Mystro
Years ago

NBL Finals Game 3 Breakers Vs Taipans NSEC

The decider tonight.

Penney cleared by Breakers physio to play.
Henares last game in the NBL.
Cairns or NZ's first NBL title.

Breakers for the W.

Topic #25472 | Report this topic

XY  
Years ago

Game time for Adelaidians?

Reply #316301 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

5:30pm AEST....5:00pm for Adelaidians...

Live on One HD and thank god, because everyone else seems to be covering the Royal bloody wedding...

Reply #316305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we have heard so darn much about this stupid wedding that by the time it happens we will be over it already. thank god for non wedding coverage on tv. breakers by 10 but id love to see the taipans get the win i just dont see it happening

Reply #316311 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Breakers for the win..91-80

Reply #316320 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Either way, it's a feel good story. Either team popping their title cherry.

Would prefer another Double OT game. Think the Breakers have this one the bag though.

I do hope the final game isn't a blowout.

Reply #316321 | Report this post

bball fan  
Years ago

breakers by 20

Reply #316338 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i also really hope it isn't a blow out.....it would be so embarassing for nz if that happened to them on their home court!!!!

seriously though,alex has to get 20 and 10 today for cairns to have a chance.

if it's still close at the start of the 4th,i'm backing cairns!!

Reply #316340 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Pressure is all on the breakers now so i recon cairns will get the W. Only CJ has real finals experience for NZ. Penney is a gun but what has he won??
NZ are a shooting team and when you get tight what happens to your shot.

As they say defence wins championships so if cairns can keep em to 70 or 80 or less....

No one expects cairns to win, surely they will be fired up and if ubaka plays Ok and loughton does something then who knows.

Reply #316343 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

igotmadskills,
so Vukona and Boucher don't have championships? Penney has played EuroLeague Finals and World Champs Semi's as well as NCAA Final Four basketball, NZ well and truly have the edge on experience and the home court advantage to go along with it.
Has anyone ever see Kirk Penney have 2 shit games in a row?

Reply #316346 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Boucher is a hack and if they actually called fouls on him he would only last 10 minutes.

Forgot about vukona - i rate him highly as he isnt the most talented and is massively undersized but hustles his butt off.

NZ are expected to win though, that changes things big time mentally. NZ in the world champs were not expected to do any good so had no pressure.

Lets hope its a close one. Id like cairns to win personally as we all know they are lucky to be in the comp let alone done what they have this year..

Reply #316350 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Boucher serves his purpose, how many offensive boards did he get his dirty mitts on in game 2 when it started getting down to the wire?
People always complain that great defensive players like Boucher and Martin don't get called for fouls, it's because they move their feet ;)

Reply #316351 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

so if i move my feet i can hold jerseys, arms anything i want. Sure he takes charges etc ill give him that but id rather see clean defence.

I go to the footy and see less contact than when i watch boucher, robbins, martin etc play dirty defence while moving their feet..

gorg won championships coz he got his whole team playing dirty D and the refs let it go as they knew they would cop an earful if they called the fouls. Thats why gorg was a great coach as he got the refs calling it his way so his team had a big advantage..

Reply #316368 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Breakers should win, I say by 7. I would love another 2OT game with Cairns winning...but I just don't think it will happen.

Reply #316371 | Report this post

cpark59  
Years ago

Terrible start by the officials.

Reply #316384 | Report this post

GKcats  
Years ago

These refs r f...t!!!! Im loving tiapans!!!!!! Smash the kiwis!!! The breakers have had the luck u need all yr!!! Hope the refs dnt decide the gf!!

Reply #316387 | Report this post

GKcats  
Years ago

Well done breakers!!!!!!! The best team this year!!!! Hope the nbl gets better next yr, had an awsome yr!!! Well done to henare n my fav cj!!!! Enjoy it New zealand!!!!

Reply #316396 | Report this post

tripple  
Years ago

These presentations are aweful, they are giving the taipans way too much time introducing each player is a waste of time. Give the runnersup troheys to them in the change rooms. The coach should have a say like he has then get off, and let new zealand enjoy it. once again the nbl have proven they have no idea!!!

Reply #316397 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I got the impression that Carfino lead them down the whole "lets put a lot of focus on Cairns" path. You can't knock the Cairns boys for taking the opportunity to thank their fans and everyone.

Sengstock was class, as was Spangler, but agree that too much was made of Cairns (perhaps filling time).

Reply #316398 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

According to script.
Cairns over achieved to get this far, but really they are barely competitive.
Loughton's stocks have hit the skids. Good after match speech though.
Breakers came with the energy and suffocated the Taipans offence.
CJ put the game away. Paul Henare got the send off every player dreams of. Dillon and Vukona grab another one.
Well done Lemanis, he's copped plenty over the years, but showed faith in his players and his system .....whatever it is.

Reply #316401 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

YEAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BUDDDDDDDYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

-Agree with the comments about Cairns- they had more time than the Breakers- Just call each player up and save applause til end- also no need for a biography on every Cairns player.
-Breakers clearly best team all year long
-Abercrombie is quality, but Mika was unlucky to not get MVP.
-BREAKERS ARE THE BESTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #316403 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Stoked with that result, NZ's first title!!!
Great that Abercrombie got finals MVP, had a solid season.
Henare gets to go out a champ, a deserving send off for a loyal player, played like he wanted it as well.

Reply #316404 | Report this post

Chappo  
Years ago

You know what .You people that live down south and over the ditch if any of you on this chat do need to give Cairns HUGE credit.

Its not all about SA,NSW,VIC .We QLD teams deserve as much as you do to win...Maybe your slack arse no hoper teams need to STEP UP and actually win and get into the semi's or even thats right the GRAND FINAL.

The Taipans did what they had to to get into the Finals GF. None you others did .

So put up or shut up...The stage is for whoever deserves it and Cairns and NZ do as much as eachother.

Maybe a bit of thought needs to go into your scribble before you etch it onto this page....

Reply #316416 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Nice that the NBL recognises the runners up. Could be a bit quicker but so be it.

NZ just too good. So much international experience on their roster and they knew how to play the big game at both ends of the floor. Controlled the tempo, the boards, and hit big shots thanks to Mr Bruton.

Cairns were a top class defensive team but not a grand final level offensive team. Great effort for them to get this far though, that win over Perth late in the season turned out to be huge in terms of making the GF.

Hard to pick an MVP, Abercrombie did a bit of everything and averaged 11p and 7r, Vukona 9p and 9r and Pleder an impressive 9p and 6r in 16mpg. Bruton great in this game, Penney in game one, Braswell in game two, Henare defensively in all games. Sums up the Breakers, super deep and talented.

Reply #316419 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

agree Paul

Reply #316427 | Report this post

Bball Fan  
Years ago

igotmadskills - how can you talk about Boucher getting away with fouls when the 'big men' of Cairns have done this all season. One of them plays like a ragdoll - falls down as soon as anyone comes near him, and the other uses his elbows as weapons. Thankfully this was seen in game one of the finals. After that these two played very little part in the finals!!

Reply #316609 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Did anyone else notice the tosser on the phone in the background during the presentation ceremony?
He was obviously talking to someone who was saying
"OMG I can see you live on telly" So he was hamming it up for his "viewer'. Holding up a beer etc, being a dufus.
Then he got another call along the same lines and was waving around a lolly snake!

This was during the presentations, thought it lacked so much class. He was on the court so he wasn't the ordinary fan, some kind of official or hanger on maybe?

Reply #316634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sadly when some people see a TV camera they behave as if they are the stars of the show!! I was at this game and think the 'star' was in the 'corporate seats' so probably not a fan, but someone who had the evening paid for him by someone he works for or with.

Reply #316638 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:01 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754