Jack Toft
Years ago

R12 ABA Action

Eastern v Sturt @ ADRC
Women: BSA have just rushed through an ABA by-law stating that once a team gets 20 points ahead, they must use their non-preferred hand. Sturt might be dribbling with their left by quarter time.
Men: Last time they met, Eastern rolled Sturt at Pasadena by 2 in what looked like was going to be their best season since 2004. Since then, they seem to have gone from a pack of Dobermans to a pack of Daschunds with a 5 game loosing streak only broken last Sunday against Southern. Sturt have not dominated this season, but seem to be peaking at the right time. Whilst the Mavs seem to have their mojo back after the Tigers win, Sturt will take advantage of their generosity in defence like a teenager with Dad's sports car and a tank full of petrol.

Norwood v Tigers @ Mars
Women: Norwood’s un-beaten run looks like it may not be broken this week. But, the longer their run goes, the closer they are to a loss.
Men: Brad seems to have polished the Norwood boys this year into the "Terror Team". Last time these teams met, Tigers shot under 20% and a paltry 1 from 18 from the arc. Tonight, the best the Tigers can hope for when they are strapped into the tower of terror ride, is that the wiring at Mars has been eaten through by the rats (the four legged ones of course) and the game is called a nil all draw.

Lions v Bearcats @ Starplex
Women: The Lionesses allowed poor shooting to let them down against South. You won’t win games shooting 19% and that alone is the reason they tumbled to 6th spot and didn't cement themselves a well deserved top 5 spot. Bearcats have been the quiet achievers without much fanfare and have positioned themselves well in the top 3. The Lionesses have come far this season but West are quality opposition and hunting the savannah will be hard for the Lionesses this week.
Men: Lions were up by 3 at half time last week, but they need to work hard in all quarters to snare a win. The Bearcats were without Dowdell last weekend, but won a tight one in OT against Mavs, then seemed to run out of legs in the 4th against Eagles on the Sunday after being up at 3 Qtr time. West with everything to lose in the second half of the draw and the Lions join the Tigers in being the bogie team that could upset finals contenders.

Eagles v Warriors @ Wayville
Women: The Eagles with Borrego seem to have added an extra dimension. Unfortunately for Warriors fans that means their girls will be in more trouble than Qantas passengers at Adelaide airport after an ash cloud. Borrego and her bobsled team might be dribbling left hand by qtr time as well.
Men: Eagles have been all over their opponents with the Forestville Rash. Woodville have collected some scalps, but no big ones to show they are serious contenders for a top 5 spot. A Woodville win tonight would see higher than normal rioting levels in the western suburbs. Sadly for them, I can’t see them bringing enough ointment for the Rash.

North v South @ Hillcrest
Women: North are 1 from 6 at home, but 4 from 5 away. They have played a lot of quality competiton at home, but has the tide of luck turned for South after 3 wins in a row? I am calling this the women’s MOTR as it should be tighter than a rashie on a fat kid. North won by 11 last time, but South have the momentum. I reckon the men’s game might be a little late with an OT period likely.
Men: The Carter effect might just hit North hard this round. DJ “went Rambo” last weekend scoring 60 points and snatched 36 boards over 2 games. If a Colonel from Fort Bragg turns up to the game and DJ wears a headband and starts talking in-coherently, have a supply of body bags on hand. This one could go either way as Tracey knows the game of the South superstars and I suspect she has a cunning plan. If her plan goes well, North hold their spot in the 5, if not, then South will oust them like squatter.

Topic #25748 | Report this topic

The Answer  
Years ago

I hope it was 5 game losing streak, not a loosing streak.

"tighter than a rashie on a fat kid"...LMAO, classic Jack Gold.

Reply #321296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South now minus Creek again, can't see North dropping this one. York knows too much about DJ's game for him to be super-effective offensively. Still predicting 20 & 20 for DJ (due to Norths lack of size except for Brine), but it wont be enough.

Reply #321300 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

west will win for sure

Reply #321368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

these are banal reports

Reply #321385 | Report this post

rock  
Years ago

Thanks again Jack for keeping me up with home ABL. No basketball in Prague.
I still don't get why 'Anonymous 1' is always so negative. Is life so bad?
Cheers from a warmer climate

Reply #321417 | Report this post

Trigger  
Years ago

Banal!
Jack's the only one promoting local basketball and he does it in a way that stirs the pot a bit to get more discussion going. Some jokes may be a little lame but at least every Thursday I have something to read. Where's Boti? and where's the official Woite write up?

If you can do better than Jack, have a go!

(are you just annoyed because he has more than likely paid you out)

Reply #321436 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Great write up Jack! had quite a chuckle!

"Borrego and her bobsled team"

"tighter than a rashie on a fat kid"

Brilliant!

Reply #321626 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

Nice call on Centrals upsetting West. They won by 3 I think.

Sturt women with a win over mavericks by 7, after winning by 60 odd last time.

Sturt men up by 20 at half time holding the mavs to 25 points, then Hill put on a show scoring 18 3rd quarter points to come back. Sturt steadied the ship and won by 10.

Reply #321710 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Just wondering when this thread will degenerate into a slogging match over junior development?

Reply #321714 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Southern girls gave Norwood a bit of a scare last night, getting to within 3 during the 3rd quarter, before the Lady Flames got their act together.

No Simon last night, Brenton had some interestingly different rotation choices, also forced by illness to Payne (who still suited but DNP) and Herrick also seemed to sit quite a lot of the game. Lisa Ackroyd was taken to hospital via ambulance after dislocating a shoulder late in the game, and Deanna Troia also rushing off to the changerooms after a blow to the nose.

Men's game was a clinic, Brad able to give his bench players a lot of extended court time. Krause top scored for the night, and even dished off 2 assists (career high??). Only entertainment of the game was Marcus Robinson (#10 Southern) and Jack Jennings (#15) Eastern getting into it a couple of times, otherwise the traffic was as one way as the Southern Expressway!

Reply #321716 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Jack, as soon as someone mentions South or Woodville women's results, it should be on. Hang tight.

Reply #321717 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

West Men looked tired.
Only 6 players used by west - Braithwaite was on bench but wasn't playing?
Kollasch had a night out.

Reply #321718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard Braithwaite was on the bench cause someone mucked up the score sheet and didn't have his name down, so the score bench denied him of playing even though he plays every week. The refs asked the opposition coach if he could be put on the sheet and he said no.... Scott that's the most unlike sportsmanship Iv ever seen from a coach... I felt embarrassed to be a centrals supporter! Good on Braithwaite for holding his head high and cheering on his team.

Reply #321725 | Report this post

Money bags  
Years ago

I think you will find the referee was so scared to make a decision they threw the decision to scott, pathetic. The rule says he doesn't play not the opposition coach, maybe when belly signs the score sheet next time he will check there are 12 on the list and not 11, not centrals problem, pretty sure they won't miss ya if you stop coming if you are that embarrassed.

Reply #321726 | Report this post

Slipnot  
Years ago

That's the gayest rule Iv ever heard of!

Reply #321727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, ABL is not juniors. If the playesr name is not on the scoresheet @ the start of the game, they cannot play, period.

There are 2 checks done to the scoresheet under article 7 of the FIBA rule book. 20 mins before the game the scoresheet is filled out by both teams.

10 mins before the coach is asked to mark the starting five on the sheet. This is when he should be making sure his team list is correct.

The onus is on west Adelaide to fill out the scoresheet correctly. Scott was well within his rights to refuse the request.

For the record, I am not affiliated with either team, thems the rules!

Reply #321729 | Report this post

Hardyard  
Years ago

Anyone know how Tigers went?

Reply #321730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wrong anon

west didnt only use 6 players

Reply #321734 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

So why was braithwate allowed to be subbed on in the first quarter???
It only became an issue once he scored a lay up?? WTF

Scott did look like a bad sport for not allowing him to continue to play, I don't care who you cheer for.
- but the ref shouldn't of made scott make the call
- and the score table shouldn't of let him sub in
- and west coaches should of checked the sheet

Sounds like more than one person stuffed up here...

Would him playing have effected the final result? Who knows.
But you gotta love home court advantage!!!

Reply #321735 | Report this post

Money bags  
Years ago

Certainly not scott's decision to make. Poor officiating

Reply #321737 | Report this post

Slipnot  
Years ago

Well said Anon. And yes Scott was a bad sport ... The ref gave him the final decision.

Reply #321738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If West dont have faith in thier juniors why keep suiting them up ? they used 7 out of 11 players on the night, Maybe if they put one of thier juniors on even for a few mins at the end of a quater you never know they might supprise you ....

Reply #321739 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Yes the refs should have made the call, in conjunction with the score table chair, who should have (or did they) bring it to the attention of the refs.

Not sure why people think it is bad sportsmanship by Scott to make sure the rules are applied.

The scoretable chair, who calls the subs does not have a scoresheet in front of them, so they would not have known that he wasnt on the sheet. It would only be when he scored the layup, and the scorer and stats bench would not have had him on the sheet/in the system that the discrepancy would have been found.

Reply #321741 | Report this post

peanuts  
Years ago

Where was the ref incharge at the west and centrals game?

Reply #321742 | Report this post

Money bags  
Years ago

Pity the ref didn't just let scott ref the entire game, sing the anthem and cook the aftergame food , why even send refs if they are not going to rule on the laws of the game

Reply #321743 | Report this post

cool  
Years ago

I thought the ref incharge that sits with the fans would have come over to the score bench and made the final decision for the refs as clearly they did not know what to do, which sounds like the case. The coaches should of been told what the decision was, NOT asked if it was ok as rules are rules.

Reply #321745 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

The Answer, maybe less rotations rather than different ones? Looks like Foley and Ireland played a lot of minutes.

Reply #321750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cool, there is no ref in charge at ABL games. They are referee coaches who are there for feedback only, they make no decisions about the game in any way.

Reply #321759 | Report this post

rocketman  
Years ago

Had to laugh at the North - South game last night. Johnson decided to have a hissy fit after a foul wasn't called - twice- and sat in the key and 'rested' while his 'team mates' were left to play 4 on 5. It looks like another long season for the sixers if he is the great hope.

Reply #321761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe the answer wants his job back

Reply #321762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any1 know how thte South Adelaide men and women went last night? cheers!

Reply #321763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or results for norwood?

Reply #321765 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Yes Johnson's body language left alot to be desired last night - it was pretty bad! Couldn't believe he decided to 'sit' in the offensive keyway to protest the refs no call!

Reply #321768 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Anon, Norwood results are on the Central ABL page, they were webcast last night. Click on the webcast links, and view the game.

Reply #321776 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

rocketman, DJ had something like 34 and 16 and you want to say he will be no good for the Sixers next season because he didn't like a couple of calls lol you idiot! In the majority of the games there is several times he is hacked and if he was anyone else there would be a foul called but he just has to put up with it as the umpires seem to have different rules on what is a foul against him. So I can understand why he acted like he did.

Reply #321780 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

His stats bar turnovers were pretty good but at times he looked disinterested and was even yawning on defense?

Reply #321781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ got hacked big time on Saturday night. Yes he had 9 turnovers but would be nice if he get a call.

If the refs are going to treat 36ers players different to the refs with these foul calls they probably won't play next year.

Reply #321789 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

DJ yawning and looking disinterested is just how he is. Its obviously different and not very motivating but is just the way he is but I agree it is very strange to see.

I also agree players of his quality will not want to play in the local leagues if umpires treat them differently.

Reply #321790 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Treat them differently,please.

They don't need the free ride they get as it is...

Reply #321791 | Report this post

KW  
Years ago

Whitmore did the right thing from what I can see. Left it to the umpires to decide.

Not his decision to make & even if he did want the West player to play or not play it is out of his hands.

Rule is clear & simple & he should not have had any say, which he didn't.

I thought the bar at Starplex on court 2 was standing room only until a chair appeared in it last night from court 1...

Reply #321792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a load of nonsense DJ, these Sixer guys sometimes would need to lose a limb before they get a call.

Reply #321804 | Report this post

justplaythegame  
Years ago

Reply #321789

re: R12 ABA Action

DJ got hacked big time on Saturday night. Yes he had 9 turnovers but would be nice if he get a call.

If the refs are going to treat 36ers players different to the refs with these foul calls they probably won't play next year.

What a joke got hacked my a.. ....What about the times he pushed and even swung at another player who stopped him on a rebound ...If you want to dish it out be ready to get some back,and sticking your finger up at the reff will not help ......

Reply #321807 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Sixers players do get a special ride no doubt about that - Refs seem to be intimidate by their presence -
bad feedback at this level can hurt

Reply #321811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What made the Starplex situation even worse was the fact that there was not even a referee coach at the stadium to intervene. But I guess that's most weeks for Centrals fans.

Reply #321813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a load of shit about the sixers players getting a free ride. Very subjective glasses some of these people are watching the game through.

Reply #321814 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I wouldn't want to be the West Team Manager at the moment.

Reply #321823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree jack... Yeh she owes the player a cartoon of beer or two I say!

Reply #321834 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It's definitely a slab or two in the beer economy....

Reply #321836 | Report this post

Ariel 53  
Years ago

As much the coaches fault. The coach has to sign off on the score sheet.

Reply #321847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeh Belly messed up big time! And they lost which makes it worse. Not a good round for West at all!

Reply #321869 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Scott Whitmore is being made the scape goat here and it is not and never was his call.
Fact: West coach signed off on the score sheet to say his team was correct.
Fact: Wasn't till the illegal player took the court and play had already resumed that both the bench and stats stared asking who number 11 was.
Fact: At the first break in play, chairperson stops the game and informs referee that there is a player on the court not on the score sheet.
Fact: Referee approaches Scott Whitmore who walks way saying "not my decision".
Fact: Referee and chairperson deem player cannot play under FIBA rules.
Fact: West coach very luckly for not being Teched when he launches kick into subsitute chair and sends it flying.
Fact: If West player had been allowed to play, West would have still forfeited the game under FIBA rules.
Fact: If you claim to be a Centrals supporter and are embarassed by Scott's action, do us a favour and go support another team.
Fact: Scott should never have been placed in that position and he DID NOT make the final decision.
Fact: How do I know, I was close enough to hear it all.

Reply #321904 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

A bit like Norwood v West women's game when Norwood had players in two different uniforms. No-one was capable of making a decision that night either. Is it the elite competition in the state or just mickey mouse?

Reply #321907 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Cheers for the facts Anon. It isn't a school basketball game it is a professional basketball game and rules apply.

Reply #321909 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Definately falls on Coach Bell as he sighted the scoresheet last and it is his responsibility to check all 12 names not just his starting 5.

Maybe West shouldn't be putting so much on a single volunteer having to manage both ABL Mens and Womens teams one after the other on game night! Must be a tough gig!

Reply #321923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under fiba rules norwood should forfeit their points

Reply #321932 | Report this post

Stat  
Years ago

Reply #321942 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

But maybe it was all West Adelaide's fault for not developing their juniors!!

(Sorry, couldn't help myself any longer!)

Reply #322023 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

More importantly, I'm told the game was close. Did the layup by the "offending" West player count? Was a tech foul issued? If the layup was cancelled and a tech issued, then there's the margin.

Reply #322050 | Report this post

Years ago

why would there be a tech issued Moses, not in the rules, play is removed from court and not to play any further part. score should count, much like if some one from team a scores in team b's basket, it gets awarded to captain.

per the rules, the managers on tournament organisers are responsible for filling in the sheet or printing out the sheet like at nationals. The coach, and only the coach has the responsiblity of marking the starters, making sure the captain is marked, and importantly checking that all players are listed, BEFORE they sign the scoresheet against there name that it is a true and correct record of their team.

If Joe Bloggs is down as Joe Blaggs easy enough to change. If Joe Bloggs normally wears 5 and James bloggs normally wears 6 and they are reversed easy enough to change. If Joe Bloggs and James Bloggs play in the same team and Joe Bloggs and not James is named only Joe can play. If the coach realises James is not on the scoresheet as he checks marks the starters it can be added. Can not be added at ABL, NBL, WNBL, National championships or International games. Juniors is a different kettle of fish as they play under BSA by laws.

Reply #322060 | Report this post

Money bags  
Years ago

Points counted and were awarded to the captain

Reply #322063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moses- Why on earth would a tech foul be awarded? The player obviously had no idea he wasnt on the sheet! Wasn't his fault!

Reply #322088 | Report this post

Rabbit27  
Years ago

Whats done is done with the centrals game, west will just have to learn by their mistakes. As for the sixer guys hard done by the refs is a joke. Most players will tell u that they always get looked after and that every other player gets screwed. Every one notices the missed calls on sixer players cause people r focusing more on them more. The refs have been terrible so far. The current sixer guys arent like the sixer guys of old because until they start to be a better team in the nbl no one should think they should get any special treatment in the abl. Umpires just need to call it as they see regardless of whos involved.

Reply #322091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

most coaches will tell you that when they get the scoresheet a few minutes before the game, all they do is tick off the starters.
Braithwaite wasnt a starter in that game so its a bit rough to expect coach to pick it up then when their minds tend to be on other things anyway.
Was a mess up all round.
Big deal
Move on.

Reply #322092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wrong coaches get the score sheet ten minutes before the game and they are responsible for checking their team as per the rules.

Reply #322106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rabbit27,

Mate, the sixers guys shouldn't get special treatment but just fair treatment. Just because they are 36ers they are allowed to get hacked on every possesion?

Reply #322110 | Report this post

Rabit27  
Years ago

As i said in my post, the umpirers should just call it as they see it regardless of who it is. Alot of players are getting hacked not just 6er players. Spectators are focusing on the nbl guys so it looks like they are more hard done by, but their not.

Reply #322190 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:08 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754