fletcher
Years ago

Woolpert to face NBL tribunal

Does anyone really think he deserved to be kicked out of the game. Like Steve Carfino said "as a ref if you don't want people yelling at you then your in the wrong profession." He did go a bit overboard but they were getting a few rough calls. And he only really lost it once he was already getting kicked out. thoughts?

Topic #27254 | Report this topic

fletcher  
Years ago

sorry didnt see there already was a post for this in crocs vs hawks. refer to that

Reply #345484 | Report this post

Hydra 90  
Years ago

Steve Carfino said "as a ref if you don't want people yelling at you then your in the wrong profession."

And that's why sport ~ any sport ~ cannot attract enough people to officiate matches !

Reply #345515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carfino might have been a good player but he's not only very poor at understanding the rules but equally inept at understanding what's acceptable behaviour and what isnt. Sometimes i really think its a bad idea having ex players as commentators....

Reply #345518 | Report this post

WeDaBestMaan  
Years ago

That's bullshit. He served his time let it go.

Reply #345545 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

"he served his time...". Very funny.

So Les Boyd takes off a Queenslanders head in a state of origin match (from memory he got eight weeks) back in the 80's, and gets sent off.

But it's ok, he missed the rest of the match, so he should not have to serve the eight weeks.

Reply #345546 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Hardly grounds for further reprimand. Missed more than half a game.

Standard ejection behaviour: second T called, coach gets angry, coach leaves angry.

Nothing to see here people.

Reply #345549 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is an ejection an automatic referral to the tribunal?

Reply #345555 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

I believe that the person ejected has to be reported by the officials (and I did not see the game so it is hard to say whether his ejection warranted a report). It's not like the NBA where they have set penalties for an ejection, fighting etc and then some issues are dealt with by the commissioner and given a greater penalty. The NBL, on past performances, will probably slap him on the wrist and/or give him a fine. IMO a lot of people at the top have a similar point of view to Steve Carfino when it comes to referees. This is the complete opposite to the NBA where referees are respected and it is not normal for decisions of referees to be "analysed" in the smallest detail as is the case here. NBA TV commentators also have respect for the officials and appear to have a reasonable knowledge of the rules (which are more complicated in the NBA) compared to the NBL where the commentators do not appear to have a clue.

Reply #345557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon12 i totally agree, the quality and conduct of the NBA commentators is so far superior to ours its not funny, they show far more pooise and respect to the officials, as do the league in general.
Allot of unrest stems from the commentators questioning every call, people feed of it. Get better more game focused commentators in both the NBL and WNBL and things will present better.

Reply #345560 | Report this post

Just me  
Years ago

2 technical on a coach is 1 too many. If he can't pull his head in after an official warning, then the first technical, and then wants to carry on some more, why shouldn't he be ejected...? Aylen was just following the rule book. If that was Carfino being yelled at while he was trying to do his job, that how would he feel???

Reply #345562 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ANON12, interesting that you point to people agreeing with Carfino then suggest that NBL commentators don't have a clue...

I agree with Just me - acted up, would've had a warning, got the tech, continued to ignore the warnings, etc.

Small fine or reprimand and no other action. Not a big deal post-game.

Reply #345567 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think that was ANON 12's point Isaac, rightly or wrongly, he feels some people at the NBL agree with Carfino's "disrespect" for referees.

Reply #345568 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Thanks Paul that was my point. Isaac, probably I could have worded my comments in a more concise manner.
It now seems that the coach has been reported. The following from the nbl Website:

The National Basketball League has announced that Townsville Crocodiles Head Coach Paul Woolpert will face the NBL Tribunal this week on charges of Abusive Language and Unsportsmanlike Conduct.
The charges arose from the Townsville Crocodiles versus Wollongong Hawks match on Saturday night at the WIN Entertainment Centre in Wollongong.
Woolpert was ejected from the game in the second quarter and was subsequently reported by the match officials for his alleged behaviour during the match.
As a result, the matter will automatically be referred to the NBL Tribunal.
Woolpert has until 12:00PM Midday (AEDT) on Tuesday 10 January to decide whether to have the case heard at a formal hearing, or to have the matter heard via a telephone hook-up.
As per standard NBL rules, all parties are forbidden from publicly discussing the charges now that the matter has been referred to the Tribunal.

Reply #345574 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ANON12, my mistake - misread that bit. Thought you were defending the coach in this. IMO, you can make a point about refs calls without swearing, being intimidating, etc.

Reply #345579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it isnt automotic that a tribunal is required after an ejection in the NBL

Reply #345596 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

And Aylen would have to be one of the better ref's in the league today. He has improved quite a lot over the years, and is now probably the "Billy Mildenhall" of the current crop running around.

I personally think a couple of seasons of cracking down on comments/abuse to refs will fix the problem. Tell the refs to T up the first sign of dissent, and eject after that.

People will learn. Quick.

Reply #345612 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:20 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754