Anonymous
Years ago

Cricket steals 36ers identity

So has anyone seen the new Sydney cricket franchise starting up, the 'Sydney Sixers?'

This has got to be a serious infringement on the copyright of Adelaide? The sixers are an iconic brand and play in a competing sport in the same season.

Should the club look at protecting its brand and launching a lawsuit against this new franchise?

There is precedence for this, in the old NSL when the new ‘Auckland Kingz’ franchise was born the Sydney Kings successfully pursued the Auckland franchise to change its name.

Topic #27048 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

At one point in recent years, the 36ers did formally use the "Sixers" name but the following year tried to distance itself from that to stick more exclusively to "36ers" - I remember being asked to change a rogue mention of "Sixers" on the official website at the time. Both instances predate the current ownership though.

Reply #342356 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I found it hilarious that the Phoenix Suns threatened Townsville with legal action to force them to change their name to Crocodiles: a ball club in a tiny city on the other side of the world.

Reply #342366 | Report this post

tripper  
Years ago

The Miami Heat threatened the Norwood flames with legal action a few years back because the logo was similar

Reply #342395 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Surprised that Florida Gators haven't sued the crocs yet:

http://womenofhr.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/florida_gators11.gif

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5e/Townsville_crocodiles_club_logo.jpg

Reply #342404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only thing they stole from the sixes is a "how to lose" mentality.

Reply #342409 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

So Sydney Kings threatened to sue Auckland cos they copied it first lol

Reply #342424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conceptual sporting nicknames make me sick.

Reply #342443 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Hawthorn must be over Wollongong! I heard Richmond took the Melbourne tigers to court! Are you serious? Stolen identity ha ha ha ha ha

Reply #342495 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:36 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754