Isaac
Years ago

Kendall: From Boomer to unsigned?

Had forgotten all about Luke Kendall until I saw him in a SEABL boxscore. I think he's rated a five on the points scale which is very reasonable so you have to marvel at the guy going from Boomers squad to unsigned at this point in the off-season while Bruce, Crosswell, Robbins, etc have contracts.

Any team in the NBL still need a PG?

Topic #25921 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is no where near as good now as he was in his prime years. His decline has been very swift ufortunately, used to be Mr Big shot come crunch time.

Reply #324377 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I know he's dropped off a bit, but completely unemployable at NBL level? Is the phone ringing and he's just asking too much, or is no club interested? It can't be that he isn't able to relocate as he played for the Blaze, is at Nunawading in the SEABL, was at Sydney, trained with the Hawks, etc.

Reply #324386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Townsville need a reserve point guard but they also need youth. Unlikely there.

Cairns seem to be sold on Kerry Williams, Cats are settled and he's been there. Gleeson won't want him in Melbourne, Sydney are set, Breakers look set even without Henare, Adelaide have an import and Crosswell
Blaze have young Jason Cadee and Wollongong have Martin who is not that good anyway.

Reply #324387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams' back up point guards:
Adelaide- Crosswell
Cairns- Williams
Gold Coast- Cadee
Melbourne- Corletto/Dillon?
New Zealand- Yet to be signed import
Perth- Robbins
Sydney- Cooper
Townsville- Cedar/Robertson/Maynard being looked at
Wollongong- Martin

No room for him, and if anyone saw him last year, they would know he's not up to it anymore.

Reply #324390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He lived with Worthington when he was at the Gold Coast so he didnt have much to pay.

He plays for Nunawading which isnt too far from where he is from (kilsyth). Probably living with parents...maybe.

He is only getting 14 points a game. Id say Shane McDonald for Nunawading would have more chance of being signed as a PG in the NBL.

Reply #324395 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kendall got a gig last year whereas McDonald hasn't played in the NBL since Singapore, right?

Reply #324396 | Report this post

rog  
Years ago

did kendall represent the boomers in a full strength team?

Could the same be said about Jacob Holmes? He played in the boomers team that travelled china a couple years ago I think? Though it wasnt a full strength boomers team, he now too finds himself without NBL employment.

Reply #324397 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Kendall played in top-level competition, not just qualifying or touring? Wasn't he involved in a serious turnover against Greece or was that Barlow?

Does Kendall have a partner? Holmes would be reluctant to take interstate gigs and uproot his wife, whereas a gig in Sweden or similar would have a novelty/experience aspect. Would suit Townsville otherwise.

Reply #324398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both Kevin and Brian Goorjian got the best out of him. Hasn't been able to play well for any other coach. Hard worker and developed his skills, but probably not the smartest or athletically gifted player around. Lucky to make a Boomers team IMO. NBL days are finished.

Reply #324400 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

He played at the commonwealth games, but can't recall playing in a WC or Olympics

Reply #324401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely went to the world champs in 2006 and Barlow was the one with that turnover against Greece. But he was one of the main guys on the Commonwealth Games team in Melbourne a few years ago. Bit of a stretch to call him a hard worker if you just take a look at his body the last few years.

Reply #324402 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Kendall sucks.

Watched him in a handful of Blaze games. Decision-making very poor in terms of shot selection, and actual shooting also sub-standard. Not a playmaker either.

Reply #324404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kendall played at the '06 World Champs and the mickey mouse '06 Commonwealth Games. He was the last player cut for the '08 Olympic Games team.

At the '06 FIBA World Champs in Japan he averaged 3.3ppg, 1rpg, 1apg shooting 31.8% from the field and 29.4% on 3pts.

The '06 WC team was:

Andrew Bogut, CJ Bruton, Jason Smith, Brad Newley, Sam MacKinnon, Mark Worthington, David Barlow, Aaron Bruce, Luke Kendall, Wade Helliwell, Daniel Kickert and Russell Hinder.

We finished 16th.

Kickert in 8mpg averaged 2.2ppg, 1rpg shot 33% (4-12) from the field and 20% (1-5) on 3pts.

Reply #324405 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Each year, a number of players retire (Ronaldson) or are at the bench end and just don't keep a contract (think someone like Behrendorff, or someone with a shorter career like that Fitzgerald guy at the Slingers) - I wonder how many though go so quickly from starter or early sub to out of the league completely?

Cullen was one. Rice maybe. Travis Lane was done pretty quickly.

Is Kendall a much worse prospect than Kelvin Robertson, for example?

Reply #324406 | Report this post

Some I can remember who slipped very quickly while still relativly young. Starters who were reasonable scorers and within a year or 2 gone from the league. Greg Hubbard, Justin Withers. Of course how could I forget the youngster who went from playing 20-25 mins a game. SOJ.

Reply #324412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kendall is a superb shooter, very eratic but had a x-factor style of play that can be a big difference, but has lost a lot of his quickness since that ACL tearing i think it was a couple of years ago, real sad really. Seems like he's prob best to being a SG nowadays.

Reply #324413 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

McDonald played briefly for Perth the year after Singapore withdrew (09?).

I think Kendall just hasnt got his fitness to a good level while he hasnt had a contract, so when he gets signed up he struggles. If what I have heard is true, he also erred by knocking back some low $ offers. Taking those and playing well would have put his market value back up again.

Reply #324418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few years ago Kendall was supposedly going to go and play in England due to having British ancestry but never eventuated I think.

His basketball career seemed to disappear into oblivion the moment the Kings folded and he got cut from the Boomers.

Since then he's had stints with Perth, Melbourne, Sydney (again) and Gold Coast amongst periods of being out of the league.

Reply #324428 | Report this post

Several NBL teams have been interested in McDonald over the last couple of the years but word is he has put his working career in Melbourne first .

Seems a sensible decision - but do not be surprised to see him in the NBL again if a second team from Melbourne joins the league.

Reply #324480 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Kendall has a rep for being a bit of a tool. Hence the little interest.

Reply #324488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kendall is still serviceable
just needs to control his turnovers.

Reply #324519 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Kendall will end up back in the Big V state league within 2 years as he is in decline.

Not sure if it's a body/fitness issue or a confidence issue but even over this SEABL season he is progressivly getting worse!

He'll end up at Sherbrooke with his Brother by season 2013 would be my tip!

Reply #324520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His turnovers are 2 pg. He's the 3rd top scorer in the very clear leader of the South Conference Nunawading Spectres.
Oh no one mentioned the 2 knee surgeries he's had.
Maybe a few of the ex[erts here can do a better job.
Still can shoot the shit out of the ball.

Reply #324522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From memory, at least when he was based in Sydney and even in the year of The Spirit, Kendall had a SUPER HOT gf, which might have explained why he was still in Sydney around that time...

Unfortunately for Kendall, I think in his time off after his injury he never really worked all that hard to come back which made it harder for him, and the extended break was because he was still rated as a 7pt player I think and had much higher expectations of what he should be paid, and clubs didn't bite...

Having a negative impact in Perth and then not much of one in his hometown with the Tigers didn't do much for his reputation either...

His one game stint with the Kings last season before being cut in favour of a kid who barely got any DP minutes under Bevo was not good either, and getting a job with his mate Wortho at the Blaze where he didn't have much of an impact either really did him no favours as well...

It doesn't help that he HAS been injured and it's always hard to come back from that, but you compare him to someone like Kelvin Robertson who has been working his arse off to recover and get back into the NBL, and I know who most coaches would rather on their team...

Reply #324523 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I guess it'd come down to how much he wants to play basketball or whether he has something else on the go. He's an '81, so still has a few years left if he wants them but he'd have to get back in shape and work hard to get noticed by teams.

I can only assume that he has an active agent? His australiabasket profile doesn't list one.

Reply #324534 | Report this post

Kendall is in pretty good form - and he still shoots the ball well. He can be a bit erratic but is still exciting on the court - he runs hard and fast and Kendall is one of the few players who still are prepared to scrap on the floor !

Go watch him play with the Spectres before making too many judgements - certainly coach Biwer is getting a lot of good stuff out of him as an experienced combo guard this SEABL season.

Reply #324590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word is that the players there are playing for free as well.
Spectres are certainly streets ahead of anyone else in ther SEABL and Kendall is an integral part of that.

Reply #324655 | Report this post

Dud  
Years ago

As is having an all-star SEABL roster that includes Chris Cameron, Simon Conn, Eric Williams (import), Luke Kendall, Shane McDonals and Darren Smith. A bit of NBL experience on that team.

Reply #324684 | Report this post

Tiger watcher  
Years ago

They aren't playing for free!!!

Reply #324691 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I was wondering a similar thing for Lindsay Tait, sure he didnt have the greatest season for the Taipans but did have limited opportunity due to injury, but always seems to do well playing NZBL and for the Tallblacks but hasnt been able to have a long term, full time position in the NBL, even though he has had some good seasons, from memory he averaged good numbers for the Hawks a few years ago.
Anyone know if anyone will pick him up this year?

Reply #324695 | Report this post

SixerFan  
Years ago

Kendall, McDonald, Smith, Conn, Cameron, Williams (import), Hicks all playing for free at Nunawading.

Oh yeah and WWE is real.

Reply #324697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They were gettting paid and haven't been paid for 2 mnths. season is all but over and they are top of the ladder, finals.
Broke.

Reply #324700 | Report this post

Tiger watcher  
Years ago

Funny I'd heard the same thing re the money!!! They still keep playing thou... So I guess they want a championship pretty bad!

Reply #324781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange tiggerwatcher said this yesterday,
Yesterday
19:21 26 Jul 11
Reply #324691
re: Kendall: From Boomer to unsigned?

They aren't playing for free!!!
Witch is it?

Reply #324795 | Report this post

SixerFan  
Years ago

They are playing for the love of the game and the club...
ha...haha...hahahahahahahahaha....

Reply #324797 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Townsville announcing their last spot tomorrow and have been working out Kendall. He may not be unsigned much longer. If it is him, I hope he gets back to his best form and has a good year.

Too good a player to be on the scrap heap.

Reply #324805 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:34 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754