Anonymous
Years ago

Sixers first game post-mortem

Steven weigh has officially started to play like a sixe (not a good thing). Wade Helliwell I am now dumber after watching you play. None of the players have any grunt. Get some balls!

Topic #26528 | Report this topic

Loco  
Years ago

Can't argue.

Insipid peroframnce.

Really angry.

We have NO heart.

Reply #333852 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Weigh will get better. Perth just knew how to play him and even then he tried too hard for barely any result. He even tipped the ball in for Perth thats how great his game was going.

Helliwell on the other hand we cant expect much more then that.... I can't understand how someone so big plays like he is 6'5 with bad hands.

Reply #333859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what i find funny is the guy you bagged all last season, Brad Hill, had 15 pts, 11reb and 4 asts in Cairn's win. Cairns should be stoked with that pickup.

Reply #333860 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

For me still couldnt work out the subs??? Dont think coach has changed much.............will i give him to end of season???????????

Reply #333864 | Report this post

36ers solja  
Years ago

Weigh was disappointing but not nearly as disappointing as Hill has been in years gone by.

Helliwell didnt do much tonight in fact he was hardly ever in the key let alone rebounding which begs me to ask the question, "what was his role?"

Not many highlights for the end of year celebrations but standout was definitely Warren. Should be happy with that game.

Reply #333867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely disgraceful effort and I'm not talking about the margin. Lack of heart, no hustle, soft and disorganized are what I think of in relation to the 36ers under Clarke.

The defensive effort and breakdowns were embarrassing. Right down to the final 30 seconds where we gave up an offensive rebound off a free throw and then a wide open three.

Herbert is a shorter less athletic Mark Nash.

Mitch Creek has absolutely no jump shot and teams will continue to sag off him like Perth did tonight.

DJ still can't defend or box out.

Warren can shoot but will get abused on the defensive end as much as Ng.

Wade Helliwell is going to be mentioned in threads for years to come in discussions of the worst ever 36er.

Not a lot of positives.

Reply #333875 | Report this post

Holy S  
Years ago

Wade Helliwell's game is like NG's defense and strength, it will never be there. Seriously, They are soooo guard heavy and have no one in between. People will be saying that Creek will have a break out season for the next 10 years (He has no handles, no jumper and doesn't use his athletic ability to slash to the basket.) Anon is correct that Weigh is starting to play like a Sixer already and it's only the first game.

I have an idea for Clarke with his defensive strategy, it's new and revolutionary, and called MAN TO MAN, it's where you pick up a player so they are not wide open. Hopefully it gets through to him.

By the way did I mention that I am awestruck that Heliwell gets paid actual money to play the game of basketball. WOW!

Did Herbert play tonight? I was at the game but I don't remember him doing anything?

Reply #333884 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

they made a point of attacking warren and weigh very hard. both were double teamed at every occasion.

ok so for the team. some worrying signs.

we let them turn every rebound into a contest, we saw this a bit last year and looks to continue.

for a small side we dont seem to force enough turnovers or move the ball quickly enough up court for those to be strengths of ours.

too often too hesitant on offense. no go-to guy.

warrens shooting was super good but what happens when he has an off night?? didnt look to be able to penetrate and go to the rim or even penetrate and dish. didnt see that once tonight.

no-one really can beat their man off the dribble and get to the rim. maybe daniel johnson and crosswell are the most likely in this department.

lots of youth and few old heads.

seriously creek has all the potential in the world why is he so gunshy?? needs to use that athleticism other than just waiting to get a free run at the rim. get around a defender and make the play. you are bigger and faster than every chump out there ffs.

Reply #333886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find that with Ballinger and the second import, it will make a world of difference.

This was hardly an unexpected result. Even without one player, roles get shifted and life is harder for everybody, let alone without two guys, both potentially our starting talls.

Reply #333906 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Just finished watching the game on OneHD and I really can't believe what I saw. I know the 36ers are missing Balls and a 2nd import right now but Perth just dominated every part of the game tonight.

Right from the get-go they had a full court press running and Adelaide just couldn't adjust. The 36ers often took over 5-8 seconds to get the ball to their end and then they were out muscled and forced often into hurried shots. And as for defense.....if you can see the zone isn't working, change it. Perth killed us tonight because they had so many open or easy shots. The zone lasted all game and we got slaughtered. Tell me, is this the 2011/12 season or is it 2010/11?

As for Perth, have to admit they were awesome tonight. Remains to be seen how they go for the rest of the season but boy do they look better with Shaun Redhage suited up. IF they can keep up something like they showed at the AA tonight I'm not surprised they are favourite to take out the championship.

Reply #333911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ng looks out of his depth at NBL level. Yeah he can shoot but what else can he do? Unless he's standing out by himself he's useless. Defensively he's a liability. Once Ng came on the court the game was over.

Reply #333912 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

guys it was only our first game without probably 2 of our best 3 players, if this is happening late in the season then we will have something to really worry about, not doom and gloom yet by a long shot.

Perth are a rock solid team, most fans would have them finishing in the top 2, and have played together for years, so at this stage they are a class above us but they were at full strength where we were missing 2 of our 10 pt players.

Clarke as coach is ok to me, compare him to Bevo in his first 2 years at West Sydney and remember Perth is better resourced than us and Bevos Razors were also which helps with recruiting, but Clarke is going down a similar path than what Bevo was IMO, recruiting and hopefully retaining top young talent, if we can hold onto Creek, Johnson, Weigh and get 2 good imports for the next 5-10 years we will be pretty solid IMO of course continuing to target and recruit top young talent along the way, which i think Clarke is in a good position to do. Which means Clarke is on the right track.

Johnson is good offensively and will average 15-20 pts IMO, but as said still isnt the best defensively, hence why in the ideal when we have all of our players he will likely play most of his minutes alongside our import who can hopefully play some defense to balance him out and Ballinger and Helliwell will be a combo with Helliwell playing the defensive role to balance out Ballinger. I think Johnson will be one of the best C's going forward so hopefully we can retain him for the remainder of his career, as given he is a bit soft phyysically on defense and not a great rebounder he probably isnt going to be a guy who spends too much time in Europe. We just need to be aware of this and recruit a PF who plays defense and rebounds along side of him.

Weigh is a great pick up, will be very good, i think he will average something like 16pts 8 rebounds playing sf/pf, maybe even some SG.

Creek is a good young talent, he has plenty of work to do offensively, but be patient look at say Abercrombie at 19-20 years of age he wasnt doing any better, not even sure if he was on a NBL roster, so i think Creek will do fine and shows plenty of promise. I would like him to really focus on defense and be given the toughest defensive match up from PG-PF this year while his offensive game grows as he has the athleticism and toughness to do it imo, try to use him like Perth do Martin but from the SF spot, and i reckon he would have been better against Redhage and Wagstaff than having slower Helliwell and Johnson trying to guard them outside. I wouldnt mind seeing him start SG alongside Warren in a defensive role, and we could use Weigh as our SG on offense who has more perimeter skills.

Warren looks good to me, can shoot, is quick, yes he is small and not the strongest but if we can pair him with say a Herbert or Creek defending the best guards on the opposition our back court should be fine. If our import PF is as good, we will have a good import combo.

Herbert will be ok, he is just a role player, play defense, hit open shots, and surely will do better as the season goes along. For his role/points/$$ who else is better out there, other options available are guys like Kendall who is not really a upgrade on his past couple of seasons. If going forward we have concerns with him starting SG we could get a Dorsey type sg/sf/pf to start SG with Herbert backing him up,

going forward (next 5 years) a starting line up of Warren, Dorsey type, Creek, Weigh, Johnson with a veteran Ballinger, Herbert and a solid back up PG like Crosswell as our main 8 rotation looks good to me, which i would say is something close to what Clarke is building towards, but obviously we need more development out of young guys like Creek for this to work.

Helliwell was our 10th man and when full strength will be used as our defensive C alongside Ballinger for around 10mins per game, so not a bad pick up and not expected to do huge things, just play the Reesy role alongside Balls and im happy.

All in all not a great start tonight but i can see what Clarke and the 36ers are building towards and beleive it will work if we can retain our young talent, the likes of Warren, Creek, Weigh, Johnson we will have a real strong team over the next 5-10 years.

Reply #333914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shit we have to wait another 5-10 years we've been waiting for the last decade. Oh well I guess all good things take time.

Reply #333917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely embarrassing first up performance at home.

Reply #333918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still go Matty Knight to come in to!!!! Yay!!!!

Reply #333921 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

Clarke is the problem, same as last year, but yes two players short still, so we will have to wait for them to make the call that i know won't change.
I was more than happy with Phil, and understand we needed a change, but go up to a proven coach not to an untried one at this level.
Teams, however bad, most show heart and it comes from the ticker.
Team selection is the key and Clarke holds the can.
Beveridge was a good fit for perth due to $$$$ being available to pick the team.
But in West Syd he did not have that so he did not perform, but it gave him 2 years of practise at this level.

Reply #333923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jonno, love the optimism but there is nothing about the roster or coaching that causes me to believe we are moving in the right direction towards a championship.

The issue with Clarke the last two years is the team plays with no passion, we are disorganized, guys hanging their heads and pointing at each other blaming the other for blown defensive assignments.

Last night was not a well coached, disciplined hussling team who were simply outmatched with talent.

How can you expect to compete when you assemble a 10 man roster with potentially 8 of the worst defensive players in the entire league?

Add to that an offensive system which saw helliwell pick and pop to the 3 point line and anyone (apart from the owners) can see we are in long term trouble.

It may be only one game but we are already guaranteed a sub 50 percent record by dropping a home game when most of us know we won't win a game on the road this season.

Reply #333925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come on, everybody just settle down. Richard Hill, Marty and the other Tasmanian have a three year plan !! Not sure what that plan is....maybe its that Marty have his house all paid off by the end of the third season. But they do have a plan !!!!

Reply #333926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^Richard Hill doesn't work there anymore champ. In my mind, one of the worst decisions the club ever made.

Reply #333928 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Croswell was good as backup. Warren shot ok but relied on the jumper and didn't/couldn't penetrate. Had both cross well and Warren on at the same time and both looked confused when didn't have the ball.

It was against Perth who choke everyone. Did you see mills's stats recently agains the 3 pronged guard defense.

Amazing comeback from redhage after a massive injury.

Creek was subbed out just when he was starting to get a bit physical with Perth which was good to see. At least he showed he was frustrated even if he can't shoot.

Ng and Warren on together we are too small and light. Both got out rebounded a number of times and gave up easy putbacks

He Lowell was never gonna be a superstar. He didn't play well but no one did. He at least tried to set some screens.

I still can't understand how Perth get away with the hand checks and rough D and then we get called for the softest calls. The refs then start to make up for it in the 4th when the game is over.

Reply #333931 | Report this post

Da Touch  
Years ago

Anon, are you saying it's bad that R Hill isn't there anymore or was bad when he was there?

Reply #333932 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Two quick observations:

1. Perth is the favourite for the championship
2. Adelaide will not play finals

Reply #333934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bottom as well again.

Reply #333935 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Without Balls you are an ABA side!

Helliwell almost got dunked on by Martin!

Crosswell, NG, Herbert are ABA players!

You still have to get the 2nd import spot right (Last year?)

Your import point guard is 5, 8'!

Can Marty coach?

Weak spots everywhere...

The only positive for Adelaide supporters is Perth played great & shot the ball at a wonderful clip! Unless Balls has a brilliant year & the 2nd import spot is filled correctly expect a few 30 point drubbings!!

Reply #333937 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

Cmon guys,
we can't just keep bagging all our players. It was just the first game and our club mvp wasnt playing and another quality import to come. The 6ers have a bright future for this year.

Reply #333938 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Last nights game really showed what it means to have a core group of players together over a few years. Perth knew what to do and who could do it..Adelaide still looked like they were trying to figure each other out, which is BAD when your have a coach like Clark who should be an expert at building structure

Reply #333940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so many armchair experts! Just be patient! Things will come good. Helliwell was no where near as bad as everyone is saying, once balls and the 2nd import come in he will be a very handy back up.

Reply #333941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any news on the 2nd import?

Reply #333944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure half of you on here should be referred to as supporters, all you do is whinge and complain.

We were outplayed and outcoached tonight - no doubt. However, Perth are quality, have had their side together for a number of years without change and we were missing 2 10 point players. They were missing Knight but I dont think he would have had as much of an impact as Balls or an import would have for us.

My take on the game was this;

We clearly lacked that 3rd scorer and our perimeter defence sucked. Our perimeter defence has sucked for a number of years now so this needs to be addressed. If we had that 3rd scorer (Balls) we would have faired alot better I think. Perth was just clogging up the keyway and doubling Warren, Ng and Weigh whenever they got it because they knew they were our only outside threats. Put Balls in and it opens things up and you dont have to have Johnson or Helliwell running out to the perimeter.

Warren is legit and can score, but 5 turnovers is too many! Didnt seem to troubled with the full court press and broke through it with relative ease which is good. When we get a full sqquad I think he will improve more.
DJ is unguardable and got Neville in foul trouble early. He needs to be given the ball more in the post and given the green light to do what he does! His defence has improved a lot but he needs some help! And for those who say he doesnt rebound, he had 8 last night so I dont think that is really an issue!
Weigh had a shocker and played like a man who was trying too hard. Was doubled alot and struggled with that pressure, throwing errant passes and putting up some silly shots. Rebounded well though and tried hard...he'll be better next week!
Creek really needs to develop even a mid range jumper but until then needs to use his athleticism and attack the rim! Always hustles on D and has improved his dribbling I believe even bringing the ball up in some traffic.
Herbert really looked like a shell of his old self. Looks to have lost a step too and his greatest asset, defence, looks to be suffering as a result of his speed dropping off. Hoping he will improve and this was just a game for him to get used to the pace of the game again.
Ng, struggled to get open looks but I dont think any real plays were run for him. If you have him on, set him up!
Crossie.....played very well as a back up and will be good in that role. Seemed to have the ability to get in the lane and throw up a couple of nice floaters - good pick up!
Helliwell is being a little unfairly abused I think. He is playing a lot more minutes than he was brought in to play but I thought he tried hard, set some good picks and just did what he was brought in to do as a back up, problem is we needed him to play like a starter last night and hes not capable of that. He does drop the ball alot for a guy with big hands though!

All in all it was a disappointing result but I think there were some positives to take out of the game. I think people have to remember where we are coming from and where Perth are at. We'll get better!!

Reply #333945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A loty of the posters on here remind me of people who drive up the car in front's arse. The they swerve into the next lane and sit up that car's arse. They have no vision of the bigger picture and are only capable of seeing what's right in front of them.

Last year Adelaide beat Perth in round one, and the year didnt turn out so well. It is far too early to judge the season just yet. Being without Ballinger and the forward import means there will be some catching up to do though.

Reply #333947 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Anon there's no doubt Adelaide will get better as i don't think it's possible to get any worse!!

Reply #333948 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Anon #333945 pretty much spot on mate. I would add that a big part of our defensive problems last night were caused because the only two bigs we have right now are too slow to guard Redhage or Wagstaff out on the perimeter. Same reason Wilkinson torched us last year. Perth just run a pick and pop with Redhage or Wagstaff - either we're forced to switch and they can shoot at will over one of our guards, or they isolate them one on one against Helliwell or DJ, who sag off because they don't want to get beat off the dribble. This is why I was saying before the game it was a bad idea to run Helliwell and DJ together.

The Sixers have to get better at defending simple pick and pop basketball and they also have to work really hard at their rotations until it becomes second nature to all of them. Right now, when teams go on a run, they just don't have the defensive cohesion to pull together and get a few stops to break the momentum.

Hopefully this new import will be here soon and can make a difference with regard to defensive mobility on guys like Redhage, Wortho, Wilko.

Reply #333951 | Report this post

Danger Mouse  
Years ago

Adelaide seem to have too many 1-dimensional players to me. This makes them too easy to shutdown as a team, and with an organised unit like Perth, it was a bloodbath!

Warren - Didn't penetrate once
Johnson - Soft on D
Helliwell - No offence
Creek - No jumpshot
Ng - 3 point shooter only

You compare that to Perth players seem much more well rounded, and they also set up plays to work to their players strengths. That's what Adelaide are going to have to do if they want to go anywhere this season.

Reply #333952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D Mouse we knew all those players limitation's, so really did u expect anything different!

Reply #333955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bigger picture. How are we moving forward? Signing Weigh is the only move that can be described as positive.

The car accident analogy can be applied to the blind faith that has caused the continual downfall of a once proud franchise that is a shadow of it's former self. If you ignore the problems then games like last night become a reality.

None of our defensive shortcomings that cost us last season were addressed by our recruiting.

Come on. The team is soft and unless the second import is a young Ben Wallace then nothing is going to change anytime soon.

Reply #333959 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Cor blimey DM, you're a bit off on the Warren remark!
If you watched Warren closely, you would see that he could get anywhere he wanted on the court anytime he wanted. But he is actually smart - just like Mills he is too small to drive all the way to the basket and expect to score very often. Instead, he pulls up for his silky smoother jumper, which most of the time is nothing but net and a far more reliable weapon.

Reply #333960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

new import joining the 36ers in the next week will help!

Reply #333962 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Posters see answers . " Bruce cain't play . Burston's too short. Helliwell's a dud. "

Reply #333963 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Perth played typical Perth D. Adelaide played typical Adelaide D. There's your difference.

Helliwell played some real solid inside D and as has been mentioned will only be a 10-15 minute player when we're at full strength. Handy one to have.

DJ, seriously. How hard is it to get a hand up on the perimetre. Just to raise your fucking arm. Does that really take that much effort? He's lucky Redhage didn't punish him more. His D is still atrocious all-round.

Wort game I've seen Weigh play I think. Looked reluctant to create his own shot and too reliant on cuts to find space, which failed with Tovey's fantastic D.

Herbie is still the best outside defender in the league IMO. Great effort at that end despite being a bit quiet at the other.

Warren: Great signs. Didn't do much wrong and was one of the few positives.

Creek: Was desperately hoping he found himself a jumper over the winter. Guess not.

Ng: don't have the numbers but did he reach 10 minutes? Gotta utilise that shot a bit better when he's on the floor too.

Crosswell: D was disappointing but other than that pretty much as expected.

Refs were pathetic but I think we're all used to now and they didn't change the result obviously. I've been saying it for three years but Ray Hunt should not be in the NBL. It's unbelievable how consistently shithouse he is while still retaining his spot. Phil Haines not much better. It'd just be good to see Crosswell be able to get away with the same stuff as Robbins and Martin.

Need import now.

Reply #333965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The optimistics on here anger me, so blind and miss led! Clarke has too many guards, he makes everyone robotic out there, and no one has a voice. Adelaide need to part ways with him.

The club MVP is no longer a franchise player, he is solid, but thats it. Wont make a massive difference when he returns. HUGE problems in Adelaide right now, Ninnis would be laughing it up, thats how bad it is! Recruting has been shocking for last 3 years atleast, from picking coaches to players, KB wouldnt be able to operate in Martys system!!! I dont know what else to say anymore, its just so sad, that so many ordinary basketball types are associated with a proud club! Maybe its time to just admit we wont be a very good club anymore, always just a mediocre organisation?

Either way, IF there are changes, they will be made, like always, too late to turn a season around. For me the cancer that has become the 36ers was when the trigger was pulled so very late on Chappell and then Tyndale. I have no idea who was running things back then, but nothing has improved since.

Reply #333966 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

X, Herbie has been good in the past, but he did get burned by Lisch early on in this game. Lisch was way too quick for him, which IMO is a big part of why Marty took him out of the game and played Crosswell alongside Warren. Hopefully Herbie just needs more games to get up to speed, but physically he didn't look great last night.

Reply #333967 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

I must've missed a few of those Bean, my bad. I can only recall him being beaten off the dribble once.

Reply #333970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The optimistics on here anger me, so blind and miss led! Clarke has too many guards"

We were missing two of our talls, our captain and an import!

Reply #333971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth were missing Matthew Knight though...

Reply #333973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just an observation: Time outs

Clarke never appears to talk to the team, maybe give players a rev about poor defense or bad shot selection turnovers etc. Like most coaches. Instead he just gets the whiteboard and gets super technical on the next play etc. Designing the next play, wont eliminate a 20 point deficit. I don't think he is really a head coach, you can be an average game coach at the AIS and not get noticed when you have the best talent in Australia.

Brett Brown at some time outs gives players a hard time about efforts or situations, I have seen it personally. He will criticize the team

For my 20cents worth last night when things were going backwards, I would have taken Warren out of the point and put him on a wing or off a screen to shoot the ball. Not just hit the white board and talk shit.

Less technical and more game please. We had a coach who did this. A while back, (we also won championships)

Reply #333976 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Last night i only saw one team trying to win the game,and it wasn't Adelaide.OK we were missing a few players-noticeably Balanger,but truly where did everybody else s balls go on the night? Defense was disgusting the back ,front & side doors were left open.Passing was shithouse we can do a lot better than that.It was good to see a good crowd and i hope people keep coming.

Reply #333985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you talk up your outs it means your ins were and are not good enough. Good teams get beaten and poor teams get thrashed. Yor call on Adelaide.

Reply #333987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ins weren't good enough, we were missing out best player in the last 4-5 years and an import. Even if we had those two players in, Perth would be favourite to win, we aren't blaming the loss on the outs, just the fact we were completely disjointed and thrashed.

We have those two big guys back, then maybe our defense improves in the key making it harder for Perth to run their offense, and offensively players like Darren Ng, Herbert and Weigh have more space on the perimeter to work with.

Lets be honest, it's not surprising we got scorched and it doesn't dent the expectations we have of finishing 5th/6th. Yeah we got beaten, it's the first game of the season. We beat Perth 1st game of last season and almost finished last.

Reply #333989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

get a head coach that has coached men before and has some championship experience. this isn't the SEABL, people are paying good money to watch these games. clarke might just go down as the biggest coaching flop ever if things don't pick up

Reply #333991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It probably doesn't help that the Adelaide fans are constantly bagging their players, so why would they show heart. Brad Hill was subject to enormous criticism last season, and now playing well for Cairns (he's really shit isn't he?). Dan Johnson is receiving a lot as well and he's currently your best scorer. Warren played well for you and you go and call him out for apparently playing crap. And you wonder why Adelaide sucks, your club and the fans look like a bunch of whingers complaining about nothing, you have players to have success, just look at what Cairns and Wollongong have achieved in previous years. Your coach is the problem.

Reply #334013 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Your right xztatic, if the refs were more consistent 36ers would have lost by 50!!

Reply #334014 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

@anon Brad Hill has played for many coaches and has always shown that he can play. Consistency is what he needs and the minutes he will get by default in Cairns will hopefully help him with that.

Reply #334019 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Ok, to put missing Ballinger and Williamson into perspective:

Imagine Melbourne without Ubaka and Mills.
Imagine Sydney without Khazzouh and Grant.
Imagine Wollongong without Saville and Catron.
Imagine Gold Coast without Worthington and Hudson.
Imagine New Zealand without Wilkinson and Vukona.
Imagine Cairns without Crosswhite and Loughton
Imagine Townsville without Schenscher and Mims.
Imagine Perth without Redhage and Martin and Lisch.

Having 2 of your best players out and both of those players being the same position is a huge hole. Team balance is shot, you have players in positions they aren't used to, basically nothing fits.

Melbourne have Dorsey or Dillon running the point.
Sydney have Ratzsch and Iti in the big positions.
Wollongong still have Davidson and Forman, but don't have much of a bench.
Gold Coast have Petrie and Garlepp in the big positions.
New Zealand have Pledger and Anthony in the big positions.
Cairns have Rychart and Dowdell.
Townsville have Hinder/Holmes and Allen.
Perth have Robbins and Williamson.

Reply #334020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wasn't saying it was just Marty Clarke that the problem, it's a club culture you have at Adelaide that needs desperate repair.

Reply #334021 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Ballinger , Ng and Herbert are the only constants from previous coaches
All of them have played outside of Adelaide and to a level of success too.
Culture is a perception and not a problem.

Reply #334024 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Perth could lose two players and still do OK.

Now, I think we lost two pretty key spots and Perth are an incredibly strong team this year, but Perth could've shown up without Martin and Redhage and you would not see a team coughing up so many open looks. Plus, we were at home.

Reply #334025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the point of listing the oppositions' best two players?

What perspective is provided?

Perth did not have Knight which cancels out Ballinger.

We are assuming our second import will be an all-nbl calibre player? Why?

Denying the obvious does not help? We have the worst coach in the league. The owners made a huge, huge mistake hiring Clarke.

Reply #334027 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

The issue as hendo has pointed out is that these players played the same spot.
Most teams could cover two injuries but not from the same position as we have.
We did not have a 4 man at all last night

As hendo said take Lisch and Martin out and Perth would be a completely different squad or Redhage and Wagstaff would be another example.

Even is Neville was out last night i think the game would have been a lot different. We would have been huge against them.

Reply #334030 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I disagree in Perth's case. Obviously having two PFs out hurt us and it'd probably hurt other teams too. But I think Perth would've still won convincingly if they were without Martin and Lisch, or Knight and Nevill or Knight and Wagstaff or whatever. They have good balance across the team and are that well drilled and confident from a hot pre-season, I don't think anything short of 2-3 major injuries or a semi-final implosion are going to stop them making the grand final.

The 36ers are not going to be the last team to look bad up against the Cats this year.

Reply #334033 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, everything you have said in your last post is true but this just confirms the problem lies with the coach, firstly for not being capable of putting a winning team together and secondly for not being able to coach a teamn into winning. I am not going to go off at the coach after the first game, but surely everyone saw last night's game as a continuation of the previous season rather than the start of a new. Despite being without Ballinger and a PF import, we were never going to win against a performance put in by Perth. I take my hat off to Perth and say to the 36ers, this is what you need to aspire to. Perth have set the bench mark this season.

Reply #334038 | Report this post

____  
Years ago

last night was disgraceful but we can only go up. hopefully balls returns at full strength with a half decent import as well.
we also played the tipped number 1 team so it will get easier form here
my only comment with marty's coaching was why did we have at least one of our talls above the three point line

Reply #334039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

X are you suggesting that Hebert is a better defender than Martin? And on another point one of the anon's said why would the players play hard when the fans bag them all the time...well it's called self pride, heart, balls, having a go, giving it a crack and being F-ing competitive. The idealists need to get realistic on here, and wake up to the level of planning that went into the squad that is picked.

There are way to many guards and none of them have any balls including Warren (who if you watch the one hd coverage you will hear Bevo saying that it Warren is anywhere on the court post him up.) Herbert won't give shite this season, as he has no handle and can't create, plus his D is average now. Ng...enough said, Croswell has smarts and poise. Helliwell....WOW....you play basketball, he should be a back up for the great Carlie Wrestler. Johnson...not the toughness needed in a big and you would rely on him backing you up in a fight. Creek, there is something to work with maybe, but he was overrated as a Junior and should have gone the NCAA route for development. Weigh should be better next game. But overall I guess you can be happy with the quality development players like Yon, he is the future of the club (if we play in the Big V div 2).

Ok now all the Sixers idealists tell me how it's only game one and Chappell will get better.... Oh wait that was a few years ago, now we have Yon to lead us to the Future. At least Homocide would have had a crack and back his team mates up.

The sad fact is that the Sixers will be no good again this year and i don't take pride in that, it's just truthful.

Reply #334040 | Report this post

____  
Years ago

got distracted clicked post to soon

above the three point line all every time we came down the floor
warren looked fantastic loved him
weigh clearly had an off night

lets give it at least another month before we all freak out

Reply #334041 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Point I was trying to prove (which I thought was pretty clear) is that any team will seriously struggle without 2 of their best players. Especially when they are from the same position.
Perth have an incredible team where they can probably afford to lose 2 of their best from any position.
I'm not sold they would be that scary a prospect without Martin and Lisch, but each to their own.
Perth also have the luxury of having 9 of the 10 they ran with last year.
Last night, Johnson was the only player who was in our 10 at the end of last season. The sort of team chemistry Perth has simply can't be created in round 1.

Reply #334042 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Oh, yeah and Creek.
Forgot about him.

Reply #334049 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It's all Helliwell's fault . He loves setting screens
Only got 8points in half a game.
What difference which side you're on if you're sailing on the Titanic.

Reply #334057 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone check the actual height of imports before they come over here.....Warren is going to struggle playing men in professional basketball...this is not college ball anymore. Yes he has a good stoke when left open, but he will struggle to get it off against teams that are able to get over or sag off the screen. Defensively he will be abused (Robbins was first to post him up and he is not an offensive minded player). We will be extremely vulnerable in this position.

Reply #334065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Essentially it comes down to this, would Adelaide have lost against Perth with Ballinger and an import in? Probably would have.

Fact is, Perth are super strong. We go in minus two top players who are both talls and we get totally smashed.

I don't think we should get overly pissed at the 36ers over this match and it wasn't an unexpected thrashing either.

Reply #334067 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

"X are you suggesting that Hebert is a better defender than Martin?"

Not as good a pesky, turnover-inducing defender as Martin or Robbins, but a better lockdown defender, yes.

Shit post all round, anon.

"There are way to many guards and none of them have any balls including Warren (who if you watch the one hd coverage you will hear Bevo saying that it Warren is anywhere on the court post him up.)"

He's what 178cm? The call to post him up is an obvious one that has nothing to do with his "balls". Despite that, he was hardly punished for his size. D-Mart went 1-7.

Somehow I don't think Janno is the player the club is intending to build a team around, not sure what you're getting at there other than a possible personal beef.

PS you forgot to bag Tom Daly in your post. Missed one.

Reply #334070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

some lazy recruitment from the sixers.

whoever signed off on hiring warren should be sacked on the spot.

he is not import quality.

Reply #334089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see all teh Sixers fans talking about their new import

Reply #334094 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It was a bad result and not a great performance in general from Adelaide, but as Boti pointed out in his article, Perth's margin total against Townsville and then Melbourne (not miles off full-strength) was 60+ points, and Melbourne had Mills, Ubaka, Dillon, Dorsey, etc.

Warren had 17 points at over 50% on debut, against the toughest guards in the league. He had one poor game during the pre-season. Yeah, he's short. So was David Bailey and he got it done in the NBL. Right now, I think Chris Warren is the least of our worries.

Reply #334114 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Rupert Sapwell - game commentator on the radio when they were talkin ' bout Smyth's new Basketball Academy
" At time outs he'd talk to his assistant coach for 45 seconds , then told us . 'You're all do very well'
Even when we weren't. "
Good game nite coverage with interviews - Batkovic Cox Clarke Ballinger Radford Bevo Leeanne Grantham
may have missed 1 or 2.

Reply #334129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lmao Camel, i'm not surprised. Smyth always seemed to be the more positive type of coach.

Reply #334141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since when was 178cm 5'8 last time i checked that was 5'10 so why are commentators calling Warren 5'8!?
Is Creek on a short leash? As soon as Creek started taking it hard to the rim he got benched. Instead of being so technical why doesn't the coach just let the players play. Warren didn't penetrate much. Maybe that was because he was instructed not to? Who knows but that game was like being up shit creek widout a paddle.

Reply #334147 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

More likely that Warren doesn't penetrate because there are times when it'd be suicidal against taller plays. Different story in a broken play/transition I guess.

Doubt Creek was benched just for penetrating. Maybe for poor decision making (penetrating when he shouldn't have) or just as part of shuffling players looking for a working combo. Apart from the big dunk, I didn't think he did enough to demand court time. Herbert or Ng weren't any better unfortunately.

Reply #334160 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Can I start ref bashing yet?

That was a car wreck. Super Mario and Phil Haines were absolutely horrible.

Reply #334171 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The out of bounds call by Mr Moustache just before the travel make-up call at the other end was a seriously bad call. Everyone near me was slackjawed through shock. Can't believe it wasn't overruled by the ref on the other side who had reasonable position to see it.

Reply #334176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

funny that all the 36er's supporters were happy with the Helliwell pick up...lets br honest the guy is a bum! Vanderjagt is a better pick up!

Reply #334183 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If Vanderjagt was that good an option, why did no one pick him up? And why when he was finally signed due to serious injuries, did he only get four minutes in a team down their two primary bigs?

Doubt anyone became a Helliwell fan over the weekend, but he wasn't abysmal and won't be playing 15+ minutes when Ballinger and an import are there.

Reply #334197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Halliwell is a big banger to spell DJ, no more no less. He will be fine once he is asked to play a more limted role, as long as he just grabs boards and put-backs.

Reply #334210 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

If you expect 25 minutes and 15 points, 8 rebounds from Helliwell, then you're an idiot.
He's here as our 4th big. He is there as a big body to set screens, fill up the key and basically do what Paul Rees used to do (probably not to that level).
Ballinger and Johnson were signed to provide offense. Helliwell was signed to provide defense and size.
I'd be surprised if he averages more than 15 minutes this season and I don't expect much more than than above things from him.

Reply #334215 | Report this post

36ers solja  
Years ago

Thank god someone spoke up about the awful reffing Loco. Haines was once a good ref, however has fallen into the trap of being a toss when it comes to calls.
Benn McDonald is the worst in the league as far as I am concerned. He couldnt ref to save his life and Ray Hunt is too old.

As for us, well there arent too many diamonds in the rough its gotta be said. First quarter was ok, but ball handling errors/turnovers :(

Helliwell is a player to whom is a cheap buy, cant do much except screen and doesnt get inside for a rebound. Why did we buy him?

Weigh and Herbert I like in the team. I think they are both valuable. Give some time with these guys. If Hill got 3 season to get ti right after being injury prone, then herbert gets at least 1 year.

Creek, just a bad game all round. Nothing major there to speak of.

Who's the rookie, no 32?

Daly should have gotten more time on the floor given we were only trailing by 27 at 3/4 time or so.

lastly, the coach. They hit two 3's in succession, down by 10. Timeout? Nope! Lets play on to get further behind. Sure enough, time out call down by 15. Gee whiz. Not good entertainment that one

Reply #334305 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Helliwell provided screens for Warren which enabled him to score so well. He should do it for Ng. If all he does is set screens which results in other players scoring and pick up the odd rebound, he has done his job.

Reply #334318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Doubt Creek was benched just for penetrating. Maybe for poor decision making (penetrating when he shouldn't have)"
Bro that's the same thing. If you bench a player every time they make a mistake eventually they lose their confidence to penetrate especially with young players.

Reply #334322 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's not the same thing. Say the guy's said x was benched for shooting at all, and I've suggested he might've been benched for taking a bad shot (a long, fadeaway two early in the shot clock, when a teammate was open under the basket).

Whether benching is detrimental is a separate issue and not something I'm going to judge here: I wasn't tracking Creek's subs, and I'm not the coach so I don't know whether that was a regular substitution or not. I doubt any coach putting Creek into the game would be discouraging him from playing his natural game. Hill, for example, penetrated all last season and I didn't see him discouraged from doing so.

Coaches can't win in these situations. Leave someone out there and they're criticised for throwing good time after bad. Take them off, and maybe they didn't give the guy a chance to get into the game.

---

Check Creek's lines in the play-by-play. Played a good amount of contiguous time in the first half (across the end of the first quarter and start of the second). In one patch, picked up a foul and then missed two free throws, but wasn't subbed out. Played the final 4-5 minutes of the third without a stat, but wasn't subbed out.

Started the fourth. Turnover at 8:33. Had that steal-and-then-charge at 7:02 (out-smarted by the defender). The big dunk was at 5:15. Missed a shot at 4:36, subbed out 4:17.

Looks like the regular pattern of playing him, then letting him rest, to me. Played more in the fourth than in the second.

Reply #334326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No doubt a very poor performance. It would be much easier to swallow if there had been some obvious attempt at development of a team rather than simply assembly. Yes 2 of 3 Americans were not playing. How about some effort at developing young guys who may stay and form the basis of a solid TEAM. Daly has looked the goods each time he has taken the court but for his troubles gets to train with the 'real' players. Creek has failed to develop, DJ has still not learnt that the alphabet does not go a,b,c,e. Rome was not built in a day but it would be nice to see some signs of tools being picked up instead of just being picked. Other threads talk of programs in place to try and stop the bleeding to College of young players. Seriously, why would an 18-20 year old choose to train with a pro team for no court opportunity rather than get professional training, 30 odd games a year and real development opportunities. Other pro sports are much better at this and have worked out that it is cheaper in the long run to develop more and buy in less.

Reply #334353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for clearing that up Isaac.
^^to poster above mentioning Daly it's probably just unlucky for him that he's playing in a 36ers team that's already stacked with guards. How come he didn't choose the college route?

Reply #334400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No. 32 was Matt Lycett

Reply #334406 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Creek got all the minutes he deserved and more. See Isaac's post above. He is nothing more than a limited role player with potential at the moment and he should be played as such.

On the other hand, the guy who said Creek has failed to develop also needs to show a bit of patience. He has played less than 20 NBL games, having come straight from the AIS. Give him a chance to develop!

Judging by the way he brought the ball up against Perth, he has already started improving his ball-handling. We haven't seen much evidence of an improved jumper yet, but that's going to take time.

Reply #334418 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:15 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754