Isaac
Years ago

NBL names Round 20 Player of the Week

And it's Crawford for 31 points in a blow-out at home of the bottom-placed Kings.

Also featured are Clark (23 and 11 in a road-win over the Breakers) and Penney (21 in that home loss just mentioned and 25 in a road loss to the Hawks).

The Big List is back.

Other players in contention for this week's Player of the Week honours included Gary Ervin (Wollongong), Will Blalock (Townsville), Chris Goulding (Gold Coast), Ian Crosswhite (Cairns), Oscar Forman (Wollongong), Ronald Dorsey (Cairns), Gary Wilkinson (New Zealand), Patrick Sanders (Sydney) and Julian Khazzouh (Sydney).

Gotta say that I seriously disagree with this POTW choice. The Kings were backing up after winning in Cairns and while they have found some form, they're still the bottom side. Penney averaged 23 PPG in two losses against teams out of the four.

Relegated to the mentions at the bottom was Gary Ervin who was very, very impressive with 25 points (at better than 50%) and 10 assists in dispatching the league's best team. His opposites in Bruton, Braswell and Henare (top PG trio in the comp?) were made to look pretty second rate - Bruton looked like a senior citizen compared to Ervin and Braswell just could not keep up with him.

Many of Ervin's moves to the bucket and on the break were awesome.

NBL, what the hell were you thinking? Did you watch the game? Trying to get people talking? How is Penney in that top three ahead of Ervin?

Topic #25087 | Report this topic

bamtrabam  
Years ago

I think it is more to do with the accuracy that PC shot. It was clearly one of the best shooting performances of the season. PC is a worthy winner of the award this week.

Reply #310065 | Report this post

KEVY47  
Years ago

These awards and pretty much any decision out of NBL never cease to amaze me.

Reply #310066 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

The Crocs vs the Kings was a game between the NBL's 2 hottest teams!

PC hit 7 3's - is that an equal league high this year? btw he was 7/9 which is a pretty good clip!

Reply #310069 | Report this post

Kdog  
Years ago

Townsville game wasn't televised so hardly fair to count pc out unless you saw the game. I was at the game and PC was awesome, hit 2 huge threes back to back when the game was tied leading into half time that really lifted the crocs out of a slump. Worthy winner!!

Reply #310071 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

yeah but "it's Crawford for 31 points in a blow-out at home of the bottom-placed Kings."

Reply #310075 | Report this post

bamtrabam  
Years ago

how about we round up some more Wollongong supporters to have a whinge about this?

Reply #310078 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not so fussed about Crawford as I am about Penney getting mentioned in the top three over Ervin.

Reply #310079 | Report this post

cpark59  
Years ago

That is ridiculous that Penny got mentioned ahead of Ervin.

Not taking anything away from Crawford but I would have picked Ervin. There's a big difference between leading your team to a blowout against the bottom team and leading your team to a blowout against the team that has been head and shoulders above the rest of the comp.

Reply #310080 | Report this post

your mumma  
Years ago

NBL suck at the 1%'s and as we know these little things add up to be very important

Reply #310081 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:09 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754