Bo Hamburger
Years ago

Stephon Marbury in China

Anyone else catch the GQ profile of Stephon Marbury's China experiment? Well worth the 15-20 minutes of reading time - as well as having an awesome name, author Wells Tower can flat-out write:

In fact, during my week in Taiyuan, I would not see a bird, or a rat, or an ant, or a cockroach, or any living creatures at all, except for human beings and a substantial population of upsettingly adorable and horny stray lapdogs.

or:
Marbury did not fancy the idea of spending four months in this hotel, whose rooms were carpeted in cigarette-pocked low-nap the color of earwax and whose mattresses would have registered respectably on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness. Nor did he want to stomach four months of meals at the Wanshi's restaurant, an undersea-themed eatery whose evening buffet included such dishes as Grab Stick, Intestine Duck, Best Thick Seam, Ear Rabbit, Black Fungus, Meat, and Duck Bloody Piece.

Topic #25432 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Agree - great writing. Quite liked: "part weird cheer, part dubious meow."

Reply #315700 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Thanks Bo, that was one of the most entertaining reads I have had in ages. Marbury comes across as a rather complicated but fascinating individual. Would be one hell of a documentary in it!

Reply #315716 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:42 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754