Aussiebballer
Years ago

The Future of Sam Harris

Any word on if he will be back next season?
Did he improve or is he still too slow for NBL?

Topic #25332 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I think, given the rebounding/height needs of the 36ers, that he didn't get more than a few minutes total suggests he's not really going to make it in the NBL in a hurry.

But he may be a multi-year project (Clarke has spoken of that before) - just a matter of whether they'll stick with the second year or not.

Harris suited up for Bendigo in the first round of the 2011 SEABL and had 13 points, 10 rebounds.

Reply #314197 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

He also had the block that won the game on Saturday night.

Reply #314212 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Harris at best may only be a role player in coming off the bench for 10 minutes in the NBL.

If that is his ceiling, is a guy who turns 27 this year despite being 7'4" worth perserving with?

Reply #314215 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Can't possibly imagine what life would be like as a 7-4 guy. If you're OK at basketball it's fine for when you're on the court, but in every other facet of life it must be awkward/frustrating/uncomfortable.

I don't know him, but if it's a real battle to make basketball a career, like it appears to be for Harris, then what else does he do?

Reply #314222 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Try his hand at footy. Then if that doesn't work, join the rat race.

Reply #314228 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

They are holding a race at the Dome?

Reply #314230 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Footballers need 'engines' even more than basketballers, so that's got to be unlikely. And how much non-basketball learning/qualifications/education has he got under his belt if he's spent his adult life pursuing hoops as THE career option?

There'd also have to be a heap of other tall guys out there who never quite made it to the elite level, so I'm off now to reserve www.7ftuniversity.com.

Reply #314231 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

if basketball was he 2nd most popular sport in australia youd expect gws to sign him.

Reply #314237 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Isaac i spoke to the coach of Bendigo & he had a putback to put them 4 up with 40 secs left & in the next play phase he rejected Mohammed (reigning SEABL MVP) to ice the game. He was huge! His stats dont tell the full story. Ben Harvey might have added the piece of the puzzle to win it all this year!!

Reply #314239 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Which makes me wonder once again what the hell Marty Clarke is on! U can't teach 7 foot & youth. Imbecile...

Reply #314242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree orbit. I think Sam's future is in Europe where big men are used in slower half court sets.

Nicest guy you could hope to meet with a great attitude. Hopefully will win a championship at seabl level and not be lost to basketball to the AFL.

An AFL team will love the marketing that comes along with signing Australia's tallest man in the same way Gold Coast got so much press out of Karmichael Hunt. That and the fact most AFL teams have numerous developmental ruck men on their list at any one time who may ultimately never get a game.

Still would have loved to have seen Harris get a chance to fail this year.

Fair enough Clarke got to see Harris at training every day and he obviously didn't fit within their game plan.

But just think back to all those championship Bulls teams of the 90s with big slow lumbering white 7 footers in Longley, Purdue, Wennington. Sure they would have rather had Robinson or Olajuwon but good coaching saw the slowness of those 7 footers combine with the speed and athleticism of Jordan and Pippen to form some unbeatable teams.

Reply #314257 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

orbit, save some of that coach-hate for Bevo who didn't use him much last year or keep him for this season.

I'd like to see him do well also, but last season only Clarke gave him any chance at all - every other coach passed.

Reply #314260 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

If he is 27, what has happened to him until now? Where was Marty Clarke 9 years ago when a rare breed of super tall human was walking this earth called Australia and didn't get taken under his wing. If he had 9 years of solid attention from a development coach, surely he would be playing at a much higher level than now. I just get the feeling that this is a case of an excellent opportunity going begging.

Reply #314268 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think way back he used to be into rowing? I remember Oscar talking about him training with the 36ers (when Smyth was coach) while he (Harris) was passing through Adelaide. He was at the AIS for at least one year, and at a US college for four years. Made a few Australian junior squads, and also had last year with the Wildcats. May have trained with another team prior to that? Can't remember.

All up, that accounts for 6-7 years in development-oriented situations so it's not like he's been completely neglected or without opportunity.

Reply #314274 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Singapore slingers wasn't it. ?

He's got a presence on him . You see him .It's magnetic. Looks a foot taller than DJ.

Clarke thought 9months work before he played.
A Biomechanical expert worked with him for a month.
He played 2 games on injury waiver for .. not sure who... for 3mins..
Maybe back , not sure.

Reply #314276 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Played for Singapore then trained with Melbourne
before perth, I think.
There's always something in what he does , to my eyes.

Reply #314277 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Harris had a full 4 years of college ball under his belt with Old Dominion - the same team that fellow Aussie Trian Iliadis is currently on that played in the NCAA tournament this year.

Despite is obvious height advantage, he only averaged 10 minutes per game in his senior year back in 2007/08.

Sam Harris - ESPN Profile

Reply #314315 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

please delete the blank post, i hit enter too early.

I have heard that some bigs, people that have major heigh like Sam Harris dont want to try footy for the fact they have very short life spans. Footy isnt necessarily a good move for someone so big getting bashed around. it does knees like no tomorrow id imagine.

Reply #314338 | Report this post

Pug  
Years ago

EC,

You are showing you complete lack of knowledge,

Harris spent 3 years at the AIS.

4 years ar college and multiple years in various NBL programs.

Had great opportunity. Great guy, just not mobile enough to be able to defend any big who can step to the perimeter. ie most 'bigs' in the NBL.

Reply #314341 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Three years at AIS, four years at college and trained with at least 3-4 NBL clubs plus some ABL-level games. Has definitely had the chances.

Reply #314345 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yet no one in the NBL has given him the opportunity to prove himself on the court, which is a shame. Not blaming any coaches etc, but I would have liked to have seen him on the floor against guys like Nevill, Pledger, Schenscher etc etc, or in the middle of a zone and crashing the offensive glass.

I dont think we will ever see hm out there though unless a number of new clubs come into the league in the next two years.

Reply #314349 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

If anything he will be remembered by some 4500 spectators for an awesome dunk that got everyone off their seats.

Reply #314369 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

He's no superstar going on scouting reports but could have potential if shown a bit of love...

Reply #314394 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

orbit, I think he's had a fair bit of love - three years at AIS is more than most receive. Full term at US college, etc.

Reply #314399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was also part of Bevo's World Championships U19 2003 winning squad.

Reply #314400 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

How good was the crowd noise when he got on the court. The dunk = crowd going completely nuts.

Then we never saw him again.

Reply #314402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone got footage of that dunk?

Reply #314405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Harris has had a "fair bit of love" by any stretch of the imagination.

I remember seeing a few games he played with Perth last season and he actually looked better than decent in the little court time he got filling in for Rogers.

Also what little I've seen of him both in game and during training with the 36ers has said to me he deserves better than he's received. Needs to be given more opportunities.

He's a better player than some big guys floating around the league like Helliwell and Behrendorff.

Reply #314406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam Harris dunk at 36ers training:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s43nqN3oV5w

Reply #314407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dunk vs the Breakers earlier in the season, audio is terrible though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na5mgJIoh3E

Putback dunk with Perth last season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjnrotSuVtk

Reply #314409 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

One of the main reasons he hasnt had more than a few minutes the past two seasons is he has come in as an injury replacement and then hasnt been able to be used once the player returns from injury. That rule seriously needs looking at.

Reply #314413 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

That is a fair point Paul. However I do think his only chance may now be with the prospect of league expansion. i.e. a second Melbourne team, Brisbane returning or the Newcastle gig getting up and over the line.

Reply #314442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Google Gigantism, and you will appreciate how far Sam has Come.

Reply #314468 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Pug, I admit I know nothing about Sam Harris. Haven't followed his progress for the last 8 or 9 years. He really only came to my attention since the beginning of this season. That is why I wondered why he was 27 and had not developed into a star in the NBL. With his height, his age and his level of development, I thought it was more a case of not being given the opportunity rather than him not achieving the potential he could otherwise have.

Reply #314541 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:28 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754