Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers @ The Kingdome

The Sixers suit up for their last game of calendar year 2012. Can they make it a goodie?

Sydney is their bogie side with the big sneeze padding his stats each time we meet and former Sixer and pinup boy Aaron Bruce showing why he should have been offered a spot in Marty's Army.

Once again, defense is the key. The Sixers are ranked 9th with a gap between them and 8th that Julius Hodge could tap dance through holding Mal's hand. It all gets down to rotations and match ups.

While a win would be a belated Christmas present, I'd like to see the new year's resolution be harder D, starting tonight.

Topic #27206 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warren v Bruce - Warren is electric on O but has shown time and time again that he is unable to contain the bigger guards. Bruce has had his way with Adelaide so far and whether it is Warren's inability to stop him or his desire to play better against his old team I'm not sure but he is certainly a key factor.

Creek v Madgen - Creek has started a few games but with Crosswell out he will see more time. Between he and Herbert they will look to curb Madgen's ability to shoot from range and get his mid-range game going.

Weigh v Bose - This is an interesting match-up as I don't think either guy can guard the other. I think Bose, in only his first season is a more rounded scorer but Weigh has all the tools and occasionally explodes for 20+.

Simpson v Grant - What a match-up! Simpson is the athletic workhorse who commands double-teams on the block and eats glass at both ends while Grant who has overcome a few injury niggles is an ultra-athletic forward who has probably produced the ten best dunks this season. He is also a power rebounder.

Johnson v Khazzouh - Another mouthwatering match-up down low. Johnson uses his speed and foot work to get his buckets as well as his reasonable mid-range jumper. Khazzouh, as we all know has his unorthodox post moves and excellent offensive rebounding.

Benches:
Bartlett, Daly, Herbert, Helliwell, Ng v Cooper, Martin, Dann, Iti, Gynes.
Neither bench possesses much firepower but Bartlett has shown he can be an NBL player while Ng has his shooting. Helliwell will provide a few fouls and Herbert might make a couple jump shots and defend hard.
Cooper and Martin are the same players; tiny guards who can't shoot that well. Dann is battling a foot issue while Gynes and Iti see limited time behind JK and JG.

Tip: Kings at home by 11+

Reply #344701 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Sixers by 7. I don't know why...just go with it.

Reply #344716 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Finally a 36er road game on the box.

Reply #344717 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

First away game on TV since our opening win in Perth. I guess it helps that its a) Sydney and b) no other games are on tonight. Though if Wollongong or Melbourne were playing someone tonight you could almost bet that One would show that game instead.....

Reply #344723 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Kings are playing really loose... 36ers offensive looks good. They are running the lanes.

Grant already grabbing splinters after two early fouls.

Reply #344724 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Did I read that stat right? Did 5'10" Chris Warren block 6'10" Julian Khazzouh??

Reply #344726 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Nice assist from Bartlett and just what the Doctor ordered, Darren Ng hits a 3 with 1 second to go to give us a 49-41 half time lead.

NOW we just need to keep it up for the next 2 periods.....

Reply #344727 | Report this post

alolomous  
Years ago

http://www.firstrowsports.tv/watch/100167/1/watch-sydney-kings-vs-adelaide-36ers.html#

Reply #344728 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Just how bad of coach is Moose.... Marty has questionable rotations, but Moose has no clue what so ever.

Worst coach in the league by a country mile.

Reply #344730 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

thank you alolomous ,you made my night(hoping your a chic haha)

Reply #344731 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

Khazzou is out of the game in the 3rd?

Reply #344733 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Please don't tell me Simpson is injured. Please just tell me Marty is a retarded idiot.

Why has he only played 15 minutes? He's only put up 1 shot in the second half. Hasn't been on since the 5 minute mark of the third.

Reply #344734 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Looks like we've finally worked it out.
Fouled out Khazzouh early in the last. Had Worthington in foul trouble early last week too.

Reply #344735 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

great to get the win, how come so few minutes for Creek and Simpson?? just rotations?

Glad to get the win but surely these 2 need 20 + mins and Weigh carrying an injury should play a little less.

Great game from Johnson, Herbert, Helliwell, Warren, Weigh.

Solid numbers from Bartlett, seems to be a good pick up.

Reply #344736 | Report this post

tyrantT  
Years ago

So we won another on the road, and our coach out-coached their coach.

maybe we should all buy x lotto tickets, and see how far the luck runs, ay?

Reply #344737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see Weigh padding his stats in junk time.....

Reply #344740 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Now that you mention it, Creek didn't play the last half either.
I'm getting really worried now. Captain and Vice Captain already gone. Now our superstar import and young up and coming star could be injured too.

Reply #344743 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

And did I mention Ng only played 4 minutes too?

Reply #344744 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

Win on the road 96-77

Reply #344745 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Good crowd tonight. 6,175. Well done to the people in Sydney for a great crowd.

No mention if Simpson or Creek were injured in the report just up on the NBL website.

Reply #344746 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Great crowd numbers according to the NBL website, I'll be curious to see how loud and full the stadium looks on the telecast (sorry to steal any thunder there Holden)

Reply #344747 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Correction.....6,165. Adelaide still has the best home crowd of the season (in Australia) ;)

Reply #344748 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

That's funny, I must have been channelling you Holden.

Reply #344749 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

No thunder stolen there BA. Anyone is free to put up things like that :P

The SEC looked good with a good size crowd (from the link above which had live streaming). We should see crowds like this in Sydney & Adelaide more often.

Reply #344750 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Weird, Creek plays 9 of the first 13 minutes then doesn't return, yet they don't mention it.
Same with Simpson not playing the last 15.
Or Ng only playing 4.

Surely Marty isn't that incompetent that he ran the risk of us losing by leaving 2 starters off for the majority of the second half?
Weigh was the one who was injured heading into the game I thought, not the other 3.

Reply #344751 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

Is this game on one tonight? if so what time?

Reply #344752 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

10:30pm on OneHD baller

Reply #344754 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Will have to watch this one.
Firstly to see us win for once.
Secondly to get to the bottom of the Creek and Simpson thing.

Reply #344756 | Report this post

Boss  
Years ago

Robilliard and/or ratzsch must go after that. It might already be too late

Reply #344764 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Watching the telecast, Creek just got Subbed out. Didn't seem to be anything in it. Standing in the Huddle at the time out, no worries.
Will continue watching, but can't see much.

Reply #344766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #344767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still want Bruce now? One win out of the top four. We need to believe now. Beat Cairns and be respectable against Nz? That's what we need now.

Reply #344768 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Simpson went for the dunk on a fast break. Seemed to jar his knee a bit. Now he's hobbling. Still out there at the moment, but might have shelved him as a precaution. Or maybe he injures it properly in the third

Reply #344769 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Gaze mentioned Simpson's knee giving way on an early break away dunk attempt off a steal. Perhaps that could explain Simpson's lack of minutes.

Ng was mentioned in the paper was being under a the influence of a virus.

Creek may have been confined to the bench after commiting a silly turnover, however I suspect Bartlett's game may have had more to do with Creek's time.

Reply #344770 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Gaze mentioned Simpson's knee giving way on an early break away dunk attempt off a steal. Perhaps that could explain Simpson's lack of minutes.

Ng was mentioned in the paper was being under a the influence of a virus.

Creek may have been confined to the bench after commiting a silly turnover, however I suspect Bartlett's game may have had more to do with Creek's time.

Reply #344771 | Report this post

SC  
Years ago

Wicked half court three by Ng on half time! Nothing but net!

Reply #344773 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Sorry for the echos, phone link playing up. Didn't see your post Hendo, but as you can see, I drew the same conclusion about Simpson.

Reply #344774 | Report this post

SC  
Years ago

And how the hell was there no foul call on the half court shot!

Reply #344775 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Travel and the foul both missed.

Reply #344776 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Damn even if you didn't know the final score and were just seeing the replay on One you'd know it was the 36ers night just from Ng's 3 on the half. Carfino was right, he traveled but not just before the shot, I thought he took about 2 or 3 steps before he even started dribbling LOL. Then he takes 4 steps going over half way and hits noting but net :)

Question, was he fouled as he took that shot? Looked like he might have been fouled by Bose..... Even though we won by 19 should that last play of the 1st half been a 4 point play opportunity?

Reply #344777 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Must say, from the half I've seen so far, Bartlett looks like a good fit. Handy player.

Reply #344778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think we need to worry to much about Simpson, although he didn't look to fare to well after being smoothered early in the 3rd, it just wasn't his night.

Rabbit, Herbie, helliwell, DJ, Kev (Bartlett) & Weigh did enough in the 3rd for Simpson to stay on ice (especially with the Khazzouh and Grant combo being hindered by fouls).

Reply #344781 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Sydney absolutely SUCKED this game, 0/9 3 pointers!..I mean REALLY..Good game by the guys and it was good to see them play the game out.
Marty still has alot to learn with his bloody rotations and the team he puts on the floor sometimes is scary..hes really been bailed out by the team lately. This team with an NBL coach would be alot stronger.

Ng's Half Court shot was fantastic and highlighted that the Ref's really did miss some BIG fouls tonight..and travel. Really annoying to see them miss very blatant obvious ones that knock people over then call hand slaps.

Reply #344782 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

At one point, Simpson seemed to have no lungs, commentators pointed it out, so maybe he had some flu symptoms also.

Herbie is now great value off the bench.

Bartlett has the game which suits our style. Great decision making at speed, great transition game. Wonder if he keeps this up whether they would consider honouring Crosswell's last contract year as an assistant coach? Clarke has mentioned his smarts often.

Reply #344783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aaron Bruce 4 pts, 1 ast, 5 to's & 1/10 from the field.

Reply #344786 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Ng's buzzer-beater:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMx_acFUKBw

Reply #344788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would I still want Bruce? Yes, he killed Adelaide in 3 of 4 games and Sydney won them all, meaning they take the season series. Sydney are also higher on the ladder.

Reply #344791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets not get too excited.

Sydney are awful and we are still 5-9....hardly earth shattering

Reply #344797 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

hardly earth shattering i agree but takes us 1 win from the 4, probably highlights the quality of ball in oz more then anything

Reply #344798 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I watched the replay on One last night and was impressed with Helliwell's effort. Apart from the two sloppy moving screens, he had a much improved game.

Hold the phone though, the olde Herbie is back.

Reply #344799 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Helliwell , who at 20stone , 7foot , hair in a bun
is not a pretty sight. Nevertheless , he began to play in the most meaningful way and we went to 21points in front when he fouled out.

Reply #344801 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Bruce definitely showed last night why Adelaide didn't want him this season. Even with people saying how great he has been playing against Adelaide his stats in the 4 games are

16 points per game @ 38%, 13 assist 13 turnovers.

Sydney he is all yours!

Great win by the Sixers last night. They showed they have heaps of talent and should be winning more regularly. Carfino and Gaze where surprised that we have been doing so badly with the team we have but never thought to mention it could be because of Clarke....

The umpires had some really bad non calls last night. DJ gets an obvious push in the back on the fast break and no foul is called. It was like the umpires where thinking "Yeah it was a foul but keep going". Then Warren gets a fouled called on him in defense when Khazzouh pushed his own player. Several other poor calls.

Helliwell is so frustrating to watch. EVERY GAME he gets called for a moving screen. We don't ask him to do much so he can at least get that right. Also almost every game he blows a layup. He is basically 7 foot, DUNK IT!!! If he misses the dunk then so be it but he is obviously struggling with this layup concept so he should just dunk it.

Reply #344803 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yay we beat the 3rd to bottom team. Perspective here people.

Reply #344804 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Kobe24- Yes it was a lowly ranked side, but it sure as hell beats 100 people calling for the coach's head. It was a good 'away' win.
Does it get us out of bottom place now?

Reply #344805 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I still want the coaches head, for one. Not up to it, and full of excuses. I dare Clarke to change my opinion with results... not one win but many. This team should be pushing for a playoff birth with the roster they have.

Reply #344806 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Very true Kobe. I think we will beat Cairns and then everyone will just forget about how crap Clarke has been.

Reply #344811 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Was at the game with the tribe so a few quick thoughts:

- their video screens are terrific
- seats very comfortable
- merchandise excellent and a whole lot of it (you can even buy Blagoy Janev singlets!)
- cheerleaders and staff very friendly
- Dean Uthoff is still a man mountain
- Sixers played very efficient and were well led by a terrific floor general
- Kings were terrible and desperately need a floor general
- great night all round but .... $28 for carparking? Ouch.

Reply #344816 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Moses Guthrie, I agree that their video screen is excellent BUT no where in the building can you see which player has scored what.

Reply #344821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris Warren was brilliant. Forget the stats, he led the Sixers exceptionally well. Shows the difference between a quality floor leader and a team that is a rudderless ship in the Kings.

Reply #344827 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Car parking anywhere in Sydney is expensive

Reply #344829 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Just to add to it..I still want Clark gone..Gaze was amazed were this low on the ladder and we all know why!

Reply #344832 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Good ol Gazey stays diplomatic till the end. Clarke hasnt got the chops, and like guys like Brad Hill Holmes etc, if he is to succeed in the NBL, im happy to see him do it else where, because he is clueless in Adelaide.

Reply #344844 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They need to string together wins before anyone should get too excited. Hopefully Cairns at home is gettable.

Reply #344853 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

The Taipans won't be easy, obviously, but we can win that one I think.

I think there is at least some reason for 36ers fans to get excited. We went 3-3 in December after being 2-6 in November so despite the loss of Balls & Cross the team have improved regardless of whether its just the players finally stepping up or Clarke's influence.

And I'll be the first to admit that I MIGHT have been wrong in my objections to the signing of Bartlett. He's doing good so far, taking pressure off Warren and even Herbie somewhat and his scoring has been good, but I'll see how he goes over the long run before I'll admit total defeat there :P

Reply #344891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings are only one game behind fourth. This was a good scalp, but the main reason Sydney won was robilliard running his bench for the last three minutes of the third. The lead went from 2 to 17 in that stretch. So it is hard to say whether the sixes were great, but it was an improvement over their horrible side which we have seen plenty of times earlier in the year.

Reply #344897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously, that was meant to read 'the main reason sydney lost'.

Reply #344898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The main reason Sydney lost is that Robilliard and Hudson might be the most incompetent and clueless coaching staff in NBL history.

Reply #344904 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:45 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754