baby eagle
Years ago

Western Magic question

Is it true that some Western Magic teams will be moving up to division two for the winter period.If so doesn't this make a mockery of the agreement that West Adelaide has drawn up with the Magicians?I know the association thingy didn't work out,but west agreed to accept all players that were of a higher division standard.

Topic #25067 | Report this topic

nominations have only just gone in.
some western teams have had strong results - but I, like you thought that if they were div 1 or 2 standard moved to a bearcats team and the magic teams played div 3,4,5 etc.
Your comment that the association thingy not working is the first I had heard of it not working but i am not associated with either club.
can anyone comment...

Reply #309715 | Report this post

when i say nominations have only just gone in - i understand clubs have only recently had to put their wish list in for nominations.

any changes would have to be supported by evidence to the competitions committee.

clearly if a team is undefeated with % greater than 175 they would be looking to go up and if a team was losing with % less than 33% they should be moving down a level.

Reply #309716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now all the players that left to westies might as well come back and play for their sacred blue&white for the season.I can just imagine the magic -magic-magic tune going through their minds.Oh i got the Magic in me!

Reply #309741 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

I believe that the Magic Committee are well on top of things, so why don't you ask them?
Some very good players have been provided and accepted the opportunity to play in higher divisions.
I hear that all discussions are going well, but BSA seemed to have come back to 'Reality'
I would rather be involved in Magic/Bearcat discussions than T/Valley/Woodville so called merger

Reply #309764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

T/Valley/Woodville merger?
I heard it was to be TV and Centrals.

ON the original point, I hope the U14 girls Magic 1 team goes up. They are clearly better by 20+ points than any of the other div 3 teams and it's no fun playing against them.

Reply #309794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

better than woodvilles u14 who have not won a game

Reply #309797 | Report this post

regardless of what club - the competitions committe has to be logical and consistent in it's pro/rel process.

BSA is committed to it's by-law regulations.

if a team is winning with a % more than 175 - they need to go up - usually they only get better as the season goes on.

if a team is losing with low % ie 33% - chances are they will crumble as the year goes on in that grade.

all i seek is common sense from the clubs when nominating - so what if the kids are div 3 or 4 rather than div 2 or 3. They will be happier in a group where they have a chance rather than being flogged.

For the winning teams - I really don't think the kids worry too much about going up - kids seem to be happy winning by 20+ ppg.

Clubs need to say "ok our team is at this level" and start from there - if they want them into a higher grade - get good results and push for it as a goal.

we will soon find out by the end of march what will be happening.

Reply #309800 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Western Magic are certainly an enigma for some people.

In Div 3 U14 Girls they do appear strong. They have 3 teams of the 14 teams in that group and have rankings 1, 4, and 11. The #1 ranked team does stand out from the crowd, but without the Stage 1 and Stage 2 tables, it's hard to confirm how the rest of the season has gone.

However, if you follow their "business plan", then these players would feed into the Div 1 and 2 West teams who are in position 6 and 5 when playing positions become available.

Reply #309812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Western Magic could do with their favorite daughter coming back to the under 14s.Have herd North,Forrestville are trying to make a play for the lass concerned.Please come back our darling and lets give div 2 clubs a run for their money.

Reply #309826 | Report this post

no brainer in u14 div 2 - only 11 teams

southern, north and centrals results look like they should consider div 3 - woodville team must have withdrawn.

i would be very surprised if western dont make div 2 over winter season.

Reply #309829 | Report this post

Callisto  
Years ago

Western have agreed to not play div 2.

Any player good enough should go to West as agreed to in the merger.

Reply #309834 | Report this post

yes my bad - i should have said the div 3 team should go up as a second west div 2 team

Reply #309836 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

My understanding is that for Winter, West can have the Magic players that are good enough transfer up to Div2 or 1 without a clearance and then return if form drops away.This would mean that Magic 1 would remain in Div 3 ?

TVC will merge with Woodville or at least that is the big word going around the basketball traps

Reply #309847 | Report this post

that would seem to be the sensible - because it is not really a transfer for west/western or torrens v/ woodville players.

western 1 will stay in div 3 with different players as their players move to west - western 2 would become western 1 and western 3 western 2 etc

Reply #309855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do the Magic girls have to move?

It hardly seems fair to the rest of Div3 if they choose to stay.
But I suspect that the clubs and BASA don't give a toss about div3 and lower, they seems to treat them as the state government treats motorists - revenue!

Reply #309865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happens to the under 16/18 girls+youth league teams since they only have 2 divisions across the competitions?Will Magic be running just the div 2 teams in those age groups for girls?Pity so many girls leave the sport at those ages.

Reply #310010 | Report this post

ask western / west management.

we have all been made aware of div 1-2 west, div 3,4,5 western.

u18 girls may only stay a 2 div comp - but youth will be more than div 2 over winter.

Reply #310011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If by some miracle the association succeeds,and a lot of players from magic go west i think that will be the end of the club.Who wants to operate with a low number of teams in low divs?Warriors ruined the western party by moving into st Clair!

Reply #310247 | Report this post

No Idea  
Years ago

310247: Not all players will get the chance to play div 1 or 2 so if Magic wants to run club for div 3 players I think well done to them it sounds like they might actually care about these players.
Help develop the div 3 players so they can move into the association sides.
Isnt that why we are involved in clubs for the developement of junior players.

Reply #310298 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

No Idea is spot on here.Western are doing a good thing by developing lower division players into good players for higher divisions,without the burden to the players hip pocket.It would be a good idea to have more clubs like them doing their sort of development ,meaning good coaching is hard to find at lower divs.Some clubs struggle to find good div 2 coaches-mostly volunteer parents who only promote friends kids and so on.

Reply #310324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magics leadership will not nominate for higher divisions because of a the agreement between them and west Adelaide.

Reply #310564 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:35 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754