Anonymous
Years ago

Marty Clarke on Overtime tonight

That was what he intimated in a column last week.

(Mod: Thread title updated. Boti on next week. Marty was on last night.)

Topic #25152 | Report this topic

Coopz  
Years ago

Unfortunately I believe that he has been bumped this week for a Kiwi, ex-NBA playing, sharp shooting & reigning NBL MVP.

But he will be on next week now.

Keen to see what KP has to say though.

Reply #311149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brett Maher is replacing Gaze as one of the hosts tonight and I believe they are interviewing Clarke as well.

Reply #311151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes khazouh and clarke.
why is gaze not on or is he joining his mate van wrong again on his nba tour and therefore will be absent next week also?
i hope maher brings some good energy.

Reply #311152 | Report this post

NBA agent  
Years ago

its on at 11:30 channel 10 and 11:40 one no big difference just interesting.

Reply #311166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously Marty Clarke was on tonight and he was pretty disappointing. To sit there and say a couple of times we don't have a go-to player who can just go and get you two points I thought was insulting when you've got the 8th leading scorer in the league on your team.

It's sad Carfino had to point out to him that we do have a franchise player in Adam Ballinger. Somehow I don't think that glaring omission was unintentional by Clarke either.

Brett Maher was on the panel and he didn't seem to think much of Clarke's answers "It's not all about wins & losses, that's just a cheap headline etc". Pretty dismissive of Maher's questions I thought.

Shall be interesting to hear what Boti has to say about that interview when he's on the show next week.

Reply #311169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When does ballinger ever want the ball in the clutch like maher or cattalini did? He hasn't been a winner since he came to Adelaide. Team has got worse.

Reply #311173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dear Hoopers,

BALLINGER HAS NO NUTS. He IS NOT a STUD.

End of discussion.

Reply #311178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

people also need to realise that Mahers best mate was replaced by Clarke. Of course Brett was going to jab Clarke.

Reply #311183 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Would like to know when Ballinger last created his own shot. That is what Marty was refering to. Ervin and Homocide can call 5 out and then just take their man and attack the rim. I have never seen Ballinger take anyone off the dribble. It is not a knock, it is just not part of his game. Maher was that guy for us for so long that there was no need for a 2nd option. Ballinger would no question be the 1st option on a drive and kick but we dont have the guy that can drive and kick to make him effective in those situations.

Reply #311185 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

If it's not about wins and losses, what is it about?

It's a bit rich to say that this season wasn't about wins and losses when it's at the end and there haven't been many wins.

As a follower, I'd like to know whether next season will be about wins and losses, before the season starts. If it won't be, then I'll wait until we have a season where winning games is part of the plan. Then I'll pay my money to come and watch.

Reply #311187 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

When does ballinger ever want the ball in the clutch like maher or cattalini did? He hasn't been a winner since he came to Adelaide.

23 January 2011? Are people's memories that short?

Reply #311188 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Someone said to me yesterday that Ballinger seemed like a "reluctant" go-to guy and I find it hard to disagree. Whether it's captaincy or players around him or the changing league, the longer he's been forced into a leadership/captaincy role or been heavily relied on in pressure situations (players around him obviously comes into play there), the further our W-L has dropped. And to me, it appears to have happened despite coaching change or playing position. Team mates have changed a lot too. Maybe being played out of role, rather than out of position?

He strikes me as a confidence player. When he gets on a roll (e.g., that Perth game), he gets on a roll big time. It seems to happen more often at home with the crowd behind him. When things are gloomy (Melbourne road game, etc) you can see his body language change quickly, the eventual frustration foul (Melbourne and Sydney road games). I don't remember go-to guys like Maher or Brooks or whoever else (an anon mentioned Cattalini) relying so much on confidence to get things going when the pressure is on or when trailing by 10+.

(I remember watching Maher in his prime. We'd be down 10+ and he never seemed to assume the game couldn't be won.)

So, like an anon said, it doesn't seem that Clarke's omission was accidental. I think De Vries was signed to be this go-to guy, and with Ng as a second option, but injuries hit those two and TDV's percentages weren't staggeringly good anyway.

If we don't put the right type of players around Ballinger next year, the past few years suggest we'll get more of the same from the team in the future regardless of who coaches. Let him get his big numbers freely without the clutch or leadership pressure - that's when he's been at his best in the past.

Reply #311189 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Marty did say in that Interview that the Ballinger shot was generated from team play and not from a "he's the ball, take the shot" setup.

The interview was fairly good with him last night. I think alot of the interview was "picking the words".

I actually think there was far more to say, but there's a time and a place for it.

His overall demeanor is that he wants a team to win the title of their own backs and not rely on the 1-2 shot of expensive stars to do the job. If he doesn't want another South Dragons, or Brisbane Bullets saga, then he's doing the right thing IMO.

Think he point about the re-teaching of players was an interesting highlight.

Reply #311198 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Hit it on the head Isaac!

Reply #311199 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I agree with majority of what Isaac said above but TDV's as a go to guy (if that was Marty's intentions) was flawed from the outset as he is not that type of guy IMO - more of a solid vet guy with decent range and 'team' guy.

I also agree the 're teach' is interesting. Is he trying to teach Balls the 5 spot when in fact in should give up and move him to the 4 and not have to spend the effort and time teaching the 5 spot?

Reply #311201 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Jake, by the re-teaching, he meant the set plays.

Not a case of training the likes of Ballinger and co to play a new position, but more of there being stubborness amongst some of the players to learn the plays.

Not exactly the easiest thing to pick up for some players, but there's a difference between "slow learner" and "do not want to learn".

Probably find there's some stubborness across the team when it comes to set players. Some people have their own methods, others prefer that transitional "free play" style.

Reply #311202 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jake, I don't see why TDV couldn't have been the go-to guy in the fourth quarter (save for a shakey 3PT%). He showed that he could get to the basket, had a decent handle, could get to the line, etc. Had the potential IMO to be some semblance at least of a Maher replacement.

As for teaching vets, going by something I heard I'd say he means the plays. Word is the younger players are a little keener to go the distance in learning plays, structure, plans, etc. Might explain why sometimes the bench is able to key decent runs for the team? Second most successful five-man combo on season aggregate plusminus is a pure bench five.

Reply #311206 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Everyone wants to play and when you are a few places down the bench, the only way to ensure more minutes is to do exactly what the Coach asks you to do. Won't always work out but if it does, it remains in the Coaches memory for future games.

Conversely, dont run or produce what the coach wants as a starter and you are more likely to see your minutes reduce.

perhaps if the starters had run exactly what the coach wanted, the amount of substitutions may have been reduced - maybe but this is Clarke in his first season coaching seniors.

It has been mentioned before how Dunlap had problems with veteran players, but his heritage enabled Smyth to win three titles. Don't really want to wait another 3 years for a winning season but there may be a bit of gold at the end of the Clarke rainbow. Just hope it isnt the sun shining out of .......

Reply #311216 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Isaac summed it up. We need some big, pragmatic (and possibly gutsy) off season decisions.

Reply #311220 | Report this post

oscarstheman!  
Years ago

Yes Isaac we are all aware that you are a ballinger hater because you want your brother back in adelaide. your a joke mate. we've noticed everytime ballinger comes into discussion you cant wait to have a dig. real class act administrator you are. so much for your posting policys, filtering of nonsense comments and guidelines aswell. bet if this was oscar in discussion you'd be deleting posts all over the place. your a sack mate.

Reply #311222 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, I don't want Oscar back in Adelaide. Not sure why you think that and keep saying it.

Reply #311224 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Ok, so given we are aware Ballinger isnt the go to guy and that we need to surround him with certain players, who do you think we should go after and surround him with, Aussies (out of contract, returning from overseas gigs, returning from college, AIS and Imports?

Reply #311231 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I love the people that have nothing to say but fly in and fly out to just give cheap shots with no substance .
Now I dont know Isaac or Oscar but only posters that have pushed Oscars name are posters like me who like a player that can and will hit a open shot or that 3 pointer when counts .
The facts are Ballinger is a good baller but has only produced under pressure ver rarely this season and is our marque player earning the most bucks and captain

Reply #311232 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

What did Marty say on Bruce and Creek? And, did he also mention anything about Herbert and where he sees his future?

Reply #311233 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Oscarstheman, you are so far off it's not even funny. People criticize Oscars game all the time and no posts get deleted and no one gets butthurt about it and especially not Isaac.
Oscar is the man, real nice guy who hooked me up plenty of free Breakers tickets in his time here in NZ. He would be an asset to any Team in the league and def the Sixers who are in dire need of someone capable of knocking down an open 3.

Reply #311236 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Oscarstheman...........I have not noticed Isaac bagging Balls, in fact I'd say he often defends him.

Balls is a great player but like others feel he is probably not suited as the 'main man' and seems to excel in a supporting role

Your coming across as pretty disgruntled IMO

Reply #311257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti had a subtle little shot at Clarke in his column in the paper today "smarty clarke".

Reply #311265 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I think Clarke and others on here are right about Ballinger he is not a Maher/Farley type that can create a score for himself and give the ball to and say get me a win, Clarke was right when he said we dont have that but need that, he hoped he would get it from Howard but obviously that didnt work, heres hoping we get a player aussie or import who can fill that role.

I sort of hope we are able to recruit a top aussie coming out of contract (Schensch and/or Gibson), another top college/ais guy would be great to help build a nice core for the future and if they can contribute well now (eg Magden type) thats even better and i hope we get atleast 1 top import, a go to guy like Ervin/Williams/Ere (not necessarily them but someone of that callibre), id be happy to go for 1 import if Clarke can get some top Aussies instead.

Reply #311279 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Seems a lot of trouble to get a whole lot of new players around Ballinger, isn't it easier to get a single replacement for Ballinger to fit in with the rest of the team?

Reply #311281 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I have never seen a single post critical of Oscar Forman removed from this site, and there have been plenty, particularly in the early years.

As well as Oscar is now doing in Wollongong, he is not the answer to the Sixers' woes. We do not need yet another complimentary team player unless he fills a specific skill set we are missing and I don't see Oscar's role at Adelaide at the moment. Following a bit of a break out season, I do not think he would necessarily come 'cheap' either.

I would not write off Oscar's chances of a return to Adelaide, but I would not have him as a high recruiting priority.

Reply #311305 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Let's not forget that Brett Maher was not nearly as effective when he didnt have as many talented teammates around him. Yes there were other factors, but Brett was unstoppable when he could pick his moments to step up.

Guys like Anstey, Mackinnon, Bruton and Penney, the modern stars, have all been the same. Corey Williams couldnt carry Townsville consistently.

Quite simply, the Sixers have one scorer at the moment, Ballinger. They need at least two and preferably three if they want to succeed, and it certainly isnt Ballinger's fault they havent recruited another player who is a natural scorer. I very much doubt his wage is that big.

Reply #311325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I very much doubt his wage is that big." i think you would be surprised.

Reply #311328 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Put it this way, Gold Coast managed to have Harvey, Gibson and Petrie alongside Worthington; Perth managed to have M Knight, Lisch and a lot of other talent alongside Redhage. Ballinger is well paid but not to the extent that other talent cant be recruited.

Reply #311331 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Paul, that assumes Ballinger is on comparable money to Worthington or Redhage. What do you base that assumption on? I agree that it would seem to make common sense if true, but as they say, common sense is not particularly common.

Reply #311334 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the burden of proof re: salaries is the other way around if people want to claim Ballinger is preventing the Sixers from putting together a good team. I cant prove that those three are in the same ballpark but I understand they are, and yet the quality of supporting cast Adelaide has certainly isnt in the same ballpark, nor, more importantly, is it as well balanced as Perth or Gold Coast.

Reply #311340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ballinger is paid at a level a runner up in the MVP voting would expect.

You also assume that the teams you mention are under the cap and arent doing side deals with double contracts or partner employment

Reply #311344 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:50 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754