Anonymous
Years ago

Is Ater Majok the #1 PF for Boomers?

if ater majok gets a contract with lakers will he be number 1 pf for the boomers

Topic #26997 | Report this topic

jacob  
Years ago

No

Reply #341473 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

not even close.

Reply #341483 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No.

Reply #341489 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Cmon guys, dont sit on the fence.

Reply #341492 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'll add my "No" to that too...

Reply #341496 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Is he getting invited to training camp?

Reply #341497 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

1. He won't get a contract
2. See number "1" above.

Reply #341499 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I thought number 2 was a really good point, Mick.

Reply #341501 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

I think he will get a contract as he has the body type that some teams love to develop. Perhaps they see him as the next Bynum type and will give him KAJ to work with and get some moves to match his athleticism

Reply #341506 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

No, because he is as old as Andrew Bynum is already.

Majok is not young.

Reply #341507 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

No. No. No.

Reply #341510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, the NBA employs professional athletes. The time window for ater has probably closed now and he will now look back and hopefully look at his failed pro career as a learning experience. I hope his fellow, talented countrymen can learn from the ater experiment too because if they can they will be great players for Australian basketball and beyond.

Reply #341512 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

24 is young in basketball.

Reply #341525 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Second what anon above said.

Australia has a ridiculous opportunity with the sheer volume of Sudanese refugees coming into this country to develop some freakishly long basketball talent. And if it continues to cost so much just to play competitive ball, people in housing commissions - where many refugees end up - aren't going to get a chance to play now are they?

600 or so bucks a year (150 bucks rego - $10-15 a game) just to play is more than lots of people can justifiably afford.

Reply #341529 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

24 is two years older than Kevin Durant.

No, it is not young. He doesn't have a chance with his age and how raw he still is.

The Lakers rarely sign their second round picks anyway. Last year was an exception because they got some steals late in the draft.

Reply #341530 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Comparing your average player to a superstar isnt really a good way of doing it. Majok is still young for a basketballer, where the peak is generally late 20s early 30s.

Agree that he is very raw for his age though.

Reply #341538 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

24 is too old for a player with those skills. I'd say Heck, 22 is too old for a player of those skills.

If you get an international big who is 24 or older you expect someone who is ready to contribute, not someone who is five years away from an NBA level skillset.

Reply #341541 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would say that point is 26.

Reply #341542 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

I don't think his age will matter, he's just not good enough for the lakers or the boomers

Reply #341544 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, we're not really talking about Majok re the age thing, more in general. Obviously the Lakers see him as at least a slight prospect though, so he has an opportunity if he improves enough.

Cant see it happening myself but who knows?

Reply #341551 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

If majoke gets an NBA gig then the lakers scouts need to be sacked

Reply #341565 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I heard he's trying to sell himself as a SF (he obviously lacks the height & strength to be an NBA 4).

Which gives him even less of a chance, considering they'll be expecting ball-handling and shooting.

Reply #341567 | Report this post

Brett L  
Years ago

Age wouldn't come into it in my opinion, after watching him in Perth and travelling with the team on a Sydney/Wollongong road trip last year it is hard to imagine that he is of NBA calibre. Without having an intimate knowledge of him personally, it appears on face value as though he has all the physical attributes required to be a good player but nowhere near the mental capability and work ethic that it would also require

just my opinion

Reply #341568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick-
Majok was put into the SF spot at a NBA prospects camp in Europe leading up into the draft and this was when the Lakers caught onto him. So he obviously plays that position a lot better and probably suits him more.

Reply #341574 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

If he gets an NBA gig I'll say the gods must be crazy.

Reply #341584 | Report this post

Forcey  
Years ago

He's a potential 10th/11th man in the NBA but not a Boomers candidate yet

Reply #341585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he has been working out in the usa for the last 12 months or so - prob improved quite a bit

Reply #341589 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Training tool at best in NBA

Reply #341592 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

How many organised, competitive games has the guy even played in?

Seriously? And I don't mean professionally, I mean IN TOTAL - at any level.

I don't think it's many...

Reply #341596 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's probably why the Lakers consider him a prospect. He has been playing the 5 in Slovakia, so I am not sure how far the SF experiment has come along.

Reply #341599 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I hope he continues to improve and become a really good player and realise his athletic ability. However I have been saying that for the past 3 years now and whilst he continues to improve, it is not at the rate that will get him to where one would liek him to be at to become a great player.

Reply #341602 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

he oly picked up a ball at 16 i think from memory so hes only been playing a short time so he will do Ok. He can definately block shots and outrun most bigmen on the court so who knows. good luck to him i say.

Reply #341608 | Report this post

holla  
Years ago

If 24 is old for a basketball player then sheesh everyone should just give up now then! Sounds as bad as the fashion industry.

Reply #341614 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Evidently the Lakers don't scout in Australia.

Wonder what they used to decide that draft pick...Eeny, meeny, miny, moe?

Reply #341663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you look at the last couple of draft picks, it seems that a feral cat was loose in the draft room and ran over the keyboard.
Chukwudiebere Maduabum
Tanguy Ngombo
Ater Majok

Reply #341676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HELLS NO!
No heart what so ever, talent with no hard work.
Fuck him lol

Reply #341701 | Report this post

Years ago

to 341701, I kind of was trying to say that in my post above but I think you better explained it

Reply #341704 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

If you are 24 and have no basketball skills whatsoever, yes, you should give up.

Hakeem Olajuwon didn't pick up a basketball until he was 16 either.

But instead of being a diva and declaring for the NBA draft after sitting on UCONN's bench for a year, he worked his butt of in college and never stopped adding to his game until his prime.

Hard work is all it takes when you have a frame like that, and he doesn't want to put it in.

Reply #341721 | Report this post

stoptheviolence  
Years ago

There is a level of hatred, anger, and malcontent that has been reserved for Ater Majok in Australia.
It is quite disturbing.
Some consider him a failure. Failure of what?
Here is a guy that came to a new country from a war situation. He had to learn a new culture and a new language. He adapted as best he could and though it may not be "Aussie", I have never heard him say anything negative about other players. He has exuded a confidence that you need in hardship to get you through the hard times. He has had a belief in himself that has taken him further than any other Sudanese basketball player to date. He has even gone further than other Australians who were priviledge to have the economics to play junior representative basketball and garner a scholarship to the AIS.
Yes he went to the USA, played a half season at UCONN, played in the played in Europe, played in the NBL, was drafted in the 2nd round as the 2nd to last pick, and is now playing in Europe. Yes the hype machine of the US pumped him up and he bought into some of it (but remember he is navigating western culture) but never have I heard him say anything in the press that is negative towards Australian Basketball, its coaches, or its players.
Where does this hatred come from? Ater Majok has taken the road less traveled and has had success and failure along the way. This is brave on his part.
This nation has been married to the "tall poppy" syndrome within itself. It is time for a divorce.
Ater has paved the way for other African players to leave Australia without the economic means to seek scholarships overseas. The numbers are increasing. Some may fail and some may succeed but the mere attempt is a success based on the hard journey most of them have had.
Best of luck Ater. For me and many others, your journey and your bravery in trying to change your life and the life of your family is valiant and a success in itself.

Reply #341750 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The responses have been largely directed at something like this:

if ater majok gets a contract with lakers will he be number 1 pf for the boomers

Reply #341753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have to agree that it seems theres some unjustified majok hate going on here.. I mean sure, I for one admit that I havent seen majok do much that really qualifies him to be in the NBA... however, hes gone and put himself in the mix and somehow to everyones astonishment... found a way to get his foot half way in the door at very least. NBA scouts know of this guy, sure he may not be the hot topic but how many of your NBL heroes do these scouts even know about or would even be aware of there existance.. (none except Kazzouh and Bruce). Fact is, the Lakers scouts saw him in the past year... and they obviously see atleast a small nugget of potential.... I for one would say its solely in his height and athleticism... however regardless... He will find a proffessional league for himself to play some sort of role in. over the next few years.... anything can happen, players can revolutionise themselves in a matter of months... and cain consistancy within maybe just over a year. Sure the guys 24... and RAW as raw could be... but give him 2 or 3 years? maybe something clicks in his head.... He may in the not too distant future find a lowkey NBA gig... he could very well come back to the NBL and get his shit together late season then start to actually dominate.... He could potentially bring himself into boomers conention for beijing.... HOWEVER< i am not saying straight out hes gonna be a star regardless and lock him in for the boomers 12... I am just saying that the Lakers obviously saw something enough in him to give it a look, and he should atleast be given a shot in a boomers camp.. despite the things we have or have not yet seen from him.

Reply #341759 | Report this post

stoptheviolence  
Years ago

The NBA is different in certain aspects than the NBL. One thing Ater Majok does and does well at every level is block shots. Blocking shots also encompasses changing shots and offenses.
There are guys that are paid good money to just come in for 10 mins a game to spell a starter as a defensive stopper. Given his potential to stretch the defense, he would not be offensively inept as some of the African players that have had careers as defensive players in the NBA.
Given that Brett Brown is in the NBA, I think he will keep Ater on his radar because I have not seen anybody in the NBL with that combination of length, athleticism, and defensive potential. The offense will come in time. If anyone out there has his stats in Europe this year, please post his points, rebounds, block shots, and %'s.

Reply #341889 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont like this "hatred for Majok" argument. Most of the comments are simply saying he hasnt produced and he hasnt worked hard enough to maximise his outstanding physical tools.

Personally I think he is extremely raw with a high ceiling and still learning the game, but as an example didnt really do himself any favours in his time in the NBL, disenfranchising teammates.

But the "hatred" thing, Redhage, Ballinger, Mills, Bruce, Heal ..... the list could go on and on of the players who cop it from fans. That's just the reality, I am sure it doesnt bother them. The comments on Majok arent something unique, some people just think he isnt living up to his potential.

Reply #341899 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

For the most part, I agree with paul regarding posters attitude towards Majok. Most are knowledgable fans whose opinions are based on assessments of his mostly underwhelming performances to date and the numerous controversies that have surrounded him implying a lack of professionalism that seemingly hinders his ultimate realisation of his potential.

There are however numerous examples of posters who are expressing something more than that. There is at least one anonymous troll who has blatantly hated every post with Majok's name (anonymously, of course) over the last few years. So there is some merit to the defensive posts above. I just dont think that all Hoops posters need to be tarred with the hate brush.

Personally I hope Majok has all the success in the world. If he succeeds, we gain an Australian player with physical tools unmatched by few if any Boomers in history. If he fails, well nothing lost.

Reply #341903 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That is true, but anonymous haters arent exactly something new on here.

Reply #341907 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@ Stoptheviolence:

Ater Majok has gone further than any other Sudanese player?

Manute Bol & Luol Deng come to mind...

Reply #341911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Either way the guy came from a situation we cant even imagine, went to australia (another pladce where its hard to get NBA attention) somehow got himself drafted... the kid must have SOMETHING/ I agree with what has been said.. if he gets his shit together he could be extremely valuable so dont write him off...

Reply #341912 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I completely agree his frame and defensive potential are amazing.

Whoever has been giving him advice/management, on the other hand, is boneheaded.

Reply #341914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

both of thoes players are from senegal actually i think?

Reply #341916 | Report this post

stoptheviolence  
Years ago

Paul, I did qualify my post with a strong ending giving credit to those who encompass the Aussie spirit of giving it a go ("For me and many others, your journey and your bravery in trying to change your life and the life of your family is valiant and a success in itself.")
Where I don't agree is where people have made baseless comments that Ater Majok does not work hard enough. From all the reports I have read, his work ethic is off the charts. Yes he did have 1 or 2 times that he missed or was late for practice and/or a weight session in Perth. Other than that, no other team in the US, Australia, or Europe have reported any issues in terms of missing practice or having a negative attitude towards an organization or its members.
Aussieboomers, I can't say Ater has had underwhelming performances based on the fact that we many agree that he started the game late and is raw. On the contrary, I feel this is why he has been give the opportunity rather than others who have potentially hit their ceiling. I do agree that there has been controversy surrounding Majok, but being the first Sudanese from Australia to go this far, it warrants to an extent some analysis as the data available is based only on his accomplishments.
Mick, the content of my post implies that I am referring to Sudanese players who have left Australia. I cannot compare his success to that of Luol Deng and Manute Bol.

Reply #341917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where I don't agree is where people have made baseless comments that Ater Majok does not work hard enough.

Yes he did have 1 or 2 times that he missed or was late for practice and/or a weight session in Perth.

Doesn't seem like baseless comments to me then!

Reply #341936 | Report this post

stoptheviolence  
Years ago

The comment is "baseless" because working hard and not being on time or missing a workout session are mutually exclusive events.

If you were to say he lacked discipline one could initiate a conversation as such. Then your argument would of course have to be justified over the life span of Majok's current career in relation to others in the same venue.

Reply #341999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would think it's pretty difficult to work hard enough if you are not at training....

Everyone can see straight through your pro-Majok propoganda...

Reply #342015 | Report this post

stoptheviolence  
Years ago

I am glad you qualified your statement. So what you were really trying to say was that Majok did not work hard during the minutes he was late for the 1 training session and did not work hard during the 1 weight session he missed.
Hmmm....anti-Majok propaganda.

I'll let it rest as you have not refuted the factual content on my post and has yet opted to play the "Propaganda Card". Good on ya mate!

Reply #342016 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Is Ater Majok the #1 PF for Boomers?

http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=192061263&client=0-189-12314-119318-369909&ocompID=119318

Majok wouldn't be the PF in an NBL First Team, Second or Third team.

Why the Lakers drafted him? We don't know, it was one helluva surprise.

#1 PF for Boomers? He wouldn't even make the Boomers Olympic squad.

It's not hating, it's just an outright silly question because at this time he evidently is not good enough. Does he have the potential to a Boomer representing Australia in world champs or Olympics in the future? Maybe, we'll see how he develops.

Reply #342030 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Is Majok as a 3-man idea still around? It reminds me of when Anstey wanted to be a 3 when he didn't have the jumpshot, nor the quickness, nor the handles. Goorj actually entertained that idea for a while. Soon Anstey realised that he wasn't a 3, nonetheless continued to improve on his long range shot, and used his tough mental attitude to great success on the court.

I suppose it's possible that Majok could do an Anstey and continue to develop through his 20s, but right now he is still very raw and lacks the tough mental attitude that made Anstey one of the best Aussie bigs of the decade.

Reply #342042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

chris anstey was a great player... I would say he was one of Australias best but he wasnt exactly a post player,.

Reply #342056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Majok skipping sessions is not propganda. It is fact.
Majok being late for sessions is not propoganda. It is fact. As you have admitted.

You are leaving it because people here do not just fall for your propoganda. And will not shrink when you suggest that anyone who doesn't like him is because of "hatred" or "anger", and virtually insinuate racism. When it is just because people don't like professional basketballers acting unprofessionally!

Reply #342198 | Report this post

Sami  
Years ago

good on him, i think he is improving by looking at his team position in Europe and the score he is adding to the team, apparently his one of the top 3 players on the team, all the credit goes to Australia :)

He may not been to the top player (L.James, K.Bryant) but he is something better than most Australian players :)

he started at an older age, and he learned so much, our Australian culture, our language and basketball.

Ater will be somewhere near the future, and yes he can the the no.1 spot, it may be not this year but near the future (1-4 years)

God bless him

Reply #342325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am leaving because I was beginning to wade into the shallow end of the pool.

You could not seem to comprehend that if Majok were late to 1 session and missed another, it does not mean that he is not a hard worker.

I am sure you are perfect and have never missed or been late to work for any circumstance.

From Jim Calhoun in the Courant: "You've got to play, you've got to play hard, and that's one thing Ater has always done," coach Jim Calhoun said. "Full credit to him. He's always had a great engine.

This statement was made on a day that Majok did not play well and did not play up to standards. Yet Jim Calhoun recognizes the true traits of Majok.

It is propaganda when it is said that Majok does not work hard.

It is fact when he misses 1 session and is late for another (this I never disputed).

For all the people who have not missed 1 day of work or have been late for work 1 day, I applaud you. Your perfection does not mean that others are not professional because the missed 1 day of work or was late 1 day.

The "propaganda card" is not the same as the "race card". There are people who read but cannot comprehend what is fact and immediately say it is propaganda because of intellectual paucity. It was tongue in cheek when I said "anti Majok propaganda".

I have ventured to far off the topic of the post so I am done here but I will leave on this note:

Ater Majok is not the #1 PF for the Boomers until he earns it. Getting drafted by the Lakers, in any round, is a great career accomplishment but playing for your country is even greater.

Reply #342326 | Report this post

Jim  
Years ago

I have known the guy for a few year, very good person and funny. majok some times has he's days but I know one thing for sure Majok is the hardest working person I know and will naver backdown.

One question: if majok is all u guys say he is he is that he is this, don't u think the lakers investigated him before drafting him. Know and reading up on the NBA draft team do background cheaks on u from birth and ask everyone about u.

I know for a fact that majok was late and miss training because of the way the management Wes treating him. It was not because he was late he was trying to prove a point.

If I was in Majok' s shoes I would do what he did and by him being drafted he has nathing to loss

Reply #342389 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Youre right Jim, NBA teams would never draft someone with questions about their character.

Reply #342406 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Lolz @ paul.

Jim, I am intrigued. How exactly was the Wildcats management treating Majok poorly, pray tell?

Reply #342410 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

This thread is quite humerous...

Reply #342420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know for a fact that majok was late and miss training because of the way the management Wes treating him. It was not because he was late he was trying to prove a point.

You've just proved that this guy is completely unprofessional.
All his teammates are at training working hard on their games, while he is skipping sessions to "make a point"?

For all the people who have not missed 1 day of work or have been late for work 1 day, I applaud you. Your perfection does not mean that others are not professional because the missed 1 day of work or was late 1 day.

If I just decided to skip a day of work to "make a point" I would not be employed much longer. So yes, it DOES make him unprofessional! If only he worked as hard on the training track as he does apparently trying to "make points"!!

Reply #342458 | Report this post

st  
Years ago

Reply #342491 | Report this post

stoptheviolence  
Years ago

Anonymous above, you're combining two post to make your argument. One from Jim and one from another anonymous which was me. I forgot to put my name in before I submitted.
You are plucking out pieces to fit your propaganda.
Keep trying and the best of luck.

Reply #342493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stoptheviolence you keep saying you are going to let it go but you just can't huh? It seems you just can't handle the FACTS to be presented?
You know, the FACT that he skips trainings!
The FACT that he can't be on time for trainings!

Which everyone bar his agenda promoters (like you) would agree is unprofessional - despite the agenda promoters trying to defend such unprofessionalism. But hey, he sure "proved a point".

Reply #342579 | Report this post

Stoptheviolence  
Years ago

I am having too much fun at your expense to let go right now. You should review the context of your post so I don't have so much fun correcting you.
You use the plural form of training and practice. Do you have any FACTUAL EVIDENCE that show multiple misses of weight training and being late for practice about Majok.

Reply #342593 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

The care factor to this thread I would have to say is a 0!!
Bump

Reply #343261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Majok skips training intentionally? Wow, how unprofessional is that!

Cannot believe anyone can justify deliberately skipping trainings! Obv has a vested interest!

Reply #343403 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:08 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754