Anonymous
Years ago

Mills here to stay

Surely no way this guy will get to play in the NBA much longer. Shooting about 30% tonight 2 a 5 t/o 50% ft. Barely good enough for nbl tigers would play better without him

Topic #26651 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

I dont think thats accurate to say Tigers would play better without him... see result as to why. But his shooting will definitely not do him any favours AT ALL when it comes time for his agent to renegotiate a deal on his behalf. Hopefully he picks up his shooting, for his sake and the overall hype that comes with an Aussie playing abroad.

Reply #335886 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I think tigers will do better without him. Have you seen them play?
Its like mills shoots misses mills shoots misses mills shoots get one mills shoot misses.

If they played as a proper team instead of just mills jacking up shots they would be ten fold better of, which wont happen because of his ego.

Which is why when he goes back to the US I think Tigers will do better.

Reply #335888 | Report this post

opt  
Years ago

Seems like he would be suited to play for the 36ers

Reply #335889 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I agree the Tigers will be better without him. Ubaka could easily run the ship; But with Mills there, Ubaka does not look confident and Mills is taking away a lot of his shots.

I think Mills thinks he is a better shooter than what he is.

He makes 2 or so and then thinks he is hot, and throws up garbage. I saw him throw up two airball 3 pointers tonight, then when he was 2-12 from the Field he did the "3-googles" signal when he made a 3.

He threw some really bad passes tonight as well.
5 Turnovers!

Reply #335890 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

lucas walker and benny lewis need to come to cairns asap ....ffs let these kids play,we need our aussie kids playing serious minutes and these boys are ready !!

Reply #335891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers would be much better off with ubaka at the point....see wildcats vs cairns at Perth 2010 as to why. Kobe24 u honestly think any player with that stat line got the win for his team. If anything the missed frees gave nz a chance to tie the game when he could have iced it from the line ala lisch for cats vs crocs tonight. Having said that I just watched live stats and maybe u saw something in his game I didn't.

Reply #335895 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

The ATTENTION he commands from the defense is off the charts. He has missed some shots, alot of shots, but he has been effective enough for the Tigers, that they have a shot this season of causing some damage. He will have games when things click and forget about it when that happens, he will go for 40+ in a 40minute game. For me, stats dont show that attention he commands, and you would have to watch to see it, but thats why i say he is better for the Tigers than not.

Reply #335897 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Kobe24, the Breakers didn't pay any extra attention to him. I watched the game Live.

They didn't double team him or anything. It was just single coverage with either Jackson or Bruton on him (Bruton used his smarts and veteran tactics to his advantage and Jackson is a relentless defender)

At the end of the day, Mills is 6 foot and I think thats why alot of teams are too worried about defending him..If he was 6"5, it would be a different story.

But Cedrick Jackson, been 6"3 and strong as hell, was able to stop him from getting into the seams and lanes.

Scouting Mills game is not that hard, and Im predicting many more bad shooting games like tonight. He obviously loves to shoot the 3 ball and off the dribble, and will look to penetrate only in the transition game.
All teams need to do is show a hand on his shot and send him to the hoop where your bigs can have a block party (At 6 foot and lacking vertical explosion, all it takes is a good help side defender to come across a put his shot off)

Reply #335899 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The reason why he had some good games in the NBA (most notably his career high 23 points) was because the opposition didn't know much about him.

Obviously been a bench player like he is, they don't get scouted as much.

But in the NBL, everyone knows his game and they know that he is fast as hell and that he can shoot it(but is inconsistent)

Reply #335900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry MACDUB, but in the NBA, everybody knows everybody, Espcially in the circumstances of Mills being a backup PG on a playoff team.

Reply #335901 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

^disagree, Patty was like a token player. I highly doubt a team would be making defensive adjustments for him

Reply #335902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a team wouldnt make defensive adjustments for one of the quickest guards in the game? you would have to be kidding right... Sure, Mills is no superstar... but they would know his strengths, and Mills couild be used very well as a back up opoint guard in any league playing 10-15 minutes a game and just rushing around and pennitrating. However, Patrick Mills seems to think hes a better player, shooter, passer then he really is. part of that has to do with the hype that was put on him after what was a very good game against the USA... now he thinks hes australias superstar... hes not, he plays without poise.. he has a low basketball IQ and hes a showpony... nothing pisses me off more then him missing 8 shots, finally hitting a 3 and putting the goggles up. Its arrogant and idiotic, shaking your head like "Finally!" would make sense... not flashing the goggles like you been on fire the whole night! I remember Larry Abney would only pull out the 'bird man' if he had a good game and a few good plays in a row, He wouldnt just suck all night... finally dunk, and then birdman... he knew that would be licking his own coight. regardless... he has alot of potential... cant deny the quickness, cant deny the POTENTIAL to shoot, however he lacks basketball IQ... poise, and any kind of humility. when it comes to the Boomers... Id prefer if he was back up point guard, however cant think of many great aussie pgs to take the lead spot... god, why cant Cj just come out of retirement!

Reply #335913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the NBA they scout everyone, in saying that the only thing Mills has going for him NBA-wise is his excepetional quickness.

He stands out like dogs balls in the NBL due to that quickness but really thats about it.

Reply #335914 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I just think it'd be very hard to say as a coach or owner, you would cut a guy after a 2-1 start, regardless of who you beat, even though a Breakers win in any season is huge as it is. He is avergaing 22 points a contest, over 3 points more than next best. Hype of it being Mills or not, that when a guy is second leading scorer in the league, that usually refelcts a record, and at the moment the Tigers have a winning one. I dont even like the Tigers, so id be happy for them to self implode and get rid of him, because thats what people are saying.

Reply #335919 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The premise of this thread is wrong. Mills will accept the offer he currently has when the lockout eventually ends and will head back to the USA. What happens from there I dont know, but he isnt here to stay.

The NBL is a tough league and Mills is playing a role he hasnt really played before, against very good guards like Jackson, Bruton, Martin etc. He had a bad shooting game last night but so did most on the court, it was a very hard game to score in.

Reply #335932 | Report this post

Bball Fan  
Years ago

To me....he is just trying to hard and trying to live up to the hype of him playing in the leage.

Reply #335944 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

i think its in the clause of the contract to let him shoot as many as he wants to as long as they can win games.

Mills is here to do some practices. Otherwise he'll opt playing somewhere else like in Europe

Reply #335948 | Report this post

mcdonalds  
Years ago

On a lighter note Cedrick Jackson looked tough as hell out there. and very slick handles...should be a force this year.

Reply #335950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul although tittle suggests otherwise I don't believe mills will be a long term nbl player just on current form he won't get to continue his bit part role in the NBA. Probably will end up in Europe or somewhere more suited to his skills. Kobe agree that after a 2-1 start no way tigers would even dream of cutting mills but still think they have a better "team" without him.

Reply #335951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Portland wont pay any attention to his NBL form. They will judge him on his form at training camp and in preseason matches if they happen. But with NBA talks gone again he might be here to stay.

Reply #335964 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

I havent seen alot of mills but my observation was that as 'one of the quickest players around' he should be better at playing defense? Cedric Jackson seemed to be able to go around him at will.

I also dont believe the breakers went out of their way to contain him, personally I think Ubaka is a more dangerous threat. Maybe this is just a suggestion that the caliber of the league is better.

Also agree with MACDUB that 3goggling after taking so many shots was stupid.

Reply #335965 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Lets not forget Mills doesnt have alot of team leading experience. Every competition he has come from has being a shoot and impress comp, not a team competition like the NBL.
I would be surprised if he doesnt improve greatly through the season to suit a different style of game though.

Who knows maybe I'm wrong but I doubt right now hes playing to his potential.

Reply #335966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To MACDUB- I didn't know you had to be 6'5 to penetrate lanes...Look at Allen Iverson he had some pretty good hops particulary early on in his career but 90% of the time when he drove it was never finished with a dunk. Than in the other thread you were talking about Creek being a 'tweener' because he's 6'5 lolz. Seriously is there any acceptable height in basketball for you?

Reply #336184 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:52 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754