Seriuosly
Years ago

6ers Better off without Schencher

Do you think the sixers would have been better with Luke in the team or not? For me I'm glad they didn't recruit him because 1- clarke probably wouldn't have used him like he should have and 2- I think the service we are getting from Johnson and Simpson far outweighs what we would have got with him in the side. Just my two cents worth

Topic #27130 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Hard to say. They could even try to get all three next year for all we know.

Yes, Johnson and Simpson are both doing well, but Adelaide are near the bottom of the table. Can't really make a strong claim either way, IMO.

Reply #343602 | Report this post

AMAZIN  
Years ago

Why would they wanna get Schensc when we got DJ and Simpson lighting it up as our bigs.What our team needs is a player like Brad Newley.

Reply #343603 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

You do realise he was one of the main reasons why Townsville finished 2nd to top last season while the Sixers finished 2nd to last?

Schenscher has just came back from a serious injury so its a bit unfair to judge how he will go after 3 games.

I am a huge DJ fan but there is no doubt in my mind that the Sixers would have done alot better last season with Schenscher. Espiecally since the coach would have actually played him. Well I would hope he would play him as you wouldn't pay the amount they pay Schenscher and then play him 20 minutes a game.

On the other hand, DJ is still young and has lots of years to play and get better but this does not mean he will be here for years to come. He could leave next season to another team for a better deal.

Simpson and DJ are playing great together but who is to say that Schenshcer and Simpson wouldn't play good together? Furthermore, the Sixers since getting Simpson are 4 wins and 7 loss's.

It was a bad decision by Clarke which was further compounded as a bad decision to only play DJ just only 20 minutes a game.

Reply #343605 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

So the two players you say you want - Schensch and Newley - both local boys, both ended up signing with Townsville.

And we got Holmes now too.

Say anything?

Reply #343613 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, it says:

Newley: not pursued strongly enough by a past 36ers coach. Grabbed by a past Crocs coach. Old news. Signed with Adelaide before getting a Euro contract.

Schenscher: signed by the 36ers, then Perth, then Townsville (Bevo elected not to sign him too). Decision heavily influenced by existing signings in the front court.

Holmes: has played a number of years with Adelaide and also with the Dragons. Decision on him this off-season likely influenced again by existing signings (Ballinger and Johnson already contracted). Also worth noting that until Hinder was injured, the Crocs nor any other team had signed him either.

Reply #343615 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

If DJ was completely out of the picture, then I wouldn't have a problem with having Schensher back.

However, the smart thing would have been to have kept him from 2008-09 and not to have considered DJ at all.

Honestly, what DJ lacks in defence right now can be supplemented with Simpson and better Perim D in the likes of Creek and Herbert.

Considering their play styles and tendancies, the Sixers could play DJ at the 4-spot and Simpson at the 5-spot with better results on D.

Reply #343616 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

(for the record I'd probably rather DJ too. Schenscher isn't going to get any better at this stage, DJ still has upside...)

Reply #343618 | Report this post

imonawinner  
Years ago

Last time luke played in adelaide the game style played by the 6 ers did not suit his game. In townsville they clearly played to him and were successful to make it within a whisker of a gf appearance. I think the poster is stating that if marty didn't style the 6ers game to run through luke then why recruit him. If we had signed luke then we probably wouldn't have ever signed an import big as we would have had dj, balls & luke, therefore never discovering simpson.

Reply #343641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Ninnis had played Schenscher the minutes he deserved and proved he should be playing from the start of the season that he was here, thats your team MVP. No question, he was a the most influential on the team. Come playoff time he will be make the Crocs very difficult to stop. There biggest issue is Cedar, he is so up and down its dangerous to have to rely on him to often.

Reply #343647 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

imonawinner, fair enough but if it wasn't for Williamson being injured we would have never discovered Simpson either :P

Anonymous you are right about Ninnis not playing Schenscher at the start but Schenscher didn't really step up in the finals last season (if I remember correctly) so can't say he will be a dominate force this season in the finals.

Reply #343651 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

To be honest I think it's going to be guards that determine the outcome of finals games this season. Guys like Lisch, Gill, Jackson, Corletto, Martin, Gibson etc will have a big say in who gets the silverware

Reply #343652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro why do you think that is the case? Perhaps its the one big guy that can start dominating and make his guard teammates better and get open shots that will make the difference.

Reply #343671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it will be the best team. it's not an individual sport, especially in a league this deep

Reply #343680 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I am really glad we have DJ over Schenscher. I get really frustrated watching Luke, because he doesn't seem to use his dominant size as effectively as he could, doesn't have great touch around the basket and hasn't got the mobility to "go and get" rebounds. DJ is just fun to watch, because he is so talented offensively. Being a lot quicker than Luke, if he applies himself he can become a much better defender too. He's also about 5 years younger to boot and should continue to get better, whereas I doubt Schenscher will get much better than he already is.

Reply #343700 | Report this post

Fletcher  
Years ago

Im hopeing schencher will get better for a player his size he could really do some damage under the basket. The last few games he hasnt played the best but he may get better coming off that injury otherwise he's just an average, slow big. At this point Simpson and DJ are the better picks

Reply #343733 | Report this post

G  
Years ago

Big Red is a BIG USELESS GUMBY. I have never seen a more useless waste of a body in my life - maybe with the exception of Neville. He has no post up game and is too slow. There's a reason he isn't playing NBA. Give me Simpson any day. Just make him work on his free throws. Even Shaq's free throws look better

Reply #344840 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:26 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754