SRT070
Years ago

please change the song when someone travels!

seriously is it just me or does that song thats played when the opposition travels annoy the hell out of you? For one i cant hear or understand it and two it sounds like it was made in the 60's. Cant we find something better like 'been around the world' or 'i get around'

Topic #25214 | Report this topic

hanging round  
Years ago

What about a song for Julius, Oscar, Luke, Magden---
"You abondonded me, Love don't live here anymore"
That should rattle them and put them off their game and hasten their return!
Sorry, but I don't think the music will affect a good athlete.

Reply #312242 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

yeh but it affects the crowd. When that stupid song comes on everyone is looking around wondering what the hell it is

Reply #312258 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I think 90% of the gimmicky crap we have to listen to should be completely stopped.

In no way does the name Mitch Creek have anything to do with a Wolf, except for sharing the name of a freaking movie, it just sounds and looks retarded.
Atleast we have cut out some of the rubbish

Reply #312282 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I don't know what the problem is with the song. The Leyland Brothers theme song "Travel All Over the Countryside" is rather appropriate really. Remember that a lot of the fans there would be 35+ in age and would know the song and the late 1970's TV show its from.

But seriously, most don't even care. Its the fact that the guy has been called for traveling that gets them going. Leave the song as is IMO.

Reply #312294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The MC is just plain crap!!

Reply #312299 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Its the most appropriate song to play. I admit that age is showing through here and most young people would not have heard of it. It used to be a television program about 2 Leyland Brothers that would travel all over Australia but mostly bush travel in a Jeep. The song was the theme for the program and I can't think of anything more appropriate when the words are "Travel all over the countryside, ask the Leylands, ask the Leylands, travel all over the country side ask the Leyland Brotherrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs" There you could almost hear me singing it.

Reply #312305 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

LOL EC, I'm glad I'm not the only over 35 in this forum. The song is appropriate. Just because some people don't know it doesn't mean everyone doesn't know it. "Travel All Over the Countryside" when an opposition player TRAVELS. Perfect fit.

What a lot of the younger fans don't seem to realise that those of use who are 30+ in age have been following the 36ers for longer than some of them have been alive. The club knows this and they play their music to not only suit the tastes of the younger fans but those of us old enough to remember a rather cramped Apollo Stadium which, on a good night, be it the basketball or an Akka Dakka concert, could be as loud with 3,000 people as BMC is with 7,800 cheering another championship win.

Oh, and if its not an age thing but its an audio one where SRT070 just couldn't hear it properly, I have to say no one around where I was (down left of the TV platform) seemed to have much problem hearing it. There were a number of us middle ages there who laughed at the reference to the call of travel. Of course, that's not to say it was like that where SRT was sitting. He may just have not heard it properly, simple as that.

Anon, the MC is kinda crap isn't he. But can you, or myself, or anyone else who's heard him at 36ers games who doesn't like him do any better? Strange as it may seem, there is a lot more to it than just taking into a microphone.

Reply #312309 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's tradition. Probably only noticed because it was played a few times last night.

The Kings have a male street dance crew and while they are a bit loose, they bring something different to breaks in the game. While in Sydney on Sunday, I thought, "If we had these guys in Adelaide at 36ers games, half the forum would do nothing but complain about them."

Reply #312327 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

well im 24 so it explains why ive never heard of a lelyand brother. I just cant understand that words because its blaring and muffled. Still not a fan of it now that i know the words but thats me. I completely agree with the mitch creek and a wolf howling. Absolutly no relationship there. May aswell play a sound bite of a water feature that resembles a creek.

Reply #312338 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I like the howl.

Reply #312341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should go to Chicago stadium and see what they do to get the crowd involved.

Amazing

Reply #312347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats the announcer got to do with the travelling song? does he sing it? i dont think he's crap... thats a big call. he wouldnt have got the job if he was crap at what he does.

Reply #312351 | Report this post

surmdog  
Years ago

leyland brothers i herd it, nice gag it just sounds lame out loud.
isaac, not to sure if its tradition i havnt missed a game in 4 years 1st time ive herd it.

travelling is the key word here, maybe

You forgot Your Boarding Pass

or maybe since the crowd is already cheering and laughing already and clearly not confused just the simple

HA HA or walkies

Reply #312353 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

The Homer Simpson "you tried your best, and you failed miserably" sample made me giggle audibly; good job Skip.

BTW I am under 30 and can easily remember the Leyland Brothers.

The howl is fine IMO, but people who aren't fans shouldn't worry too much; you won't hear it until Creek develops some semblance of a jump shot. At the moment he makes Shaq look like Maher.

Reply #312355 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

surmdog, he's been using the Leyland Bros clip at least all this season. I don't blame you for not paying attention during this year's games though.

Reply #312356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The music needs a full refresh... Same songs week in, week out... I'm not surprised they struggle to get people to games if there isn't stuff to get excited about... The game night team need to be a bit more original and show some more passion for the game by providing a bigger atmosphere. They are all out there looking lost not knowing what's going on. Where is the boss? Who is running the show? Having met all those guys they love the game but it doesn't translate to the court.

As for that travel song, yes it might be appropriate and fitting but it pulls down the atmosphere. The crowd can't get involved like they do when someone is fouled out with 'hit the road jack'.

Reply #312360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Walk This Way" by Aerosmith/Run DMC

Reply #312361 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I guess the song is never played much because the refs let go a LOT of traveling in a game these days. I was always taught that you could only take 2 steps without bouncing the ball on the way to a lay up and that carrying the ball was going to be called travel. At times this season, and recent years, I've seen some players take 3 or 4 steps and get away with it because the refs simply aren't looking for it. And don't get me started on the fact that just about every time the ball is brought back down court, players like Corey Williams and Eddie Shannon carry the ball and get away with it.

I know after the Cairns game I did that e-mail survey and one of my observations was about the standard of the refs and the no travel calls despite it happening almost every time someone drives to the basket.....or carries the ball. Maybe I wasn't the only one to say that? I don't know but it seemed they were on the look out for it at BMC last night and the Tigers were on the wrong end of a few calls.

Reply #312362 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

"Walk this Way" would work quite well and be a nice change.

Reply #312384 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I like the Leyland song because it actually says the word travel but if people want to change it to a walk song, I think you can't go past 500 Miles by the Proclaimers.

Reply #312391 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Done laid around. Done stayed around too long.
Seems I gotta travel on.
I didn't know whether to duck or to run..
.. so I ran.
I gotta travel on.

Reply #312392 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw 'Gotta Travel On' - subject to copyright, Bob Dylan

Reply #312394 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

The problem with the Leyland Bros music though is the quality is awful - if you don't know it, as I'd imagine most people younger than 25 wouldn't, then it'd just sound like noise. I know it and even still, it sounds like the quality I used to listen to over a 28.8k dial-up modem with RealPlayer.

Perhaps prior to next season we can do a Suggestions thread for appropriate music/soundbites?

Reply #312522 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Perhaps a small snippet of Mos Def's "Travellin' Man" would work? "I'm a travellin' man..."

Reply #312524 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember it as well. I had to explain what it was to my 15 year old nephew on the night - after about the fourth time.
But maybe a change should be considered to better relate to the younger crowd.

Reply #312529 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

How about seeing if that business "Harvey World Travel" would sponsor the Sixers for an amount...every time someone travels, it plays the "Harvey World Travel, the Travel professionals" jingle.

Reply #312540 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Bobby, I like it. The only problem is that the Harvey World Travel people would watch the game attentively and then sue the refs for all the missed travel calls which result in missed jingles.

Reply #313041 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:24 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754