forcey
Years ago

Should or shouldn't we sack the coach?

What 1 thing that management could do do you think would help the Sixers fortunes? Replace Warren? Secure a legit replacement for Ballinger? Sack the coach?

I thought it would be a coaching change but after doing some breaking down of the issues I'm not so sure. Have written en extensive blog here.

http://36reasons.blogspot.com/2012/01/breaking-down-coaching-situation.html

There's some concerns there but outside getting a proven winner who can get the right import PG I think he deserves to see out his contract. What do you all think?

Topic #27275 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless the 36ers form turns around a fair bit in the second half of the season I think they'll have no real choice but to pull the pin on Clarke at the end of the season despite having a year left on his contract.

Should've done what I initially suggested before hiring him and gone after Ian Stacker, he's still an assistant with the Tigers I think.

Reply #345911 | Report this post

Muzz buzz  
Years ago

Yep anon you know your hoops.

Reply #345913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sack the coach once this season is done.

Reply #345914 | Report this post

idiots  
Years ago

Stacker is head coach of the Ais. Sick of reading lets sack the coach.

Reply #345916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stacker is not an Asst at the Tigers any more.
AIS infact. Good theory.

Reply #345918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okay I wasn't sure if Stacker got moved on or not with Gleeson coming in.

In saying that I dare say with a long enough deal and if the money is right I would think he'd prefer a HC job in the NBL with one of the most storied clubs in the league's history which has been under-performing and on a downward slide for a decade rather than the stop-gap AIS job coaching kids.

Reply #345924 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Seriously.

STFU.

Enough.

Ok?

Ok.

There are other teams in the league to talk about, if you're so sick of your sixers than discuss them.

Fact is, the Sixers don't have the cattle to compete with the better teams, bad coach or none. A good coach wouldn't necessarily guarantee a better result in the W column...

Reply #345925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sack coach before the club dies.

Reply #345926 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'924, doubt you'd get many people agreeing with any idea of locking in a replacement coach long term.

Reply #345934 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Mick how can you say we don't have the cattle to compete with the better teams?

Johnson one of the best centers in the league.
Warren and Simpson are 2 of the best imports in the league.
Weigh talented enough to be one of the best small forwards in the league.
We have the ability to replace ballinger with another 10 point player.
The bench has some really handy players as well.

The coach signed the players he wanted last season and this season. He has continued to struggle with the most basic fundementals of coaching. After this season they should definately let him go.

Reply #345940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I meant something like a 3 year deal (as given to both Ninnis & Clarke), I would think it highly unlikely anyone serious would be interested in terms less than that.

Reply #345942 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

On the point about Ng coming in to guard Warren. Warren subsequently missed a three (Ng rebound) then hit a three (left him to help in the paint) and a contested two.

But prior to that, he'd hit 3/4 threes on Herbert and/or Creek. If Ng had given up 3/4 threes, Herbert or Creek would be the ones you'd argue should be brought in to defend Warren, right? Hard to win every situation!

Reply #345944 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Isaac one of our memories are bad as I remember warren getting at least 2 on NG.
But biggest worry is to get season ticket holders back again next year if keep Clarke .
Either way is going to cost SOS group who must be worrying about their investment.
I would be

Reply #345948 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I was going by the play-by-play from the FIBA site.

When Ng was on, Warren's first score was from the Adelaide bench corner. Ng had sagged off him to protect the paint as a Cairns player had found a gap and was headed to the basket. From memory, there were two 36ers then trying to smother that player.

The second score, I think, was Warren going left for a baseline jumper. Not a perfectly high percentage shot, but he was obviously feeling it.

Prior to Ng coming on, the two successive Warren threes were on Herbert I think. Creek had gone off after picking up a foul from Wilson and Weigh was one of two incoming subs.

Reply #345952 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

Isaac, you defend Ng a fair bit- is he a mate?

Reply #345964 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

"When Ng was on, Warren's first score was from the Adelaide bench corner. Ng had sagged off him to protect the paint as a Cairns player had found a gap and was headed to the basket. From memory, there were two 36ers then trying to smother that player."

IMO any good defender knows that you don't sag off the shooter to help out a drive. The help comes from the weak side for the drive allowing the defender to stay out on the shooter. Maybe in juniors you can afford to sag off and help because shooting % and consistency is lower but not in pro ball when shooters are having a good night.

Having said this I did not see the game so ignore this rant

Reply #345969 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

oh and because I was not at the game Ng could have been the weak side help so take it back if so.

Reply #345970 | Report this post

Bye Bye Marty  
Years ago

I'm sick of hearing all the talk about sacking the coach, just bloody do it, that'll fix it....

Reply #345975 | Report this post

Muzz buzz  
Years ago

Isaacs recollection is correct Ng was brought in and denied warren the ball. He got burnt when he collapsed to help on a Wilson drive who then kicked it to warren.

Befor that herbie should have been guarding warren

Reply #345984 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Flinders80 he was the weak side help. It was either give an uncontested layup or help out.

"Either way is going to cost SOS group who must be worrying about their investment."

From what I understand (correct me if I am wrong) It wont be as bad for SOS to pay out Marty's contact next season thanks to Ballinger.

Since Ballinger went down doesn't that mean Insurance pays the rest of Ballingers contract for the season? So if he is on $200k and he only played a quarter of the games then that is a saving of $150k.

So we can just use that $150k next season to pay out Clarke's contract and get someone that actually knows how to coach a professional team. This is why I suspect or at least hope this is the reason they didn't get another player to replace Ballinger.

Reply #345986 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

It's going to hurt paying out Clarke for sure.

However, if he is able to walk straight into another job I don't think it would cost us much, if anything, to terminate his contract under those circumstances.

Reply #346019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont have the cattle MIck??

Coaches picked their team...

Reply #346025 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

ineedmore, as I wrote if my calculations and assumptions are correct, It won't cost anything other then the fact that we didn't get value for money

Reply #346075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You'll be paying two coaches....one sacked one, and the new one....now if it's a massive name like everyone is assuming (j0yce/Goorjian/Stacker/Watkins/Molloy/Cotter), then he'll want big money...

Reply #346100 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Yes they will be paying two coaches BUT with Ballinger out of the team for 75% of this season that salary would be about $150k (providing insurance is paying) so that money will go to Clarke so essential they are paying for one coach while having an under strengthed team this season

Reply #346129 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Insurance covers Ballinger's medical side but not his salary AFAIK. i.e., Sixers are still paying his wage whether he plays or not.

Reply #346156 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:37 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754