underated
Years ago

Most Underrated NBL Players

Who do you guys think have been underrated as NBL Players? Guys who have not always got minutes or lit up the stats sheets but made a big impact all the same.
Darren Ng springs to mind immediately, Luke Martin is used to being on winning teams. Michael Kingma. Drew Williamson. Luke Nevill.

Topic #27412 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Darren Ng, ur kidding me right? all he can do is hit the three and is near enough to useless for anything else. mate you have no clue from both the forumas u have made!

Reply #348293 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

Michael Kingma was mentioned aswell, so yeah id say its a bit of a laugh someones having.

Reply #348300 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Patty Mills

Reply #348301 | Report this post

underated  
Years ago

Kingma has won a couple of NBL Championships, can't argue with that. Even if his job was to prepare the stars to play.

Reply #348302 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

I thought his job was to be a Wookie.

Reply #348305 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

nod - (unfortunately) Darren should appear in over-rated.

Reply #348308 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Corletto.

Reply #348321 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Oscar Forman and James Harvey for me!

Reply #348322 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

Harvey's pay packet doesnt suggest he is under rated at all!

Reply #348326 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

James Harvey was a marquee player earlier in his career and definitely not under rated.

Players like Ian Crosswhite and maybe Mika Vukona are among those who tend not to get mentioned often when people talk about best players in the NBL, past and present, but have a significant impact on how well their teams do around them. In the last few years, Vukona has got more recognition in this respect and probably doesn't fit the under rated category any more.

Dusty Rychart I think never really has been recognised for his worth to the teams for whom he's played, outside of those teams themselves. i.e., 36ers' fans thought highly of him when he played here and Cairns fans likewise now he's there (and Brisbane fans in between). But beyond that, most NBL fans would not rate him as highly as he should be rated.

Reply #348328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree Alexrad, Patty Mills was the MVP favourite in his nine games here when the Tigers were 6-3, look at their record since he left 3-8.

Despite all the press he got he was most certainly underrated.

Reply #348329 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I think you have accidentally put Drew Williamson onto the wrong list.

Reply #348333 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Petrie, Coenraad, Tovey, Boucher, Vikuna, Crosswhite

Reply #348342 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Could even throw Liam Rush in there?

Still think Harvey was underrated, I think he was unlucky to get a Boomers gig in his day.

Reply #348343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jessie Wagstaff

Reply #348346 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Vukona for mine. Does all the hard stuff night in & out & gets little publicity. I'd love to play with him!

Reply #348347 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Wade Helliwell

Reply #348360 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

AK-47,
dyslexia - "impairs a persons ability in reading comprehension accuracy'"(eg.underrated/overrated)
James Harvey IS possibly the most overated player in the history of the nbl......next to Adam Gibson of course.

Reply #348364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

David Stiff .... Championship machine

Reply #348366 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

ALEX PLEDGER!

I think he can be a real force in this league sooner rather than later!

Reply #348373 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Michael Johnson enough said absolute machine but stuck behind
Gaze at international level

Reply #348376 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

Jesse Wagstaff for me!

Reply #348381 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I'd actually say Luke Nevill. Since Matty Knight's injury against the Blaze he's shown some pretty good form. With his height (he's currently the tallest player in the league at 7'2" or 218cm) and skills he could become one of the dominant big men in the NBL along with the likes of Khazzouh and DJ. But like we've seen with DJ here in Adelaide he needs court time to show it.

Reply #348383 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Anthony Petrie.

A pure operator in the post, with foot-work that would work in the same vein as Olajuwon, Pat Reidy (oh yes I did), and Kevin Mchale. Toys with defenders on the regular. Would love to have him on my team.

It's a shame that no one (ie the public) knows what NBL players are paid, so you can't determine "value", and therefore which players are "under valued" and morevoer "underrated".

So in a way this point is moot, given the NBL's tight lips. You can't judge value without knowing how much the bloke is on compared to his opponents and teammates.

Reply #348406 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Cam Tovey.

Reply #348409 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree with a lot of listings here. I think with the league being so young there are a lot of players who are emerging and are probably a bit underrated.

I am very interested to see who in the league's very large 23-28 year old group graduate to be legitimate stars in the next few years.

Reply #348416 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Skull,

opinion - "A view or judgment formed about something"

James Harvey, in his day, was an elite scorer in the NBL. As for Adam Gibson, I rate him as well. Very different views and judgments we have formed about something.

Reply #348575 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

DC and Mika Vikona

Reply #348668 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:21 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754