Filthy Mexican
Years ago

2011 abl coach of the year

Coming up to the halfway point of the season where do people think this are may end up?

My thoughts in the womens is

Lucas, Prichard, valk
Based on form these 3 coaches need to be in the hunt

Willie, symonds, dhu may be outside chances but far, far outside

Winter, Kelson, eastern coach and centrals coach, clubs should save the $80 for the ticket (centrals would have to be considered but with a coaching change it's tough to justify, maybe jess mahoney for COY)

I think with the off season movements Prichard will be out of contention, too many purchases, Lucas without Marino still has the sabres clicking well and valk without sam woosnam has produced with the bearcats.

I think it is a 2 horse race at this stage. Any other thoughts?

Topic #25634 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

You would need to give it to the holder of the Marino Cup, Mr. Lucas.

Reply #319097 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Hang on...so a coach loses 2 starters (Duke, Smart) and other key players, replaces them including bringing up some players from lower divisions, and this should discount him?

I would have thought Pritchard would be a good contender for it.

Reply #319098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bringing up players from lower divisions?????????????

Reply #319100 | Report this post

mrs todd  
Years ago

lets see what ben todd does with 10 games to go before we discount him folks.

Reply #319103 | Report this post

Filthy Mexican  
Years ago

I agree with centrals form Ben Todd could snare some votes but he would ave to finish very strongly. Even still it would be tough to justify a coach of the year in 11 games.
As for Prichard coaches that recruit key players seem to be over looked, a good example is west in the championship year, won reserves, abl and 21's and John gillies didn't get a look in! I don't think it's right but seems to be the trend.
This year there are great coaches but the league is lacking the average to good coaches that we have seen from years ago.

Reply #319107 | Report this post

Filthy Mexican  
Years ago

I agree with centrals form Ben Todd could snare some votes but he would ave to finish very strongly. Even still it would be tough to justify a coach of the year in 11 games.
As for Prichard coaches that recruit key players seem to be over looked, a good example is west in the championship year, won reserves, abl and 21's and John gillies didn't get a look in! I don't think it's right but seems to be the trend.
This year there are great coaches but the league is lacking the average to good coaches that we have seen from years ago.

Reply #319108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lucas,Winter a close last.

Reply #319109 | Report this post

red77  
Years ago

What is Winter's background anyway? I've been around a long time, and nobody I know has ever heard of her. From what I've heard from people who I trust would know, she seems to be way out of her league at ABL level. Surely after all the years of mediocrity, Woodville needed to recruit a coach with some profile, in the hope of bringing some decent players to the women's program.. Can't imagine anybody moving to Woodville to play for someone so unknown.

Reply #319112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only players that cannot get a game somewhere else.

Reply #319115 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Woodville have chosen to have Winter being mentored by previous coach - to maintain the strong junior focus this club has.Players being attracted has more to do with dollars and cents. A mentor with strong Junior Dev background, albeit having struggled to get strong results doesnt mean that having a "no name coach" cant bring program forward. Get off the Woodville band wagon- club is trying to build a base and cant afford to lose experience as well as fast track new direction. Coach Winter has full support of club to bring success.Give her time and then your know her name.

Reply #319118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about the men?

Reply #319124 | Report this post

red77  
Years ago

anon - what strong junior focus? Woodville's junior program is on the verge of collapse, especially on the girls side. The club chose to persist with Holland year after year with no success. appointing a no-name coach who looks out of her depth just smacks of taking the easy approach. It's long been a criticism that Woodville put little or no effort into the women, while focussing on the men. This just seems to prove it. Over the past ten years they have had a number of high-profile coaches in the men (with some success), yet the first chance they get for 10 years to do something about the women, they just appoint whoever happened to be willing at the time, without bothering to head-hunt a more suitable candidate.

Reply #319130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Answer, are you for real.

Like Talbot recruited from Eastern. Or Ireland recruited from Forestville. Or Payne recruited from WNBL. Or Sheirlaw recruited from West. Or McDermott recruited from Eastern. Or Herrick recruited from Sydney. Of FOley recruited from WNBL. Or Boothy recruited from Southern. Or Hansberry recruited from North.

On any given night they would be lucky to have 4 home grown juniors in the 12. And not one of them is from a lower division.

Can we get 'your totally wrong and its not an opinion but fact' badge for The Answer please Isaac.

Reply #319132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe there's a bit of difference between "recruited" and "left".

Talbot approached Norwood - what advantage is 3 (?) games and low points this season.
McDermott left Eastern cos she wanted to stand on own feet.
Shierlaw left West cos she was a bench player - still is - where's the advantage to Pritchard there?

Norwood are undefeated after 8 rounds... that's gotta count for something in the COTY award.

Reply #319136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't recruiting part of your job as a coach,to build a strong team.As for Talbot overrated maybe?, as Pritchard struggles to get her on court, giving her a bit of junk time at the end of the game.She has had no impact on Norwoods results.Agree with 319136 the team is 8-0 and that is what should count.

Reply #319147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ABL is a development league.

Reply #319149 | Report this post

spurs_suck  
Years ago

I thought this post was about who people thought should win coach of the year? Apparently its not

Reply #319154 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Woodville putting little or no effort into Womens program is wrong Lynne Holland has worked harder than any other coach to dev and stick with a youth program.The club has chosen to back her in and is doing so again. Maybe management need to be asked what their vision statement is and where they think they are at with it.Men have chosen a different path -horses for courses. Doubt many coaches would have persisted as long as Woodville have and is some merit have stuck to a direction which has much merit but still work in progress.So head hunt who Red 77 - as if coaches are falling out of sky to coach a struggling club.

Reply #319171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I struggle to believe that sharon Symonds never gets a mention for COTY. For the past two seasons, has been a championship winning coach, the eagles are always undersize, they are disciplined and well drilled and from one year to the next have lose big name players (at least 2 from their starting group the year before) and still manage to play their hard brand of basketball and be competitive. She knows the game inside out and it reflects in her coaching style. even though there are some players from other clubs, the core group have been together for a few years now. Something must be working.

Reply #319172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The way Sharon abuses refs every game will ensure she doesnt get a COTY gong.

Reply #319175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs dont vote on COTY thyan God - they would only %&^*# that up too if they did

Reply #319182 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Referees are so precious and not voting on COY is a good thing - most of them use the classic i didnt see when ever they stuff a call that blind freddy could see
so they hasve no chance determining good coaching
plus so are so easily upset thet tech at drop of hat and that have to impact
COT - LOOK AT BIG IMPROVER Centrals Women - if they make finals surely thats a huge effort - no doubt have to bwe recognised

Reply #319188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the men?

Simons and Bell have had to rejuvenate and change their teams and both are going strong.

Davidson in first year also doing well although team is largely unchanged and is always a contender anyway.

Al Green at Woodville getting them going too.

Reply #319191 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

York at North if they keep rolling... Young and undersized and now playing some really good ball by the sounds of it! And 2 losses by 1pt so with some luck that 4-4 record could be 6-2!

Reply #319194 | Report this post

red77  
Years ago

anon - "as if coaches are falling out of sky to coach a struggling club."

And therein lies your problem...accepting mediocrity by going with more of the same. That mindset is exactly whay Woodville is on the point of collapse, and not many can see themselves digging their way out of it this time.

Reply #319230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Red77. Exactly correct. Winter is ex at Claire woodville junior

Reply #319232 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Think find Winter was Magic also - so has experiences outside of Woodville.
Very focussed hard working - give her a chance.She is her own person and result will follow.Win number one and perhaps another this weekend - soothsayers.

Reply #319238 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Think find Winter was Magic also - so has experiences outside of Woodville.
Very focussed hard working - give her a chance.She is her own person and result will follow.Win number one and perhaps another this weekend - soothsayers.

Reply #319239 | Report this post

Carla  
Years ago

Anonymous 319175 - I assume you go to every game to observe this...Probably the quietest coach in the league..

Reply #319251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah no, anon is correct. She rides the umps the whole game....stands up and is in their ear the whole game!!

Reply #319260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carla - been to enough games to witness the same behaviour against different teams, different venues.

Reply #319267 | Report this post

Carla  
Years ago

So you can hear what is being said....Sure you are not assuming the refs are being ridden...

Reply #319296 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Any coach can 'recruit' players in! Means they dont have as much to 'put in' I guess........They're already experienced.......easy ride I reckon Mr. P

Reply #319345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carla - never know who is posting on here. Been plenty close enough to hear what is being said!!

Reply #319346 | Report this post

Vodka Tonic  
Years ago

Never know. But not hard to work out who.

Why dont you throw your hat in the ring anon. Or are you afraid it might turn out like every other time your have coached.

Reply #319357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

york would be a good contender if the kets can keep up this form, such a young and undersized team. like mentioned above 2 loses at 1 pt. whatever she said after round 4 has clicked in this team.

Reply #319747 | Report this post

swiminaginit  
Years ago

Like lots of awards, COY is a slightly ridiculous award because it is decided on a hill slope not a level playing field. Club resources decide the success of teams not the coach who, many players will tell you, they play in spite of.
To say salary caps even out the comp is like saying speeding fines stop speeding. I prefer the award title 'Championship Coach' because COY doesn't always reflect coaching skill just recruiting power and cheque book sizes.

Reply #319860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vodka - have never coached. Dont understand the nuances of the game enough to do that. But you dont have to coach, ref or play to still be heavily involved in the game.

Reply #319862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tracey York would have to be up there for the men after dropping the first 4 games now it 5 wins in a row with at least 6 u/23s in the team (who dont just sit on the bench) I think she is doing well with the team she has got ....

Reply #319929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

let's judge Ben Todd by how many of the current players are there next season

Reply #320037 | Report this post

fringe dweller  
Years ago

well if those current players are thinking of leaving after only 1/2 a season with Todd then they weren't worth having in the first place

Reply #320056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon 239, I'd like an understanding of what you mean by Winter being hard working and focussed because it's not apparent.

Reply #320059 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Hard working by virtual of the work thats showing and been done with the juniors and focussed on a course of promoting and supporting fast tracking juniors to the next level. The youngest group by far in the competition and on solid path.

Reply #320098 | Report this post

ganymede  
Years ago

#098 - I assume you're new to the scene and unaware of the professionalism and discipline that goes on elsewhere as compared to Woodville. You really should get out more.

Reply #320118 | Report this post

cinderella  
Years ago

ganymede, your post would carry more weight if you explained what clubs are in the 'elsewhere' you talk about and exactly you mean by professionalism and discipline and how they differ to Woodville.

Reply #320121 | Report this post

The Matrix  
Years ago

Tony Moore should be coach of the year - Centrals won more times in six games under him than they did in the previous 100 years

Reply #320787 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:25 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754