Bear
Years ago

What are the international trends in basketball?

Basketball is played according to the way we are brought up and the athletes available in the countries they play in. In Europe it is tough and physical with lots of great shooters on the perimeter while in Australia we adopt a team oriented game with our team offense and team defense based on team performance, however in the USA it's all about athleticism and centred on the stars of the team with others assisting the main scorers as role players.

The rules are basically the same, however officiating appears to go along the lines of how basketball is seen to be played with European referees allowing physical holding and blocking more than in other continents, in Australia the officials will let it go but at the same time pull up technical travel calls and alike while in the USA it's an open running style of play that encourages officials to call those contact fouls or holds, but you would be very unlucky to have a travel call against you, especially when you score with an athletic move like a 360 dgree spin and dunk from the foul line...

Topic #26880 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

we can't pass it.
we can't shoot it.

we get by on "Australian-ness"

Reply #339765 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

One major factor that I see as a problem with the NBL is the high turnover rate. It isn't unusual to see teams turn it over 20+ times--This is an astromnomical amount.

Over in Europe, turnovers are generally kept at an absolute minimum. In the NBL you see passing with a lack of direction, dribbling mistakes and poor footwork that you just don't see in Europe;

I think part of this is because in the NBL, a lot of players get the ball on the perimter throughout the offence. (Look at most teams and you will see the PG,SG, 3 and 4 man will generally all get outside touches; Guys like Wilkinson, L.Davidson, Redhage and Wagstaff, Crosswhite, Loughton all get outside touches; heck I even seen Khazzou get the ball on the perimeter).

Compare that to Europe, and the 4 men don't get outside touches and their role/space of operation rarely extends beyond the foul line.

Would be interesting to see how many of the turnovers in the NBL are caused by the 3 and 4 men of each team..IMO they are responsible for a larger proportion of TO's than any other position mainly because they are utilised on the perimeter (and asked to perform hand off's whilst dribbling the ball) where they aren't entirely comfortable.

Reply #339766 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Judging by some of the games I've seen recently, travelling calls seem to be out of fashion in this country as well.

Reply #339770 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

While it might appear that way Macdub, Euroleague teams average 13 TOs (5.9 per point), Spanish ACB teams 14.5 (5.1 per point), NBL teams 15 (5.5 per point) and Italian teams 16 (4.7 per point).

Euro teams look more under control because they run predictable offences where NBL teams make a lot more reads and back more of their players to create, as you mentioned. NBL teams are prepared to risk slightly higher turnovers for more points, whereas the majority of European teams are risk averse, hence so many very low scoring games.

There definitely is a false perception here that European teams look after the ball much more than Australian teams, but this comes from the fact that we are generally only exposed to the elite from Europe.

Reply #339774 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sorry, the brackets should read points per turnover.

Reply #339776 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Interesting stats guys, aren't perceptions judgmental in a lot of cases?

Watching NCAA College Basketball from the States (still no NBA of course) and comparing that style of play to ours here in Australia I can't help feel that they tend to take more risks that we do.

College ball is awesome and very entertaining to watch, let's face it, they pack out their stadiums, have a quality brass band and cheerleaders keeping everyone happy during time outs and the rivalries are like those in the E.P.L!

Basketball is the largest junior participation sport in Australia and the 'other World Game', yet we still can't get a game of NBL live on the T.V...

We have a lot to learn!

Reply #339786 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

A trend in Australian basketball is: Despite there being an NBA lockout on there are no players from last years NBA season playing here.

Reply #339791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Compare that to Europe, and the 4 men don't get outside touches"

Really? I thought it was the opposite...

Reply #339795 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I hate it how people allude to there being no Defense played in the NBA when it is so much played so much better there than anywhere else it's not funny...

Reply #339823 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

One of the biggest shortfalls of Australian basketball is PG skills.

Our guards can't dribble, pass, or run the pick & roll.

Reply #339825 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Team defence is not played better in the NBA than anywhere else, the rules are made to prevent that. Indiviual defence is very good.

Reply #339827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

paul, do you think Damian Martin would be a good defender in the NBA?

Reply #339836 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont know, havent seen him against enough NBA players. Obviously he defended Mills very well but there are certainly much more rounded players than him in the NBA.

He would also have to make some adjustments because of how the game is played and called over there.

Reply #339840 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Team defense is better in the NBA than anywhere else. Their athletes can cover more ground in a defensive roation, their strategies are superior, playbooks thicker and I don't care what anyone says - they work harder.

It's not just individual D. It's amazing help-side defense, team-on-a-string rotations, and all-round effort against the best offenses in the world, where you have to constantly change your strategies play-to-play, game-to-game; because you're scouted harder, you have smarter coaches, and you have smarter players.

You can't run a trap in the NBA because the PGs will just destroy you off the dribble.

You can't just slap and hold your opposing PG in the backcourt like the NBL.

This is what they have to deal with, in addition to zone limitations. And they're still better at it.

Obviously there are teams who are good at it and teams who are terrible at it, but if you watch the cream, there is no comparison anywhere in the world in terms of the cohesion.

As well, fact is your team defense is only as good as your weakest link. Individual defense is part of the whole. They are not mutually exclusive.

I hate it when people say the NBA is an individual's game, as if it's a bunch of streetballers hurling up shots at random, playing no D. Bullshit.

Reply #339845 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

In the playoffs I agree with you to an extent, in most regular season games, definitely not. There are more open shots in the NBA than in most leagues around the world, and the offences are generally less complex.

Coaches from the NBA who coach internationally have spoken about the greater strategy at both ends of the court in the international style game.

Reply #339849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This:

It's amazing help-side defense, team-on-a-string rotations, and all-round effort against the best offenses in the world

Then this:

You can't run a trap in the NBA because the PGs will just destroy you off the dribble.

They are either awesome at rotating and help but if they try and trap they will get destroyed.........

Sounds a bit hypocritical to me.

Reply #339850 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Anon, I think D.Martin could play in the NBA, but he'd only ever be a Bruce Bowen style role player where he's brought in for defensive rotation.

Unfortunately I think the NBA wants all-round players that can score who turn into defensive players. I've never really seen anyone get drafted who can't average around 15-20+ppg.

Reply #339865 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

NBA players gets alot of open shot perhaps because the players have superior ability to CREATE and FIND that open man? how often do you see great defence but simply better offence in the league...

I too think NBA plays the best D in the world but better offence often covers that cos of the player's superior ability. Although the gap between USA and rest of the world is closing in, there's still no argument American players are superior.

Also, less plays and strategies? why make things so complex when you have easier pick and roll option that is simple and effective. Remember the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Reply #339876 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A lot of that is true, I have no issue with that, but it is amplified by the defensive three second rule and the way star players are protected.

The simply pick and roll is so effective because the team defence is hampered by the rules. In international style basketball you need better movement away from the ball and a few more tricks to distract the help defence.

Reply #339879 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I mean do you really want somebody like Shaq to camp in the lane? sure! remember these guys abilities. if you don't alter certain rules, it'll really mess things up! just like Wilt and the goaltending back then...

Reply #339881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damian Martin could play in the NBA? lol I think I've heard it all now.

Do you realise how badly he would get abused in the NBA? Not enough speed/lack of athleticism, can't shoot/has no offensive game and doesn't have strong handles.

The only thing he has going for him NBA wise is his strength and there are plenty of stronger PG's than him in the NBA.

Reply #339892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^agreed. Damien Martin would get raped

Reply #339928 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Okay, a question for those who know more about hoops than I do.....

Does the fact that a two or three step lay up, not called as travel, help the athlete in the USA compared with those playing basketball down here in good old OZ?

I mean to say that we tend to call those things down here, so how can we be more athletic, across the board when in the USA (College or NBA) they allow athletes to spin, drive and catch 'n dunk with a two or three step move and no dribble needed.....!

Are we officiating our athletes out of it, or are we just playing too close to the rules?

Reply #340747 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:06 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754