K.E.T
Years ago

36ers Sign Weigh

Adelaide 36ers have secured Perth championship starter Stephen Weigh and will move on Portland Trail Blazers point guard Patrick Mills if the NBA lock-out goes ahead.

Sixers coach Clarke has confirmed Mills was on the club radar.

Weigh's signing is a boost with Adelaide also hoping to lure home 216cm Luke Schenscher this season from Townsville.

The 198cm small forward has signed with the 36ers on a two-year deal which still has to be officially ratified by the NBL.

"It's certainly exciting to work with one of those talented big wings coming through the league" Clarke said.

In other news:

Rhys Carter has officially signed a two year deal to play in Sweden, Melbourne is expected to add Cairns imports Ubaka and Dorsey, Crawford re-signed with Townsville and Dusty Rychart is tipped to re-sign with Cairns.

Topic #25583 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

From today's Saturday Advertiser 21/5/11

Reply #318314 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Nice.

Reply #318315 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

u sure bout ubaka n dorsey thing i really wanted ubaka to come to sixers

Reply #318316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good get. Now big red. When do we find out about NBA lockout? MIlls would b great. It's tough u can't wait around but then u dont want to miss out if there is a lockout. Maybe bougut lol!

Reply #318317 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Good signing getting Weigh, a young guy who has been atleast a pert time starter on championship/playoff teams are always good to get.

Wow imagine if we do get Mills and Schenscher, id assume we would have no imports or maybe a cheap import, depending on what points/$$ we have left.

A team of

Schenscher/Johnson
Ballinger/Holmes (or Hill, who obviously wouldnt actually play PF)
Weigh/Creek
Cheap Import/Herbert (and/or Ng if we cant afford the import)
Mills/Bruce (or Daly if we lose Bruce)

Looks very exciting to me, here is hoping the 36ers are able to pull it off!

Reply #318318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As good as it would be for the sixes and the league in the short ter to acquire mills do you think it is the best thing for the club going forward? I mean realistically he would only be here for 1 year and what if the lock out doesn't occur, we've likely missed out on someone like Ervin who could be with the sixes for more than 1 year?

Reply #318319 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Mills would take an import spot. Once Portland was up and running you would then replace Patty with an import. Probably not a great strategy long term as you would hope Patty is not here too long. Good rumour for selling tickets though.

Signing of Weigh together with Creek gives us our two big wings, which is probably not great news for Brad Hill.

Reply #318320 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I would take Ervin before Mills because you know Ervin will be here the whole season but will take Mills over anyone else

Reply #318321 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Well id still take Mills if available as what happens if he did decide to play the bulk of the rest of his career in Australia, if we have the chance to get him, then get him as id hate to pass him up because he may not stay long term and then have him play 10 years for another club.

Even guys like Anstey and Heal played a large number of years in Australia around Euro/NBA gigs, so its not impossible that Mills could play a number of seasons in the NBL, hopefully for the 36ers even if not all consecutively.

So yea, id take Patty in a hearbeat, give him all the out clauses he wants, if he plays 2 games and leaves to Europe/NBA then wish him well, in the hope he may one day return. Then get a import, it may be late and risky, but even Corey Williams may still be available mid season and could be a good pick up if we signed Mills and he left during the season.

Reply #318322 | Report this post

The Special 1  
Years ago

would be great for the league to have Mills here, but nothing is stopping him from going to Europe.

Also what state was Mills bought up ?

Reply #318323 | Report this post

The Special 1  
Years ago

awesome pick up :)

Reply #318325 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

looks like Bruce is going to Sydney, think i saw him mention it on twitter, so i guess Daly will be our back up PG,

With Mills (or a import) and Daly our PG rotation still looks good to me.

Reply #318328 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I know Mills spent some time in Canberra as a kid, because there is the story that he used to be a floor wiper for the Cannons during their games. I think the connection with Adelaide is that his mum lives here.

Reply #318331 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Oh yeah, getting Mills back for half a season of NBL would be great for the league. He would be like another Gary Ervin and the fact that he is home grown and has been playing in the NBA will capture casual fans attention.

I'd like to see the NBL help make it happen. They could plan an intensive marketing strategy based around Patty and pay him for his services to help sweeten any playing money a team could stump up for him.

Reply #318332 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

His mum was born in adelaide but leaves in canberra but he does have family here

Reply #318333 | Report this post

K.E.T  
Years ago

Patty Mills is a BIG Crows supporter, confuses the hell out of his Portland team mates whenever he wears the jumper haha

Reply #318337 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wollongong is the other team with Mills connections - has friends there I think.

Wasn't convinced by Weigh in Perth this year, but he's young and has room to improve so I think it's a decent signing assuming there are a couple of bigger pieces to come. I think this would force Hill to another team. (Cairns maybe?)

Still need a rebounder.

As for Ervin, I think he may wait on overseas offers first? Would like to see him here - good guy and talented. People keep mentioning Sydney, but if they have Martin, Cooper and probably Bruce signed, and Madgen only able to play SG, where would he fit?

Reply #318339 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think it was Boti who mentioned that Ervin's preference was to stay in Australia? Of course, there are some offers you cant say no to, no matter what your preference.

Reply #318341 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Isaac, I know what you mean about Weigh. I saw him tear it up in a couple of games, but in others, he tried to force his shot too much.

He is still a pretty poor outside shooter (I think on the NBL site it said around 30% career from three) but I think he could become a very effective scorer from mid-range and in the high post, a bit like Cattalini once was for us.

Reply #318343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weigh will be a star within a year, or a big fat mistake! A player truly at a crossroads wit his career and what he wants to be in the NBL. I just hope he passes the ball when he needs to!

Reply #318382 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You have to remember Perth's game plan is to be ultra aggressive offensively. If he had passed up a shot he probably would have been dragged.

Given as a young player he has averaged double figures the past two seasons in an equal opportunity system, and has improved the other areas of his game, he is a handy pick up who at the worst will be a good NBL starter for years to come. Let's hope the team around him functions better than the Sixers of the past two years so he can continue to develop.

Reply #318391 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

is that all.
if 6ers want memberships in pay some cash for players then you will get $ by spending it

Reply #318396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe Weigh will end up with a career much the same as the last player to leave Utah early to return to the NBL.....good not great.

Reply #318418 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

From what i've heard Marty hasn't spoken to any of the current playing group in regards to next season. Thus we have lost Carter to Sweden, Bruce to Sydney and more than likely Hill to Perth.
I've heard Marty has chased Ervin who has requested 4 weeks to make his decision hence Sydney not wanting to wait and moving in on Bruce.

Reply #318430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hill to Perth? Don't think so, my money is he's headed North.... way way North.

Reply #318432 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I think Clarke knows he has to seriously upgrade the roster so he is trying to sign up the starting 5 including one or 2 stars like Ervin and Schenscher before he signs the rest of bench/back up players,

which i think is the best way to go, sign your starting 5 with the bulk of your points and $$ then worry about the bench,

Reply #318436 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Most likely spoke to Gibson Martin Ervin Mills Williams.................
about coming here rather than keeping Carter n Bruce.

Signed Weigh...waiting for Schenscher ,
if yes... then Ng fits n likes Herbert... not sure about the rest... maybe Dowdell n Daly might be it.

Reply #318442 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

There is no chance Patty Mills will be in a sixers uniform next season. None whatsoever !!

Reply #318443 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

So where is Patty Mills going to be playing?

Reply #318445 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

As the first of july breaks open
seems there'll be a lockout that......
has players hoping......
to find a pen that will write
and to be wearing a new hat.

Reply #318448 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

Maybe in Europe? I really doubt Australia. Sure it would be great for basketball in this country but he wouldn't get paid nearly enough.

Somebody mentioned previously that if he failed to perform to the expectations (eg. averaging like 20+ ppg etc) in the NBL, an inferior league in comparison to NBA and Europe, it would significantly effect how people perceive his skills. He is a free agent after this season so he needs to ensure he gets that next NBA contract.

Reply #318449 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

So @rangaMitchyou don't know for sure he is not coming to the sixers, they way you were talking it sounded like you knew something, I agree that it is a long shot for him to come to the sixers but all the club can do is talk to him.

Reply #318452 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Why do people assume his main motivation will be money? It may well be he would want to play at home in a league as good as most in Europe. We will find out soon enough, but I dont think it is as big a long shot as people think.

Reply #318455 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'm with you Paul, I think Mills may be a real chance to play in Oz if the NBA lockout proceeds. And the fact he has a connection with Clarke can only helps the 36ers cause.

With an NBA lockout, I would expect a lot of NBA players to go and play in Europe. Given there are only so many teams with X amount of $$$ to go around, Mills could be competing for the big $$$ with high-profile NBA starter PG's as an example. And plus, Mills does not have a Euro passport either which does not help his cause.

If the chance arises, I'd like to see Sean Marks come back and play for the Breakers too. Maybe there is an outside chance of David Andersen coming home for a season (or two) too? Would be great for the exposure of the NBL and put some names and faces to the NBL that non-core basketball followers may know of already.

Reply #318459 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Andersen would go to Europe, it is more home for him basketball wise than Australia. I wouldnt be surprised if he has played his last NBA game really.

I dont know how many US born NBA players will play overseas, especially those with big earning potential in the NBA. I think it will be more the deep benchies and internationals.

No doubt Mills and Marks will get some Euro offers but let's hope they choose here. If I were NZ I would keep Wilkinson over Marks though.

Reply #318464 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

You are probably right with regards to Andersen...I think his NBA "experiment" is now over and he is more than likely to head back to Europe. I'd still like to think that a team like Wollongong would make him a reasonable enough offer for him to at least think about.

And yes, I would keep Wilkinson over Marks any day.

Reply #318465 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Would be nice if all the Aussies came home for a season! Even if only to see how they would go and what sort of crowds they would bring.

Reply #318466 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Definitely.

Bogut would certainly be a welcome drawcard, and would provide a great start for any new Melbourne based NBL team...I'll stop dreaming now!

Reply #318467 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

You shouldn't LC.

The lockout will create(at a guess) some 200-250 players looking for a basketball contract. European clubs will have a great opportunity to pick up very good U.S. based players while holding all the cards.

I would expect many foreign players currently in Europe will be offered smaller contracts, if any.

Ok, so it is unlikely we'll see Bogut in the NBL but NBA based players like Mills, Andersen and European based players like Barlow, Newley, Nevill, Jawai, Baynes etc may find it more convenient to come home for 12 months.

Furthermore with the Olympics just over 12 months away Basketball Australia should encourage local players return home. Given the NBL and Basketball Australia are now operating under the same banner maybe an increase in the NBL salary cap for one season might make it a return home a more attractive proposition.

Even with an unlikely salary cap increase, I would expect a number of NBL clubs might be waiting until July to find out the outcome of the lockout before they make any large signing decisions.

Reply #318510 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Would be nice if Newcastle and Brisbane were ready to go for the lockout year, would add an extra $2mill into the spening pot.

Reply #318515 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I thought the exact same thing Paul but unfortunately it's a bit like saying "if only the Dragons hadn't closed up shop and sent the League into freefall". History will show that it may have been the catalyst that ultimately saved the League from an eventual collapse but it still doesn't stop one from wondering if only.

I would be curious to know if Basketball Australia has a contingency plan in place for the NBL in the event of an NBA lockout. Many good players across the globe will be looking for work and the League may miss the chance to attract some great talent that could give the competition some welcomed appeal outside its core supporter base.

Reply #318518 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Teams are locking up talent fairly quickly. Perth, New Zealand, Wollongong, Gold Coast and Melbourne are close to full rosters. If you believe what you hear (which is an iffy proposition!) a number of clubs will be signing imports soon.

On the other hand, Cairns and Adelaide in particular are possibly in a position to capitalise if some good players becone available as they are slower putting their roster together. I think it is safe to say Adelaide wont be signging an import pg soon as they will wait until Mills makes a decision.

Sydney have been talking up the imports they are after so I wonder whether they have something up their sleeve or just talking it up like they did last year!

Still, with some good imports appearing set to stay; the best locals hanging around; guys who didnt play full seasons like Ng, Herbert, Bruce, Petrie, Knight and Williams back; and Rush and perhaps a couple of others back from OS it looks like being a solid year talent wise with or without some bonus players from a lockout.

Reply #318528 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:30 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754