Hugh Greenwood, AIS
Luke Nevill, Triumph Lyubertsy, Russia
Luke Schenscher, Townsville Crocodiles
Nate Tomlinson, University of Colorado, USA
Cameron Tragardh, Melbourne Tigers
Jesse Wagstaff, Perth Wildcats
Stephen Weigh, Adelaide 36ers
Mark Worthington, Gold Coast Blaze

Very sorry to the person who was hoping Crawford wouldn't make it! Congrats to Schensch and Weigh especially. Quite a few young kids in there!

Anyone want to put it into a bit of a depth chart? Tomlinson is a point guard, right?

'Golden Star’ Boomers 2011 International Schedule

1 Aug Stankovic Cup vs. Russia - Haining, China
2 Aug Stankovic Cup vs. Angola - Haining, China
3 Aug Stankovic Cup vs. China - Haniing, China
4 Aug Stankovic Cup (FINAL) vs. Opponent TBC - Haining, China

8 – 12 Aug Training Camp - Gold Coast

16 Aug Olympic Test Event vs. China - London, England
17 Aug Olympic Test Event vs. France - London, England
18 Aug Olympic Test Event vs. Croatia - London, England
20 Aug Olympic Test Event vs. Serbia - London, England
21 Aug Olympic Test Event vs. Great Britain - London, England

25 Aug International Friendly vs. Spain – Murcia, Spain
26 Aug International Friendly vs. Spain – Valencia, Spain

3 – 6 Sept Training Camp - Melbourne

7 Sept 2011 FIBA Oceania Championship for Men (vs. NZ) – Game 1, Melbourne
9 Sept 2011 FIBA Oceania Championship for Men (vs. NZ) – Game 2, Brisbane
11 Sept 2011 FIBA Oceania Championship for Men (vs. NZ) – Game 3, Sydney

Topic #25969 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

where is jawai?

Reply #324949 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Dissappointed the main guys are sitting out this tour like Newley, Ingles and Mills. Surely they are itching to play and it would be better to gel a team over a number of games rather than finalise the squad late in the preparation process and only give them about 5 games together?

Reply #324951 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Gibson get the nod over Martin?

Reply #324956 | Report this post

tendai mzungu  
Years ago

martin is injured

Reply #324959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the tournament being televised on One HD or Fox Sports?

Reply #324963 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Tomlinson is a PG in what is a very young team overall

Reply #324973 | Report this post

I dont get it. We are preparing for the most important series outside of the W/C's and the Olympics (which we may well not make if we loose to the Kiwis) and we use most of the warm up games blooding a bunch of kids who may or may not be future Boomers. Get the studs who are not injured arses into the team.
I dont see Penney resting from the Tall Blacks tour

Reply #324979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like they are trying to work out the fringe spots for qualifiers by leaving out Newley, Ingles, Barlow, etc.

IMO the depth chart would be the following, however I would have rather had Greenwood run PG and Drmic SG but they have gone PG heavy.

Nevill/Schenscher
Worthington/Wagstaff/Tragardh
Weigh/Drmic
Crawford/Greenwood
Dellavedova/Gibson/Tomlinson

Great chance for Greenwood, Dellavedova and Drmic to see if they are up to International level and if not likely to default to Crawford, Weigh and Gibson as the safer options for fringe players in the full strength team.

Tragardh to be the smokey to make the final team. could play PF/C in the international game with the ability to run small and step out to 3pt range. Could land as the 5th big in the team if other don't play (Bogut, Anderson, Jawai, Maric, etc). IMO would be competing against Daniel Kickert/Jesse Wagstaff

Reply #324984 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

What a team and future for BA. I do not think that coaches do know their job. Shame that some guys were selected on the friends connection. BROWN?

Reply #324986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL Trigger can't hit threes and Delly wouldn't start ahead of Gibson..

Reply #324987 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I quite like the team for this tour, just would like to see Davidson in over Tragardh, that one baffles me.

This squad gives all these fringe guys the chance to really show what theyre made of against decent opposition. It also means they will have a better knowledge of the system that guys like Mills, Newley etc already know.

Probably Ogilvy should be playing in this team for that reason but he is obviously seen as a definite. Add him to Mills, Martin, Newley, Ingles, Barlow and Nielsen and there are probably 5 spots available for this group.

Gibson apparently had a strong camp so hard to see him missing. What's the deal with Markovic?

Reply #324988 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

By the way, I am assuming this team is only for China, and the main guys are going on the European tour?? If not, then I dont like the idea at all!

Reply #324989 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Some people may call me crazy, but IMHO I don't think it matters whether Delly or Gibson start.
I actually rate Delly over Gibson.

Gibson hasn't really improved as much as I would have liked over these past 2-3 years.

I remember Delly more than held his own for the Boomers in the past--namely the Stankovic Cup and the Oceania Series.

Reply #324990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does Dellavedova do better than Gibson? I can't think of anything...

Reply #324991 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

This Stankovic Cup will be a much higher standard than the last one, which was an after thought on the international calendar. This year's event is part of preparations for teams' Olympic qualifying series.

Reply #324992 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

#991,
Delly is a much more consistent shooter, has superior size(by about 3 inches) and can control tempo better than Gibson.

But like I said, your not going to lose much starting one over the other. Both are pretty similar in that they are very good shooters, smart players and very good defenders (i.e. They defend the whole 90 feet up the court).

I just think that Gibson is slightly overrated. Delly continues to bridge the gap between the two, but then again I contend that there is no gap (that they're on equal footing)

Reply #324998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think people underrate the NBL, and overrate college and European comps.

Reply #325007 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

agree Anon

Reply #325012 | Report this post

J509  
Years ago

I agree anonm, thjis is a sheer killing field for imports... some even with NBA experience arent getting it done here. the NBL is a solid league, just unspectacular is all...

Reply #325018 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

J509, with guys like Abercrombie and Lucas walker and Mitch Creek, the NBL will keep getting better

Reply #325022 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

True Mystro... if they stay. My guess is that at least two out of those three will have left for greener pastures within two years.

Reply #325031 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

as long as they come back and bring an even more improved game and can also raise the profile of the NBL globally, that is not an entirely bad thing.

Reply #325034 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Agreed

Reply #325035 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agreed x 2. Great promotion for young basketballers to see what is possible. It is good for our guys to graduate to Spanish and Euroleague clubs.

What is sometimes forgotten is that the very top European clubs steal players from the majority of other European clubs, just like from the NBL but in much greater proportions.

Reply #325047 | Report this post

J509  
Years ago

Im not a fan of schensher, Nevill or crawford on this team. I dont see why Ingles, Barlow, Newley, and all the other far better guards arent playing. however, in regards to big men... sure, yes... weve lost most of our ghood ones so mabybe in this circumstance having schensher there is forgivable.. but I have only ever seen Nevill be completely useless.. whats so special about steven weigh that he is even on the squad? wheres Anatoly Bose who actually had a decent tournament last time? I know Greenwood and Delladova looked pretty good last time I saw them play, Ive never seen Drmic or Tomlinson to really determine that one... but I guess we can only hope all these young gunms come as good as advertised or were gonna be humiliated in the stankovic cup. Its a godsend Wortho and Gibson are there, too guys who by now aqre use to the international game.. I find Tragardh to be an interesting choice however, he could either be really effective internationally... or really shit. guess time will tell...

So, who will be in the ACTUAL team who plays NZ?

Mills
Newley
Barlow
Neilson
Ogilvy?

Gibson
Ingles
Worthington
Neilson?

they havent seriously sent out a completely experimental team on the basis of open positions when we could be doing some serious training for this series have they? Stupidity I think. especially when the kids with the most potential on the team are in opositions that are well and truly already spoken for on the team, with little wriggle room.

Reply #325048 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw, looks like Clarke could do a little bit 36ers
after China , maybe , see how tean tryouts went.
After Spain, see if new import is here.
I wondered how .

Anyways , hope they take Nielsen to London.

Reply #325061 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

NZ will beat Aussies and will be tough for Brown to make OG. We need European coaches down under if need to progress to higher level. NBL is very ugly to watch to robotic and non atractiv.

Reply #325063 | Report this post

hurley509  
Years ago

NZ will be a handful, they always play beyond there man for man talent against us. while on paper they dont have the kind of talent we should have for the series (newley, ingles, neilson, barlow.. etc) they certainly will take it to us, and one thing the boomers lack against NZ sometimes is a bit of guts! sometimes they play like show ponys against NZ rather then just goping out there and getting the job done. Regardless... I am intrigued to see whether one of these emus can creep there way into the boomers team for the series and actually stun us. So many players have been in the boomers program for the past few years, that we will indeed be pretty deep experience wise should we make the olympics.

Reply #325065 | Report this post

hurley509  
Years ago

I know highlights dont paint the whole picture but its hard to watch these and not get a bit excited for the fuiture

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYGiHJWivyg

Reply #325071 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, it's a shame an NBL club didnt sign him up, because with his passport you would think he will go straight to Europe after college unless the NBL has had a very rapid rise in salaries.

That's an issue we didnt use to have to deal with, as we had few top players with European passports. Now, Andersen, Ingles, Kickert, Maric, Markovic and the likes of Drmic and Iggy have them. Without that, the majority would be in the NBL.

Still, we dont have enough places in the league for the players who are in Australia so maybe it's not a bad thing. And the truth is that outside of Spain and Greece (though that is changing with their financial issues), most European countries dont have their best players in their national league either.

Reply #325079 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

stanky

Reply #325167 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

88 all at the end of the fourth quarter in the Aus vs Russia game

Worthington had a chance to hit the 3 to win the game but now in overtime

Reply #325239 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

And Aussies go down 99 to 97 in OT

Reply #325241 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

live stats anywhere?

Reply #325242 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

You could actually watch a live stream off the chinese website, I tried to post the link on here but for some reason I couldnt connect to this board till right at the end of the game

Reply #325246 | Report this post

Tiger  
Years ago

sircreate--can u tell me what time the boomers play Angola 2moro and can u put the link on for the live streaming please....

Reply #325250 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

sports sina com cn/bscup/

spaces are dots :p

Im assuming your not supposed to be able to post links to stop illegal streams? but I believe the stream is an official stream from the tournament website.

Angola vs Aus is at 6pm EST tomorrow as well

Reply #325251 | Report this post

Tiger  
Years ago

thanks for that, will see how I get on with it

Reply #325253 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

sircreate, post links to streams if you find them. If it's not being shown on TV here, I'd be surprised if anyone bothered to make an issue of it.

Reply #325296 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:52 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754