LC
Years ago

Boomers vs Tall Blacks Game 3

Dead rubber game...who wins?

My predictions:

Boomers by 10.

AJ Ogilvy to rack up 20 points.

Aber crombie to fail to get double digits in scoring yet again.

Topic #26281 | Report this topic

UTBNB  
Years ago

Linkseys?

Reply #330246 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

There may be a few omissions from the Boomers team...

Reply #330248 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

No Wortho - shoulder & Neilsen - back.

Reply #330250 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Thanks for the update

Reply #330251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Wortho - no worries.

Reply #330253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Footys all over. Does this start 4:00 pm Adelaide time?

Reply #330254 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

http://www.lshunter.tv/index.php?option=com_lsh&view=lsh&event_id=61757&tid=206011&channel=0&tmpl=component&layout=popup&Itemid=327

Reply #330256 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Live steam etc posted above

Reply #330257 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Maric is just too strong

Reply #330258 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Barlow also playing well today, as is Penney.

Boomers lead 39-37 with 3min to go in 2nd.

Reply #330263 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Maric is a monster...

Reply #330264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cant get to the link?

Reply #330265 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Boomers up 45-41 at the main break.

AUS: Maric 15, Barlow 14, Mills 8, Ogilvy 6
NZ: Penney 15, Frank & Tait 7, Vukona 5 (Abercrombie 2)

Maric has been a mountain in the paint, and 6/6 from the field and 3/5 from the line, with 3 rebounds and drawing 5 fouls.

Reply #330266 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Boomers up 88-64 with 3min to go in the game...Maric has 27 points! Penney with 25.

Reply #330271 | Report this post

UTBNB  
Years ago

stats?

Reply #330272 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/151/03/89/63/46EGRInGa60cA/

Reply #330273 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Boomers win 92-68...

AUS: Maric 27 & 8, Barlow 17, Mills 14, Baynes 12, Ingles 10

NZ: Penney 25, Vukona 10

Reply #330275 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Maric was a beast and Mills found his range. NZ were average at best apart from Penney.

Reply #330288 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #330296 | Report this post

NZandOZmerger  
Years ago

NZ should offer Penney to nationalise as an Australian. Only player who can consistently score for NZ and is better than Newley.

Will never happen but can only dream!!

Reply #330307 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

Congratulations must go to Brett Brown and the Boomers. If you had said before the series that Australia would sweep NZ by double figures in every game you would have taken that happily. So despite some niggles it was a very good team performance by the Boomers. Well done lads.

Reply #330308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abercrombie way outer his depths. So many hoops posters rated this guy so highly. Just proves what good defenders our boys are. Go Boomers!

Reply #330313 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Agreed Adam, I was very happy with the way the Boomers took care of business against a very capable Kiwi team in this series. So different to when we split our two game series with them for the World Champs qualifiers a couple of years back.

I feel like this team is starting to show us the way it needs to play to be successful:
- Strong defence, based on good interior size and pressure on the passing lanes from a lot of long perimeter players
- Quick hitting transition offence that doesn't give the defence a chance to set up.
- If forced into half court offence, post ups for Maric and Nielsen (Bogut when playing) and getting Newley and Ingles open for hard drives to the basket.

A couple of other things I think would really help this team is to encourage guys like Mills, Barlow and Ingles to put the ball on the floor and look to pull up for mid-range shots rather than shooting threes or trying to get all the way to the rack. I think those guys have all shown they are much better shooters from mid-range. Ingles and Barlow have the height to shoot over most people they play against and if you watched Mills with the Trailblazers last season, he was at his best creating open mid-range looks for himself using screens at the top of the key.

Other than that, Maric has found his intl legs and is showing us why he has been such a force in the Euroleague; and Dellavedova has emerged as a great combo guard for this team. The kid has shown poise beyond his years and relentless intensity in every game.

Reply #330314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably the only game of the series where I think Australia played well overall... and shot half decently. Dellevadova is going to be a star for the boomers.. totally gotta agree with heal there. EWhatever level Dellavedova gets to professionally... I think hes gonna make himself one of thoes consistant boomers guys... Ahead of both Gibson and Martin by a fair while I would say. Maric was a beast! thats the best game ive ever seen from him. Also glad the scoreline finally indicates the talent differential

Reply #330315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vukona 10 points, 5 rebounds, 4 turnovers 3/9 fg 1/1 3fg

just saying.

Reply #330322 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Re: Abercrombie overated

Check out his stats from the last WC's against teams better than the Boomers. Sure in that series he didn't make an impact, a lot of the Tallblacks didn't and that was more to do with the Boomers defense than anything else. Game 2 the Boomers put the best defense I have ever seen on Penney for the whole game (Spain and Italy etc haven't kept him that quiet).

Instead of saying the opposition was crap, how about patting the Boomers on the back for a job well done?

Reply #330326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow something positive about the Boomers just came out of Adam's mouth!

Reply #330327 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Abercrombie sometimes struggles for opportunities when Penney is out there with him. The team seemed to barely look for him at points. This season with the Breakers will be a good chance to see if Penney was a strong influence on his game.

Reply #330342 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Abercrombie is designed to be a wing player (aka 3-spot), but Penney is usually assigned to the 3 with Abercrombie playing the SG role.

Odd part is, Penney starts baseline on one of the wings, then cuts through and takes his shots from the top of the key. I understand that it gives him better position to get screens and pick-n-pop but essentially that puts Abercrombie out of good position on most offensive plays.

Those two games in Adelaide v Breakers where Abercrombie gets 20pts or so, all involved him playing the baseline. That was when Penney was off the floor.

I find it funny that a guy like Penney who plays like a pure SG, fills the SF spot.

Reply #330347 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Mills found his range? lol... 2/8 3PM, yeah...

Anyways, being at the game, it was probably one of the most boring games I've seen in a LONG time... Just bang it inside and score over and over again, was a bit tedious... didn't help that we had the worst announcer ever... The crowd really struggled to get into it, which just made it that much more dull...

Glad we one, and the guys DID really dominate at time, but the Breakers, sorry, Tall Blacks, just weren't up to it... You know when Penney misses two FTs in a row and then barely clangs the front of the ring on a shot attempt, that they're in poor form...

Reply #330349 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Marty, especially when the Tall Blacks are pretty weak at guard besides Penney and Abercrombie. Wonder if it was a late adjustment to Webster being absent?

Reply #330351 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think Abercrombie's lack of scoring was attributed to a combination of the Boomers good defence and his own reluctance to create shots/take over and be aggressive.

Boomers play great defence on him all series.

But, he can be passive at times and looks unwilling to make a play or demand the ball and go to work.

He took just 16 shots all series; compare that with Mills who took that 21 in Game 1 alone.

I think the passiveness by Abo is because of:
-The presence of Penney: I think he wasn't taking more shots and been more aggressive because he was worried that he would take shots away from Penney and take him out of offensive sync.
-The Youth factor: As he gets older, he is going to become more comfortable becoming a legit scoring option and he will be more of a 'ball-hog', which is only good for the TB's

Reply #330354 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Tall Blacks now get to look forward to and prepare for a knockout competition which will include, at least, the runners-up at last year's WCs, Turkey.

Reply #330358 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Maric didn't impress me in the first 2 games but damn he tore it up last night!

Reply #330360 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

XY - will be a tough qualification series that in all reality will probably boast Turkey - but more importantly - all the teams that don't qualify for London from the QF stages of Eurobasket as only 2 can make it.

Reply #330362 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Tallblacks are swimming against the tide to get to London

Reply #330372 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

The 12-team qualification tournament prior to the Olympics is going to be really tough. Already qualified for the tournament aside from New Zealand are;

- Angola
- Nigeria
- Dominican Republic
- Puerto Rico
- Venezuela

Four teams (those that finish 3rd to 6th) from the Eurobasket tournament will join them. It's not decided yet of course, but we're talking the likes of Lithuania, Greece, Russia, Serbia etc. They are all renowned world basketball powerhouses.

I was surprised to hear Mark Dickel say that he thought the 2011 Tall Blacks could be the 'best ever'. Now I know he was talking it up, but come on. No Pero Cameron, no Dillon Boucher, no Phill Jones, no Craig Bradshaw, no Paul Henare. They had guys in their team that can’t even crack the NBL.

So in summary, it is clear that while the Tall Blacks certainly boast the best player in Kirk Penney, our superior talent and depth was far too much for them to overcome in the end.

I can’t see the Tall Black gaining on the three spots on offer in the qualifying tournament next year.

Reply #330396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RE: Bang it Inside

This is a good game plan if u ask me. Run the offence through the middle. If Maric is backing up Bogut we can really go far i believe. Slide in Irving with Patty backing up, we can almost take a medal.

Bogut/Maric

Nelly/ Anderson/ Jawai?/ Wortho

Ingles/ Barlow

Newly/ Delly

Irving/ Mills

I like our combo guards and defensive stoppers. Alot of power in the middle. Its gonna be hard to stop!

Reply #330400 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Teams who have qualified for London 2012 so far:

1. Great Britain (Host Country)
2. United States ( 2010 World Champion)
3. Tunisia (2011 FIBA Africa Champion)
4. Australia (2011 FIBA Oceania Champion)
5. Brazil (Finalist, FIBA Americas)
6. Argentina (Finalist, FIBA Americas)

That leaves 6 spots left that are broken down as follows:

2 - FIBA Europe
1 - FIBA Asia
3 - FIBA Olympic Qualification Tournament (2 - 8 Jul 2012)

Reply #330440 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

"Wow something positive about the Boomers just came out of Adam's mouth! "

I know, anon, it is unusual. Credit where credit is due though. Sure I would have preferred that they built their victories throughout the game rather than winning each game by having one impressive quarter, but nonetheless a very good series by the Boomers. Now I'm off to the thread about whether or not Patty Mills is bad for the Boomers.

Reply #330469 | Report this post

Fooji  
Years ago

Snapped.a few photos during game 3

http://mrfooji.zenfolio.com/p26856561

Reply #330557 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:35 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754