Anonymous
Years ago

Patty Mills Doing Great Things on Twitter

Many will already be aware, for those people I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. For those who aren't you need to check it our for yourself http://twitter.com/#!/Patty_Mills. Patty has been coming up with hash tags, competitions etc etc really been doing it all to promote NBL. His latest plan is to bring a bunch of Portland fans to Melbourne for some games to join the "Ambush Army", another of his recent creations. Bogut has been doing good things on twitter too but patty is really taking it to another level.

Topic #26346 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like that he's getting lots of attention for nbl, although I think he should work with the nbl staff to get things going and not try to be the hero by undermining the people running the league and tell everyone how bad a job they are doing.

Love the passion but focus it in to bringing the league back to the heights it was once at.

Reply #331155 | Report this post

trevor  
Years ago

When has he said the people running the league are doing a bad job?

Reply #331157 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

anon- "the heights the league once was"?

mate,it was a flimsy house of cards built on a bastardised,second hand american product.
(one of the reasons it went bad).

this time around it's the australian content that will win championships.

this time around it will work!!

Reply #331173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are doing a good job in many areas but still not in others , have mentioned Brissy is being handled rather poorly abd disjointedly

Reply #331178 | Report this post

Inkpen  
Years ago

This website: http://andthefoul.net/ reports on a lot of NBL/Patty/Bogut stuff that's been happening via twitter lately. I only go on Twitter once a week so its hard to catch up whats going on.

Reply #331184 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Mills was great for this for Portland by all reports as well..He became a bit of a fan favourite there by the way he conducted himself, even with his limited minutes. Deff seems like a good guy to have at a club thats for sure.

Reply #331187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trevor - he has intimated numerous times - mainly via his retweets, that the league management is crap and makes no efforts to get coverage with the underlying tone being that the NBL sucks. Unfortunately its not as easy as just saying 'do more marketing' where does the money come from to pay for this marketing?

Yes I agree its great to see his passion and love of social media to raise the profile but I feel there needs to be a more focussed effort in conjunction with both his club and the NBL as a whole. It would be interesting if the Tigers as a club already had a cheersquad organised for the coming season and now Mills has promoted and recruited his own 'Army' thus relegating any efforts by the Tigers thus far to the scrap heap? And pray tell what happens when the NBA lockout ends and he goes back to Portland, will all these 'fans' who have openly said they have never had an interest in the NBL to date but want to be involved in Mills' cheersquad still come out to the games or will they walk away again once their chance to be involved with an NBA player is gone?

Also comments yesterday about how noone knows about the pre season blitz, surely rather than talk down to the league for a lack of coverage he could have simply used his twitter profile to promote the tournament? Or if he was desparate to have a dig at someone maybe turn his attention to the myriad of media outlets who profess to be all about sport but hadnt given the tournament a single piece of coverage.

Reply #331192 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's Homicide 2.0.

Reply #331195 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

While the NBL's marketing could definitely improve, the biggest issue is are the media outlets who simply refuse to give basketball any reasonable coverage. Go and talk to TV reporters or newspaper basketball writers in most major centres and ask them how hard it is to pitch a basketball story.

Mills needs to be getting his followers to hound the media outlets about the lack of love they give the NBL. That would be productive.

Reply #331198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon - BS. all he's been saying is that there is no marketing/advertising, hardly a bombshell, we all know that so what is your problem with him saying it? clearly he's not saying the NBL is crap, what would be the point in that WHEN HE IS HERE TO HELP TO NBL

Reply #331203 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I dont like how he retweets people saying he is bringing back basketball in australia..
Bogut retweeting praise about him considering NBL is abit egotistical too..

Anyway hopefully the only people in australia following bogut and mills are people who already watch NBL..

Reply #331205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we all know it then why say it? Would it not be more beneficial to the NBL to use his profile to talk up the things about the league that are good and encourange people to come along? Or is it simply easier to fuel ones ego by telling everyone how poor the league is in certain areas and then set out to be a one man saviour and constantly retweet his supporters saying how great it is that he is here to save the league?

Unfortunately unless he and Bogut are willing to work WITH their chosen club and the league as a whole then I see this as being a missed opportunity.

Reply #331206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Right, true, twitter is a great power

Reply #331209 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Lol @ Homicide 2.0

Reply #331217 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

If Mills thinks the NBL/Tigers are not doing enough and wants to do more himself - good! If the Tigers are doing their own cheer squad - good! If Bogut and Mills are bringing NBA egos to the NBL - good! Surely after the sad few years we have endured anything happening with the NBL should be viewed as positive.

Reply #331247 | Report this post

Bball fan  
Years ago

Whack! The nail hit bang on the head Dr Phil!

Reply #331250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the nbl doesn't handle feedback or constructive criticism well, they handle it childishly and immaturely. heres hoping that with Mills feedback they find the incentive they need to improve themselves instead of shooting the messenger so that we can all be happier in the end

Reply #331261 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Anon ^ - pretty sure it's only a few random posters on here complaining, not the NBL. I reckon the NBL are most happy with Mills and Bogut coming to the NBL, and and any publicity they bring

Reply #331272 | Report this post

opt  
Years ago

Speaking of twitter, does Luc Longley use it, cant seem to find him if he does? Seems like the bloke keeps a low profile

Reply #331279 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, any examples? I have emailed feedback a few times and it's been received reasonably enough.

Reply #331309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isaac if I said I would be getting some people from the Brissy comittee in trouble. i wish i could say more i really do. its been incredibly frustrating for some of them some have walked away a few have stayed to fight on and had to go it alone against their own team seperate to the control freaks. i want to say more but I cant. the nbl have their heads up the wrong peoples arses they will see that in time.

Reply #331341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think what brissy are facing and doing it all from scratch goes well past the realms of nbl just taking on feedback but the support logistics etc etc they need to tap into. there are so many things not coming together the things they have to sort out are just huge and some doing it all plus around their day jobs. its just wrong wrong wrong

Reply #331343 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Completely disagree about players "not being able" to criticise the league. Transparency, an open debate and ongoing critique of our broken league is exactly what is necessary for forward movement.

The league itself still doesn't realise the causes of its problems, only the some of the surface problems themselves. Sengstock still hasn't really achieved much. I thought as a workmanlike everyman's player he would be willing to get down and dirty as an executive but the fact is he merely spews the same overly optmistic phony management speak just like the rest of them.

Reply #331344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what would be better for the league -

"Looking forward to playing in the pre season tourny in Brisbane/Gold Coast next week! Everyone who can get on board!"

OR

"does anyone even know there is a pre season on next week"
followed by retweets of various followers saying how they didnt even know the NBL had a pre season

Not saying criticism isnt warranted, just why put down the league in such a public way when he could be doing his bit to talk up the product to his many followers. Sure - get stuck into the Tigers and the league as a whole when he has a chance to meet with them. Talk to the club about how he can help garner support for a Tigers Billboard or advertising on a tram, Im sure the clubs would love some leads to help get extra sponsorship!
Just dont see why he has to take the easy way out of talking down the league in such a public way when he is clearly passionate about it, if he wasnt he wouldnt be playing here!

Reply #331346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i agree mick. its from feedback like any other organization that positive change occurs.
they cannot just take it from inside the nbl they have to take it from people who are dealing with struggles from dealing with them. the same as any other company. that is how they will get credible not by shutting feedback out. if they cant keep the people who are trying to deal with them inspired then what hope do they have to get credible in the outside world at large ?

Reply #331349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon i think mills didnt do it that way because he didnt want the nbl to rest on their laurels or something ? just throwing some ideas around as to why he said it the way he did. but they should be doing more and playing less politics with those they have to rely back and forth on to meet their business needs. I know that much is true.

Reply #331351 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If Mills is in Melbourne, why would have seen any marketing for an unbroadcast pre-season tournament in Qld? There is no need to promote the tournament in Melbourne, that would be a waste of what precious little money is available.

Reply #331357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there are still a lot of people in brissy who dont know about it either maybe due to having grown accustomed to no basketball in their city ?

Reply #331363 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:43 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754