Anon
Years ago

Ubaka sacked from tigers??

Can anyone confirm the rumor that ubaka has been fired for failing to attend a sponsors function?

Topic #27321 | Report this topic

True  
Years ago

I havent heard that rumour but I did watched the Tigers vs Blaze game and listening to Andrew Gaze explain the tigers lack of urgency & desire to win convinced me the tigers possibly are on the verge of missing out on the NBL finals.. I know it might be a big call at this stage of the season with lots of games left but I feel they DO NOT have any floor leadership or direction that they once had with Patty Mills..it was so important and got them playing awsome basketball.

I felt sorry for Andrew having to commentate in front of his beloved Tigers crowd making the comment that this was one of the worst games the tigers have played this season and the Tigers Legend was embarrassed!

True

Reply #346523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CONFIRMED

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/tigers-ceo-unleashes-tirade-fires-import-20120116-1q1p2.html

Reply #346527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow. surprised he didnt want to attend a function considering it would of been a chance to get wasted ? ;)

Reply #346528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supposedly Seamus McPeake stormed into the Tigers locker room immediately after the game, gave the players a serve and then axed Ubaka on the spot.

Reply #346529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

must of been something else going on as an undercurrent before that surely. pretty decisive & swift action to take.

Reply #346530 | Report this post

WeDaBestMaan  
Years ago

CEO probs lost heaps of money on that game or something. I only lost 150 and still i was pissed off.

Reply #346532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

for a guy whose contract would include off court requirements, and to not show up, but call someone else unprofessional ? yea okay. good to see hes lost none of his blasé attitude he had on the gc. well hidden among other guys in a similar basket there !

Reply #346533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not necessarily McPeake tends to do this stuff most years now and did it last season axing Al Westover, Devendorf & Nevill in one hit last season.

Reply #346534 | Report this post

A-train  
Years ago

Seamus McPeake is a disgrace to the tigers and the league, the leagues most notorious worst owner.

Reply #346535 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Disgraceful the 3 of them left Cairns. Tigers were terrible tonight. Hope they've got Patty on the way...

Reply #346536 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Corletto will be laughing his ass off.

Reply #346538 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Suprised he didnt sack Dorsey. He's lost his game & totally sucks!!

Reply #346539 | Report this post

Billy!!  
Years ago

So do Sydney Sack Ratch and sign ubaka now with Bruce out???

Reply #346541 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Ubaka would be a great asset to a lot of teams in this league.

Reply #346542 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Wonder if they've got Patty on the way & thats why its Ubaka & not Dorsey. Mills & Dillon is a strong backcourt. Is Gleeson safe? They played terribly & without desire. Trev must be having sleepless nights!!

Reply #346546 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reports that McPeake sacked him without first telling Gleeson or Greer. Gleeson's contract says he has final say on players.

Reply #346547 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Somehwere Rod Grizzard is starting a help group.

Reply #346549 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Twitter say he'll be on SEN Radio this morning to discuss why he's walked out on the club.

Please post on here later if anyone listens to it

Reply #346550 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Heard the interveiw this morning on SEN....sounds like the Seamus walked in gave it to the playing group and them sacked Ubaka.

there is always 2 sides to every story but i must say i'm surpirsed it was Ubaka getting the flick as it wouldn't have surprised me if this had happened to Dorsey!

Will be really interesting to see how this plays out over the next few days as the Tigers have no PG's (Dillon is a combo guard) so hopefully Patty is on a plane back to Melb right now!

Kings could do worse than to call Ubaka but then again they played really well with 2 pass first point guards against Townsville (i thought it really help Bose & co to be a scoring threat)

Reply #346552 | Report this post

marty  
Years ago

Ubaka suffered from being a shooting guard forced to play point guard. He was hopeless in making his team mates better or setting up opportunities. Slow getting the ball moving up the court, slow moving the ball around, and not enough drive-and-dish. For that I blame Gleeson. Anyway, Gleeson's decision-making suggests that he won't be round much longer either.

Reply #346553 | Report this post

Listening to SEN atm (approx 8:45am mexican time) and newsreader said Ubaka was sensationally sacked after getting into a change room argument with CEO Shamus McPeake.

SEN radio interview
http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Melbourne-Tigers-Ayinde-Ubaka/3715
McPeake pointed fingers, told Ubaka to leave and find another job, so he did. Apparently McPeake and someone else got into argument after Ubaka left. Ubaka very diplomatic in the interview.

Melbourne Age Story:
Tigers CEO unleashes tirade, fires import
Roy Ward
January 16, 2012 - 12:30AM
Read later

Ayinde Ubaka in action for the Melbourne Tigers. Photo: Getty Images
MELBOURNE Tigers season was in disarray last night with owner and chief executive Seamus McPeake firing import Ayinde Ubaka without his coach's knowledge.

A source close to the team told The Age McPeake stormed into the Tigers' locker-room and unleashed a tirade on the players before firing Ubaka on the spot following the Tigers 73-60 loss to the Gold Coast Blaze at the State Netball and Hockey Centre.

Ubaka confirmed the report last night via a text message but wouldn’t comment further until later today.

Advertisement: Story continues below
But he made it clear he was furious about his axing and the "unprofessional" manner in which it happened.

Ubaka’s sacking was believed to have happened without the knowledge of coach Trevor Gleeson and captain Tommy Greer who were facing a post game press conference.

Ubaka also confirmed his teammates and coaches knew nothing about the move until it had happened.

Ubaka’s sacking would contravene one of the key agreements of Gleeson’s agreement to join the club as he demanded final say on all player movements.

During Gleeson's first press conference with the club both McPeake and Gleeson himself confirmed the coach had final say on his players.

McPeake was reported to have made a similar move last season where he was said to have threatened to not pay his players due to their poor performance.

McPeake has repeatedly denied those reports.

Former Tigers centre Luke Nevill told The Age last season to “ask Seamus” when Nevill was asked about if McPeake had stormed into the locker-room.

Nevill left the team to take an offer from a Russian club soon after the reported confrontation.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/tigers-ceo-unleashes-tirade-fires-import-20120116-1q1p2.html#ixzz1jZ99XuEI

Reply #346554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is why I, and many other Victorians, cannot bring themselves to support the Tigers! Cannot wait to support the new Melbourne franchise, I don't care if they fold after a couple of seasons, it hasnt stopped me before!
Unprofessional, venue is way too hard to get too, and it costs and arm and leg!

Reply #346555 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The simple fact is they only had two guards because they didnt replace Mills, forcing Ubaka and Dillon to carry too much of the load. Given how competitive they have been with a pretty average roster - no Mills or Burston for two months - Ubaka has done a solid job.

At this stage Mills cant get a clearance from the CBA, so the Tigers will need to get an import out here quick smart with only 10 games left if they are 1) going to make playoffs and 2) the import is going to qualify.

At 9-9 it is hardly panic stations though.

Reply #346556 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I mean, at 9-9 it should hardly be panic stations, but they seem to be in disarray now.

Reply #346557 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I'm only laughing harder than ever. when they signed the 3 Taipans and Gleeson they were all arrogant acting like they gonna win and Seamus thinking he's gonna win a championship after the shake up. Now that's karma

Reply #346558 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

As a Tigers fan, I cant question McPeake's passion for the team or game.....but as an owner, a face of a club, and representative of the sport (which is very concerning as he is obese) he is simply a douche.

Reply #346559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Corey Williams is signed we'll know who is in charge!!

Reply #346561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you think Seamus actually thought about this decision? Or just walked into the changeroom, gave them a spray, Ubaka disagreed and he sent him packing?

Seems an emotional decision, which could very well cost them the season, Ubaka wasnt the problem on this team.

Reply #346562 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

There is a difference between emotion and logic. Rather than sleeping on it and then meeting this morning to discuss with the coach he pulls the trigger.Feel sorry for the coach being undermined.Al must be laughing over in Japan.

Reply #346563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Tigers should aim to get Mills back and get an import big as they're being outrebounded in every game.

Reply #346566 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Al got axed for standing up for his players (Devendorf) we'll see what Gleeson do now

Reply #346567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure how Dorsey survived the axing! Wondering whether Gleeson is soon to follow? I hope so. For a previous coach of the year he has been disappointing.

Reply #346569 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I listened to the SEN interview as well but Im not so sure its all done and dusted.

Chewy said Seamus had a blow up and told him to get out, so he did. He then however went on to say that he was still going to go to training today and carry on with his daily routine - maybe he is rethinking actually walking out of the changeroom in the heat of the moment?
Maybe it was just a locker room blowup that got out of hand and in the cold light of day Seamus and Chewy will have a chat and move forward?

God knows they need to with 2 matches this weekend that could make or break their season.

Reply #346570 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

The NBL website confirms that Ubaka has been sacked for what that is worth.
Tropical Booz - not sure if Patty is on the way back when he was sitting in the crowd yesterday watching St Mary's beat Portland.

Reply #346571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

100% true MW.. i was bout to say the same thing. westover got the axe for sticking up for his players but got no support from an emotional asshole in mcpeake. lets see if gleeson really cares about his players and stands up for them. al must be loving it in japan now (saw on facebook he's an allstar coach)

Reply #346572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

also, 60 points is the lowest score by a tigers team in NBL history, going back to 1984! pretty amazing

Reply #346574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Getting rid of Al was the biggest mistake the tigers have made and bad decisions have followed since that time.

Reply #346576 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Another thing to consider is how quick they can get a replacement.By the time he gets here and the paperwork is processed it might take upto a fortnight.

Reply #346577 | Report this post

ox  
Years ago

its the tigers, happy days, itll be done when they say its done.

Reply #346578 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

yes kings should sack ratzsch and get ubaka straight away. while there at it get gleeson after hes sacked.

homocide!!!!!!

Reply #346583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The tigers as a brand after the past two years is completely getting ruined

Reply #346585 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Don't like the way this went down but without the fat C^nt as someone put it there wouldn't be a Melbourne Tigers or a team in Melb which would equate to no NBL so unless your a Millionaire with plenty to spend your just gonna have to suck it up and relise this is the way Seamus goes about his business!

Reply #346597 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

TW, as you mentioned, Seamus put up the cash to buy the club, so he CAN run it anyway he likes, but he will soon not have any players wanting to play with the club due to the way he carries on. That's the part he'll have to suck up.

Reply #346599 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Melbourne are a really solid close knit organization who really look after their athletes, lol

Reply #346600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not true ^
there have been quite a few guys willing to take over from seamus over the years but he's an attention slut and loves to make himself feel even bigger. remember the tigers pulled out of the NBL? then someone was ready to bring them back but seamus wanted the team to himself

Reply #346602 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Latest offering from Tigers:

In a brief text message to The Age, a Tigers spokesman said Ubaka was released and the club would be making no further comment at his stage.

'Ubaka walked out of a team post-game address from Tigers chief executive Seamus McPeake and has been released from his contract,' he said.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/ubaka-to-front-up-to-tigers-training-despite-sacking-20120116-1q2fz.html#ixzz1jaLfQG00

Reply #346618 | Report this post

Boss  
Years ago

prediction: ubaka will end up staying at the tigers.
But melbourne still need to sign a replacement for mills, dont know why the hell they never did

Reply #346621 | Report this post

marty  
Years ago

Unfortunately, the NBL will put up with Seamus because they need the Tigers right now. Once the new Melbourne team gets established and has dragged away swags of supporters, then maybe they'll finally do something about his behaviour. By then it will be too late for the Tigers fans, though - I reckon we'll start seeing them stay away.

Reply #346634 | Report this post

Rick  
Years ago

McPeake should shut his sizeable pie hole, and stick to administering club affairs........leave the coaching and player management to the coach!

Only an absolute egomaniac would behave in such a manner, pull yourself togther McPeake!

Reply #346636 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Seamus seems to be getting all "Sudam Hussain" on the club from the look of it. Might have to re-brand the tigers "The Melbourne Dictators".

Frankly the guy can invest as much money as he wants, but he's an absolute joke if he thinks that gives him the right to tell people how to do their job when he has no experience in said profession.

I don't mind an owner being vocal during game time as if he was just another fan, but his ego needs to be checked quick. I wouldn't mind seeing the next melbourne franchise with Homicide and Ubaka as the backcourt and during the first local derby, just have them both give Seamus the bird.

Reply #346645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that would be so rad

Reply #346655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd love to see Seamus pay for his behavior. But Homicide and Ubaka on the same team would be disastrous

The Tigers NBL franchise is just Seamus' way of trying to show everyone how big his d*** is. Somebody is obviously compensating for something ;) LOL

Reply #346658 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

You could be onto something there, Anon. Even if Shameless had twelve inches, he probably hasn't been able to see it for thirty years. That's got to affect a man's psyche somehow.

Reply #346672 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

I wonder if McPeake also asked Ubaka for his Tigers polo back before he left?

Reply #346693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a Tigers fan and was at the game last night and it had to be one of the worst games of basketball I have ever seen. If any team wants to beat the Tigers this year ... play ZONE!!! If Trevor Gleeson is supposed to be super coach then you would think he would be able to create an option for someone to score against a 3-2 zone. And if he does have an option against it, then Ubaka has no idea how to run a team.

All the tigers points were fast break's, 3-pointers with the clock winding down, dunks breaking the gold coast press or Trigger in the 1st quarter when he actually had shots dropping. Oh and for them to shoot 40% from the foul line really helps too.

Ubaka's stat's might read okay but he doesn't run any offence and makes those around him worse. He always was looking for his own on ball screen and tried to bully Cadee on the floor and couldn't finish against him. I left the game thinking the Tigers would be better off playing Wilcher because at least he runs a team game than watch Ubaka look for his own shot.

The way the sacking has been handled is a disgrace, but I think it's the right call. Big job now on Daniel Dillon having to play PG as an average ball handler at best, but at least we will find out what he is made of as well as force Gleeson into seeing if Wilcher can handle the NBL more than shooting the 3 ball in warm ups.

My ideal Tigers line-up would be to go and get an athletic PF who REBOUNDS, PLAY DEFENCE, can shoot free throws and at a pinch hit an 18 foot jump shot. A similar type to Jerai Grant would be ideal. Move Dorsey to the 2 because let's face it he doesn't rebound. Move Rush (who seems to have his confidence back) to SF. Only sketchy spot is the PG (and small as hell chance at getting Mills) but let's see what a Victorian kid in Wilcher can do rather than get a busted import who only wants a pay cheque.

C - Trigger (35) /Burston (5)
PF - IMPORT (35) / Walker (5)
SF - Rush (25) / Greer (15)
SG - Dorsey (30) / Lewis (10)
PG - Dillon (30) / Wilcher (10)

Reply #346714 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Check out the article by Mookie on A Stern Warning...

http://www.asternwarning.com/201201161067/articles/nbl/on-tigers-and-keeping-it-professional.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"Tigers, both the "Melbourne" and "Xinjiang Flying" species, have done an admirable job in recent times of showing us how not to treat your basketball players as employees..."

Reply #346716 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Ubaka on Twitter:

"For the record Fans, I was disrespected & told to leave by the owner. I never would quit on coach,team or the fans. Much love "

Reply #346721 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

McPeake makes Mark Cuban look passive.

Reply #346730 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

He recruits the coty & 2 gun imports from last season & it all goes pear shaped. Just goes to show looking good on paper means little. Seamus frustrated to have made no improvement on last season. Could have kept homicide & had dmac & giddey & been middle of the road - & not looked this stupid!

He's obviously a control freak who is passionate about his tigers being contenders. No one likes him & his style but he may have just saved their season. At the end of the day the players are his employees & thats exactly how he treats it. Told Ubaka to 'find a new job'. Ubaka & Dorsey look terrible in whatever it is Trev is running. I'd sack em both!

Mate of mine in the crowd reckons after the game seamus was running around screaming he'd 'sacked the scumbag' & called him a 'useless piece of shit'! He obviously does't hold back & why should he when he's paying people good money & getting no effort in return!

We are about to find out if Gleeson can coach...

Reply #346747 | Report this post

marty  
Years ago

I really can't understand why the Tigers aren't running more. With phenomenal athletes like Dorsey, Dillon, Lewis & co, why not run the fast-break as your first option instead of slow boring sh.t which gives slow heavy defenders an equal chance. I remember seeing one quarter a few games ago when they ran every ball and jeez they did well.

Reply #346750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats Luke Kendall up to these days? He always seems to be the ring in for mid season 'issues'

Reply #346756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tigers only have eight players, thats why theyre not running

Reply #346766 | Report this post

A-train  
Years ago

^^ Tropical Booze

Are you actually serious mate? Your actually have the might to say that Ubaka is not trying his best out there and not giving in his best effort? You have to be out of your mind.

Reply #346799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do people say Ubaka and Dorsey are gun imports? They have never been guns at this standard just good players, and are only on about 140 and 120.

Reply #346804 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Ubaka will be back in the NBL next year as i believe he is the proud owner of a new pooch.Remember mans best friend is a dog!!!!

Reply #346811 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Ubaka is over-rated anyway. And the structure looks horrible with him running it. He wants to score too much, and do his little hesitation thing then jack a three. The offense is so stationary when he has the ball in his hands.
Ontop of that he is a below average person.

Reply #346818 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

And the reason Dorsey still has a job is because he didn't walk out of the room when McPeake went bananas. If your boss came in and started yelling at you at work, then you walked out of the meeting you would get the sack too... this is no different.

Reply #346819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He didn't walk out he was told to get out and find a new job.

Reply #346823 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

^ that isn't what one of the players has said...

Reply #346826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ubaka will probably be back in the NBL in a few days!

Reply #346831 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I would never stand there and take abuse from anyone let alone an overweight dickhead, I couldn't care less if he was my boss or not

Reply #346834 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Seamus McPeake press conference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ag4nkSh7Q

Reply #346846 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Seamus McPeake press conference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ag4nkSh7Q

Reply #346847 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Very amusing happy days!

A train i am suggesting that changes were needed. They were completely out rebounded on Sun & even the coach said they didnt want the ball as bad as GC. Seamus wanted a bite & Ubaka obliged. The Taipans & D Corletto would have little grins from ear to ear right about now!

Reply #346849 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Very amusing happy days!

A train i am suggesting that changes were needed. They were completely out rebounded on Sun & even the coach said they didnt want the ball as bad as GC. Seamus wanted a bite & Ubaka obliged. The Taipans & D Corletto would have little grins from ear to ear right about now!

Reply #346850 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

bahahaha Happy Days nice work

Reply #346852 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

McPeake needs the help of Jenny Craig. If he loses weight, he will feel better about himself and that will reflect on how he treats his staff.

Reply #346897 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

So what do we need most - a PG or a Centre? Personally, I'd go all-out for a good Centre so we can push Trigger or Rush out to PF.
I still reckon we play the wrong kind of game for the guys we have. Trigger and Rush I'd keep cos they're playing well. Dorsey's better than he's showing on offense right now, but he plays great defense. I'd keep Dillon because I reckon the combo of him + Dorsey + a decent PG running hard would be great to watch.
Otherwise, I reckon everyone else is bench material (sorry guys) - certainly not starter material compared to the rest of the league. Time to start trading up.

Reply #346964 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Ubaka to wollongong- cut both catron and "showtime" (irony) and bring in ayinde!

Reply #347008 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:25 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754