Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers @ Gold Coast

The Sixers are in the Gold Coast and despite what people think, both teams are closer than predicted IMO. The GC are holding 4th spot and are keen to reward fans with a Chrissie present at the expense of the hapless Sixers. The Sixers welcome Bartlett this game and sometimes that is just the X factor required to steal a win on the road.

With all games of basketball, D is the key to the win. Offensively, the Sixers are 3rd, but defensively, a distant 9th. Too many easy layups, too many soft offensive boards, practically non-existant help D, all combined with a defensive setup the Leyland Brothers would enjoy. I want to see a defensive setup like some self proclaimed redneck messiah with all the fortifications, claymores, and barb wired in place.

The Blaze have some great players but Worthington is the dangerman who seems to hold it together for them. Just when they need a score, the "wolverine" sinks a three from the corner pocket.

A win in possible, but the Wolverine needs to be tamed, and D is the key.

Topic #27169 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the GC will win this as Gibbo is hitting some form and deleon's shots will start dropping again soon enough - adel only hope is if weigh and johnson fire

Reply #344260 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Which game on tv?

Reply #344267 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Sydney Townsville game is the televised game

Reply #344271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers will win this and won't lose again this season. They will beat NZ in the Finals

Reply #344272 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

As always Jack, love your write ups.

Sixers by 8, momentum carrying us through the New Year for some wins.

Reply #344280 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Should be a fun game to watch as both teams ae garbage when it comes to playing defense, I suspect first to 100 will win and we will probably have both teams in triple figures by the end of the game.

The Blaze will be still riding high after the come back last week against the Wildcats and even though Harvey is still missing with his Calf issues they should get a comfortable win. In saying that if they take things easy at all the Sixers can put points on the board fast.

Blaze to win, 109 - 96 :) and watch out for Bubbles, with eleon and Gibbo getting all of the 6ers defensive focus he will be ready to explode in this one

Reply #344285 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I'll be at the game cheering hard and loud for the sixers, hoping not to be utterly embarrassed!
The Blaze are a really good side though and will be tough to beat at home.

Blaze by 8 but come on sixers!

Reply #344286 | Report this post

tyrantT  
Years ago

Cant see on winning given we had a great opportunity the other week at home, however we can play well when we play Perth away, so why not?

GC by 9 in a high 80's game score

Reply #344304 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I watched the first half of the Blaze game last week and they were rubbish. They looked as bad as Wollongong had here the night before, so I flicked it off. I have no idea how they could have turned their form around from there to win.

If we play the Blaze from the first half last week, we win. If we play the Blaze that kept Perth to 22 points in the second half, we have Buckley's chance and will lose by a lot.

Reply #344311 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You'd hope Adelaide learnt from those mistakes last game. We were in it for a long time despite those.

Reply #344314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blaze by 15.

Reply #344320 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Great work by the Sixers getting Worthington into foul trouble. he has 3 fouls in 3 minutes of court time. This will go along way to winning the game

Reply #344339 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

we were going ok but now its out to 11 at the half.

Reply #344340 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Not a good second quarter at all, allowed the Blaze to run a muck... thats the kind of quarter that goes along way to winning the game aswell unfortunately... sigh

Reply #344341 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Its like we put on Wildcats uniforms after the first and let the Blaze control the game.....hopefully they come out with a bit more fire in the second half.

Reply #344343 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Do something! This is going to get very bad!

Reply #344346 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

I still think we should change our colours to brown and be known as the Adelaide Faeces

Reply #344348 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Great one week (against a weak opponent).....horrible after quarter time the next.

If not for....shock horror.....Simpson & DJ's scoring right now this would be worse.

Warren is 1/11 with 3 assists and as a team we're currently hitting 38%. Its simply not good enough. How can the 36ers go from what we saw last week against the Hawks to what the stats say is happening on the Gold Coast tonight?

Reply #344349 | Report this post

Jamie  
Years ago

A Gibson - he is the best guard in the NBL by a million miles, there is nothing he cannot do extremely well. He is and always has and always will be a basketball genius. Simmo and Johnno from the 6rs are trying there best (as they do each and every week) but no one else on the 6rs team provide any meaningful supprt to the cause.

Reply #344350 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Warren 1 from 11 from the field!!

Reply #344351 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

HoldenV8, maybe because we are crap!

Reply #344352 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

An ABL team would have beaten the Hawks last week.

Holden, you would think with Warren having such a bad game Weigh would actually take the opportunity to step up but just as expected he isn't. He will probably score a few points in the last quarter to pad his stats.

If you told me going into the last quarter Worthington, Hudson and Deleon had 15 combined and no Harvey, I would think the Sixers would be winning.

Reply #344353 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Another person in funk town is Herbert who still has played almost the same amount of minutes as Warren.

Reply #344354 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Not sure about Gibbo being the best PG going round, but he is in some old form and ought get back to back player of the week awards!

Reply #344357 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Not sure about Gibbo being the best PG going round, but he is in some old form and ought get back to back player of the week awards!

Reply #344358 | Report this post

tyrantT  
Years ago

damning stat: we missed how many inside the key to them?

shame the shot chart doesnt lie

Reply #344359 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Looks like I jinxed it for Weigh as he didn't play the last quarter.

Reply #344360 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yawn, needs to be an immediate shake up at 6ers. Its well overdue now. Ive been going to games as a season ticket holder since '94 and guess what im so bored with this crap, its all just about the club saving money and not paying the cost to be the boss... of the league ladder.

Reply #344361 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Final score (NBL site does not seem to have it)

Reply #344363 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

think we went down by 19

Reply #344364 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

And people thought that the Blaze were a "Jekyll & Hyde" team. Joey's boys ain't got nothin' on the 36ers.

Reply #344365 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Holden, this was always going to happen, adelaide simply beat a team last week who are clearly the very worst in the NBL right now. The Hawks looks so depressed in stages. Adelaide was always going to get thumped by who ever they played this week, poorly coached and now under manned too.

Reply #344366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I knew to enjoy last week's win while it lasted. This team cannot build a streak. It's frustrating.

The playing style is getting boring and frustrating. I don't blame the long-term season ticket holders considering saving some dollars. It's crap.

I still think we should sack the coach and get a new one. I still think he's useless.

Reply #344368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's not old form for Gibbo, he has never played like this before! Could make some noise in London if he keeps this up. Two weeks a season doth not make however.

Reply #344370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was at the game and gibbo's in form cause deleon has been pulled in and joey sat him the moment he didn't run the set play each time - I think he's seen enough of the one on five plays, cadee and garlep were huge off the bench also

Reply #344372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not sure why Gibbo was ever moved from the pg spot. Deleon is a scorer and should be on the wing.

Reply #344374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lost by 19 and the 36ers got smashed on the boards 45-26.

Might want to re-think the stupidity of not signing a big to replace Ballinger.

Reply #344381 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Up the Gold Coast for Christmas and couldn't believe my luck when I found out the Sixers were in town. Couple of things I picked up on;

The Furnace is a great place to watch basketball, not a bad seat in the house and the movie cinema chairs make it all the more comfortable!

Despite the great viewing and exceptional seating, the atmosphere is not even slightly close to what we get week in week out in Adelaide. We are a very, very lucky basketball community.

The Blaze have very efficient merchandise stands and their players are very interactive with fans throughout the week and before and after games.

The scoreboard is pretty sweet as well!

Now to the game.

I went to the home game a few weeks back and saw an exciting contest and was expecting the same tonight. The first quarter gave exactly what I expected..plenty of offence and next to no defence from both sides. It was all downhill after that!

Seems the same thing every week is that our defense is an absolute disgrace. Creek is one of our top 2 one on one defenders and he struggled tonight. Herbert has clearly lost a step since his knee injury and he is our second best. The rest i'm afraid could not guard a stobie pole. You know you're in real trouble when Darren Ng is you're best team defender. I have not always been a big fan of Darren but he has clearly worked hard on his defence. He was the only guy getting to splitline and then helping out on rotations and when I say 'the only guy' I literally mean it! Credit to Darren tonight, he was very solid in his time on the floor.

Moving to the other end of the court, offensively we seem really lost. The amount of times that we ineffectively moved the ball around the three point line only to dump it into Diamon or DJ with single digits on the clock and nowhere to go was astounding and very frustrating to watch. Inside the paint is the best way to score points but tonight it seemed our only way. When the Blaze got help defenders and clogged the paint we had absolutely no answer. Very little inside outside action and lots of guys *cough* Stephen Weigh *cough* just standing outside the perimeter watching. It's clear we are looking to go inside alot more and credit to Marty for recognising that but you've gotta have a plan B mate and tonight we had nothing else.

Breaking down the players performance;

Adelaide

Daniel Johnson - always a threat offensively, some shots just didn't fall. Defensively gotta be tougher in all areas, should be pulling down more rebounds 4 isn't enough although admittedly the Blaze didn't miss alot. MUST KEEP HIM.

7/10

Diamon Simpson - also a constant threat offensively, worked extremely hard all night and took alot of hits. MUST KEEP HIM.

7/10

Stephen Weigh - apart from the second shot of the game went totally unnoticed. Can't play himself into games and just doesn't get involved. Doesn't have a clue about defence, but then again neither does most of the team.

2/10

Mitch Creek - really struggled tonight guarding Gibson but then most would have. I really like that he's starting and getting more minutes. Was hindered by foul trouble tonight but is still our best one on one defender. Once he develops a jumpshot he'll be fantastic.

2/10

Chris Warren - doesn't seem to be much of a facilitator. Is quick but struggles to finish around the rim. Can be explosive but isn't consistent enough. Also struggles defensively. Just wasn't on tonight.

3/10

Nathan Herbert - struggled offensively, struggled defensively. Total brain fade to go and double Gibson who was running the clock out to end the half when he had to leave Cadee, who'd just hit 2 threes in a row. Barely made it half way when Gibson lobbed it over his head to an open Cadee who splashed his third triple. Has really lost a step. Played two many minutes.

2/10

Darren Ng - deserved more minutes tonight, played great team defence and held his own one on one. Hit 3 threes. One of the few sixers who looked to get out of first gear.

6/10

Tom Daly - could've sworn he played more than 2 minutes. Seemed pretty comfortable out there handling the ball. Isn't much of a scoring threat but doesn't turn it over and gets the offence in some sort of motion. Deserved more of Herbert and Weigh's minutes.

5/10

Everard Bartlett - looked a little lost and a bit shy but will be a scoring threat unlike most. Was harsh of Marty to throw him in as the lone ball handler in the last quarter considering he seemed to know little offence. Did reasonably well for his first game and hit his first shot.

5/10

Wade Helliwell - offers nothing at either end, I would rather see us play DJ and Diamon for 35 minutes each and play small ball for 10 or so. Needs a haircut.

2/10

Gold Coast

Adam Gibson - utter class. As if 27 8 and 4 doesn't say enough. Get him in the green and gold I say.

10/10

Will Hudson - came off the bench and got fend some handy dunks, mainly from Adelaide's defence. You know you're bad when Petrie fumbles the ball and it bounces straight through the middle of the key leaving Hudson to chase it and dunk uncontested. Did flop on a Helliwell elbow, not a fan of him but did his job.

6/10

Jason Cadee - was a spark and constant perimeter threat of the bench. Knocked down his shots tonight. Won't ever be Boomers worthy, but a good developing kid.

8/10

Adris Deleon - was contained reasonably well by Warren and Creek actually. Probably tried to do too much which explains the 6 turnovers and was oddly rotated by Wright. Wasn't the scoring threat he was in Adelaide a few weeks ago.

5/10

Tom Garlepp - had some nice blocks tonight. His 3 turnovers let him down a little but didn't really effect anything more than his stats. More athletic than he looks, handy role player.

6/10

Anthony Petrie - probably the guy I dislike the most from the Blaze. Sticks his nose in everything and is more talk than walk. Hit some jumpers tonight but otherwise just got up my nose.

5/10

Stephen Hoare - still a savvy vet. Started tonight and had 10 8 and 4. Does more than what the stats suggest.

7/10

Chris Goulding - was always a huge fan of his since high stakes hoops however he seems to be a real arrogant twat. Very inconsistent and doesn't do a whole lot apart from hit the occassional 3 and it was the same tonight. Flopped on countless occassions, whined to the refs and talked more trash than his game backed up. Disappointing considering he used to be one of my favourite players. Still has fantastic hustle, something the Sixers miss. Probably would like him more if he was wearing Sixer blue.

5/10

Mark Worthington - love him at the Boomers, hate him anywhere else. Picked up 4 quick fouls and they were ALL legitimate hacks. Winged and complained at everyone and continued to do so on the bench. Should be T'd up and shut up. Sixers dealt with him well.

1/10

Marty Clarke - rotations weren't awful but not spectacular. Offence is hit and miss and defence is non-existent. What does his future hold?

Joey Wright - interesting rotation of Deleon. Was fired up in the first half when it was close with his usual whining to the refs but calmed in the second when the lead blew out.

Referees - were alright in periods and dreadful in others. Lacked consistency. Missed some horrors like Goulding's speckie on Ng and Hoare and Hudson's high tackle on Diamon and then called some shockers like Weigh's illegal screen. Inconsistent, but the Sixers were worse.

Oh and on another note. Anyone at the game notice the constant trash the courtside announcer was talking? His constant "and another brick" sledging whilst true seemed pretty unprofessional. Can't imagine Skip or anyone from Adelaide pulling this.

Reply #344383 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Court announcers need to shut up unless they are conveying info on who's leaving the court and who's coming on or trying to get the crowd into the game ie: defense chant etc. The odd airball call isn't so bad but yelling out "brick" every time the opposition shoot is weak.
Talking smack about the opposition over a loud speaker is without class and any franchise that endorses it needs to have a look at themselves and the values their club represent.

Reply #344390 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Gibbo is playing well, but lets keep in mind its against the 36ers who offer minimal resistance and havent been able to shut down individual starts for years.

Reply #344392 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Thanks for he report AK-47, much appreciated. So what you are saying is the only thing Sixers fans can take from this win is that Worthington was the worst player on court? ;-)

Reply #344397 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Well agree previous poster that although tease us with signs this team is not going to be even reasonably successful and has to be overhaul starting in getting quality coach but have SOS got money or still have desire to do so.
We get smashed on boards week in week out and have one of our so called stars guards on one leg trying to cover as fwd but we dont want to even try and get another big to cover our captain.
There might not be stars out there but surely someone to help out especially on D
Doesnt Clarke want his job next year and SOS want to lose all there supporters

Reply #344399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

players don't want to play in Adelaide. Not because of the coach, but because of the city. Not a major market.

Reply #344401 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Great report AK-47!

Mottram would have helped with the rebounding

Reply #344407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe24 - Gibbo was just as good last week against perth and their guards who are toughest in league

Reply #344411 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Great report AK-47

Reply #344414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If anything to take from this is that Diamon Simpson's free throws are getting somewhat better. I see a little bit of arch happening!

Reply #344440 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

A little bitta Helliwell's coaching there . I noticed here.

Holmes Bruce Schenscher interesting to watch amyways

Reply #344442 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

People dont like them calling stuff out..but we do the exact same thing at the 36er's games...Those stupid bloody sounds when they miss "Ha Ha". its disgraceful to think that people in a professional role in Australian sport think that this is respectful and not plain stupid.

Its embarrasing to bring to people to the games and have them look at you when they hear this crap.

Reply #344451 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I think the sounds are fine, the Blaze used them as well although Skip does a much better job!

My complaint was the constant trash talk from the announcer. His constant banter about Adelaide's offence was pretty unprofessional. Skip calls the game and adds the occasional comic relief, fantastic. Constant banter and verbal belittlement is where I draw the line.

Reply #344461 | Report this post

Blazefan  
Years ago

Just be aware that we have a courtside announcer as well as a roving guy with a mike. The roving guy (Pickle) is a frigg'n twat. He's got mimimal knowledge and has slowly been working on the 'brick' thing over the season so far, reaching new lows on Friday. I've had enough of his crap and will be emailing my frustrations to the Blaze this week.

Reply #344486 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:16 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754