decision has to be made on.
Especially with guards and guard small forward types we are full of .
Could we get away with as PG - Bruce , Carter and Daly and save on a import in that possie.next season
Lets have a try .
Let Shannon sit on bench and hold a ball.
DJ has been dsissapointment for me. Start him lets see if can do more with more minutes and belief in.
I would not keep Dowdell if thinking will give lot more court time .
Team looks too structured as shown by Howard in 1st game where cut the basket and scored now sits and waits for open shots which he cant hit
On a note how many air balls have we shot this year has to be a record

Reply #308603 | Report this post

dave-blocknorth  
Years ago

AS much I depend on a win at home against any opposing tea, I just dont think it will happen against Melbourne.
You look at what D-Mac said the other week to his players that, 'you are all playing for your spots next season' and words like that mean, either you play hard or get cut. So I think Melbourne will play hard and mean business.
The only flip side to this game for us, is that its a home game, and with that, sometimes we control the tempo.
With Adelaide United on at Hindmarsh, I expect a poor crowd and also with wet weather being forecast, most wont want to venture out of thr cold and wet.

Tigers by 7.

Reply #308610 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Isaac, I'm not trying to be unfair to DJ at all; but unfortunately a point per minute stat doesn't answer to someone's play as a whole.

He can score 2.5 for all I care, but being a centre of a certain height, I would expect a rebound value of 0.8 or something from him to match with it.

There are pro athletes who play just as many minutes who can rack up 10-12 points or grab 7-10 rebounds.

If his stats are good enough to warrant starting, I can only assume Clark wants the most experienced players starting and despite whether we like it or not, the most experience on the team is collectively starting for us.

Reply #308611 | Report this post

dave-blocknorth  
Years ago

I like EC's thinking on starting the 2nd unit for this game. I agree totally, our back-court does little at times, is good at wasting time with just holding the ball with no movement when another player is open, so why not throw up a challenge.
Its not like we are finals bound like NZ!

Reply #308612 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Isaac - I'm not sure I entirely agree, but it's probably a valid point. With the season a write off now though, perhaps it's time to log some more experience for DJ.

Reply #308613 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Isaac, whilst it has won them half of their games you cant tell me it has been successful? Success I would have thought meant they were playing finals? Plus, most of their wins have been at home where surely they are more comfortable and the crowd is a big factor. The only win they have on the road was by a point and against an injury riddled Perth.

You look at the teams that have dominated us and they all have a significant Center, Schenscher, Neville, Khazzouh etc.

We have faired better against the teams with smaller line ups so that only suggests to me that Clarke isnt getting his match ups right when playing against these taller teams?

But he obviously feels Balls at Center and so forth is his best starting line up?!

Add to that, the post where you state DJ is our second best scorer per minutes played and you have to wonder, we're not great defensively anyway so why not put your best offensive team on the court and see if you can outscore the opposition?

I wasnt criticising Clarke as such...I was just pointing out that I was a little unsure as to why he hasnt tried other options more?

From what I have seen though I like Clarke and trust in his plan and I am sure this season was a teething season and he and the team will be better for it next season but to say this has been a successful campaign is another story.

Reply #308616 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't worry, I'd also be trying different line-ups and think they've had a mediocre and frustrating season too. Was just commenting on your "obvious it hasn't worked" bit - maybe it's worked just enough that he doesn't want to mess with it. He's not the only coach to look for consistency with his starting lineup.

Reply #308621 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Ugh. These two teams deserve each other.

Reply #308631 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

most embarrassed i've been all year. Defence pathetic. why would we STOP running the press as soon as the leagueks worst ball handler (qaafow) comes on? f###ing genius! Ron Howard just acted like a soccer player going down with a fake ankle injury so the crowd would forgive him for missing a wild layup rather than passing for an easy two.

On the plus side, melbourne are shocking at both ends so once we come good wekll smash em.

Reply #308632 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Where's Howard?

Reply #308633 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

How was that not a tech on Burston????????!!!!!???? Disgusting refereeing. I shouldnkt be suprised I guess.

Reply #308634 | Report this post

dougys  
Years ago

These imports are quality

Eddie Shannon GRD 17:12 1/6
Ron Howard GRD 03:47 0/1

Reply #308638 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Didn't need to be a tech imo, Holmes started it already. It was just argy bargy and hot air.

Reply #308639 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Anyway, not already

Reply #308640 | Report this post

Your mumma  
Years ago

What happened

Reply #308641 | Report this post

Dougys  
Years ago

There shizen thats whats happened

Reply #308642 | Report this post

Dougys  
Years ago

Eddie shannon is just as rubbish as Howard. 3 assists for the game then trys to shoot the winner as cold as ice

Reply #308643 | Report this post

Dougys  
Years ago

Why the hell are the sixers shooting threes at the end of the game when we are infront. they are just completely clueless (just ignore the rants of a frustrated fan)

Reply #308644 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Sadly saw this coming $$$ were on the Tigers, surprised Adelaide even had a lead going into the fourth. Massive offseason changes HAVE to happen.

Reply #308645 | Report this post

lol  
Years ago

Cut both imports and run with Carter, Bruce and Daly. Give Warbout a run to replace a vacancy

Reply #308646 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Cant score 2 points in 5 minutes of the fourth and expect to win

Reply #308647 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

I have hardly said a negative word about Marty Clarke all year, but that was the 2nd most inexplicably pathetic coaching performance Ikve seen this season.

Team defence was disgraceful all game with no communication and no adjustments.

Offence in overtime was stagnant with no alternative sets. Those plays looked like they were designed for 5-vs-0 training. When you insert defence they donkt know what to do.

But most of all, the decision to run Daniel f##king Johnson in the clutch instead of a proven clutch performer in Jacob Holmes. It cost us the game. Plain and simple.

Officially on the borderline with Marty Clarke.

Ikd like to retract what I said about Howard, evidently the injury was legitimate. Couldkve fooled me :/

Reply #308650 | Report this post

Dief  
Years ago

Unfortunately, a very poor coaching performance has cost us another game.
Why was not Hill playing at the end? Bruce cannot control himself to go for a reckless play and turn it over - again. He must have had 6 turnovers all by himself.
Holmes should have been on at the end.
Creek, while a player of the future, is taking far too many minutes away from Hill.
I hope Marty Clarke views the game with a view to the poor coaching selections made at clutch times.
One glaring omission in the team is a strong, mobile tall. We should be able to trade in about four guards and get the last piece to the puzzle - a large, strong, mobile centre. All other teams have one and it 'kills' us every game.
Ballinger is playing valiantly in the position which does not help the team.
Very disappointing

Reply #308653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the sixers and crows swapped lists both teams might improve

Reply #308655 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Evidently I have to press the shift key to get an apostrophe instead of a 'k' on my phone. My bad.

Refs: One of their top 5 worst performances at The Dome this year. Congrats. The Burston tech was one of the most blatant calls they'll get all year. It was a tech, if only for the sake of consistency. Although they're not consistent with anything else, so why would they be consistent with this? That's consistent. They're consistently inconsistent.

(*for the few muppets out there who can never tell the difference, I am not blaming them for the loss. They were pathetic, I never said they were biased.)

DJ: Offence 7/10. Defence 2/10. It's not his fault that he was put in for the clutch minutes, but damn, step up! Height does not = defence, Marty.

Balls: Not a good way to prove the doubters of the last week wrong. He was fantastic for the most part but had a few shocking defensive lapses at the end.

Hill: Solid production in a few minutes. Was a victim of good form from Carter/Bruce/Creek.

Carter: Very good one-on-one D and offensive production. His D has been slipping badly so it was good to see him step up. But again, zero communication with Bruce/Eddie on the pick. So many errant switches.

Shannon: Definitely leaning towards the "new import" side after that one. Showed leadership, but that doesn't mean much when you can't score, or provide anything of value at either end.

Holmes: Not a great game by any means, but he had to be in there in the clutch. I have no doubt we would have won. We were more desperate for his defensive intelligence than DJ's empty height.

Creek: Had some brilliant little spurts and his transition game was excellent. Just went missing at other times. Defensively great as always and had some very athletic boards.

Dowdell: Cut.

Bruce: Unexpectedly, his defence on Homicide was very, very good, and he was rewarded with big minutes. He ran the offence better than Shannon too despite not scoring big.

Burston is an absolute wanker, and a dirty one at that. But he was unstoppable tonight, albeit at one end. He won the game, we had no answer.

So incredibly frustrated. Good timing, footy season.

Reply #308656 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Id be surprised if Marty completes his entire contract. If this happens again next season, either he wont show up for season 3 or the fans wont....

Lets not forget just how bad the Tigers are this season, yet theyve beaten us twice in close sucession. Marty and Radford, both have been less than inspirational.

Reply #308658 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

hah gold point by anon. However sixers have only 10 and crows have alot more

Reply #308659 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

We had an answer to Burston X, number 45 for the Townsville Crocs.

Reply #308661 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Lol I missed tonights game and when I found out it went into overtime I was well annoyed, from these posts it wasnt a game worth seeing anyway lol..

So not having seen the game Im going purely on stats but Big Marty's "Although DJ hasn't done all that much in the time given. He's got the talent and the skillset, just the application of it isn't working. "
I assume your talking about DJ's habit of doing his stupid little fade away 1 handed shots, or his bad hookshots!
DJ REALLY annoys me when he does these, cause when he doesnt, and he steps forwards to the basket instead he usually scores!

Reply #308664 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Personally I thought it was Howard's best game.

Reply #308665 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Short term pain, long term gain, short term pain, long term gain,Short term pain, long term gain, short term pain, long term gain,Short term pain, long term gain, short term pain, long term gain,Short term pain, long term gain, short term pain, long term gain,Short term pain, long term gain, short term pain, long term gain,Short term pain, long term gain, short term pain, long term gain,Short term pain, long term gain, short term pain, long term gain,Short term pain, long term gain, short term pain, long term gain,Short term pain, long term gain, short term pain, long term gain.

Oh f@#k it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #308666 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"We had an answer to Burston X, number 45 for the Townsville Crocs."

Are you saying we should have signed Schenscher?

FWIW I have never disagreed with you that we should have signed a true starting centre, just that the problem is effort, not height, and there are other successful teams with the same physical structure.

Reply #308667 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

BTW Fiz, the club didn't post any Facebook updates tonight :D

Reply #308669 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Was Brad Hill injured tonight, because he was played an excellent first half and then dissapeared.
Had he seen court time in the second half we probably would have won.
Mitch Creek is definately taking Hills court time and if Clark wants it that way he better take Creeks leash off.
If Brad Hill wasnt injured he should be furious.

Marty has promise but struggles to get the right players on in a clutch. Actually his player selection has been a weak point all season.

I havnt been to a training session but I suspect he is over structuring. A good way for very talented players to become mediocre.

Coaching is not coaching, theres a big difference with the seniors. Flexability and creativity important.

I would love to see much more individual creativity mixed in with the controlled plays.

Very angry and extremely dissapointed tonight as we really gave the game away from the bench.

Reply #308670 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Was Brad Hill injured tonight, because he was played an excellent first half and then dissapeared.
Had he seen court time in the second half we probably would have won.
Mitch Creek is definately taking Hills court time and if Clark wants it that way he better take Creeks leash off.
If Brad Hill wasnt injured he should be furious."

He came on at the end for one of our PGs so I guess he was healthy.

Reply #308672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad Hill wasnt injured just martys rotations

Reply #308673 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

We need Boti to interview Clark one on one and ask the tough questions...............

If I was SOS I would be getting a Please Explain.

Is there anyone close to the team that can comment if there are any divisions or internal problems. I heard on this site players were pretty unhappy when DeVries was cut.

Reply #308674 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Yes im saying we should have signed Schenscher, not sure about your facebook joke? Anyways the season is a joke the 6ers have no one to blame but themselves. I have no sympathy left for them as an organisation or team, they flat out stink.

Reply #308675 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Devries was the real deal and he should not have been cut in my opinion.

Too individual perhaps but a genuine talent.

Reply #308676 | Report this post

dave-blocknorth  
Years ago

1st unit, well they sucked big time. Last quarter, up by a good amount thanks largely to 2nd unit for some awesome work inside and slick ball movement. Then suddenly, no one wanted to take a shot.
Aaron Bruce got hounded by one lady in my block on several occasions, yet at least he drove the ball to the net. Where was DJ half the time in the last? Standing at the free throw line!
Matt Burston should have been teched for sure, but soft reffing always happens when McDonald is in the game.
Shannon, maybe its time for a Mike Chappell test with routine blood tests etc. You are woeful. Ron Howard, the name is legendary, but you arent. Ridiculous drive one on one and what a dud shot.
Brad Hill, sweet on 3's for the first half, then only when down by 3 with 6 seconds left in o/t, we bring him on. What is Marty thinking?

Keep the second unit, ditch some of the first unit because are waste of time dealing with them. No imports next year period!!!!!

Disappointed big time because 2nd unit really worked hard only to be let down by inept thinking and ball movement in last from First Unit.

Love to see a replay of this game if there ever was, which there isnt.

Xztatik, agree totally on your tech call. But when guys like McDonald ref, they think they own the court. If they ref hard in local league matches, surely the same applies to NBL. This isnt an amateur sport refs!

Reply #308677 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Maybe so, but he did have a genuine injury, and had to go. In general though im just not sure how well imports can play under Clarke. He offers no freedom whatsover and from a few sources ive heard how he wants 'puppets' that he can control completely. So no room for an import with flair or a Vet with an opinion. The future doesnt look bright for the 6ers, would have to be very optimistic to think so at this stage.

Reply #308679 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"But most of all, the decision to run Daniel f##king Johnson in the clutch instead of a proven clutch performer in Jacob Holmes. It cost us the game. Plain and simple."

Are you serious Jacob Holmes a clutch perfomer when did this happen? The same holmes that went 1 from 5 today including an uncontested shot from about 5 feet away that he missed. Be Fair xztatik, If DJ cost us the game in OT, then Holmes cost us the game in the 4th playing almost the whole quarter (9 minutes 30 seconds) for no impact. Adelaide gets out scored in that quarter 22-10!!

The person who stuffed this up was Clarke. I was almost going to be positive towards him as after 20 games (not to mention a $100K+ salary) he finally worked out that it is not beneficial to sub players off every 2 minutes as this game played players for more consecutive minutes. HOWEVER, he then showed he has no idea at all. In the 3rd quarter DJ came on with 5 minutes to go and sixers up by 2 and they ended the quarter up by 12. DJ getting 7 points during those minutes. GREAT!!

BUT THEN in the last quarter he plays DJ for the first 2 minutes. Then he decides he will just protect the league like a weak coach would do instead of sustain the lead. So he keeps the leadering scoring Johnson with 16 going into the last quarter out of the game until the last 35 seconds of the 4th quarter. We should have won that game in the first 5 minutes of the 4th by having good offensive players out there. If we have Holmes on as well for defense thats fine but dont go negative by just going defensive!!! Clarkes pathetic coaching resulted in us losing the quarter 22-10 and ultimately the game. Out of those 22 points the tigers bigs Tragardh, Burston and Greer had 18 of those points!!

Then as others have said Holmes should have had a few minutes in the over time!

What did people expect of DJ in OT. The coach has had no confidence in him this whole season and barely played him, then he expects him after basically sitting him for 8 minutes in the last quarter to peform in OT! If the coach could actually do his job properly and had given DJ decent time and confidence throughout the season he would have done much better in OT.

An embarrassing effort by Clarke once again cost us the game!

Reply #308683 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Predicted at the start of the third whilst up by 8 it'd go to overtime and we'd lose.

Admittedly, I said Homicide would kill us, but still disappointed at how predictably pathetic we've become.

Reply #308685 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

DJ has really stepped up in my eyes these last few games, ive always been a fan of his quickness and ball handling for a big guy. He can take ANY C off the dribble an get his shot up.

I really think he has to be started now he's shown he can be a good option in the offense, why he didnt get many mins in the 4th blows my mind.

If it wasnt for his dumb pass in OT there would be nothing but praises for him, yeah its a bonehead play but what can ya do.

Reply #308686 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I'm going to formulate an open letter to Marty with the Hoops poster's help.

I'm keen to hear a response.

Reply #308687 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I was confused by a decision in the fourth quater and perhaps it might be clarified on this site.

Matt Burston picked up his fourth personal foul at the 4.38 minute mark of the fourth. About a minute later (but was actually 5-6 minutes later due to all the court wipeing) Jacob Holmes took a defensive rebound and appeared to be fouled by Burston. Burston was clearly disappointed with himself and some of the crowd started waving goodbye. I thought you beauty, that's his fifth foul. Burston stayed on the court, the sixers got the ball from the side line and play resumed with Burston still on the court.

So why did the refeere stop play? I assumed it was because Burston fouled Holmes but LiveStats suggest differently.

Reply #308688 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

"In general though im just not sure how well imports can play under Clarke. He offers no freedom whatsover and from a few sources ive heard how he wants 'puppets' that he can control completely. So no room for an import with flair or a Vet with an opinion"

How about some feedback from members in the know.
Is Clarke over controlling? I have said I suspect he is over structuring but would like to see some informed opinions on this subject as it is critical to our future.

Comment please!

Reply #308689 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Big Ads, the refs stopped the play as there was sweat on the court or something which was a shame as Burston was about half a second away from getting his 5th foul which would have made a huge difference!

Reply #308690 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Thanks KJ.

On that point, I'm guessing the sixers wore moulded studs tonight and not sprigs.

Reply #308692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burston had a great game and really hurt us. Not sure about the over reaction about the no call on the tech. Holmes started it so if you were to call one on burston there would have had to have been one on Jacob. Wish we had burston instead of dj.

Reply #308693 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

Marty Clarke and his AIS ways...

Reply #308694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussie version of Dunlap

Reply #308695 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Clarke is a stubborn mule that has to have everything the way he wants it. He doesn't listen to suggestions from anyone and I have to wonder what Radford does because I doubt he has any input. To make matter worse, Clarke never accepts any blame for the team playing badly, blaming the players entirely. I hated this quality in Ninnis but its worse with Clarke. Tonight after the game he talked about going back to kindergarten. You don't talk about professional players like that. I cant stand to listen to him anymore. I can bet anyone of our players can go and play somewhere else next year and they will be much better players for it. Clarke is stifling them all. He is not an NBL coach full stop.

Reply #308696 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Anon 695 - Uncanny. I called him the Aussie Dunlap tonight too.

Reply #308697 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just got home from dinner.

Up by 10-12 in the fourth and then lose in OT, at home? Wha?

Reply #308699 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

KJ, see the Perth home game and the impact Jake had on that win. He's not going to come out and hit the game winner, but I'm pretty sure Clarke put DJ in as a counter to Burston's height, if that's the case then that's a ridiculous decision.
Holmes plays tough, smart D, he gets boards and he makes the right passes in the clutch. That is what we needed.

"I really think he has to be started now he's shown he can be a good option in the offense, why he didnt get many mins in the 4th blows my mind.

If it wasnt for his dumb pass in OT there would be nothing but praises for him, yeah its a bonehead play but what can ya do."

Illicit, I really don't enjoy bagging our own players but I'll just say this. I am certain that you only watch one end of the court.

I was just as confused Big Ads, it certainly looked like a foul. If he had been fouled out then it would've been smooth sailing. #notblamingtherefs

Reply #308700 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

If Marty wont take responsability for his poor player selection in this game, particularly in the last quarter and overtime and if he blames the team for this loss then he is not the coach for us.

Making mistakes and learning from them is one thing but the blame game is something else entirely.

We have some excellent talent here and we need to be able to keep it here to move forward as a successful club.

Reply #308701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers outscored 22-10 in the 4th quarter to send the game into OT and then lose, at home, to the second to bottom team.

It just keeps getting worse.

Boti compared Clarke to Dunlap in last saturdays paper, I've been thinking that pretty much all season. He's in over his head.

Reply #308702 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Team +/-s as I work them out:

Bruce +8
Creek +5
Daly +5
Holmes +4
Shannon +2
Johnson +1
Dowdell 0
Hill -4
Howard -6
Ballinger -11
Carter -19

If I've miscounted anything, yell out.

Reply #308703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why didnt hill play more, He started good

Reply #308704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cause he destroys the team at the defensive end.

Reply #308709 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Well when thought things could not get worse they did.
Both teams were horrible and arent we glad we did not wamt Burston as he solely won the game for them .
Then I guess he is aggressive and strong I guess we cant have that in our team . Hell no
Everyone jumping on DJ case in OT but if onin 4th when we had big lead and Burston started firing there would not been O.T
Least he knew how to put the ball in the ring unlike many others including our waste of space imports. Wow how we so constantly get our imports wrong they are embarrasing. Howard moves when on were comical if you werent crying .
How many open shots did Shannon miss and doesnt see the open player quick enough.
Hill can be frustrating at least he will have a go not play ball merry go rounds then miss open shot so why did he not get on.
Creek might be going to be a good NBL player he is exciting at times but is not one yet and will not be until treasures possesion more and can hit a jump shot .
How soft is Balls under the ring most times how many times did they get 2 nd shot or cruise past him.
We need him but not as captain and not as main centre.
We all admire Jacobs endevour but his limitations in height and ability do not leave him as a top 8 player in NBL anymore.
SOS feel sorry for you guys as trying hard but not happening and for first time I am on the anti Clark team as cant adjust defence when not working and has a very structured stagnant attack thats not working.
SOS but sorry guys if the team was not embarrassing enough what about the floor mopping debacle .
If the game was not bad enough without constant waiting for pre schoolers trying to mop or players etc doing it for them . Holy Hell that is proffesional sport.
I talked our group into going again this year they love me at the moment.

Reply #308710 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"Maybe so, but he did have a genuine injury, and had to go. In general though im just not sure how well imports can play under Clarke. He offers no freedom whatsover and from a few sources ive heard how he wants 'puppets' that he can control completely. So no room for an import with flair or a Vet with an opinion. The future doesnt look bright for the 6ers, would have to be very optimistic to think so at this stage."

Fizzle I 1000% agree with you, I dont think its Winder, Devries, Howards, Shannons games that suck..I think its the way they are being controlled and limited. Sorry but all of these guys tstats are WAY to good elsewhere to be this bad here.

Reply #308724 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Hang on Skud whilst dont agree with you on that Clarks structure is limiting that doesnt have anything to losing handle on ball like Howard done numerous times or missed open shots both Howard and Shannon .
Also bet Howard has record for air balls shots in a season .
What about their non defence PG blow past Shannon as not there .
Agree that Clarks style not ideal imports but hell a open shot is a open shot from u-15s to NBA

Reply #308726 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Sorry previous post should have said agree that Clarks style is limiting .
Sorry Skud etc

Reply #308727 | Report this post

Gnome  
Years ago

Just an observation!
Has Clarke come from a system that looks at player development first and game results second -> to a system that looks at results first and player development second?
Is he struggling with these to opposite forces in his coaching ability?
Maybe a topic for a different thread!

Reply #308731 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

He's not that interested in player development or Jake would be shooting with more air in his shots and scoring 10+ pointsd per game.

Reply #308736 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

Marty is a very limiting coach, he doesn't give players much freedom at all, look at the AIS SEABL team he used to coach, it was a rare sight to see a player get more then 25 minutes, look at Mat Delladova as an example, he didn't do all that much for the AIS, he was heavily controlled, then for the Boomers he just explodes and plays extremely well. He gives too much structure, and his rotations are just as weird as his AIS days, you play to win games, not to give everybody a run to see what they can do, all this rotation stuff puts players out of rhythm, and then when things do fall apart, he refuses to allow freedom to find a spark to get the team going.

Reply #308738 | Report this post

old dribbler  
Years ago

You can,t make a silk purse out of a sows ear.Most of the players on the sixers will only be backup players on a championship team if that.You just have to be patient and build and take your lumps on the way.I dont think boti nagy could do any better job!!

Reply #308742 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I'm really tired of hearing all the Clarke bashing adn the Jake bashing from tonights game.

Anyone who actually watches and understands the game would see that Jake + some other of the younger guys - Mitch, Daly etc are the only one's who actually run the offence. Majority of our sets went through Jake who set up teammates on numerous occasions.

We went on our best run with guys that move the ball and run the offence. Marty did teh right thing and ran with that same group to start the fourth but on 3 or 4 consecutive posessions we turned it over or came up empty so Marty made the change - to me that is good coaching. Whilst I agree maybe DJ should have played more of the 4th - who do you bench? Jake - the only guy protecting Ballinger on D? DJ whilst offensively was superp and also on the boards he certainly isn't protecting Balls on D.

Do people forget that with about 10 secs left Jake served the ball up to Ballinger on a platter underneath the basket and he missed it? Or is only a bad miss if it's by someone other than Ballinger?

/rant

Reply #308747 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

xztatic. I'm with you, where was Brad Hill, playing very solid game then lost on bench. Did a quick check
on NBL stats. he's averaged 27 min in our last 5 wins
had just 12 tonight, averages 19 min in last 5 losses. In last half of season production in all areas up. Go figure!

Reply #308751 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Where a group of adults needs to be sent back to kindergarten, - you'd be questioning not only the form and substance of their education but also the bias of its teachers and textbooks and the relevance of the studies to daily life.

Reply #308757 | Report this post

Stevo  
Years ago

For a guy who has come in mid season i hope AB gets the contract he deserves from a franchise who can be successful next year. He deserves better than what he gets from the sixers this year so far.

Reply #308765 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's the +/- for both teams for this game:

HOME TEAM

Aaron Bruce: 8
Mitchell Creek: 5
Tom Daly: 5
Jacob Holmes: 4
Eddie Shannon: 2
Daniel Johnson: 1
Jeff Dowdell: 0
Brad Hill: -4
Ron Howard: -6
Adam Ballinger: -11
Rhys Carter: -19

ROAD TEAM

Daryl Corletto: 6
Tom Greer: 5
Yusuf Qaafow: 4
Cameron Tragardh: 3
Wade Helliwell: 2
Matthew Burston: 1
Benny Lewis: -1
Lucas Walker: -2
Corey Williams: -3

Reply #308821 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Well done A.W.

Reply #309205 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:19 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754