?
Years ago

average lifespan of a junior coach

anyone got any ideas how longer average time a junior district coach will stay coaching for ?

1-5-10-15 years ?

Topic #26858 | Report this topic

?  
Years ago

talking a volunteer not a paid person

Reply #339465 | Report this post

triton58  
Years ago

How long's a piece of string?

Some coaches come and go, others like Hunnerup for example coached for years and years at junior level.

Reply #339467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good question. What would be the record for the most years in a row without a break?

Reply #339468 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I coached juniors from the age of 14 non stop until I was 34...I will also be back!

Reply #339470 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

I coached from 15 to 27, having a break but I'll also be back

Reply #339471 | Report this post

juno44  
Years ago

There would be a number of coaches around who have been going for 15 years or more.

Guys like Mesecke, Clarke, Berry, Holland, Laurie would all fit that category I think.

On a related note, I wonder who has coached the same age group for the longest time? Obviously wouldn't be a Sturt coach, because they tend to shift around each year.

Reply #339478 | Report this post

Bluh  
Years ago

Damian Weeks U16 girls @ Norwood would be my best guess.

Reply #339487 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

Dennis Jones at West Adelaide would have been coaching Junior Boys for 25+ years

Reply #339488 | Report this post

juno44  
Years ago

bluh - how long do you reckon Weeks coached 16 girls for @ Norwood?

Reply #339496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LC, out of interest what area do you live near?

Reply #339553 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

To measure an average lifespan, you would have to also take in to account the lifestyle one leads ie ; smoker, drinker etc.

I wouldn't think being a coach would take years off your life though. Unlike your own kids, you send these home after a couple of hours.

Also depends on the country you live in.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

Reply #339565 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

A similar study was undertaken in another sport by the governing organisation. The distribution was found to be very skewed. When looking at the data, the "average" can be expressed as either:
Mean: The sum of all the data / the number of events
Median: The 50% percentile
Mode: The most common

They found that the Mode was around 4 years experience, the median was around 6 years and the mean was over 10 years due to the skew and a couple of coaches who had been coaching for over 30 years.

I think you'll find a similar result in basketball. There's a few coaches who have been coaching for years and who are now coaching the kids of the kids they first coached. There would be a group of coaches who see coaching as their outlet and just love it. Then there would be a group, eg young players, who get involved while they are at Uni, then once they start working put their focus into their work, then come back at a later date.

Like all volunteers, I expect that they don't stop because they hate what they do, they just need a break every so often!

Reply #339569 | Report this post

hog12  
Years ago

Bluh, Norwood 18 Boys coach has also been in that age group for a long time. Not sure exactly how long but I'm guessing it's close to ten years.

Reply #339654 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Peter Berry joined Norwood to coach U18s in the Summer of 2004-5. He promised to bring 'the scrap' with him from Woodville.

Reply #339807 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Peter Berry joined Norwood to coach U18s in the Summer of 2004-5. He promised to bring 'the scrap' with him from Woodville.

Reply #339808 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:30 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754