SAbasket
Years ago

What happened to SA Teams at Junior Classic?

Just having a look over the results to come out of the weekend and there hasn't been many great results for our juniors.

Are we off the pace?

Sturt U12 Boys have been destroying the competition here, yet are unable to be competitive with the stronger sides over in Melbourne.

U14 Boys where Sturt won two years ago in U12s tehy once again fell off the pace by the looks of things.

Do we need to concentrate on our junior programs more?

Topic #25706 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was involved in Nunawading so got to venture out from dandenong stadium for once and into the other suburban stadiums.

Going into the stadiums and seeing the sheer size and aura of the associations in Melbourne is phenonemal. Halls of fame, flags hanging from the rafters, sponsors on the walls, club colours, their own bars/canteens/uniform shops and logos on the walls. Clubs over there run large domestic comps, have complete control over their facilities, employ fulltime staff and have large domestic associations. When you go there you realise how poor SA Basketball is compared to vics. Its not solely because of populaton either. These massive clubs/associaitons are clsoe together in some areas and there would be 15-20 of them over there.

How can we replicate what they have.

Reply #320422 | Report this post

having seen some of the teams from here and melb - we do not have the height to match up - most good vic teams have 2-3 5 spot players taller than ours.

guards are about the same

Reply #320430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trouble is in SA most teams make the small kids the point guards automatically, instead of developing some of the talls in that spot.

Reply #320436 | Report this post

Mimas 44  
Years ago

Eastern 16 girls made the finals.
Sturt 14 girls were unlucky to finish 4th with a couple of close losses.
Nowrood and Sturt 18 Girls both were unlucky not to go all the way.

Sturt 16 Boys did well to get 5th.
Sturt and Southern 14 Boys both got top 8. Sturt boys just are undersized, but can play well. Nothing you can do about having pre-pubesent kids competing against fully mature ones. Once 16 and 18s come round things might swing back the other way.

Reply #320439 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The Vics have a larger population to draw from, and yes height does have some influence, but the play style of Vic teams is different and as far as organization is concerned, SA needs to start pulling in the same direction instead of the current setup

Reply #320445 | Report this post

the years we have done well - we have had at least 2 good inside players in a team with some outside players that could finish.

compare teams that have medalled at the classics or u14s previously - they have at had at least 2 players of equal size to their opponents biggest.
Just putting it out there that we do not have these stocks at present - guards are as good as they have ever been - across the board we need to target some tall athletic - u12/14s boys and girls.

girls results were ok - just the boys results were off a bit - we usually make at least a bronze medal game somewhere

Reply #320448 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

U18 Sturt boys only had 3 top age kids but still went well only losing to Knox by 6 and DV by 10, won the rest, should be on the money next year

Reply #320455 | Report this post

thanks anon - i did not know that - yes that is good for next year

Reply #320458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This years VIC teams are much much bigger in 16 Boys than previous years, all of the top teams having multiple bigs has made it a very different landscape this year. The shooters were scarse early on but have developed alot since the start of the year and several quality PGs running around too.

As for the clubs running their own stadiums, pro shops, canteens etc. I guess you can only go by what you see (Dandenong/MSAC). In most cases the situation is not much different to SA or NSW where clubs are using someone elses venue, maybe taking entry fees and revenue from kiosks but Dandenong are clear leaders in this area, now moving into sponsorship for apparel, supplies and who knows what else. Knox, Kilsyth are quite good too, but you are right BV has helped educate alot of these clubs about becoming more financially viable. Interestingly BV is now increasing their sponsorship also. Perhaps this is one way Basketball can fit back against football recruiting players.

I was at Dandy all weekend and BV are getting very good at running this tournament, it seems to become more professional each year.

Reply #320460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon above
if you regard what the other anon stated, he wasn't involved at dandy/msac, but the nunawading tournament. Which used different stadiums.

Reply #320465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Further more, i'm a Victorian and i noticed that Sturt had great offensive skills, but poor defense comparably. Some of the other adelaide teams i saw in u16s seemed to be to busy concentrating on running an offense rather then put it in the basket at the same time, and lacked the skills to run the offense. And again, the defense was lacking, playing defense too 1on1 and not as a unit like most Victorian sides do.

Reply #320467 | Report this post

Oberon 94  
Years ago

We dont have the height to match up???

We need to target tall athletic 12-14yo???

We have plenty of them, just go to your local footy ground and netballcourts!
Then ask their parents why they are not playing basketball. Nearly all of them would have tried and been introduced to the SA 5 spot rule where if you are lucky enough to get any court time in the first place- you are to run from end to end up the centre of the court whereyouare not allowed to touch the ball, while watching 4 guards who are allowed to dribble, pass and shoot as often as they like and are then all allowed to compete freely against you for rebounds. Then you have to cop the abuse about being lazy and having no ability mostly from your own club.
Why on earth would any parent want this for their kid.
No wonder they play footy and netball where they ar welcomed with open arms.
If any club in Adelaide genuinely tried to play, involve and develope these kids they would be rewarded tenfold by the time they were 15-16. Just like they are in Melbourne.
I think it will need a generational change for Adelaide to get away from this guard mentality and stop playing 2 and 3 spot players at 4 and 5, just so you can win a couple of cheap u12 and u14 titles.

Reply #320468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the u16 knox team were massive one guy almost 6'8 and then a 6'7 athletic shooting guard, the dandenong team also had a 6'7 guy no wonder that no sa teams challenged for a medal.

watching the tigers vs the sydney team was like an aba game they were some big bodys

Reply #320471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oberon 94, excellent comment.

I instructed my very tall 5 man to look to take his shots more in a particular game on the weekend and after 6 minutes I subbed him out and he said to me "coach, I haven't touched the ball on offense". He is developing and we are a very gaurd orientated team, but I was embarassed as his coach because I hadn't even noticed. He is a great talent, very raw and could end up a 'real 5 man' so I guess this is an example of exactly what you have said above.

My plan now is to continue to develop his skills, but more importantly get him the ball within our offense.

Reply #320472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the kids playing footy only cost the parents 40 bucks in fees not 400 per season

Reply #320473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The other thing people forget is that kids grow at different ages. I pity the kid who is tall in U12/U14's who then grows very little more to be overtaken in size by these "little" guards who grow later in their youth. These late growers have all the ball skills and then "get" big while the early growers have less ball skills and have become "small"

All skills should be taught to all kids especially at U12' and U14's as you have no idea how big they will end up

Reply #320475 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

bingo.

Reply #320479 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

anon #475

Are you insisting that coaches are taking talls aside in 12s/14s to just to big man skills. Maybe in 14s this does occur in individuals training. I don't think I have seen too many coaches that don't teach point guard drills to their entire squad

Having said this, I do agree that all skills need to be taught. Where kids develop is when they get to try out these skills. How many coaches rotate their PG spot to all their team including their talls. I would say not many in the top grades.

Reply #320483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not all about height ...

In the Under 18 men, North Bears (Sydney) should have won it (twice !) and were way shorter than the Melbourne Tigers. But the Bears had a gun guard who could shoot the lights out and penetrate the paint - #10, sorry don't know his name. The Tigers certainly used their height, but only just got away with it.

In the Under 18 women, Norwood and Sturt were easily had the tallest teams in the tournament. The two grand finalists, Melbourne and Bulleen, barely have one 5 man each ... but they win out through superior skills, especially in offensive execution and then shooting to finish off.

To be fair, it's tough to travel interstate - I watched both Sturt and Norwood play Bulleen, and they both seriously ran out of steam in the second half.

You need a balanced team in height, but able to run the floor and work as a team at both ends. And as others point out, it helps to develop the basic skills young but then you need to keep the kids in the sport.

A Vic observer.

Reply #320484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flinders80,

I wrote the post about growing at different rates and I agree with what you say but unfortunately with limited space to write you can't qualify every comment.

Yes all kids do get taught the basics but usually when it comes to scrimmages and competitive drills the kids tend to be put back into their little cubby hole and seldom get to use all the skills they have been taught in a very competitive environment.

Also I know that when there is more than one coach available to a team on trainings there is at times more focus on big man skills for the talls and vice versa.

Obviously every position has its own set of specific skills along with some general skills. I just think the ball handling skills, and more importantly the decision making under pressure, in a competitive environment are more difficult to catch up on later in life for the bigger child v the smaller child trying to learn big man skills later in life when he has grown

Reply #320486 | Report this post

Oberon 94  
Years ago

#472 Open and honest comment.Your team will be rewarded in the long run, but more importantly your tall player will stay involved in basketball.

#475 Right on the money, the next step is to play an inside outside game like the Victorians, so the really tall kids remain involved and dont move to more accomodating sports.

Reply #320489 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Sutherland 14 boys had a monster boy. we reckon he was 6 5. Shame the coach did not know how to use use him. He moved well and it was basically 2 points when he got it under the ring.

Size was the diffference in most grades but with 4 times the population you are always going to have couple of extra kids to pick from.

14 girls finished 4th 5th and 7th which says they should do ok at Nationals. 12 Girls were underized as were the 12 boys. Our kids look so young compared to the victorians.

14 Boys had some monsters and I thought both Southern and Sturt did well.

One thing I did notice was the big drop off in the Sydney teams especially in the girls.

Good weekend and look forward to going again next year.

Reply #320490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To add to what Vic observer said, the MVP of U18 Girls final was the smallest girl on the court.

Reply #320492 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"And the kids playing footy only cost the parents 40 bucks in fees not 400 per season"

Sure thats why I just paid $160.00

Reply #320493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

484, that's because although they have shooting practice at sasi no one and I mean no one teaches them the right way to shoot and across all clubs it's the same story. Unless kids are getting individuals from solid coaches where they learn fundamentals they will learn SFA at sasi and most district clubs.
After two years at the AIS most come back with a decent shot as they should with the intensive training they get but it makes you wonder about the quality of coaches here in SA

Reply #320494 | Report this post

Oberon 94  
Years ago

#492 Well wow,to add to what is the biggest story on the planet right now- the MVP of the nba series was Dirk Nowitski the biggest player on the court at 7ft, who cares.

Reply #320496 | Report this post

Oberon 94  
Years ago

#493 You need to find another club, my footy fee for winter was $50 for early payment, while my basketball fee was some $500 in total for both summer and winter for early payment.

Reply #320498 | Report this post

hopscotch 98  
Years ago

sounds like nothing has changed with how clubs treat their big men. quite a few years ago, my son went to "Australia Camp" at the AIS as a 200cm 16 year old. The coach there told him when he got back to his club he should play as a guard to continue to develop his ball skills. Club coach ignored his request and continued to play him in 5 spot. a couple of years later, he quit and went to football.

Reply #320511 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

forget about basketball too expensive for parents and their kids to play .go to footy better off my kids enjoy their footy because they on the oval than sitting on the bench ,while the coaches son plays and his mates play full game .SA basketball going downhill nowadays lack of BSA support.many years ago sa dominated juniors now many just go for a holiday.

Reply #320513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Observer where was your kid playing??

Reply #320517 | Report this post

Callista  
Years ago

And hope you aren't home helping him with his grammer.

Reply #320518 | Report this post

Callista  
Years ago

hopscotch 86

Why would someone whos kid gave up basketball "quite a few years ago" be on this site?

Really,'please explain'!

Reply #320520 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Grammar!

Reply #320524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball is played in big buildings called stadiums. Nice and sheltered, no dirt, less players in the team, small space to play in.

Basketball = more cost for those million $$ complexes.

Go carting is more expensive than basketball as i swimming.

The fact is you let your kids try out sports and then follow their passion! Some sports are more expensive than others.

Reply #320525 | Report this post

Showtime  
Years ago

I see 2 points on why Vics are getting better results.

1: Massive numbers to chose from

2: Superior facilities

I agree with "Jack Toft" and BSA need to stop penny pinching and get a new direction in promoting basketball within SA.
Bigger facilities and more kids.
Do you know that SA Country has more registered players(senior/junior) than Metro?

Reply #320530 | Report this post

Showtime  
Years ago

I see 2 points on why Vics are getting better results.

1: Massive numbers to chose from

2: Superior facilities

I agree with "Jack Toft" and BSA need to stop penny pinching and get a new direction in promoting basketball within SA.
Bigger facilities and more kids.
Do you know that SA Country has more registered players(senior/junior) than Metro?

Reply #320531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Showtime do you know those old registration numbers have proven to be incorrect with so called members being people who haven't played the game for years or never actually did at all.

Intersting that as soon as Country associations actually had to pay affiliation fees like every district club, those numbers proved to be incorrect.

Reply #320536 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think the main thing is to move forward. Some of these anchors holding the sport back need to be cut.

With around 400,000 people living in Country SA and about 1,100,000 in Metro, one would expect around 27% of all registrations to be Country and 73% Metro if participation rates were about the same. Obviously, if Country and Metro playing numbers are about the same, then participation rates in Metro are significantly lower.

I would expect that country people are more likely to participate in sport and so some natural bias is expected. The Country leagues are probably more centred around summer due to the footy and netball demands.

If the participation rate is lower in metro, then the aim should be to increase participation to make the elite point of the pyramid better. We should be looking at get more kids into the sport for the benefit of everyone, not putting up barriers to entry.

Reply #320544 | Report this post

Mimas 44  
Years ago

What, barriers like zoning?

Reply #320545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oberon, the point is height is NOT a prerequisite to be a winner.

If you were old enough to watch, Steve Nash has been the MVP two years in a row 2005, 06.

Reply #320547 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Mimas44, What barriers do you see that prevent kids from entering the sport, and what can be done to grow the sport to double its size?

Reply #320548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steve Nash is a good example. Relatively small, relatively unathletic v others but a great basketball brain and great basic skills.

Why do coaches become infatuated with the show ponies, the large athletic kids but don't recognise basbetball brains and solid skills

Reply #320550 | Report this post

Mimas 44  
Years ago

Barriers to entry:

1/ No one asking them. ie clubs dont have full time JDO's putting kids into basketball.

2/ Poor admin. ie clubs dont have staff to process and maximise possible add ons like uniforms and camps.

3/ No entry level competition for kids to start in. ie getting thrown to the wolves because you only have 1 team in an age group has proven to be a sure fire way to have kids leave the sport.

BSA needs to; H

a/ Have their development officers putting kids into clubs. (not tell the do's that it is not their job to put kids into competiitons)

b/ Help clubs set up/take over domestic comps and give the clubs the money made from these comps. (not do it yourself so you can take all the money)

c/ Each club need to take this money and pay a full time JCD/JDO. (the ones that do are performing better)

d/ As these comps get bigger, BSA and the clubs can go to councils and improved facilities. (starting with those in areas which are full/ ie even if wayville is the best facility, if its full, add 3 more courts)

e/ The competition needs to reward improvement by pro/rel across the board, to expand initially to cater for new teams from clubs, then reigonalise at lower levels to assist in moving to domestic competition. (starting from scratch is proving impossible and not financially rewarding).

f/ Change its mentality from taking down the tall poppy, to making clubs improve their performance, with both a carrot and a stick. (some clubs have seen what is happening in victoria for years and have been trying to follow their approach, and suprisingly are doing well, but BSA are reluctant to let go of the purse strings to take further steps becasue the poor cant get theri sh#t together even thouhg they have had 25 years or more to do so)

Reply #320552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem with the above is you are asking club's members and councils to invest money into developing basketball but with Adelaide's small population base those players that they get into the game and develop could just go up the road to another association. What if Sturt for example setup domestic comps in 3 venues across Adelaide. This would kill the other clubs where those domestic comps existed. Mimas your email contains some magnificent ideas but without zoning it wouldn't work.

Reply #320553 | Report this post

Mimas 44  
Years ago

Why would sturt set up comps in 3 different areas? Each club should be doing it at their home stadium. And if they dont have one, at a venue near by.

I cant argue something that doesn't make sence.

If Sturt were to set up a domestic comp at St. Clair, surely a majority of those player would end up playing for Woodville? Would Woodville be worse off/better off with 200 new players, surely all 200 wouldn't go play at Sturt?

Same if they set one up at Hillcrest. Surely those players, wouldnt wake up and say, "hey lets go play for Sturt and train and play at Pasadena. Thats easy compared to playing here at Hillcrest."

Its mentalities like yours that keep your clubs down.

I would suggest that if Sturt set up a domestic comp at St. Clair, it would be better for Woddville that it would be for Sturt. Woodville would get more kids, more money and Sturt would get nothing other than people driving across town to prop up Woodville.

Reply #320555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mimas what if Sturt set up a Domestic comp at Pasadena and Marion Lesuire Centre?

There are plenty of venues around which aren't BSA venues.

Reply #320556 | Report this post

Mimas 44  
Years ago

Why would that matter?

Again, surely if they had 400 kids runnig around, they all couldn't fit into Sturt teams.

Some will eventually end up at South and Forestville just because they have friends already playing there.

Especially if South and Forestville had full time JDO's going to schools, and comps.

The main point is that more kids would be playng basketball and more better athletes would be playing. And basketball would be better off.

What happens if Sturt do it an no one else does, would that be even worse? I would think so.

Reply #320557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My understanding is that Sturt's domestic competition has fallen over or at the very least is not growing. Is that correct??

Reply #320562 | Report this post

not far off  
Years ago

what ever happen to vic basketball being hard and strong in D and the umps letting a bit go

Reply #320563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not far off its not hard vs soft. Thats the SA problem with refereeing in Victoria.

Its smart vs dumb over there.

Reply #320565 | Report this post

Mimas 44  
Years ago

My understanding is that Sturt has 75 U10 Players in the BSA and local Unley competition.

Rather than falling over, I would think that its thriving.

Reply #320571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umpiring in Victoria was brilliant, should bring them over here to umpire

Reply #320572 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Totally disagree with Vic refs being brilliant - my opinion they were terrible this year! So suprised at that as prior to Classics I did hold them in the highest regard! What they called and didn't call changed from qtr to qtr! One minute body was good next it wasn't, no hands then all hands allowed it was just down right confusing! As I said I have always felt they ref the game the way it should but this week has left me wondering what has changed over there!

Reply #320573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why is BSA competing with them out of Pasadena? Also Domestic comps is more than just U10's

Reply #320575 | Report this post

domestic bliss  
Years ago

anon good point, why is BSA competing against the Unley comp? and why is Sturt not supporting the BSA comp? sounds like another Sturt go it alone mentality!!

Reply #320578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once and for all it's not getting kids , it's keeping them. Some very good players move on at 16+ for other sports and in the girls they can't keep them of any quality post 18's. BSA are so busy constructing master plans for associations that they have allowed the district comp to die.
Ask your kids how many hard games a season they play and the answer will be counted on one hand. We don't have a district comp, we have a church comp with a couple of good teams.

Reply #320579 | Report this post

Oberon 94  
Years ago

#547 Never said or indicated it was! Again who cares! and if you were old enough to remember the 70s onwards til now you would find that it has been all shapes and sizes that have been MVPs and that is what makes a succesfull basketball team, team balance and not playing guards in the bigs spot and vice versa.

Reply #320589 | Report this post

Mimas 44  
Years ago

Not too sure, would seem better to have them all at 1 venue.

My understanding is that BSA do not have a competition, but rather about 30 or so of U8 - U18's doing trainings. And that Sturt have 5 U10 teams in district and another 5 U10 teams at Unley. Im sure BSA would not be happy if the district teams were removed and they made less money. Especially considering the district comp isnt very large.

They also have another 7 or 8 teams I think in U12's/14's and 16's. But they dont have enough teams to start a comp at Pasadena. You really need about 6 teams in an age group I would think. Otherwise teams would play each other each week and that would get boring and they would probably quit.

More importantly I believe that Sturt make more money playing at Unley because BSA are unwilling to profit share, and have much higher costs, including match fees and player registration. At least that is what I have been told.

Reply #320593 | Report this post

not far off  
Years ago

i watched sa team get no calls when driving to the basket but if a sa player played good D down the court then if the ball was stolen or lost the ump would call a pushing foul :/

if other times after the game are coming up and staying ' man your team should of one' or 'god why did he call that' i think it was a bit soft watching a sa team Vs a vic team cause every 50 50 call went vics way.

Reply #320604 | Report this post

i think sa teams are not to far off after seeing some games it was a good classics to watch

Reply #320605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'do u know who I am', you're in danger of going blind!

Reply #320622 | Report this post

Mimas 44  
Years ago

Hi Jack,

Obviousy you are busy with you ABA write ups. Just wondering of you have any feedback regarding the above hypothesis?

Your thoughts.

Reply #320624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Response to 'not far off'. Sounds like you blaming the refs for some of your losses?? :) I find it went both ways, we played some SA teams and didn't have any calls, especially when the guards were pushing off on the ball, refs let them play. I did see some poor performances by refs but after each game they were critic-ed by senior officials. Compared to some of the refs we get at our friday night games here in Vic I thought the tournament was decent.

Reply #320672 | Report this post

VicObserver  
Years ago

To responders ...

1. Grammer/grammar - yeah, hit the button too soon !! LOL

2. I watched many Bulleen games

I'm not getting in on the refs debate - just don't go there, that is a normal complaint from any competition or tournament - yawn.

My other general observation is - the SA teams just don't quite get enough of that tough competition at the top.

In looking at results from SA District - your "power" teams seem to only get a few competitive games each season and only when they play each other - the rest of the games are pretty one sided results.

In VJBL we have a similar issue across the Championship division - but at least half way through the season the pools are split into top half and bottom half - so for half the season there are no easy games.

There's nothing like tough close games to keep a team improving and able to play at the very top level (which the Classic certainly is) - I suspect that is one of the elements involved here.

Just a VicObserver's observation ...

Reply #320704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your SA teams didn't seem to have much of an inside game at all. It was all outside. it is a lot easier to score when you hit the ball inside first, defense collapses, you can kick it out to shooters, cutters and open's up driving lanes, if the defense stays single coverage, they go to work in the post. That along with plenty of skills, teaching kids how to finish, transition basketball and tenacious defense, wins basketball games. It's a simple sport, and i didn't see that from SA teams over the classic.

Reply #320730 | Report this post

Slick  
Years ago

Anon above

Very easy to play that sort of game when you have multiple players over 6 foot 5, SA under 18 boys teams struggled with the height, having said that tigers kept Melbourne to 7 points in the last quarter and were even at quarter time, dropped off in the second and that cost them the game. People talking up Sturts chances next year with so many first years, tigers have 5 first years in there team!!

Reply #320750 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Melbourne Tigers 1st, Southern Tigers 13th 3rd out of the SA teams couldnt have been even in contention!!

Reply #320775 | Report this post

Ditry Sturty  
Years ago

How many NBL guys playing currently from Dandenong or Melboure?

Reply #320780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Slick
No, not true
Most of the teams i have been involved with have been quite undersized altogether. And yet we still win games, size is largely a non factor, even the smallest players on the court need to be taught how to post up effectively, in case they do grow, or that game suits them better. EVERY player can post up on ANY player, no matter size, no matter strength, this idea that small people can't post up is what is killing your SA teams. If they're taught to post up effectively, they'll be fine. Same on the boards, teach the kids how to box out to take away their leaping or height advantage, hustle harder then they do. Something i have learnt from coaching basketball, the tallest kids are often the laziest, the ones who are undersized, have to work harder, and if they're taught properly, make better players in the same position.

Reply #320788 | Report this post

Oberon 94  
Years ago

Try telling that to all those lazy Victorian giants that just cleaned up at the classics again. I guess the small undersized kids who make better players in the bigs position must be no good over there, or come to think of it everywhere else in the world, Europe, America, Sth America, Asia.
Must just be Sth Aussie where the guards are brilliant and the bigs are lazy then.
I dont think so.

Reply #320790 | Report this post

imnoballer  
Years ago

OK - my 2 cents worth was put up in another posting on the subject of Classic and as I stated then "not many interstate teams would fair well against the Vics as this years groups that made it are very strong"
Next year may be different but we can all bitch about that when the time comes.

CONGRATULATIONS again to all who participated

overall rating of this years classic - 8.5/10
1.5 deduction for inconsistent reffing

Reply #320793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you read what i said that the undersized players need the correct coaching first, maybe the VIC bigs get better coaching then those undersized players from SA. But undersized players do have to work harder then the massive giants, but it cancels out if they're not correctly taught.

Reply #320798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA -

Not enough venues equals not enough games;
Too many district teams should be 8 per division;
Too many divisions max 4 juniors;
Max 4 teams per club;
Max 1 team per division;
New stadium desperately required.

Reply #320802 | Report this post

Slick  
Years ago

Don't dissagree anon it's just us south aisles don't play against any good 6ft 10 players, the tiger boys matched it in the first quarter but when Melbourne were able to get second looks because of the massive size difference it hurts you. 12 months time maybe some of these first years will be that big then see what happens

Reply #320806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ohhh... we need to teach them to box out???

Reply #320841 | Report this post

Slick  
Years ago

Your a nob head above!

Reply #320858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They need to be taught how to correctly box out players bigger then them yes.

Reply #320860 | Report this post

platypus  
Years ago

Basketball is to a certain extent about talented height, at each stage of the journey to the top. If you are an average size baller, unless you meet every criterion associated with outstanding, you are better directing your talents to a sport, at the elite level, that doesn't require excessive height.

Everyone can play basketball for fun and enjoyment but at the top level athletic height is desirable. The basketball world demands it and you would be hard pressed to find huge number of Mills type success stories.

Junior parents keep referring to first and second years etc , well the sad fact is you never catch up, you play these same kids into the seniors and while boys grow later than girls its a reasonably small percentage that surprise as good coaches spot the key athleticism or traits along the way.

It's inane to argue a tall junior will get a run as guard or a guard a run as a post in anything but training. In most sports your present size determines your position, matched with who else is available.I've never meet a coach who didn't teach boxing out and every game night you see talls who occasionally are forced or advantaged to bring the ball down the court and it's easily recognisable why they don't do it regularly.Parents what are you doing with your gangly tall about their ball skills and how are you helping them? How are they helping themselves?

Ahh the Victorians. Guys it is not their talls so much as it is their size, especially in the girls. Did you run the gauntlet of smoking chimney women that blocked out the sun outside the Classic's stadium? Those, (with respect) wide, heavy jeans busting ladies were the mums of the much feared, much heralded Vic teams. Dainty bodied, attractive girls versus working class eat shit and die girls is not ever going to be a contest. Massive exaggeration but it is body size in juniors, athletic bulk that moves mountains and win titles in juniors.

As they progress, heavier bodies, taller bodies athletic bodies merge to go to the next level. Victoria produce great athletes in every sport and we should be proud of their achievement not jealous they have a bigger population and more to choose from. We should mimic their coaches and develop our skills the best we can. Individual teams will develop from time to time, when the stars align that allow us meagre mortals to knock 'em off at nationals and the like.

Basketball has changes so many things in its journey both on the court and to rules about playing that really haven't worked the way they were intended. To athleticise the sport changes could be made simply to the length of quarters, say 25 minutes a term. It would certainly demand athletes wouldn't it?

Reply #320877 | Report this post

Oberon 94  
Years ago

Amen platypus, well put.

Reply #320982 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Just read this threat and a few comments

Kids to develop at different rates and if more effort was put into developing coaches then we would have a better opportunity at developing more players.

Picking kids early for SASI/ITC programs is just a joke. These kids are usually either tall for age or have bigger body bulk. By 16/18s they are usually not to be seen

Finally too many coaches become obsessed with height or specific players. They see one or two players as the key to their team and build their game around them. The vicious circle begins with those two kids growing in confidence and others not being given a chance or indeed not even notice.

The coach that did not notice his big man not getting the ball, probably did not notice what other kids were doing either (unless they were the select few).

Reply #321143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Platypus - many small time junior coaches suffer the same syndrome you do and invest time (that is court time only not training, as they cant teach skill)on the big and bulky only to see their demise in later years. eg. U18 Girls bulkiest teams in classic were Norwood, Sturt, Sydney.

Oberon - one eighty something Kyrie Irving was No1 draft pick in NBA few hours ago mate.

Reply #321576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

576, comprehension is not your strong point is it....

Reply #321619 | Report this post

Dandy - Nong  
Years ago

give credit to the mavs u16 girls only interstate team to medal (silver)congratulations from an outside vic observer, very professional as well.

Reply #324710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Incorrect. A NSW U/18 boys team also won silver.

(btw - NO-ONE believes you aren't anything other than a Mavs person either. Pretending to be from somewhere else to talk yourself up? LAME!)

Reply #324714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

incorrect - 714 I was just looking at the results for girls thus far so ease up there tiger, no need to be so jumpy, merely observing, yes i was also there watching but as a worker for dandenong shire who is a keen follower every year of the tournanment. Only an ass assumes

Reply #324719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure,

No I really believe someone who's name changes from Dand - nong to anonomous.

Reply #324733 | Report this post

Pug 43  
Years ago

I thought the post(#719) said only an "ass" assumes #733 you obviously don't get it.
I read it as a well intentioned post from a supporter of bball, not from someone pretending to be what they are not. I think #733 you may have a small complex, or small something!

Reply #324734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Posting again pretending to be someone else after you've been sprung, but forgetting to type in your fake name?

Also LAME!

Just admit it Dande-no errr I mean anonymous. You got busted.

Reply #324747 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

FWIW, Dandy-nong, '719 and Pug all same IP. Too busy right now to check whether they posted from the same device.

Reply #324769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol.

We are not suprised.

Reply #324773 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Having 3 identities-- Does that mean you're Trisexual or Tripolar?

Reply #324775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol,

I doubt that hill billy's understand that a computer can be tract through its IP address.

So Mavs.

Gold

Reply #324777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol,

I doubt that hill billy's understand that a computer can be tract through its IP address.

So Mavs.

Gold

Reply #324778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol,

So Mavs.

Gold

Reply #324779 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:45 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754