Isaac
Years ago

NBA 2011 Dunk Competition

Trying to collate the various dunks for those who can't see it on TV. The ones I've found so far:

Griffin
Not sure what order these are in. Just find one video on the NBA site and it will link to the rest.
Throws alley to self off backboard, catches with one hand and dunks to his elbow, swinging (Rolan Roberts-style).
Long run up and 360 spin turning a one-hand clutch into two-hand dunk.
Baron Davis bounces it off the side of the backboard, Griffin catches and windmill dunk.
Winning dunk: Alley oop jumping over bonnet of a car.

Ibaka
First dunk: foul line dunk with foot behind the line.
Second dunk: rescues kid toy hanging from the ring with his teeth while throwing down a one-hander.

McGee
First dunk: dunked two balls on separate rings.
Second dunk: yet to find it.

DeRozan
First dunk: teammate bounces off support, collects and through the legs dunk.
Second dunk: "Show stopper" - one-handed windmill

Also worth trying to find the video of the amateur dunk comp - some impressive stuff there.

Post videos as you find them.

Topic #25007 | Report this topic

KB3  
Years ago

http://www.nba.com/video/teams/allstar/2011/02/19/griffinfinaldunkmov-1564361/

Reply #308806 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's a video showing the best.

Hollinger thought Griffin should've come third if it weren't for the hometown support. Hard to disagree - the twin-ring dunk by McGee, dunking three balls in another, and the one-hand windmill off the lob by DeRozan were brilliant. As Hollinger said in his article, Ibaka was the strongest fourth-place finisher in some time.

Reply #308930 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

"Rolan Roberts style" ... LOL learn your history !! This was Vince's coup de gras dunk in 2000 dunk contest ... and he managed to do it without tearing his pectoral and putting himself on the sidelines for 6mths.

Reply #308945 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

oops ... sorry Ice, didnt realise that was you !! Apologies for treating you like a commoner ... a thousand pardons !!

Reply #308949 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

I think its known as the Rolan Roberts here because he tore his pectoral on that dunk... never forget that

Reply #308955 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Melvin, I think the Roberts dunk was more memorable for me because of the injury and it being local, plus Vince's other dunks overshadowed that one in my mind. (This is all code for: I forgot about Vince doing it. ;))

Reply #308963 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

McGee didnt bring much in that last dunk though to be honest.

Pre Dunk comp it was Griffin's to lose.
After the first round it was looking like it was Mcgees to lose and that he did.

Should the NBA / TV consider showing the Dunk comp on a short delay, show it as a heavily commentated package removing all the missed shots etc and show a much cleaner spectator friendly package. - Im sure we all loved it cause we are hoops junkies, but some half baked bball mates were over and got a bit bored of the missed attempts and than when they finally make what were some great dunks it was more of a case of finally yeah not bad.

Than show the blooper real straight after?

Alot of those dunks were fantastic but lose impact on the misses.

On a side note dunk from the FT line deserved more than a 45!!

Reply #308996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

griffen embarrassed himself

got bailed out by the fans.

Reply #309000 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/2011_slam_dunk_contest_every_dunk_in_full_speed_and_slow_motion/4199257?from=foxsports/NBA+Basketball/headlines

all of the dunks in full speed and slo mo.

Reply #309063 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:40 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754